ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino only missed the elite 8 once at UK

Everybody with even half a brain knows the 98 roster looked nothing like the previous few. I’ve never even heard that disputed before. That’s why we weren’t considered serious championship contenders in 98, despite getting to the final game the previous two years. You mentioned one big time possible recruit — McGrady — and he didn’t even play college basketball. Do I have an anti-Pitino agenda? LOL … ya think? I absolutely despise the man. He’s trash.
Actually, Huggy Bear was on a 4 man panel before the Final Four games and he picked us to win it all. Yeah we didn't have DA, Antoine, or Mercer, but we took a Moneyball approach and re-created those guys in the aggregate. Heshimu, Shep, and Cameron were critical players. What does it say about that field that Utah did the same thing and destroyed Arizona, who was considered a cinch to repeat that year. Even AZ was shell-shocked in that Regional final game - down 30 with 2 minutes to go they started fouling.

Talking about the 98 team, those guys had heart. When is the last time you could say that about a Cal-coached team.

Everybody with even half a brain knows the 98 roster looked nothing like the previous few. I’ve never even heard that disputed before. That’s why we weren’t considered serious championship contenders in 98, despite getting to the final game the previous two years. You mentioned one big time possible recruit — McGrady — and he didn’t even play college basketball. Do I have an anti-Pitino agenda? LOL … ya think? I absolutely despise the man. He’s trash.
If you don't count Yarbrough today as a "Big time recruit", I guarantee you did back in 1997 and 1998 when he was considered one of the top 3 players in his class.

Pitino was going to land him.

As for the 1998 comparison to the 1997 and 1996 teams, of course that's true. Both 1996 and 1997 (before Anderson injury) were title level teams with some of the best talent we've ever seen in program history.

That doesn't discount 1998's actual talent, however. The 1998 team started in the top 8 and finished in the top 5. Hardly the "shocker" outcome you're trying to present it as.

Pitino coached 8 years and won 219 games. Cal's last 8 years here he has won 213 games and got cheated out of a SEC tournament and NCAA tournament because of Covid.
Cal dominated Pitino's teams.
Pitino flipped KY fans off in Rupp.
Give me some more Pitino!!!
Awesome baby
I like how you count Pitino's probation years at UK as if it's an apples to apples comparison with Cal's tenure at Kentucky.

Hilarious stuff.

Of the years UK was not banned from post season play,Pitino only missed the elite 8 in 1994. WOW

What's even more impressive is UK went to the elite 8 seven out of eight seasons. 92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99. That was a heck of a run. 2 Championships,, 4 Final Fours. Truly the greatest modern era of Kentucky Basketball.

Yeah 92 to 99 were great and 2009 to 2015 were great. Those 13 seasons have seen 3 titles and 8 final fours. If you look at the other 50 seasons since 1959 we have 1 title and 4 final fours.

One of the reasons a program like Duke or unc can start to creep up on uk the past 35 years or so is because our coaches suck at winning multiple national titles since Rupp. Pitino should have won at least 2 and maybe 3 and calipari should have 2 or 3 total. Tubby should have won in 2003. All failed. If unc somehow wins this year they are 1 back.

Rick would not still be here. It's the nature of the beast of the fanbase. "you either die (leave) a hero, or leave long enough to see yourself become a villain (be run off)".

If Cal makes a Final Four but doesn't win it, the goal posts get moved to "he can't win another title". If he wins another title, it moves to "well he won't win another one".

Same way with any coach. Pitino went 7 years at Louisville without a Final Four. If that happened at Kentucky, the same detractors would be criticizing him.
Well, Louisville isn’t Kentucky and IMO, Pitino wouldn’t have went 7 years here without a FF. Even if he did, he almost surely would’ve had multiple titles, which makes it easier for the fanbase to accept a 7 year FF drought.

This point is moot anyway. Pitino wouldn’t have went 7 years without a FF. He could actually coach up his talent here as well as adjust and strategize with the best of them.

• Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
Zero chance Pitino can get that Frankenstein 1998 roster to the final four, much less a title.
He took the 97 team to the title game without the best defensive player and who would’ve been NPOY had he not been injured. If Arizona didn’t shoot a million FTs, would’ve won. I don’t think there’s any doubt he takes that team to the FF.

Yeah 92 to 99 were great and 2009 to 2015 were great. Those 13 seasons have seen 3 titles and 8 final fours. If you look at the other 50 seasons since 1959 we have 1 title and 4 final fours.

One of the reasons a program like Duke or unc can start to creep up on uk the past 35 years or so is because our coaches suck at winning multiple national titles since Rupp. Pitino should have won at least 2 and maybe 3 and calipari should have 2 or 3 total. Tubby should have won in 2003. All failed. If unc somehow wins this year they are 1 back.
The only one he should’ve won that he didn’t was 1993. We weren’t the best team in 1995. We also weren’t the best team in 1997, after DA was injured. Before, yes, we were. But, we would’ve won that title had we had him.

• Love
Zero chance Pitino can get that Frankenstein 1998 roster to the final four, much less a title.
How do you figure this? It’s the same team that went to the 1997 finals except Epps, Prickett, and Mercer (Anderson was hurt obviously). He obviously knew Shepp was going to be relied upon as he’s the one who redshirt him for the 1997 season.

How do you figure this? It’s the same team that went to the 1997 finals except Epps, Prickett, and Mercer (Anderson was hurt obviously). He obviously knew Shepp was going to be relied upon as he’s the one who redshirt him for the 1997 season.
We also added Heshimu to that roster. Dude was clutch as hell for us that year.

I like how you count Pitino's probation years at UK as if it's an apples to apples comparison with Cal's tenure at Kentucky.

Hilarious stuff.
Not as hilarious as yall defending Pitino, waiting on his show cause ruling, then he will be done. He is a cheater that quit.

Not as hilarious as yall defending Pitino, waiting on his show cause ruling, then he will be done. He is a cheater that quit.
I'm guessing you're a 50+ year old man, right?

And Pitino left here in 1997?

Think about that, and then analyze why you're still mad at a man who took us from probation to #1 in the nation in a mere two years.

Even though you won't admit it, Rick Pitino was a awesome coach for the University of Kentucky and had anything that you want to dispute or argue to back it up bass....
But he’s not the coach. He’s gone. He is a sexual deviant. He is a cheating scumbag. He flipped off the KY crowd. Basically the man is a pos.

You keep writing this and it's a point that's been soundly refuted.

Pitino led for Yarbrough, who at the time was a top 3 junior in the nation. He would have secured McGrady if Adidas didn't offer him $10 million and his coach a payout as well.

So Pitino led for McGrady in 1997, and Yarbrough in the class of 1998 - both top 3 guys in their respective classes.

Despite the busted-up McGrady recruitment, Pitino had commitments from four top 75 kids and three top 50 kids (if one counts Mouton, who had already committed but then backed out under Tubby). He also had a legitimate transfer in Evans coming in.

That wasn't the best recruiting class, but it was far from "slipping", especially when you compare that class to the Sheppard/Epps class of 1994 or his Magloire group. Neither of those classes were homerun classes, but they didn't have to be. Part of the reason Pitino wasn't landing a Elton Brand in every class was because he already had a long line of veteran players. What did you expect, Pitino to add Avery and Brand to a team that already included Sheppard, Magloire, Mohammed, Evans, Edwards, Turner, etc,?

That's silly thinking. Plus, if you mock Pitino for losing in '97 after Anderson went down, losing to an Arizona team with the likes of Bibby, Terry, Dickerson, and Simon, you clearly have an anti-Pitino agenda.

Your takes have traditionally been much better than this. You've been slipping since you made your return to the message board, sir.
And AZ shot a bazillion FTs. If UK had made just one more in regulation there's another title.

But he’s not the coach. He’s gone. He is a sexual deviant. He is a cheating scumbag. He flipped off the KY crowd. Basically the man is a pos.
First time I agree with you I think. You are right. He became a POS. It was fun when he was here. Kinda like it was 4-5 years ago. I don’t doubt your fandom… just think it is misplaced most of the time. Stop and think where our program is right now… please. Cal flips us off tons more, you just need to see it for what it is.

First time I agree with you I think. You are right. He became a POS. It was fun when he was here. Kinda like it was 4-5 years ago. I don’t doubt your fandom… just think it is misplaced most of the time. Stop and think where our program is right now… please. Cal flips us off tons more, you just need to see it for what it is.
Stop and think who is charged with the care and well being of the program. The University Of Kentucky. They run the program. They choose the coach. They have who they want This is their program to manage, not some hysterical unaccountable rabid mob of zealots and posers. They have exactly who they want. When they change, I change. I don’t give a damn he doesn’t use the latest PlayStation offense or how he markets his program. Kentucky runs this show. End of story. You either support the program or your don’t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT