ADVERTISEMENT

What about last night's officials?

SmyrnaCatFan

Sophomore
Nov 9, 2012
We're so busy critiquing our players and coach and style of play that there has been no discussion about the officiating. The missed tripping call and the multiple traveling calls are worthy of some gripes in my thinking. I've been missing my ref ripping on rupp rafters (RRRR or 4R). Get to it people.

I think the EKU dude and and the ref must have both been tripping. Heard there was a double technical called but ESPN didn't tell us about either one. Anyone catch it?

We're so busy critiquing our players and coach and style of play that there has been no discussion about the officiating. The missed tripping call and the multiple traveling calls are worthy of some gripes in my thinking. I've been missing my ref ripping on rupp rafters (RRRR or 4R). Get to it people.
They had striped shirts,black pants and whistles that's all I got:)

Forgot about that, seems Briscoe and EKU player had offsetting T's but no explanation, no replay of the incident.

I think the EKU dude and and the ref must have both been tripping. Heard there was a double technical called but ESPN didn't tell us about either one. Anyone catch it?
that is because they weren't at the game and couldn't see little nuisances that happen

Not only has the enforcement of "freedom of movement" for the offensive player went completely out the window. But the refs last night were allowing us to be shoved repeatedly, chickenwinged, and reaching in and hacked like we were being defended by windmills. yes OP, It blatant to me.

Reactions: kat57 and jarms24
The officiating is getting bad as the season goes on. Nine games in and it is already bad. I feel so bad for the players.

I seldom bash the refs, but those three looked like the three blind mice. Tons of missed calls on both sides.

If you haven't figured out yet that refs call games to try to keep the score close to the spread, I don't know what to tell ya.

In theory, the freedom of movement emphasis should be great for UK. In reality, it's just another tool in the toolbox for the refs to control the game.

They will call it when they feel like calling it.

who were the officials last night? It'd be cool if someone kept track to see if who is officiating has a direct correlation to how we are playing.

who were the officials last night? It'd be cool if someone kept track to see if who is officiating has a direct correlation to how we are playing.
Antonio Petty was one of them, Jon Scott keeps track of Officials,UK games they work,and UK's W-L record during those games

Reactions: Bkocats
Thanks Bluest Member - really appreciate the links. I had the first one, but my laptop crashed some months back and so lost it.

Reactions: Bluest Member
With five minutes to play in the first half I had counted over 11walks that were not called. it is so pathetic that the games aren't worth watching Any more. College basketball has become a horrible product and has been for some time. It will not get better.

With five minutes to play in the first half I had counted over 11walks that were not called. it is so pathetic that the games aren't worth watching Any more. College basketball has become a horrible product and has been for some time. It will not get better.

The problem is that if they went by the book, there would be 80-100 fouls a game. So, they have to pick and choose which times they are gonna call something. They let guys inside bang at each other until they randomly decide it's enough and they finally call something. They let one team get away with far more bumping than the other, and then they eventually start blowing the whistle the other way to even up the fouls. It's probably a much harder job than any of us are willing to admit, and I would guess only a few of them have any real agendas, but in the heat of the moment, it's easy to sense that we are getting screwed.

Reactions: Jkwo
He was there, but he started falling on his own, and there was minimal contact, so I didn't have a problem with that one.

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same play,most likely,but I disagree.What I saw was Briscoe set well before (Hawkins I think) ran dead into him driving toward the basket,while it may or may not have been enough to knock Briscoe down (that's arguable),it was definately a charge and not nearly a flop like UCLA got away with or Chris Jones at UL,or Duke pulls

I'm probably harder on Officials than anybody on RR,but I never say that's why UK won or lost,only that it's hard to beat 5 against 8.
My brother was a referee that started out doing High School and AAU games around the time Rondo was in middle school around Jefferson County,he moved his way up doing games for Ky Wesleyan and eventually worked Div I Ohio Valley Conference games before his health forced him to quit several years back.
I've never asked him his opinion ,but I have heard him critique officiating many times,he's a big UK Fan just like the rest of my family.
I'm sure it's a tough job,but I'm also sure that officials have biases that help dictate the way games are called,and I don't doubt for one bit that some referees are involved with Vegas spreads,it's just human nature.You will have honest and dishonest people in every occupation and walk of life.
All I every asked was to call the game equally at both ends,there is no excuse not to.

At one point in the second half who ever he white ref was out at the top of the key was counting out a close guarding 5 second call, which is no longer a rule in college basketball [laughing]

It's still a rule if you're holding the ball. Not a rule if you're dribbling.

Until the NCAA hires refs and controls their whistle it's going to be like this.
We get some calls at home with certain crews, we get a terrible whistle at UCLA.
Some days you can grab a guy with the ball and there is no call.
Some days you can look at the guy and get a T.

Until they are trained together, measured and compensated solely on their performance and consistency then it is what it is.

Reactions: Bluest Member
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT