ADVERTISEMENT

What county are you from?

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
Despite being 37th in area among US states, Kentucky ranks fourth in counties, with 120.

KYCountymap.png

I live in Pulaski and have for most of my life, but I've also lived in Madison and Fayette. I know a lot of people who despise central Kentucky, but I love it aside from the severe humidity in the summer. :)

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
Originally from Harlan, grew up in Knox, currently live in Laurel, yet only give a damn about the Whitley county part of corbin.

Kenton. When I went to UK I thought it was weird that other students said what county they were from as I never really identified my home by its county.
My wife is from rural Illinois, and has commented that she thinks Kentucky is weird about this county thing. Everyone here talks/thinks in terms of counties when talking about places - she barely knew what county she grew up in, let alone any others.

My wife is from rural Illinois, and has commented that she thinks Kentucky is weird about this county thing. Everyone here talks/thinks in terms of counties when talking about places - she barely knew what county she grew up in, let alone any others.

My wife is the same way, but from Missouri. There are plenty of small towns there that have high schools with ~150 students.

The majority of our towns do not have schools named after them any more, just counties. People associate where you live with the high school sports team.

When I was in 7th grade(1980) it was required that you take Kentucky History. We had to memorize all 120 counties and place them on a map.

McCracken.

Despite being 37th in area among US states, Kentucky ranks fourth in counties, with 120.

KYCountymap.png

I live in Pulaski and have for most of my life, but I've also lived in Madison and Fayette. I know a lot of people who despise central Kentucky, but I love it aside from the severe humidity in the summer. :)
Miami-Dade

Yep, we have about 50 too many counties. Maybe 60 or 70.

Agreed. Kentucky has over 100 counties that have less than 50,000 people and we've got around 20 that have less than 10,000. You can literally seat the entire populations of both Owsley and Robertson counties into my high school's gym with seats left to spare.

Unfortunately, there's just no effective or simple way to consolidate 'em.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Agreed. Kentucky has over 100 counties that have less than 50,000 people and we've got around 20 that have less than 10,000. You can literally seat the entire populations of both Owsley and Robertson counties into my high school's gym with seats left to spare.

Unfortunately, there's just no effective or simple way to consolidate 'em.
You could try, but too many people would get their feelings hurt if a Fulton or Lewis or Butler or a Trimble County were consolidated.

Jefferson (pre-merger outside city), the Bullitt through middle and high school. Live in Louisville now.

Born in Bell. Raised in Knox. Lived in Fayette the past 31 years. Getting ready to move to Laurel in the next year or so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT