ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino only missed the elite 8 once at UK

etownblue25

Sophomore
Jul 30, 2008
Of the years UK was not banned from post season play,Pitino only missed the elite 8 in 1994. WOW

What's even more impressive is UK went to the elite 8 seven out of eight seasons. 92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99. That was a heck of a run. 2 Championships,, 4 Final Fours. Truly the greatest modern era of Kentucky Basketball.

Of the years UK was not banned from post season play,Pitino only missed the elite 8 in 1994. WOW

What's even more impressive is UK went to the elite 8 seven out of eight seasons. 92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99. That was a heck of a run. 2 Championships,, 4 Final Fours. Truly the greatest modern era of Kentucky Basketball.
He’s at Iona. Go cheer for him. Just watch where you eat. If you are lucky he might flip you off

Rick would not still be here. It's the nature of the beast of the fanbase. "you either die (leave) a hero, or leave long enough to see yourself become a villain (be run off)".

If Cal makes a Final Four but doesn't win it, the goal posts get moved to "he can't win another title". If he wins another title, it moves to "well he won't win another one".

Same way with any coach. Pitino went 7 years at Louisville without a Final Four. If that happened at Kentucky, the same detractors would be criticizing him.

Heck yes it was and for anyone to say Cal is 2nd behind Rupp they’re so full of $hit! Pitino’s 8 years here were phenomenal and was the most exciting years of basketball I ever witnessed.

Rick should have stayed at UK - he would have won 4-5 more rings and would be making $15 million by now
False. His recruiting was already dropping off. The 98 championship was a shocker, because that roster looked nothing like the last few Rick had. Hell, Pitino couldn’t even win with the 97 roster. It took the most loaded roster in tournament history for Rick to win just one. Before that, Pitino was known for not being able to win the big one.

Reactions: kats23
Pitino coached 8 years and won 219 games. Cal's last 8 years here he has won 213 games and got cheated out of a SEC tournament and NCAA tournament because of Covid.
Cal dominated Pitino's teams.
Pitino flipped KY fans off in Rupp.
Give me some more Pitino!!!
Awesome baby

Pitino cheats on his wife. He has a title banner taken down because he cheats. He quit on Kentucky. Pitino rocks. He left a Louisville program in the worst shape in their history. Oh I wish he could be coaching us now. A Real Winner!
Calipari’s had two final 4 banners taken down. The only reason he doesn’t have a title taken away is because he choked in 1996 and 2008. UMass was the number one team in the country going into the 1996 NCAA tournament. He had the number one team and the player of the year in Marcus Camby.

At Memphis Calipari had a 9 point lead against Kansas with 2 minutes left in the championship game. He choked and lost by 7. If he would have been good enough to win those titles, he would have had them vacated. At least Pitino was good enough to win the title during the season he had vacated. Calipari choked in his vacated tournaments.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Only missed the Elite 8 once, but only had 1 title to show for it. He was Tom Izzo before Tom Izzo.

Calipari’s had two final 4 banners taken down. The only reason he doesn’t have a title taken away is because he choked in 1996 and 2008. UMass was the number one team in the country going into the 1996 NCAA tournament. He had the number one team and the player of the year in Marcus Camby.

At Memphis Calipari had a 9 point lead against Kansas with 2 minutes left in the championship game. He choked and lost by 7. If he would have been good enough to win those titles, he would have had them vacated. At least Pitino was good enough to win the title during the season he had vacated. Calipari choked in his vacated tournaments.
You think he had superior talent to the 96 UK team? Really?

Reactions: etownblue25
Pitino imay be the devil incarnate,but he can coach, his players loved him, and at Kentucky the BBN felt superior to every program in America.
Teams didn’t want to play us in the 90’s because Pitino would run them out of the gym. Now teams don’t give a $hit if they play UK take St. Peter’s for example they never played scared that they were playing UK.
Triple C never has had a team at UK minus maybe 2012 and 2015 that teams were afraid when UK came to town. Every year Pitino was here teams feared UK because they new UK wasn’t going to let off of the gas and bury you because Pitino didn’t have buddies!

Teams didn’t want to play us in the 90’s because Pitino would run them out of the gym. Now teams don’t give a $hit if they play UK take St. Peter’s for example they never played scared that they were playing UK.
Triple C never has had a team at UK minus maybe 2012 and 2015 that teams were afraid when UK came to town. Every year Pitino was here teams feared UK because they new UK wasn’t going to let off of the gas and bury you because Pitino didn’t have buddies!
One thing I really like about Pitino. He'd get you down by 10...then 20....and keep you there.

Exactly there was no slowing the game down and either letting the other team in or losing the game!

And fans crushed him after losses like the one to UNC. People were sick of him by the time he left too. People called Rick an arrogant SOB that talked down to the fans and didn't respect KY HS basketball. They were tired of the fact that he always left the NBA door open. This fan base eats it's own, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

He’s at Iona. Go cheer for him. Just watch where you eat. If you are lucky he might flip you off
I made sure we got a table and not a booth when we went to Porcini. If you must have a booth take a bottle of Lysol with you.

Reactions: kybassfan
I hate him but I wonder how many championships we would have if he would've stayed all the way to the present. Not to be weird but I'd say at least 12
I used to hate him but he is human. I got over it fast after he left Louisville. His best years were here at UK and as a program and fanbase we need to embrace him again. Time heals all wounds.

Loved Pitino when he was here, I tried to support him when he went to UL. But my UL hatred was too much, couldn't pull for him. If Rick would've stayed, I think he would have 5 NC by now. I think Scott Drew could win a few also.

I used to wonder about how great it must have been to be a UK fan from 1948-1951. Three National Championships. Then an undefeated season in 1954 and a fourth championship in 1958. Well, Pitino brought that level of dominance back to UK. He narrowly missed setting us on course for a three-peat. I never expected to see that. The world of college basketball feared UK.

False. His recruiting was already dropping off. The 98 championship was a shocker, because that roster looked nothing like the last few Rick had. Hell, Pitino couldn’t even win with the 97 roster. It took the most loaded roster in tournament history for Rick to win just one. Before that, Pitino was known for not being able to win the big one.
You keep writing this and it's a point that's been soundly refuted.

Pitino led for Yarbrough, who at the time was a top 3 junior in the nation. He would have secured McGrady if Adidas didn't offer him $10 million and his coach a payout as well.

So Pitino led for McGrady in 1997, and Yarbrough in the class of 1998 - both top 3 guys in their respective classes.

Despite the busted-up McGrady recruitment, Pitino had commitments from four top 75 kids and three top 50 kids (if one counts Mouton, who had already committed but then backed out under Tubby). He also had a legitimate transfer in Evans coming in.

That wasn't the best recruiting class, but it was far from "slipping", especially when you compare that class to the Sheppard/Epps class of 1994 or his Magloire group. Neither of those classes were homerun classes, but they didn't have to be. Part of the reason Pitino wasn't landing a Elton Brand in every class was because he already had a long line of veteran players. What did you expect, Pitino to add Avery and Brand to a team that already included Sheppard, Magloire, Mohammed, Evans, Edwards, Turner, etc,?

That's silly thinking. Plus, if you mock Pitino for losing in '97 after Anderson went down, losing to an Arizona team with the likes of Bibby, Terry, Dickerson, and Simon, you clearly have an anti-Pitino agenda.

Your takes have traditionally been much better than this. You've been slipping since you made your return to the message board, sir.

Last edited:
Everybody with even half a brain knows the 98 roster looked nothing like the previous few. I’ve never even heard that disputed before. That’s why we weren’t considered serious championship contenders in 98, despite getting to the final game the previous two years. You mentioned one big time possible recruit — McGrady — and he didn’t even play college basketball. Do I have an anti-Pitino agenda? LOL … ya think? I absolutely despise the man. He’s trash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT