ADVERTISEMENT

What happen to Clemson?

Horhay961

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2018
Clemson was a middle of the road team, then exploded seemingly overnight. Couple of music city bowls vs us, to national title games. Was it Dabo becoming head coach that put them over the top?

Clemson was a middle of the road team, then exploded seemingly overnight. Couple of music city bowls vs us, to national title games. Was it Dabo becoming head coach that put them over the top?

Partly Sweeney, but they have always had more tradition. South Carolina dropping off after Spurrier left probably helped as well. Clemson wasn’t always mediocre.

Partly Sweeney, but they have always had more tradition. South Carolina dropping off after Spurrier left probably helped as well. Clemson wasn’t always mediocre.

Swinney was their coach for 7 years before this escalation. Had a couple 2 loss seasons where they finished top 10, but this is clearly a big step up.

They have always wanted to win at Clemson. Sweeney took it to another level when he started going into other states and grabbing players, especially out of Georgia. From 2016 to 2019, Clemson signed the top player from South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Indiana and Kansas at least once.

They have always wanted to win at Clemson. Sweeney took it to another level when he started going into other states and grabbing players, especially out of Georgia. From 2016 to 2019, Clemson signed the top player from South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Indiana and Kansas at least once.

I bet he’s on the hot seat for not snagging the number one guys outta New Hampshire and Vermont.

He hired Chad Morris as OC who recruited and landed DeShaun Watson and Sammy Watkins. Venables was another hire who landed elite Dlineman.

This AND they built the program up while VT, Miami, FSU and USCe was either stagnant or on the decline. Perfect storm really.

That's what pissed me off about UK and Mitch. UK should have made a splash hire instead of Joker. The SECe was prime for the picking at that time with everybody else in transition. Freaking Vandy about got it done with Franklin, that's how vulnerable the east was. Just think, UK could be sitting pretty like Clemson today.

This AND they built the program up while VT, Miami, FSU and USCe was either stagnant or on the decline. Perfect storm really.

That's what pissed me off about UK and Mitch. UK should have made a splash hire instead of Joker. The SECe was prime for the picking at that time with everybody else in transition. Freaking Vandy about got it done with Franklin, that's how vulnerable the east was. Just think, UK could be sitting pretty like Clemson today.

Georgia being no real threat to compete for a national title didnt hurt either. He was grabbing good players out of Georgia before Kirby got there. Still does get a few..

Stick with VT please and leave UK alone!

Dabo before Venables: 29-19 (.604 winning percentage)
Dabo with Venables: 101-12 (.894 winning percentage)

Reactions: 59DAWG
He had zero loyalty to assistants who weren't getting the job done, went out and broke boundaries for what coordinators were making and been able to keep them, especially the DC.

Then FSU, VT and Miami slipping some, their toughest games have all been OOC games.

Reactions: RocknRollCats

We just hired Brooks and I hated it but he grew on me. Folks weren't knocking the door down to get here. We have improved our facilities and spend more on football now. If we have to hire someone else the job my be better now! Hope Stoops can keep going and get more great assistants!!

Yeah, I don't know why Vanderbilt doesn't make a splash hire either.

To put into perspective how far Clemson has come, in 2006 we beat them in the Music City Bowl. Making good hires, and supporting your program with $$$$ will do that for you.

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
They hired internally and chose their WR coach to become head coach. No, that's what they did.

The Rock, the Indoor Slide, and of course Recruiting, Recruiting and Recruiting!! Lol As was said, Success Leads to more success. I see our rise that we’re getting ready to take almost the same that happened with them actually. A couple more big seasons and boom, I do see the next few years being the greatest run in our history. I’m sure excited about it anyway! Lol.

Reactions: Greasy Creak Mafia
They hired internally and chose their WR coach to become head coach. No, that's what they did.
Pretty good fortune with the obscure internal Dabo hire after a long string of mediocre HC’s by comparison (Hatfield, West, T. Bowden, etc). I remember major sports outlets making fun of the move....one in particular graded out the Swinney hire as a D+

Reactions: JDHoss
To put into perspective how far Clemson has come, in 2006 we beat them in the Music City Bowl. Making good hires, and supporting your program with $$$$ will do that for you.
Lots of truth to this. I work with some Clemson alums (unfortunately) and they've showed me pictures of their football facilities. Very impressive and they've pumped millions of dollars into their football program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT