ADVERTISEMENT

What county are you from?

Knox County, Tennessee (birth to 13 months)
Fayette County, Kentucky (most of my life, current)
Oldham Co, KY
Woodford Co, KY

Dutchess County - New York

That’s by FAR the fanciest-pants county name for believe I’ve ever heard -

IF I overheard you say that in public...I’d really want to shadow you for a bit through the beer and gummy bear aisles ...and just observe your mannerisms for - I dunno ....svelte foreignness

you’d probably catch me though and that’d be fkin awkward

Whenever I see that name, I automatically associate it with Buford Pusser. I am assuming you are in the McNairy County located in Tennessee? Heck, that might be the only McNairy County in the country.

BTW, I am in Owsley County. That means there are only 4.441 other people besides me living here! The entire population of my county wouldn't qualify as a small town in most places, but I like it here, largely because it has such a small population.

Phillip Svotba and the Commander forever legends of Owsley county

Curious, how did the former parkways in western KY wind up becoming interstates: I-165/I-169/I-69? I just started noticing those designations in the last couple of years. Are the roads upgraded? Thanks.
Yeah, this was set up at least 5-6 years ago. The Pennyrile Parkway from Henderson to the junction with the Western KY parkway was designated as the future I-69 corridor quite a few years ago, along with the remainder of the WKY parkway west of the Pennyrile to its terminus at I-24, and the Purchase Parkway from I-24 to the KY/TN state line. I-69 in KY is basically done except to build the approach to a future bridge and the bridge itself across the Ohio River.

The Pennyrile Parkway south of the WKY junction to Hoptown has gotten to be in pretty bad shape, but I believe it's in the process of being upgraded to connect with I-24 south of Hoptown.

I believe the I-165 designation you're referring to is the old Green River Parkway between Owensboro and Bowling Green. I think there's a long term project to upgrade the route of US 231 into Indiana to a future interstate.

Reactions: vhcat70
Paintsville Country Club has become my new home since I play with my daughter everyday. Haha

The best Mexican restaurant in Kentucky is like being the best gas station sushi in Arizona.
You've actually eaten in every Mexican restaurant in the state? You're saying that the good people from Mexico can't come to Kentucky and establish a great eatery? Most Mexican restaurants in Louisville are owned and operated by Mexicans. Some more authentic than others but to make that statement is foolish.

Reactions: TIE543
You've actually eaten in every Mexican restaurant in the state? You're saying that the good people from Mexico can't come to Kentucky and establish a great eatery? Most Mexican restaurants in Louisville are owned and operated by Mexicans. Some more authentic than others but to make that statement is foolish.
I spent half my life out West and even the "Mexican" owned restaurants in KY put that nasty white cheese all over everything and put hamburger in Chile Rellenos. Any hole in the wall fast food burrito San Diego is 100x better than anything in this State as far as Mexican food goes. Look, every state has its advantages and disadvantages... Mexican food isn't Kentucky's.

My wife is Mexican.

Reactions: bluejohnson
I spent half my life out West and even the "Mexican" owned restaurants in KY put that nasty white cheese all over everything and put hamburger in Chile Rellenos. Any hole in the wall fast food burrito San Diego is 100x better than anything in this State as far as Mexican food goes. Look, every state has its advantages and disadvantages... Mexican food isn't Kentucky's.

My wife is Mexican.
You obviously haven't given the better Mexican restaurants in this state a try. Have you ever dined in one in Louisville? Many are authentic and damn good.

Reactions: TIE543
You obviously haven't given the better Mexican restaurants in this state a try. Have you ever dined in one in Louisville? Many are authentic and damn good.
Tourist traps for those with the palate of stunted ground squirrels. I've eaten at the best in Louisville and Lexington for dinner and breakfast specialties. We talk with the owners and they all say that's the way they have to serve the food here in Kentucky to appeal to the masses and also make a profit. Restaurants here are a tough business.

Ever been to a nickel and dime Roberto's in San Diego for a burrito? How about a Rubio's Fish Tacos that originated in San Felipe Mexico? How about a hot dog from a street vendor in Tijuana? Those are fast food restaurants in Southern Cal/Mexico and I guarantee you they're both better than any $$$$ Mexican joint in Kentucky.

Whenever we go try a new one and I see flour tortillas for their fish tacos or hamburger in anything I just want to leave. Don't even get me started on that godawful white cheese they pour all over everything.

The closest thing you can do in Kentucky is to go to one of those small Mexican stores that also serve food. It's usually a 50/50 shot but it's the best I've found in this state.

Tourist traps for those with the palate of stunted ground squirrels. I've eaten at the best in Louisville and Lexington for dinner and breakfast specialties. We talk with the owners and they all say that's the way they have to serve the food here in Kentucky to appeal to the masses and also make a profit. Restaurants here are a tough business.

Ever been to a nickel and dime Roberto's in San Diego for a burrito? How about a Rubio's Fish Tacos that originated in San Felipe Mexico? How about a hot dog from a street vendor in Tijuana? Those are fast food restaurants in Southern Cal/Mexico and I guarantee you they're both better than any $$$$ Mexican joint in Kentucky.

Whenever we go try a new one and I see flour tortillas for their fish tacos or hamburger in anything I just want to leave. Don't even get me started on that godawful white cheese they pour all over everything.

The closest thing you can do in Kentucky is to go to one of those small Mexican stores that also serve food. It's usually a 50/50 shot but it's the best I've found in this state.
So much for civil conversation. Why the anger?

A real burrito has shredded beef as there should never be an ounce of hamburger in a Mexican restaurant. Chile Rellenos are stuffed with cheese not hamburger. Fish tacos (and all good tacos for that matter) are served on corn tortillas never flour tortillas. And the flavor of your food stands on its own you don't cover it all up with some watered down swill cheese mess.

Despite being 37th in area among US states, Kentucky ranks fourth in counties, with 120.

KYCountymap.png

I live in Pulaski and have for most of my life, but I've also lived in Madison and Fayette. I know a lot of people who despise central Kentucky, but I love it aside from the severe humidity in the summer. :)

I thought we were third behind Texas and Georgia, but I could be wrong. Me thinks we have too many counties, and I have been to all 120 counties (last county was Letcher county in Dec 2019 - the Ky-15 corridor - Breathitt, Perry, Knott and Letcher were my last four). I live in Fayette County, but have lived in Madison and Jessamine Counties. I'm not from here originally, though.

I like being in Lexington; it's a decent place and is not terribly expensive (home prices are skyrocketing, though). I like being close to things, but ideally, I would have some land just outside of Lexington. It's also a day's drive (10 hours or less) from Chicago, St. Louis, Indy, Detroit, DC, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Cleveland, Columbus, Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, Orlando (11 hours), Little Rock, Baltimore, KC, etc. You're not far from anywhere.

Reactions: J_Dee
My wife is the same way, but from Missouri. There are plenty of small towns there that have high schools with ~150 students.

The majority of our towns do not have schools named after them any more, just counties. People associate where you live with the high school sports team.

When I was in 7th grade(1980) it was required that you take Kentucky History. We had to memorize all 120 counties and place them on a map.

McCracken.

My brother took Kentucky history and I think he had to memorize counties, but I have no idea how many he was able to do. I tried one time, and missed only two (thanks Union and Webster!). Often, I get, "I am from Western/Eastern Kentucky" - I will ask for them to be more specific. Then, I will get "I am from (insert name) county" - I will ask what town. I may also get the city name if county seat or there is a high school there (like Whitesburg, or Burgin, etc).

A real burrito has shredded beef as there should never be an ounce of hamburger in a Mexican restaurant. Chile Rellenos are stuffed with cheese not hamburger. Fish tacos (and all good tacos for that matter) are served on corn tortillas never flour tortillas. And the flavor of your food stands on its own you don't cover it all up with some watered down swill cheese mess.
Your take on ground beef is spot on but there’s some 100% legit authentic Mexican taquerias on Preston in Louisville. I was stationed in Cali and have been to San Diego many times. Stationed at Ft. Bliss in El Paso Texas. Have eaten at hole in the walls in Mexico. Sons wife is Mexican. From Mexico. Her family is coming over to the house to have a “carne asada fiesta” today. Just saying you need to stop at one of the 20 Mexican joints in a 3 mile stretch on Preston.

@nom de plume is a distant relative of Duncan Hines. Everyone listen up.

My wife is Mexican.
Pics of your wife?

Nothing better than some arrogant douche wrecking a thread over food. Us poor simple Kentucky folk couldn't possibly have ever traveled anywhere or know what we like and don't like. Thank you massa for enlightening us.

What a pretentious chach.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Born and raised in Pike County. Lived in Madison County for 14 years with a 1 year pit stop in Boyd County. Lived in Rockcastle for 5 years. Been in Laurel for 7 now. As soon as the wife retires, Hamilton County....TN.

Bourbon Co. My band director put it best I’d say.
“I’ve got everything I need within 30 minutes of driving and I don’t have to deal with living in a traffic filled, anxiety inducing place all the time. The countryside here is beautiful and you don’t have to see all the concrete everywhere. Why would I live in Lexington with all the trouble when I can live in Paris peacefully and only go to Lexington when I have to.” I wholeheartedly agree with him and he’s not even from Paris.

I was tempted in Tijuana to get a street vendor delicacy, but was told it might be a cat.

Ate awesome Mexican food in the Barrio in Phoenix, though.

Originally from Oldham county. Moved to Campbell county to attend NKU and now live in Boone county!

Misread this and thought immediately, "...not the country I'm currently looking at right now..."

As a transplant, I need to visit more counties to see which ones feel more like home. My dad's family lived here in the early 20th century, and on my mom's side in the late 1800s, but I've not been able to locate the records of either since I've been here, as my dad didn't tell me he spent time on his uncle's farm in KY when he was a kid until 10 years ago. Couldn't remember the name of the place after so long and passed before we could get more info.

I was tempted in Tijuana to get a street vendor delicacy, but was told it might be a cat.

Ate awesome Mexican food in the Barrio in Phoenix, though.

So you don't do sketchy buffet restaurants then either? ;)

I remember when one in Lexington got shut down for repeatedly leaving their back door open during the day. Personally witnessed a cat going in that door once, too, but I was not the one that called the hd...

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT