ADVERTISEMENT

Speculation on Bowl Destination

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
There are only 9 bowl eligible teams in the SEC this year. This means the lowest tier of bowls who are eligible for an SEC team won’t get one, likeliest the Birmingham Bowl, the Independence, the Gasparilla and the Liberty Bowls will not have an SEC team team available.

It looks very possible for the SEC to land 4 teams in NYD6 bowls, with Ole Miss being the only one the Top 4 ranked SEC teams “on the bubble.” They will likely be ranked 10th or 11th by the committee, with Mizzou, Bama and Georgia ranked above them, and securely in NYD6 bowls.

The last of the 12 NYD6 bowl slots will be filled by a G5 program, as none are in shooting range of actually getting ranked in the Top 12 . . . so the highest ranked team among the G5 gets a slot, even if ranked 18th.

All conference Champions in the 5 Power Five conferences get a slot, even if not ranked in the Top 12. All five conferences have Top 12 ranked teams, although the ACC has only one, FSU, as we (very likely) knocked U of L well out of the Top 12.

So, as long as FSU beats U of L in their championship game, and all other conferences are “chalk,” in their title games, the Top 11 ranked teams will join the best of the G5 for the 12 slots in the NYD6 bowks.

I believe Ole Miss and the 3 SEC teams ranked ahead of them all get NYD6 bowl berths.

Citrus has the next pick, and typically chooses. The highest ranked SEC team that did not make the NYD6 bowls.

Citrus would then likely pick LSU.

After the Citrus, the “Group of Six” bowls are filled in consultation with league office, the schools and the bowl committees.

Usually, the best remaining team gets the Tampa/Reliaquest Bowl, meaning Tennessee would play in Tampa on January 1st at noon.

This leaves the remaining 5 bowls from the G6 bowls with only three bowl eligible
SEC teams, aTm at 7-5, UK at 7-5, and Auburn at 6-6.

These bowls are the Gator, the Charlotte Mayo, the Music City, the Texas and the Liberty.

Only the Citrus can (and does) allow repeats. Hence we cannot go to Nashville.

I would assume that the two bowls who get “left out” from among these 5 will be the two lowest paying bowls.

From recollection, alone, I think the Liberty and Mayo Bowls are the lowest paying. That would leave the Gator, the Music City and the Texas Bowl for the three remaining SEC teams.

My best guess is we get the Gator, aTm gets the Texas, and Auburn the Music City bowl.

[Edit With Confirmation of This Year’s Bowl Payouts].

Bowl Payouts:
Citrus . . . . . . . . . . $8,224,578
Reliaquest . . . . . . $6,400,000
Texas . . . . . . . . . . .$6,400,000
Music City . . . . . . $5,700,000
Gator/TS . . . . . . . .$5,350,000
Duke’s Mayo . . . . .$4,780,461
Liberty. . . . . . . . . . $4,700,000

Last edited:
Good breakdown. The Gator is the SEC vs ACC/Big10. Any thoughts on who the opposing team could be?

Just curious, if Fla St goes to the playoffs, doesn't UL get Orange bowl?

I saw that projected, so maybe.

If so, that could move everyone down a slot in my projections for SEC teams.

If UT doesn’t do Tampa, they will insist on Jacksonville as they did in 2019.

But if Ole Miss is 10th, instead of 11th, they would not get bumped down to Citrus by U of L’s inclusion.

Yes unless they really drop Louisville and NC State jumps us. I don’t see that happening since we beat NC State head to head and will be playing an extra game. In reality Louisville needs to beat FSU to assure an Orange Bowl berth.

Reactions: The-Hack
Yes unless they really drop Louisville and NC State jumps us. I don’t see that happening since we beat NC State head to head and will be playing an extra game. In reality Louisville needs to beat FSU to assure an Orange Bowl berth.
Wow.. If the Cards drop two in a row, who knows.

In the past, our number two went to the Sugar when Bama made the playoffs, but the SEC’s number two was always highly ranked.

Last edited:
I just want to avoid Duke. We all know what the conversation by the broadcast crew would focus upon if we get Duke.
Probably wouldn't be Duke, but oddly the bball crosstalk wouldn't bother me. 🤷🏻‍♂️ There'd also be crosstalk if we played UNC.

Reactions: The-Hack
Just found it in writing.

Yes, the highest ranked ACC team, even if not Top 12, gets the Orange Bowl slot.

“The game will be televised on ESPN and will feature a matchup between the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Champion (or the highest-ranked ACC team if the champion is in the playoff).”

Reactions: Nuke99m
Very nice write up. Seems all the media predictors are saying mayo bowl. I enjoyed Charlotte a few years ago but unfortunately today is a much different world with opt outs etc. After last year, sadly I'm on the fence which is something I never thought I'd say.

There are only 9 bowl eligible teams in the SEC this year. This means the lowest tier of bowls who are eligible for an SEC team won’t get one, likeliest the Birmingham Bowl, the Independence, the Gasparilla and the Liberty Bowls will not have an SEC team team available.

It looks very possible for the SEC to land 4 teams in NYD6 bowls, with Ole Miss being the only one the Top 4 ranked SEC teams “on the bubble.” They will likely be ranked 10th or 11th by the committee, with Mizzou, Bama and Georgia ranked above them, and securely in NYD6 bowls.

The last of the 12 NYD6 bowl slots will be filled by a G5 program, as none are in shooting range of actually getting ranked in the Top 12 . . . so the highest ranked team among the G5 gets a slot, even if ranked 18th.

All conference Champions in the 5 Power Five conferences get a slot, even if not ranked in the Top 12. All five conferences have Top 12 ranked teams, although the ACC has only one, FSU, as we (very likely) knocked U of L well out of the Top 12.

So, as long as FSU beats U of L in their championship game, and all other conferences are “chalk,” in their title games, the Top 11 ranked teams will join the best of the G5 for the 12 slots in the NYD6 bowks.

I believe Ole Miss and the 3 SEC teams ranked ahead of them all get NYD6 bowl berths.

Citrus has the next pick, and typically chooses. The highest ranked SEC team that did not make the NYD6 bowls.

After the Citrus, the “Group of Six” bowls are filled in consultation with league office, the schools and the bowl committees.

Usually, the best remaining team gets the Tampa/Reliaquest Bowl, meaning Tennessee would play in Tampa on January 1st at noon.

This leaves the remaining 5 bowls from the G6 bowls with only three bowl eligible

These bowls are the Gator, the Charlotte Mayo, the Music City, the Texas and the Liberty.

I would assume that the two bowls who get “left out” from among these 5 will be the two lowest paying bowls.

From recollection, alone, I think the Liberty and Mayo Bowls are the lowest paying. That would leave the Gator, the Music City and the Texas Bowl for the three remaining SEC teams.

My best guess is we get the Gator, aTm gets the Texas, and Auburn the Music City bowl.

Thanks for doing the work to clear things up.
Bowl Payouts:

[QUOTE="The-Hack, post: 12345508,...me, only additional expenses covered.[/QUOTE]

Very nice write up. Seems all the media predictors are saying mayo bowl. I enjoyed Charlotte a few years ago but unfortunately today is a much different world with opt outs etc. After last year, sadly I'm on the fence which is something I never thought I'd say.
Sounds like Leary is going to play though, which is our biggest need. We can fill the void to a degree at other positions, but if Leary was out, our backup QB slot is not good.

My uneducated guess is the Mayo Bowl against Duke.
Seems like the media thing is too good for the conference to jgnore....UK vs Duke only in football and Elko apparently getting the nod for the aTm slot over Stoops.

Made for TV stuff.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Sounds like Leary is going to play though, which is our biggest need. We can fill the void to a degree at other positions, but if Leary was out, our backup QB slot is not good.
Question is whether Stoops feels the need to play a backup to try to prevent them from entering the portal.

So has to happen in order for UK to go to gator bowl?
Ole Miss gets a NYD bowl invite. There are a few ways that could happen. IMO the most likely is for FSU to beat UL but in a very close game. If so, FSU would drop out of the CFP but still be the conference champ and thus get the Orange bowl invite. UL would not get a NYD invite and thus Ole Miss, at 11 in the poll, would get a NYD bowl.

The Bubble Guts Port a John.....Ty - D - Bowl

Seems like UT thinks they are doing gator.
If Ole Miss isn’t NYD6, then you can back them into Citrus, LSU the Reliaquest, UT the TS Gator, UK to Charlotte, A & M the Texas Bowl, Auburn the MCB.

Liberty is the only Group of 6 that gets left without an SEC team, if the SEC drops the lower paying bowl - - - which only makes sense!

Reactions: entropy13
Seen this while looking up something else

Kentucky Bowl Projections

Last edited:

Bowl Payouts:

Damn Hack what do we owe your for this? Is there a tip jar?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT