ADVERTISEMENT

What is DJ Wagner Doing?

Too many guys visiting and some leaning now. Got a feeling the room at the inn may be close to full this time next week.
Are you saying that it's a bad thing that so many are visiting? Are you thinking we'll miss out on the guys that are going to popup as the better players?

Are you saying that it's a bad thing that so many are visiting? Are you thinking we'll miss out on the guys that are going to popup as the better players?
No, it is a good thing to me. Noticed the Seton Hall star just jumped in. Hopefully we can get a visit from him and have room. But I am glad things are moving along. Players are committing everywhere so we don't need to be dragging on it.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Davis (assuming he comes) will start regardless who else commits.
It’s cute that you think you know Cal’s starting player habits.

Here’s a newsflash for you: Cal doesn’t start the best players. It’s why Devin Booker didn’t start, it’s why Tyler Ulis didn’t start, it’s why Reed Sheppard didn’t start and it’s why Rob Dillingham didn’t start. Cal plays who he wants to play, and doesn’t give a **** what the fans think.

It’s cute that you think you know Cal’s starting player habits.

Here’s a newsflash for you: Cal doesn’t start the best players. It’s why Devin Booker didn’t start, it’s why Tyler Ulis didn’t start, it’s why Reed Sheppard didn’t start and it’s why Rob Dillingham didn’t start. Cal plays who he wants to play, and doesn’t give a **** what the fans think.
Ok, well I’ll be here, so if Davis doesn’t start I’ll eat every bit of my crow. I’m just telling you Davis will 100% start.

Ok, well I’ll be here, so if Davis doesn’t start I’ll eat every bit of my crow. I’m just telling you Davis will 100% start.
Oh he may. But to think there’s any logic, or any rhyme or reason to Calipari’s decisions is hilarious. The man is so arrogant and stubborn that he will make mind-boggling decisions just to spite the fans. He’s THAT petty. And it’s part of the reason the fanbase turned on him. You’ll see.

Cal will start one or two transfers every year. I don't know who you will get. Davis will be one outsider that will start. This year is not normal for him. We are telling you what it will probably morph into little by little. You can bet that Fland, Wagner, Knox, Richmond and Z will get plenty of the minutes available. While some good transfers will play, these guys will suck minutes from having the best players on the floor most of the time.

Reactions: catben
Oh he may. But to think there’s any logic, or any rhyme or reason to Calipari’s decisions is hilarious. The man is so arrogant and stubborn that he will make mind-boggling decisions just to spite the fans. He’s THAT petty. And it’s part of the reason the fanbase turned on him. You’ll see.
Brother I’ve seen. I remember him busting our ass at UMASS with Lou Rowe and Marcus Camby, then jim disrespecting us at Memphis, he stopped playing us so he could focus on “national games” instead of “regional games”, and obviously I’ve seen him with y’all, and I know who he is. I’m not naive, but what I know for sure and to put it in terms you should get. I’d rather have a thoroughbred with a pretty good jockey, than a farm horse with a great jockey.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie

A transfer has led UK in minutes played every year for the last 4 years. Davis will just fill Reeves role.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I was honestly hoping DJ returned, I have nothing against the kid. Other than Cal misusing him and putting him in a bad position.
I agree. DJ seemed to be a great kid and I wish him the best. IMO, he should find a good school and lock in for 3 years and work on his game and stop worrying about the NBA draft status. If he will take care of his development patiently under a good coach, his opportunity in the NBA will be maximized. Get his degree and then take what the NBA opportunity offers.

Reactions: Haggin_Hall_1983
So would i
Absolutely. Tons of potential. Great getting to the basket and finishing. Needs to work on jump shooting and passing. He was put in a bad spot by Cal. Pope would coach him up to high draft pick in a couple of years. If you are not one and done Cals agents don’t pay him and he is finished with you.

Reactions: Jazzycat
IQ
Terence Jones
PJ Washington
Tyler Ulis

That's off the top of my head.
Richards
Ullis
Hairson(x2)
Cauly Stien
Jorts
Liggins
Hawkins
Willis
And that's just off the top of my head too.

About everybody gets better, if they continue to work at it.

I would love to have DJ back starting at the point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazzycat
If any player and their family are stupid enough to fall for that scam, then they are going to get exactly what they deserve.
Same goes for Thiero and Z. In that they deserve what they get because they went to Arkansas even though Cal treated them like poop. I still don't understand that.

Also, I have a question.. Suppose that Cal really did plan it out for DJ to wait and announce his transfer to Arkansas so it wouldn't scare off another player. If it was found out that Cal intentionally did that, could Cal be in legal trouble for deceiving the player that committed, unaware of the plan for DJ to play knowing Cal has him as a favorite? I am just curious. That thought crossed my mind because DJ hasn't committed to Arkansas yet and I thought he would be among the first.

Last edited:
Same goes for Thiero and Z. In that they deserve what they get because they went to Arkansas even though Cal treated them like poop. I still don't understand that.

Also, I have a question.. Suppose that Cal really did plan it out for DJ to wait and announce his transfer to Arkansas so it wouldn't scare off another player. If it was found out that Cal intentionally did that, could Cal be in legal trouble for deceiving the player that committed, unaware of the plan for DJ to play knowing Cal has him as a favorite? I am just curious. That thought crossed my mind because DJ hasn't committed to Arkansas yet and I thought he would be among the first.
Cal is pure scum in terms of what's he's done to UK and the college basketball world, and what his job title actually called for him to do. I just pray that he's never affiliated with UK again, and quietly goes off to pet his dogs in the afterlife. I also hope that very few of "his guys" ever come around UK again, as they're complicit in this, too. Especially Sharpe.

Reactions: susan2361
It may be a myth, but I've heard that in far away lands some coaches actually teach and develop players so that they improve on their weaknesses.
Could it be that you bumped your damn head!!!! For the past several years, the NBA has been signing Cal's guys based solely on potential. The fact that the NBA has no interest in DJ suggest they don't see any potential no matter how much coaching-up he receives. So, it isn't a myth it is just plain stupid.

Last edited:
I love the optimism, but mark pope has never coached a first round pick, Calipari has coached several, at UMass, Memphis and Kentucky. What makes you think dj would become a first rounder under pope?
Wow! If the guy can coach a 3-star to the level of getting NBA attention, what in the name of poor-Cal-coaching are you thinking?? Coaching is coaching regardless of however many or few stars that are assigned to the players being coached. You are giving Cal credit for doing what? Cal's players made it to the NBA because they would have made it to the NBA even if they had never heard the name John Calipari.

Last edited:
Wow! If the guy can coach a 3-star to the level of getting NBA attention, what in the name of poor-Cal-coaching are you thinking?? Coaching is coaching regardless of however many or few stars that are assigned to the players being coached. You are giving Cal credit for doing what? Cal's players made it to the NBA because they would have made it to the NBA even if they had never heard the name John Calipari.
True. Dalton Knecht was unranked, now projected top 10 pick, Rick Barnes is the best! Ryan Dunn was a 3 star recruit, projected first round pick, Tony Bennett is the best!

• Sad
Reactions: ruppsrunt66
True. Dalton Knecht was unranked, now projected top 10 pick, Rick Barnes is the best! Ryan Dunn was a 3 star recruit, projected first round pick, Tony Bennett is the best!
Of those NBA players that have played for Calipari, which ones do you think got there because of Cal's coaching?

Yep, fans give coaches WAY too much credit for this sort of thing.

Hell, if credit is due to the coach, then that means that Tom Crean is a friggin genius. He took unknown lowly-rated recruits like Dwayne Wade and Victor Oladipo and turned them into NBA All Stars and and a Hall of Famer!

Truth is, usually it’s just a case of a coach getting lucky when he has one of those late bloomers. The kid still would’ve blossomed into a star regardless of what coach he played for.

Of those NBA players that have played for Calipari, which ones do you think got there because of Cal's coaching?
Not a single one of UK former players owe Cal credit for their success. They got there because the NBA discounted the damage Cal did to them. The NBA considered what they did prior to Cal's sorry "A" coaching. Reed appears to be a top 5 pick even though Cal at times had to be pressured to play him. If Cal was really a great coach and talent evaluator, he would have realized Reed's potential. Cal is nothing more than a frontrunner chaser. He chases players with the highest number of stars. There is nothing special about that.

Last edited:
Same question, except with mark pope? I’m glad Calipari is gone but saying he can’t get kids to the NBA or can recruit is just hating.
No one has ever accused Cal of not being able to recruit. His ability to recruit is the only reason for his past and future relevance. Accept it or not, Cal had nothing to do with his players getting to the NBA.

Reactions: cat tat2
Cal is pure scum in terms of what's he's done to UK and the college basketball world, and what his job title actually called for him to do. I just pray that he's never affiliated with UK again, and quietly goes off to pet his dogs in the afterlife. I also hope that very few of "his guys" ever come around UK again, as they're complicit in this, too. Especially Sharpe.
Relax. Wanna remove the 2011-12 banner then? Honestly, stop.

Not a single one of UK former players owe Cal credit for their success. They got there because the NBA discounted the damage Cal did to them. The NBA considered what they did prior to Cal's sorry "A" coach. Reed appears to be a top 5 pick even though Cal at times had to be pressured to play him. If Cal was really a great coach and talent evaluator, he would have realized Reed's potential. Cal is nothing more than a frontrunner chaser. He chases players with the highest number of stars. There is nothing special about that.
Revisionist history is one hell of a drug.

No one has ever accused Cal of not being able to recruit. His ability to recruit is the only reason for his past and future relevance. Accept it or not, Cal had nothing to do with his players getting to the NBA.
I have seen someone on this board say, “isnt it refreshing having a coach working this hard on the recruiting trail”. I will not accept that Calipari had nothing to do with getting his players to the NBA. Would they have made it if they went to another school? Sure. But you could say the same about 99% of NBA players. I would agree with you if he didn’t have players like Reed Sheppard, SGA, Tyler Herro, who were not expected to come in and be one and done lottery draft picks, but they were and are going to be. Hate on Calipari for A LOT of things, his ability to recruit and his ability to get players drafted, never will be one of them.

I have seen someone on this board say, “isnt it refreshing having a coach working this hard on the recruiting trail”. I will not accept that Calipari had nothing to do with getting his players to the NBA. Would they have made it if they went to another school? Sure. But you could say the same about 99% of NBA players. I would agree with you if he didn’t have players like Reed Sheppard, SGA, Tyler Herro, who were not expected to come in and be one and done lottery draft picks, but they were and are going to be. Hate on Calipari for A LOT of things, his ability to recruit and his ability to get players drafted, never will be one of them.
You believe Cal had something to do with Reed? Wow!!!! You are a Cal worshiper. Reed is where he is in spite of the obvious bias Cal had against Reed as with all Kentucky kids.

I don't care if you accept it or not. Your lack of acceptance doesn't change the fact that Cal is neither a good coach nor a developer of players. There hasn't been another coach in the history of the game to do so little with so much talent. If Cal hadn't been fortunate enough to be the only early participant in one-and-done players, Cal wouldn't have the lone NC. Why? Coach K would have out recruited him, and it is unlikely that his team would have had the superior talent that it had.

You believe Cal had something to do with Reed? Wow!!!! You are a Cal worshiper. Reed is where he is in spite of the obvious bias Cal had against Reed as with all Kentucky kids.

I don't care if you accept it or not. Your lack of acceptance doesn't change the fact that Cal is neither a good coach nor a developer of players. There hasn't been another coach in the history of the game to do so little with so much talent. If Cal hadn't been fortunate enough to be the only early participant in one-and-done players, Cal wouldn't have the lone NC. Why? Coach K would have out recruited him, and it is unlikely that his team would have had the superior talent that it had.
Why? Because Calipari didn’t start Reed?! That’s absurd. We all know pope would have started him. That would be like bringing Jaxson Robinson off the bench at BYU. nuts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT