ADVERTISEMENT

What concerns you the most?

Kattopper

Sophomore
Oct 7, 2004
1. Current starting lineup- digging a hole we can’t get out of. We know he isn’t going to change it now. Despite the evidence and proof in play will we have to overcome this in an early round game?

2. Rotations- more random/bad lineups. without reason, Cal just throwing stuff out there. I’m sure there are several threads on this over the last 5 years but this is an issue, has been for a long time. This time of year we should be set and that guys know what to expect. Probably my biggest gripe about Cal.

3. Post player presence- we have one really good (not elite yet) defender in Ugo. Z still lost at times but can gives us offensive sparks. Mitchell- not sure he regains early season form at this point. Bradshaw is a non factor. Do you play Edwards at the 4?

4. Defensively- our woes are well documented. We are who we are I guess but will it be our undoing against a lesser opponent again.

5. Cold shooting night- not sure we have had many, we still put up 80+ in our sleep on an off night. Is that enough to carry us through a clunker in the tourney?

Like many of you I want to be excited and have confidence but I just can’t buy in with this group/Cal. Going down to Nashville and watching that game sucked the air out of me.

Reactions: RunninRichie
That our defense is so bad it would allow this guy to score 40 on us.

Shooting Shoot Your Shot GIF

Last edited:
Mitchell at the 4. How many min does he ride this?
We are clearly at our best when Adou or Edwards are at the 4. He has tried to get Mitchell going again and it isn’t working.
Does he force this in the tourney or limit his min severely?
This decision by cal will weigh big.

1. Cal starting DJ and Edwards. Over promises to his dad and Klutch,
2. On-ball defense. Rob is an awful defender. Wagner not much better. Reed at least plays passing lanes.
3. Rebounding. Ugo has the worst hands at UK since freshman Nick Richards.
4. Tre Mitchell. Dude acts like he's high when he's on the floor. Doesn't seem like he really cares. He checked out months ago IMO.

Reactions: rolaid and ck-2
Cow.

The fact that Reed was on fire in the first half and it was like he or Cow told him to chill out in the second half. He really never looked for his shot again. Wide open to the basket for a easy layup, nope, pass out to Rob.

It's the slow starts, and it's not 100% on the starting line up. When we've had Reed start they've still gotten off slowly. I think we should start RRR w/ Thiero and Z though. But whatever line up is out there, we gotta fix the slow starts they've burned us in almost every game we've lost.

Reactions: WeWant9
Cow.

The fact that Reed was on fire in the first half and it was like he or Cow told him to chill out in the second half. He really never looked for his shot again. Wide open to the basket for a easy layup, nope, pass out to Rob.
This is not the University of Reed Sheppard.

Cal not playing Reed,Dilly, and Reeves to start and keeping them in together as long as they don’t need a break or are in foul trouble .

1. Cal starting DJ and Edwards. Over promises to his dad and Klutch,
2. On-ball defense. Rob is an awful defender. Wagner not much better. Reed at least plays passing lanes.
3. Rebounding. Ugo has the worst hands at UK since freshman Nick Richards.
4. Tre Mitchell. Dude acts like he's high when he's on the floor. Doesn't seem like he really cares. He checked out months ago IMO.
3. Is a good point about our bigs. Not great at rebounding either.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Rebounding and giving up 2nd chance opportunities. The defense is what it is, but they have shown it can be up to task (Auburn, Bama, and Tenn). This team tends to give up too many offensive rebounds that result in buckets for the other team. We need all the possessions possible to put points up, and we have to somehow find a way to get those rebounds.

Reactions: Jazzycat
In order:

1. Preparations and game plan (lack thereof) by our staff is my biggest concern.
2. No in-game adjustments that actually help
3. Our season long track record of VERY poor defense
4. Poor rebounding
5. Another team hitting a higher % than they typically do because of #3
6. Us going cold from 3

The top 4 are coaching issues that our esteemed coach has had all season to fix, but neglected to do so.

Reactions: Jazzycat
4- Defense for me there isn't a close second. They have shown they can be better (see 1st half against Tenn) but they refuse to focus and give maximum effort for more than a few minutes at a time.

It's the slow starts, and it's not 100% on the starting line up. When we've had Reed start they've still gotten off slowly. I think we should start RRR w/ Thiero and Z though. But whatever line up is out there, we gotta fix the slow starts they've burned us in almost every game we've lost.
Careful.
You're being too sensible and objective.

• Haha
Reactions: Lempface
The lineup for each half. We can't just give away 10-16 points every game because our coach wants to start a certain group. Yet we'll do it anyway and it will eventually cost us again

I am surprised no one has mentioned the primary reason for all (but UNCW) of our losses.
An opponent that just plays much more physical than us, that manhandles our guys on the inside, on drives, on screens outside.

Oakland and a defense that can't stop a drive to the basket or guard a three attempt.

My two biggest concerns are:

1. The defense effort and lack of care here. If we could just focus a bit on this end of the ball, like boxing out, strong rebounds, not biting on pump fakes, not fouling 3pt shooters.. we would be very muh improved.

2. DJ trying to take the game over and/or not being ready for this moment. His PG play is still extremely shaky. I'd prefer he come off the bench, but Cal just won't do that to the Wagner family.

1. Cal
2. He subs with no thought of who will score for us
3. We are a soft team Houston will take our lunch money
4. He never tries to stop the other teams star players

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT