ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Kiyaunta Goodwin?

jimmybuffet123

Freshman
Jun 22, 2011
I was wondering what ever happened to the young man. So much potential, but just doesn’t seem to be utilizing it.

Last article I could find was Sept 2023, saying he decided to sit out the year.

Reactions: footerball
I was wondering what ever happened to the young man. So much potential, but just doesn’t seem to be utilizing it.

Last article I could find was Sept 2023, saying he decided to sit out the year.
IIRC there was some serious illness in his family that took him away from playing. Far as I know he's out of football.

A great example of how recruiting is a very inexact science. Pretty much EVERYBODY offered Goodwin who looked like a dominant OT in the making. For a variety of reasons, he didn't make much of an impression at UK, transferred and treaded water (FL?) and then, due to family issues, basically quit football. His heart seems in the right place choosing family over football. I have no hard feelings whatsoever about him. Wonder what his opportunities are now that football seems to be off the table. I'd guess not nearly as rosy but who knows?

Reactions: Lost In FL
A great example of how recruiting is a very inexact science. Pretty much EVERYBODY offered Goodwin who looked like a dominant OT in the making. For a variety of reasons, he didn't make much of an impression at UK, transferred and treaded water (FL?) and then, due to family issues, basically quit football. His heart seems in the right place choosing family over football. I have no hard feelings whatsoever about him. Wonder what his opportunities are now that football seems to be off the table. I'd guess not nearly as rosy but who knows?
There were rumors he was trying to get his classes in order to walk on at U6. May not be true. Mentally he wasn’t ready but according to an asst OLine coach physically he was ready. To play as a freshman

Reactions: bluecoon1
There were rumors he was trying to get his classes in order to walk on at U6. May not be true. Mentally he wasn’t ready but according to an asst OLine coach physically he was ready. To play as a freshman
Don't know if true but had heard he had weight problems as a young teen, frequently topping out over 400 pounds, then went to the gym in Louisville where he seemed to turn a corner, led to scholarship offers from everywhere culminating with UK signing him. But after arriving at UK the S&C program never took hold, he transferred out, then the family health problems arose. I'd like to see the light come on for the guy, don't care where he ends up as long as he takes advantage of the opportunities presented to him. I think he needs JUCO time if he wants to get back on the field.

He did play at UK, was on the XP/FG unit as a true frosh. If you think back to that time, UK had several kicks blocked, many came thru him.

That's too bad, even if football didn't work out for him that degree would have been priceless for him.
That was the intent of my posting above. Would like to see him at a JUCO, taking advantage of tremendous physical gifts to get his education. He still has time.

That was the intent of my posting above. Would like to see him at a JUCO, taking advantage of tremendous physical gifts to get his education. He still has time.

I remember he was a huge win for UK on the recruiting trail.

On a different note, I have looked for a thread about Sydney and haven't seen one so I will say it here. Pre race the 400 hurdles was built as a show down between her and Bol. And it looked like it would be in the qualifying heats. Then the finals came and Sydney not only broke her own world record, she broke Bol who tried to stay with her. So much in fact that Bol dropped to third and came close to not medaling. Most dominant performer on the track imo. And the girl that won the 100H is also a UK girl I believe. Quite the Olympics for UK female hurdlers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT