ADVERTISEMENT

What I've heard over the last week (COACH)...

Aug 23, 2016
Here is what I've heard over the last week or so...

I'm not predicting the following, but here is my best guess on where things stand on some topics...

1. Knox- Latest buzz has been Duke has been coming strong. I think it's Duke/UNC/UK in that order right now.

2. Bamba- UK until I hear something credible enough to change my mind. Mo really likes Shaka that is why you hear some Texas stuff. Writers take that and run, well Texas is also leaking that.

3. Cam Johnson- Pitt guy is still set for UK. Florida is fall back plan right now. Good player, question if there is room.

The BIG ONE...

4. Big Bam Abedeyo- I've heard by someone close to him, he's coming back to UK unless his stock increases here soon.

Now, this a single source on that end, but a good one. Mom in on board with a second year now, both looking big picture.

What I do know is that people around UK has contacted multiple NBA teams about whether they think he'd be around early 2nd round. Basically looking for a guarantee that he's a first rounder.

If he starts working out for some of the scrub teams, then they're preparing for a 2nd round slot. If he's working out mainly with playoff teams then he's probably in the 20's.

Feedback is right now, is that he's late 1 (probably)... It's a tough call. Mom loves Coach Cal and trusts him. Coach Cal is doing everything possible for Bam to get him a locked 1st round.

^ All this is coming from NBA front office person I'm friends with and has taken a call.

Last edited:

I'm not predicting the following, but here is my best guess on where things stand on some topics...

1. Knox- Latest buzz has been Duke has been coming strong. I think it's Duke/UNC/UK in that order right now.

2. Bamba- UK until I hear something credible enough to change my mind. Mo really likes Shaka that is why you hear some Texas stuff. Writers take that and run, well Texas is also leaking that.

3. Cam Johnson- Pitt guy is still set for UK. Florida is fall back plan right now. Good player, question if there is room.

The BIG ONE...

4. Big Bam Abedeyo- I've heard by someone close to him, he's coming back to UK unless his stock increases here soon.

Now, this a single source on that end, but a good one. Mom in on board with a second year now, both looking big picture.

What I do know is that people around UK has contacted multiple NBA teams about whether they think he'd be around early 2nd round. Basically looking for a guarantee that he's a first rounder.

If he starts working out for some of the scrub teams, then they're preparing for a 2nd round slot. If he's working out mainly with playoff teams then he's probably in the 20's.

Feedback is right now, is that he's late 1 (probably)... It's a tough call. Mom loves Coach Cal and trusts him. Coach Cal is doing everything possible for Bam to get him a locked 1st round.

Awesome info Coach and thanks.

Obvious question is if Bam comes back does that push Bamba away?

Reactions: RipThru
So Johnson is essentially waiting to make sure Bam leaves. That's big news, thanks for sharing.

Somewhat off-topic question: How do teams "come on strong?" We hear this a lot in recruiting and I've never understood it. So a team recruits a top-10 kid since he's like a sophomore, give him every recruiting pitch in the book, make it known he's top priority, answer and address all questions he and his parents and his camp have, and then we hear that they're coming on strong. What is Duke possibly doing now that they haven't been doing for two years?

So Johnson is essentially waiting to make sure Bam leaves. That's big news, thanks for sharing.

Somewhat off-topic question: How do teams "come on strong?" We hear this a lot in recruiting and I've never understood it. So a team recruits a top-10 kid since he's like a sophomore, give him every recruiting pitch in the book, make it known he's top priority, answer and address all questions he and his parents and his camp have, and then we hear that they're coming on strong. What is Duke possibly doing now that they haven't been doing for two years?
I think you meant bamba . Johnson and Bam have nothing to do with one another.

Capel laying it on strong with his yearly negative anti-Kentucky spiel.

I think this saying just means that the player is thinking more about a certain school than they might have been previously.

I just still can't believe that Bamba and Bam end up on the same team. Would be amazing but I just don't see it, not with who else is on the roster,

So is Bamba waiting on Bam? I saw them interview Bamba at Jordan Brand and the guy asked if Bamba was waiting to see how the NBA workouts went and he said that's part of it. Who else could he be waiting for as far as the workouts than Bam??

Reactions: KentuckyCat420
So is Bamba waiting on Bam? I saw them interview Bamba at Jordan Brand and the guy asked if Bamba was waiting to see how the NBA workouts went and he said that's part of it. Who else could he be waiting for as far as the workouts than Bam??
I find it very hard to believe Bamba aint waiting to see if Bam comes back. Mind you I would much rather have Bam but I just don't see anyway Bamba would play with Bam as he would of committed by now as there is no one else to wait for . It just makes too much sense.

The thing about Bam is he will workout for lotto teams and playoff teams so can't go by that (same thing my nephew did in the draft process). It was always set that if he doesn't perform well in workouts as far as being a high first, he would be coming back

The BIG ONE...

^ All this is coming from NBA front office person I'm friends with and has taken a call.

If Bam and Bam(ba) becomes an actual thing, I'll be really curious what happens with Gabriel and SKJ. Because honestly, under that scenario, I see very little room for them to crack the rotation. I'd see the main 8 as Green/SGA/Diallo in the back court, Bam/Bamba/Richards/Vanderbilt/Washington on the front court. The other 5 would seem to be fighting for scraps.

Other than 14-15, here's the number of players per year that have averaged over 10 mpg:

17- 7
16- 8
14- 7
13- 8
12- 7
11- 6
10- 9

I still can't see how Bam and Bamba are both at Kentucky next year. Yes, different positions, but both can shift between the 4 and 5. I think whoever picks Kentucky first, sends the other one to the NBA/different school.

The BIG ONE...

Mahalo Coach !!!

AlohaCat

If Bam and Bam(ba) becomes an actual thing, I'll be really curious what happens with Gabriel and SKJ. Because honestly, under that scenario, I see very little room for them to crack the rotation. I'd see the main 8 as Green/SGA/Diallo in the back court, Bam/Bamba/Richards/Vanderbilt/Washington on the front court. The other 5 would seem to be fighting for scraps.

Other than 14-15, here's the number of players per year that have averaged over 10 mpg:

17- 7
16- 8
14- 7
13- 8
12- 7
11- 6
10- 9

Something will have to give. It might not necessarily be Gabriel either. JV, PJ and Richards *could* have their struggles allowing for a guy like Gabriel to grab minutes as a sophomore.

If we have Bam and Bamba, we won't be able to please everyone. Seeing as how a transfer adds another year.. I would wonder if a guy like Washington, more of a 4, wouldn't want to be released and play for his 2nd school by Fall.

I'm trying to figure out how our roster would look -

C. Bamba
PF. Bam
SF. Vanderbilt
SG. Diallo
PG. Green
6. Washington
7. Richards
8. Gabriel
9. Johnson
10. Baker
11. SKJ
12. Wynyard

Is there anyone I'm missing?

17- 7
16- 8
14- 7
13- 8
12- 7
11- 6
10- 9
Gabriel will play regardless but I could definetly see SKJ transferring this summer if that happened , which we all know that is unlikely. A dream come true but unlikely.

I find it very hard to believe Bamba aint waiting to see if Bam comes back. Mind you I would much rather have Bam but I just don't see anyway Bamba would play with Bam as he would of committed by now as there is no one else to wait for . It just makes too much sense.

Agree, so the way I see it we get Bam or Bamba next year with a small chance for both. I just want one or the other, and we will be solid. If we get NEITHER, that's when I don't feel so great about next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT