ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Charlie Strong

Swimcat20

Blue Chip Prospect
Dec 27, 2014
When he left UL for Texas he was the hottest up and coming coach in the country. Now after a 4-8 season at South Florida he's gone, most likely out of head coaching forever. How did he ever do so well at U6? How the hell did he get Florida stud players like Teddy Bridgewater to pass up Florida State, Miami, and the entire SEC to go 1000 miles to play at Louisville? Then he falls apart at a powerhouse like Texas. I don't get it.

When he left UL for Texas he was the hottest up and coming coach in the country. Now after a 4-8 season at South Florida he's gone, most likely out of head coaching forever. How did he ever do so well at U6? How the hell did he get Florida stud players like Teddy Bridgewater to pass up Florida State, Miami, and the entire SEC to go 1000 miles to play at Louisville? Then he falls apart at a powerhouse like Texas. I don't get it.
He cheated at UL. It’s a living legacy at that worthless commuter school in football and basketball.

Charlie never got the support of boosters at Texas. When he was hired the majority of them rolled up the welcome mats.

How he didn't recruit and win more at USF defies logic. Just getting the leftovers in the state of Florida he should have gotten at least 7 wins a year in that conference. Turns out without Clint Hurt and a dynamic QB Charlie is just a good defensive coordinator.

Charlie never got the support of boosters at Texas. When he was hired the majority of them rolled up the welcome mats.

How he didn't recruit and win more at USF defies logic. Just getting the leftovers in the state of Florida he should have gotten at least 7 wins a year in that conference. Turns out without Clint Hurt and a dynamic QB Charlie is just a good defensive coordinator.
Yeah, Hurtt's deep pockets and the use of Miami street agents. When that dried up so did his career.

Have always heard rumors he nailed a boosters wife at Texas.

In addition to Transfer U? It was a chancellors wife here, or so the story goes.

I wasn't there so I don't know all the gory details.

But the master mind cheater that ran things at Transfer U was jurich. Thought it was funny when he couldn't fire hurtt when the NCAA told him to. Of course the NCAA is a joke too.

Reactions: dckala2
He cheated at UL. It’s a living legacy at that worthless commuter school in football and basketball.
On top of that he was an overrated coach to begin with. I could not think of a worse hire for UT football unless you go back to the David McWilliams days.

Reactions: irishcat1965

Lot of truth to this. The majority of UT fans had never even heard of him and didn't want him. He was a Public Relations disaster which is a major part of the job at UT and never fit in. It takes way more than x's and o's to coach in Austin. One has to be a coach, politician, diplomat and major brown nose to the boosters.

Lot of truth to this.
He was a Public Relations disaster which is a major part of the job at UT and never fit in. It takes way more than x's and o's to coach in Austin. One has to be a coach, politician, diplomat and major brown nose to the boosters.
Sounds like a FB version of Gillispie......

xcsc.gif

Racist...pure unadulterated racist! That can be the only reason! :football::boxing::chairshot: had someone close to me tell me this.

No he did that at Louisville. It was filed as part of boosters divorce proceedings the same year he left for Texas.
Too bad he wasn't nailing Jurichs wife . Now THAT would have been hilarious . Heck , he may have been . They're into a lot of weird stuff over there .

Reactions: JDHoss
Racist...pure unadulterated racist! That can be the only reason! :football::boxing::chairshot: had someone close to me tell me this.
When it comes to the Texas boosters there might be some truth to that. I mean that is the same fan base that sent Kevin Sumlin "the" racist letter. Just in case people forgot that racist letter everyone said Kevin Sumlin faked was real and arrest was made. The man who sent the letter was a Texas Longhorns fan.

I dont think he really has any excuses for failing at USF though.

When it comes to the Texas boosters there might be some truth to that. I mean that is the same fan base that sent Kevin Sumlin "the" racist letter. Just in case people forgot that racist letter everyone said Kevin Sumlin faked was real and arrest was made. The man who sent the letter was a Texas Longhorns fan.
I wasn't totally serious...that is the accepted excuse these days. Because one (several) person/people are racist dosen't mean there is a severe problem in the fan base. The left is getting ridiculous with this this thing.

Reactions: catswillwin
Sometimes guys just make better assistant coaches. The two best that I can think of are Dave Wannestadt and Norv Turner, both were great as coordinators in Dallas but never really panned out as the main guy. Turner is still a great, innovative, offensive mind, but just never cut it as the head coach. I think Charlie would still be a great defensive coordinator if he's given or even wants that chance now.

Sounds like a FB version of Gillispie......
He wasn't a jerk in front of the camera but you could just tell that he was very uncomfortable being interviewed. A couple of sports reporters referred to him as "a nightmare interview" because they literally had to pull answers out of him.

Sometimes guys just make better assistant coaches. The two best that I can think of are Dave Wannestadt and Norv Turner, both were great as coordinators in Dallas but never really panned out as the main guy. Turner is still a great, innovative, offensive mind, but just never cut it as the head coach. I think Charlie would still be a great defensive coordinator if he's given or even wants that chance now.
Joker Phillips

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
True, there's a lot of coaches out there that know the game but just aren't HC material for whatever reason.

All that money and Blue's wife make Cholly lazy. Going through the motions and drawing check in Tampatown. I imagine he retire now. Make good beach bum.

One of those guys who's probably a better coordinator than HC.

Having said that, he was on a nice track at UL.

Texas is a monster and in a strange place as a program. It takes a very specific kind of person to do that job.

USF is quite surprising. I thought he would do well in Florida where he recruits well, and at a smaller program with not so high standards or pressure...not to mention a mid-major conference. Not sure what the deal is there. Maybe UCF and FAU coming up affected his recruiting in Florida. Then you have UCF, Memphis, Houston, and Cinci becoming solid football programs in the AAC.

Look for him to pop up somewhere in the south as a coordinator as coaches are changing programs and putting together their staffs.

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
One of those guys who's probably a better coordinator than HC.

Having said that, he was on a nice track at UL.

Texas is a monster and in a strange place as a program. It takes a very specific kind of person to do that job.

USF is quite surprising. I thought he would do well in Florida where he recruits well, and at a smaller program with not so high standards or pressure...not to mention a mid-major conference. Not sure what the deal is there. Maybe UCF and FAU coming up affected his recruiting in Florida. Then you have UCF, Memphis, Houston, and Cinci becoming solid football programs in the AAC.

Look for him to pop up somewhere in the south as a coordinator as coaches are changing programs and putting together their staffs.

As long as the head coach's wife isn't too good looking it'll probably work out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT