ADVERTISEMENT

What are your honest thoughts on KSR and Matt Jones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the show somewhat. He seems alright. I would never vote for him.

He bleeds blue. He has decent talent. Combine those with entrepreneurial brilliance and an insatiable market, and it's no wonder he's done so well with KSR. Oscar Combs developed the perfect idea at the perfect time: the original Cats Pause periodical. Matt Jones is the Oscar Combs of the digital era. Like him or not, he's living the dream, and raking it in. What's not to like?

He is actually pretty useless as a sports reporter and as a human being. He would rather force his political agenda on the listeners than actually provide informational and entertaining sports information. In addition he as become nothing more than a mouthpiece for the university and has no guts when ti comes to reporting the facts. I no longer listen to his broadcasts nor do I read any of the drivel he or his slaves post.

I don't listen to radio shows so I've never listened to him. I only follow him on Twitter to get a random UK update between most of his useless comments.

I love his show. He is open with his views, and stands beside them. His show is very entertaining and I am thankful for him and his comrades.. Also, I enjoy hearing the regulars call.. especially John Short. Also, he gets HUGE guests. I hear that the donald is going to be on his show.. that is huge.

Smarmy, and loud mouthed, but if you think he shoves his political views on people, you must not know anybody else with opposing views to yours. He is super mellow on political discourse compared to the average "copy paste political rants on Facebook" type that are taking over the internet.

Here's far from perfect, but he consulates UK info to one place and damn does he raise the blood pressure of the cards. He's an Olympic gold medalist at that.

I don't listen to radio shows so I've never listened to him. I only follow him on Twitter to get a random UK update between most of his useless comments.

You've never listened to him but say he makes useless comments?

Well ok then.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Smarmy, and loud mouthed, but if you think he shoves his political views on people, you must not know anybody else with opposing views to yours. He is super mellow on political discourse compared to the average "copy paste political rants on Facebook" type that are taking over the internet.

Here's far from perfect, but he consulates UK info to one place and damn does he raise the blood pressure of the cards. He's an Olympic gold medalist at that.

This. I don't have his political views, but I've never heard him come close to pushing his too far. Granted I don't listen to his show but once or twice a month, but I've heard him bring up politics before, and he has never crossed the line, IMHO.

You've never listened to him but say he makes useless comments?

Well ok then.

I just said I follow him on Twitter. Most of what he puts on there is useless comments to me. I only care about the occasional UK tidbits he posts. For example, there are only about 5 UK related tweets in his past 20+ tweets and 3 are about the same topic (Wildcat Lodge). I don't really care about his political stance or arguing with people. I just want UK info and he gets some of that before others and tweets out what others are saying as well. If not for that I wouldn't follow him at all. So yes he has plenty of useless comments from my perspective. I am not commenting on his radio show, which could be more of the same or not.

He doesn't really have a great radio voice and his show often skews silly. However, as other posters have noted, he's true blue and the show gives a voice to UK fans. I anticipate he will eventually be gobbled up by ESPN for a bundle.

I go so far back I remember him being one of us as Magloire52....hell I listened to his first podcasts. I give him tremendous credit for building his brand...and yes he can be a major jerk sometimes especially to Ryan (who I can't listen to) he has to be. He moves the boring callers on quickly and he does get great guests. I very seldom go to his website directly... He is good @ sending you there through Twitter.

Put it this way he probably has very few listeners that like his liberal views but his knock down of UofL overrides that. I listen everyday and when he is not there its frickin painful with Ryan hosting. So I'm pro Magloire52.

I find the show mostly entertaining with some caveats. His treatment of co-hosts is sometimes cringeworthy, actually has me feeling a bit sorry for them sometimes when he goes on a rant. As far as the political stuff, yeah he's a liberal and that's fine, but he takes it a bit far when he says things like... you better vote dem next time if you want Rupp renovated. Didn't we try that last time? Also said UL was going to get a break because the new auditor is an R, and won't audit the UL foundation, which turned out to false. I think the November results really made the political stuff worse. Also, he seems to have more run-ins with your random person on the street than anyone I've ever heard of . Never his fault though.

That stuff is about 20% of the show, the rest is pretty good though.

Overall, Kai enjoys most of the content on the KSR website and daily radio program. Jones' BS political views don't bother me at all and, as others have mentioned, he doesn't really cram them down our throats, so it's all fine. I do appreciate the insider information that is available on the main site.

The only thing that gets on my nerves about Matt Jones is that he presents as one who thinks too highly of himself. I believe that he needs to be humbled a little bit to bring him down a few notches. The world does not revolve around him.

Yes, he's a smart guy and a wonderful achiever, but I get the feeling that he probably treats people in a way that is condescending, which is NOT the way to win friends and make others want to work with you or be around you.

Ive heard him be a bit of a d1ck but it is not often enough to warrent labeling him one over everthing else he does. I chalk it up to having a bad day. I have them too.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I don't have a problem with him. I'm not sure why so many fans don't like him. He's a fan boy gone sports reporter because he decided to start a Web site and radio show, and it took off. He's not a polished sports journalist by any stretch. He's a UK homer and makes no apologies for it. I go to their Web site for UK articles almost every day. Behind this site, my second most visited site for UK is his.

Love the show. When I lived in Michigan I used his show as a means to stay connected.
However, I don't think Ryan has tge right personality for tge show, he's too weak minded and kisses Matt's butt too much. Matt needs a guy with a stronger personality to compliment the show. Shannan (sp?) The Dude is great he just doesn't get much of a chance to talk.
Matt gets good guest speakers and interviews. It's a top notch show but I think some things being changed could make it an even better show.

I listen every day and to 90% of the pre and post games shows. I think what they do is great. The radio show is entertaining, they have good guests, and usually cover both sides of an argument. I think they are well connected and provide great info. Football coverage is getting much better with the addition of Maggard. I get the people that say Jones personality is abrasive or they don't like it and people are allowed their own opinion, but I really enjoy it. I think you have to be a little controlling to keep the show moving and not let idiots be idiots when they call in.

I know their dips into politics irks people, but It's generally topics and candidates that will affect us in Kentucky, and even though I may not agree with his personal politics, I think they do a good job with that as well. It's Matt's show and not owned by UK so, he does what he likes to do and that's what we all would like our jobs to be.

I've never noticed his political leanings but then again I could care less about politics in the first place. I enjoy his show, listen every work day. My only nitpick is that he constantly interrupts even the most sincere callers and never lets a person finish a sentence. He was a lawyer though so I guess that's in his DNA. Love his UL putdowns and man does he hate Pitino.

I turn down the goobers like John Short and a few others that call in and babble.

Reactions: kyjeff1
The show is entertaining for me or I wouldn't listen. It's a humor show, not to be taken serious. Some of the callers are bizarre and give you good "shake your head" moments. Matt and Ryan's actual knowledge of sports leaves something to be desired esp when it comes to football. Matt's never wrong in his eyes but I have rarely met a good sports radio host that is. Ryan just agrees with everything Matt says.

The site could have made a disastrous turn for the worse in the last year or so. It isn't the Jollity Farm it wants to be but it's better than it was, and I'm glad the number of semi-cheesecake photos of pretty coeds has dropped.

I've never noticed his political leanings but then again I could care less about politics in the first place. I enjoy his show, listen every work day. My only nitpick is that he constantly interrupts even the most sincere callers and never lets a person finish a sentence. He was a lawyer though so I guess that's in his DNA. Love his UL putdowns and man does he hate Pitino.

I turn down the goobers like John Short and a few others that call in and babble.
I agree with everything you said. I could care less about politics. It brings out the worst in people that are too passionate about it (we even have 1 already on this thread).
Also, yeah, I wish MJ would let his callers talk sometimes. Even if it's a dumb UL fan let him finish than blast him. Matt is very good at blasting UL fans and making them look stupid but he cuts them off and hangs up on them more times than not.

Reactions: Macy's socks
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT