ADVERTISEMENT

What county are you from?

Born and lived in Jefferson until 8, grew up in Bullitt after that, live in Nelson. Have also lived in Warren and Edmonson.

Agreed. Kentucky has over 100 counties that have less than 50,000 people and we've got around 20 that have less than 10,000. You can literally seat the entire populations of both Owsley and Robertson counties into my high school's gym with seats left to spare.

Unfortunately, there's just no effective or simple way to consolidate 'em.
You could try, but too many people would get their feelings hurt if a Fulton or Lewis or Butler or a Trimble County were consolidated.
Didn't somebody propose something like that in the late 70s / early 80s - and essentially end their political career?

If you look at the Commonwealth from a business perspective, theoretically you could save a ton of money through consolidation of counties. However, apart from the romantic / cultural / emotional attachment those of us from the rural counties have towards our native places (myself included), county government and the local school system is a key source of jobs for the local economy, and I believe the current system is simply too entrenched to even try to go down that road. I guarantee no self-respecting County Judge Executive and District Magistrate would want to have to have their positions eliminated.

Agreed. Kentucky has over 100 counties that have less than 50,000 people and we've got around 20 that have less than 10,000. You can literally seat the entire populations of both Owsley and Robertson counties into my high school's gym with seats left to spare.

Unfortunately, there's just no effective or simple way to consolidate 'em.
The 16 regions for sports would be perfect. Each gets named for the largest county.
img_3576.jpg

I'm born, raised, and still in Christian County. 2 miles from Trigg(2 mile marker is in my yard) so my county would stay the same.

The 16 regions for sports would be perfect. Each gets named for the largest county.
img_3576.jpg

I'm born, raised, and still in Christian County. 2 miles from Trigg(2 mile marker is in my yard) so my county would stay the same.

Maybe halve those but that's pretty good. I think we can keep the six and seventh region together.

Having lived here in Lexington my entire life, one thing I've learned is the only Kentuckians who don't respond to "So where you from" with "I'm from _____ County" are those of us from Lexington and Louisville.

Jesus Christ, I was literally about to say the exact same thing. I have never once told anyone I was from Fayette County (life resident as well)

I did live outside of New Circle Road for 12 years, but now live next to the Arboretum

Reactions: CB3UK
People say counties because the towns are so small that nobody has any idea what part of the state they are located in.
For example, I’m from New Columbus, KY originally. Anybody have any idea where that is or near? Or what county unless you google it?

When I was in 7th grade(1980) it was required that you take Kentucky History. We had to memorize all 120 counties and place them on a map.

McCracken.
yep. We're just about the same age. I remember that class well, all these years later.

Bullitt county in the thriving town of Lebanon Junction
All the time I was growing up, though we lived in Hardin County, I had a Lebanon Junction mailing address. Figure that one out if you can. Eventually, we had an Elizabethtown mailing address, which is much closer to the truth. Although, as a very young child, my dad did take me to Frank's Barber Shop for the occasional cut!

People say counties because the towns are so small that nobody has any idea what part of the state they are located in.
For example, I’m from New Columbus, KY originally. Anybody have any idea where that is or near? Or what county unless you google it?
Exactly. If my mom said she’s from holy cross would you know where that’s located? But you may know Marion county. Or my dads from New Hope which is Nelson...

Reactions: Pelosigalore
Exactly. If my mom said she’s from holy cross would you know where that’s located? But you may know Marion county. Or my dads from New Hope which is Nelson...

Understand that, if you (A) are talking to someone who is also from Kentucky; and (B) the Ky resident also has an idea where the counties are located, which I would guess is way less than 50% of us.

I for sure know the central KY counties and quite a few of them east and south of Lexington, because that is where my work has taken me over the years. (Although just this month I had to drive to Irvine, in Estill County, for business, and to my knowledge, is the first time I have ever been there)

But, for example, I have very little idea what counties are west and south of Louisville, just hardly ever go there. Now, if you tell me you are from near Bowling Green or Paducah or Owensboro, I got that. In short, I know the major cities but way less than half the counties, if that makes sense.

Reactions: H. Lecter
Raised in Morgan County. Lived in Marion County, Florida some. Dad from Ohio and mother from New York. Not sure I ended up here.

Having lived here in Lexington my entire life, one thing I've learned is the only Kentuckians who don't respond to "So where you from" with "I'm from _____ County" are those of us from Lexington and Louisville.
Not so. I was born in Jefferson County but grew up in Hopkinsville. When ever asked where I was from or grew up I never said Christian County.

Last edited:
Prince George's that sounds like Royalty. Are you royalty Gle(nnn)nn?
Actual name of a county in MD, suburban DC. I lived briefly in Howard Co, MD and 2.5 years in Baltimore County (not the city) before moving back relatively closer to home in Evansville in 2001 (Vanderburgh County, since we're keeping track). Finally, I lived in Calcasieu Parish (Lake Charles LA) from 1990-1998.

Actual name of a county in MD, suburban DC. I lived briefly in Howard Co, MD and 2.5 years in Baltimore County (not the city) before moving back relatively closer to home in Evansville in 2001 (Vanderburgh County, since we're keeping track). Finally, I lived in Calcasieu Parish (Lake Charles LA) from 1990-1998.
I lived in Laurel about 2 miles from the race track.

Reactions: ukalum1988

So is Glen(nnn)nn royalty or not?

Not so. I was born in Jefferson County but grew up in Hopkinsville. When ever asked where I was from or grew up I never said Christian County.
You are fake news sir, fake news I say! 😉 I do believe I've met one or two guys from Hoptown and thats what they said. Good call.

Reactions: Elbridge
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT