ADVERTISEMENT

What do you consider a successful run in the tournament?

jbne222

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 14, 2019
Curious what you guys think. We got a great draw but our team has obviously been incredibly hard to predict this year. I see it like this:

Lose in first round: All hell breaks loose, no hope for the future with unbelievable pressure on next year's team
Lose in 2nd round: more mild but still hell breaks loose
Lose in Sweet 16: Meh, decent turnaround, but not enough to get excited
Lose in Elite 8: Devastating loss but would feel encouraged in the long term relative to where I am now
Final Four and beyond: Would be absolutely over the moon

Making it to the 2nd weekend is huge because at least then you get a whole extra week to hope and get excited, and actually enjoy the tournament

I want us to make a deep run just as much as anybody, but I’m a praying man and if hell really will break loose with a 1st or 2nd round lose I’m going to hit my knees now because there is a very big chance that happens!

Reactions: chroix and G-PIP
I want us to make a deep run just as much as anybody, but I’m a praying man and if Hell really will break loose with a 1st or 2nd round lose I’m going to hit my knees now because there is a very big change that happens!
It might not be reasonable but you know what's happening on this board if that happens lol

We have a horrible draw. If you weren't excited about making the tournament, I'm afraid you aren't going to have much to be excited about after Friday night. We are about to get shredded by Providence.
How does Kentucky have a horrible draw, they got about as good a draw as they could ask for. But I see you have 9 posts, so probably a troll

We have a horrible draw. If you weren't excited about making the tournament, I'm afraid you aren't going to have much to be excited about after Friday night. We are about to get shredded by Providence.
We'll see. On paper their offense has the makeup of teams we struggle with, given their offensive efficiency numbers. But their guards aren't incredibly quick and they don't shoot a ton of 3s. Plus we should be able to dominate them on the glass and that's an area where they have had a lot of success this year

I haven't lowered my expectations from the start of the season, final four or bust, same damn team that was predicted to be a title contender, probably won't happen but that's the goal
Yeah I just don't think using preseason expectations is the end-all be-all measuring stick for success for a given team. There were a lot of things we expected based on beating up terrible teams in the Bahamas that we probably shouldn't have (Collins being a stud for example)

Reactions: G-PIP
I wouldn't call it a "great draw". It's ok, not great, not bad.
Providence is about what expect from an 11. There is the added "revenge factor" from Hopkins.
K State is a decent 3, with a player everyone will root for.
Marquette is a tough 2.
On the other side Purdue/Duke/UT is a bit light, but that 1 game is also 3 Wins away.

I'm saying the same thing I was 9 months ago:
- Sweet 16 exit (or less) will be a big failure
- Final 4 (+) will be a success
- Elite 8, mmm...I'm still not sure

Yeah I just don't think using preseason expectations is the end-all be-all measuring stick for success for a given team. There were a lot of things we expected based on beating up terrible teams in the Bahamas that we probably shouldn't have (Collins being a stud for example)
That's the problem,we are starting to accept mediocrity, a sweet 16 is not acceptable for Kentucky basketball but sadly that's probably the ceiling for this bunch

• Love
Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
I wouldn't call it a "great draw". It's ok, not great, not bad.
Providence is about what expect from an 11. There is the added "revenge factor" from Hopkins.
K State is a decent 3, with a player everyone will root for.
Marquette is a tough 2.
On the other side Purdue/Duke/UT is a bit light, but that 1 game is also 3 Wins away.

I'm saying the same thing I was 9 months ago:
- Sweet 16 exit (or less) will be a big failure
- Final 4 (+) will be a success
- Elite 8, mmm...I'm still not sure
It could be a lot worse, I much rather have Kentuckys draw, than what Texas A&M

That's the problem,we are starting to accept mediocrity, a sweet 16 is not acceptable for Kentucky basketball but sadly that's probably the ceiling for this bunch
No one is accepting it. You just have to be realistic as well and there would definitely be a silver lining to taking a team that was 10-6 and and making an Elite 8 run. Of course we're not going to be thrilled without a final four run. But I'm not gonna come in here with pitchforks if we have a strong showing that happens to end a little before the final four.

I think a realistic goal as a top-tier program should be:
Championship every 8-10 years
Final four every 4 years
2nd weekend at least every 2 years

No one is accepting it. You just have to be realistic as well and there would definitely be a silver lining to taking a team that was 10-6 and and making an Elite 8 run. Of course we're not going to be thrilled without a final four run. But I'm not gonna come in here with pitchforks if we have a strong showing that happens to end a little before the final four.

I think a realistic goal as a top-tier program should be:
Championship every 8-10 years
Final four every 4 years
2nd weekend at least every 2 years
I get it but the last 3 or 4 years have been unacceptable for a top tier program.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
I get it but the last 3 or 4 years have been unacceptable for a top tier program.
I agree. And that does put a lot more pressure on us now because it's been so long since we've seen any tournament success. I think next year was always going to be the put-up or shut-up year for us and Cal, and I think I'd be able to go into next season with optimism with a strong showing this year even if it's not a final four. That's more what I mean

Reactions: dcw62
There is no such thing as a good draw. If you are not a top 2 seed it means you had flaws during the season. It's why we get upsets in the first week. By no means we can walk and win these games. It will take our A game to just win a few

I'm a troll because we don't share the same opinion? Good Lord!

Barring some big upsets, we pretty much have likely matchups in each round of type of teams we struggle with.

Providence spaces the floor well and stretches a opposing D for 1 on 1 stuff. Their main rotation also shoots well from the perimeter at all 5 spots.

KSU doesn't shoot as well, but they have some scorers. Johnson seems to will them and we have no one who can guard him.

Marquette another pretty tough matchup. And that's just the first 3 rounds.

I hope so. I am seeing a game where we won't be able to stay in front of them on D. They will attack the shit out of Oscar on screens. All their main guys can take and make 3's. I actually think we would have an easier 2nd rd matchup with KSU.
Well you fit the mold of a troll 10 posts, but if your not than no it perfectly fine to have differing opinions, providence Is a tough game but Kentucky can win it

I'm a troll because we don't share the same opinion? Good Lord!

Barring some big upsets, we pretty much have likely matchups in each round of type of teams we struggle with.

Providence spaces the floor well and stretches a opposing D for 1 on 1 stuff. Their main rotation also shoots well from the perimeter at all 5 spots.

KSU doesn't shoot as well, but they have some scorers. Johnson seems to will them and we have no one who can guard him.

Marquette another pretty tough matchup. And that's just the first 3 rounds.

I hope so. I am seeing a game where we won't be able to stay in front of them on D. They will attack the shit out of Oscar on screens. All their main guys can take and make 3's. I actually think we would have an easier 2nd rd matchup with KSU.
I do agree about the 2nd round matchup being much better

How does Kentucky have a horrible draw, they got about as good a draw as they could ask for. But I see you have 9 posts, so probably a troll
Were you a troll when you had 9 posts? That is always the stupidest, lazy comment people make here. We all had 9 posts at some point.

Were you a troll when you had 9 posts? That is always the stupidest, lazy comment people make here. We all had 9 posts at some point.
There’s always context to everything, not everybody’s starts are the same, coming on here first thing acting like Kentucky has the worst draw

For this team? Sweet 16 would be a surprise and something that maybe the players can feel good about. But for the fans, short of a Final Four, not much would make anything successful

I am not lowering my standards because we have a inept coach.
UK should always be in contention for a Final Four appearance. So, that means anything short of making it to the Elite Eight is under-achieving. Sorry if that hurts the feelings of some in the Calipari Cult but, the best should set lofty goals and expect success. Anything short of that is failure.

Reactions: crestcat
It depends a lot of things. How good is our team? How good is our coaching staff? What’s our record before the tournament?

For a year like 09-10 bowing out to WVU was a a disappointment. 14-15 was a disappointment despite going 38-1. However, 13-14 was a tremendous success story. 11-12 was a success as well (obviously).

This season, for example, I’d consider it a success just to make it past the first weekend. I would not celebrate but that would exceed my expectations.

As a general rule for UK basketball? Take a look at what we hang banners for.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix
I was expecting a final 4 for this team but I think a Sweet 16 is about their ceiling at most. Will not be surprised at a first round loss.

Reactions: chroix
This might be the hardest UK team ever to predict in tourney. I've filled out multiple barckets....I have them going on a tear and winning it all.......aaaannd I have Providence handing them their ass . Equal chance of either scenario happening .

I am not lowering my standards because we have a inept coach.
UK should always be in contention for a Final Four appearance. So, that means anything short of making it to the Elite Eight is under-achieving. Sorry if that hurts the feelings of some in the Calipari Cult but, the best should set lofty goals and expect success. Anything short of that is failure.

UK has not been in the final four contention plenty the last few decades. 2022, 2021, 2018, 2016, 2013, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2001, 2000, 94, 89, 88, 87, 86, 85, 82, 81, 80.

The past 3 seasons have been unacceptable but let's get real with the revisionist history crap.

Reactions: phantompain
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT