ADVERTISEMENT

Still stings missing on Osobor

Yeah, I mean he's a good player. But 2M good? Nah. The face Washington of all places shelled that out is ridiculous. They aren't going to do squat most of the year. That's one of the most expensive "look at us" kinda situations I've seen in awhile.

Again, these numbers are inflated. He didn't get 2 million. But yeah, Washington still paid em the most.

Dont look back or start with the what ifs. I am sure if Pope thought he was worth 2 mil he would have been here. I think the upside of Garrison is way greater. Looking for a huge jump for the big man and he might be starting by SEC play.
I'm convinced that some are only into recruiting and assembling rosters, and don't really get into watching the games.

His passing & rebounding would’ve been nice. But, he can’t score outside of 3 feet. Spacing could’ve been an issue & Pope’s offense relies heavily on spreading the floor. Not saying I didn’t want him. But, in hindsight, he might not have been the best fit playing next to another non-shooter in AW. And, he’s not worth anything close to $2M.

I think Carr is a great fit at the 4. He’s a good rebounder & perimeter shooter. But, he’s also a physical player who can finish around the basket. And, he’ll be a really good secondary rim protector. He’ll be good enough to make ppl forget about Osobor, IMO.

My exact thoughts. I wanted Osobor more than anyone but Carr is a hell of a consolation prize. I feel like both were offered and told only 1 spot available and Carr took it. Good for him.

Definitely. I just wonder how everything truly went down because it was extremely odd to have him and his parents on campus only to have someone commit at his position while they’re on the visit.

That was odd but the staff probably heard the number and passed. At least I hope that's what happened because the money he got was absurd especially for him. After all it was widely accepted that he wanted to play for UK, so it must've just been an issue of money and we said no.

Jmo but I don't see the hype anyway. Way undersized and seemed a bad fit for what we wanted to do. You can't be that size and play that way in the sec. Way too many 6'11" big guys who he wouldn't score over.

I'm convinced that some are only into recruiting and assembling rosters, and don't really get into watching the games.
Agree. It does seem that way. I bet if someone started a false account for a player, name it, make it 5* and we would see that name show up on here within 20 minutes. It would be if Pope does not go after Johnny Shootem the 5* from Nowhere Georgia he is stupid and should be fired. lol

Reactions: chroix and NociHTTP
I have been trying to explain to y'all that no-longer-being-first-fiddle is where this team is now. If we could have paid Osobor what he was asking, we could have had him. It's that simple. Recruiting has become far less complicated now that all the money is over the table. You guys complicate it still because you refuse to come to the grips with where we actually are as a program. We're bottom half in the conference in facilities. The name no longer means anything to these kids when they can go to dang Texas Tech and make more money!
I'm surprised you would admit your Arkansas program is bottom half in conference facilities

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
Agreed, he would have taken this team from top 25 to top 10. But, not worth 2mil if that’s the correct number. Sounds like UK had 4mil to work with, so he wasn’t worth half the NIL money.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
That was odd but the staff probably heard the number and passed. At least I hope that's what happened because the money he got was absurd especially for him. After all it was widely accepted that he wanted to play for UK, so it must've just been an issue of money and we said no.

Jmo but I don't see the hype anyway. Way undersized and seemed a bad fit for what we wanted to do. You can't be that size and play that way in the sec. Way too many 6'11" big guys who he wouldn't score over.
That’s what I think, only thing that makes sense if they figured out quickly he wasn’t serious or using us to drive his value. That or his agent told them this was the offer so best it if you wanna commit and we already had Garrison on the line secretly who was not only ready to commit but to cost way less for comparable talent.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
What people forget is that if we paid the hostage 2 million to Osobor, then that would have changed the dynamic for the rest of the team. Robinson or Brea and others may have said 'I'm worth just as much', and then we may have shot our own NIL on like 8 guys or something. I have no idea how pope will handle it in the future, but I'd rather we offer a healthy minimum and then do some sort of performance scale for extra money. And team goals met mean X dollars, if that is possible to manage.

Reactions: Catzman
Osobor is really, really good but not sweating him at all. We have a very good frontcourt and with a guy like Garrison in his place, you get a burger boy that comes in as only a Sophomore. Balance is crucial in portal recruiting, you can't just merely stack the best players available and hope for the best...you have to consider fit and balance now as well.

His passing & rebounding would’ve been nice. But, he can’t score outside of 3 feet. Spacing could’ve been an issue & Pope’s offense relies heavily on spreading the floor. Not saying I didn’t want him. But, in hindsight, he might not have been the best fit playing next to another non-shooter in AW. And, he’s not worth anything close to $2M.

I think Carr is a great fit at the 4. He’s a good rebounder & perimeter shooter. But, he’s also a physical player who can finish around the basket. And, he’ll be a really good secondary rim protector. He’ll be good enough to make ppl forget about Osobor, IMO.
I'll add that I'm not so sure how well his offense would work against the level of competition he would see playing for us. It's either a dunk or that little flip shot from the video I've seen on him. The SEC players would swat that little flipper a whole lot. It's a very low shot. Could be I'm wrong and he would excel at this level.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I don’t think Osobor has any real intention of coming here. I honestly believe we were on his list to boost his profile
And I think that became clear during his visit
So I don’t think ally tbink it was a miss
I agree.

1 of 2 things is true:

1. He didn't want to come here, and was using Kentucky to drive up the NIL price. That makes sense given that he landed with his former coach at Washington.

2. He wanted to come here, but we simply wouldn't pony up. I'm ok with not ponying up. I think overpaying for guys is how you ensure you wind up in a mess. There's a lot of money, but there's certainly some limit to it. Coaching staffs nationwide will have to make decisions like this--do we pay this guy 2 million/2.5 million we have left--or take the 3 guys we can get with the 2.5 million?

Either way, I don't think it's a miss. Either He didn't want to be here. Or he demanded more money than we were willing to pay--which would imply we could have won out, we just chose not to.

Just reading thousands of comments about Davis he seems to be a superstar in college but not good enough to be drafted? I have seen him play and he is really good but will he be unstoppable every game? Have not seen him enough to know if a good defender, like an Oweh, could slow him down.

Everyone wants to say how limited Osobor’s offense is but exactly zero of you are talking about him being a defensive player of the year in his conference though? I’m openly saying that I hope Garrison turns it up and outplays Osobor but to say that we are as good with Garrison as we would’ve been with Great, is a tall order at this point.

Just reading thousands of comments about Davis he seems to be a superstar in college but not good enough to be drafted? I have seen him play and he is really good but will he be unstoppable every game? Have not seen him enough to know if a good defender, like an Oweh, could slow him down.

I haven't seen anyone say Garrison > Osobor. What ive seen said is maybe by missing on Osbor, we secured Garrison and Carr. Garrison and Carr > Osobor.

Also, while Stat for Stat this year, Osobor may be better. But Garrison is a multi-year guy and is still going to be a big piece of the pie this year. I don't think there was a chance we got Williams, Osobor and one of Carr/Garrison. We would have had to go light on that 3rd big and potentially used up most of our money to secure guys like Brea.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Haven’t given a second thought since he moved on, personally. Maybe he’s a real stud on both ends, but I’m kind of glad we won’t have to run an offense that forces it into the post given what we have on the perimeter.

Everyone wants to say how limited Osobor’s offense is but exactly zero of you are talking about him being a defensive player of the year in his conference though? I’m openly saying that I hope Garrison turns it up and outplays Osobor but to say that we are as good with Garrison as we would’ve been with Great, is a tall order at this point.
Do you mean Amari Williams because Osobor wasn’t DPOY in mountain west, that was Lamont Butler, our PG

Agree. It does seem that way. I bet if someone started a false account for a player, name it, make it 5* and we would see that name show up on here within 20 minutes. It would be if Pope does not go after Johnny Shootem the 5* from Nowhere Georgia he is stupid and should be fired. lol
Les Nesman of WkRP said Shootem was the next big thing. A mixture of Lebron, Kobe, and Larry Bird.😁

Nobody wants to give the defensive players of the year we signed (Bulter and Williams) any credit, why give it to a guy we didn't sign?

Nobody wants to give the defensive players of the year we signed (Bulter and Williams) any credit, why give it to a guy we didn't sign?
Williams was the first portal guy I wanted before Cal was even gone. Think of him as the rock to build around. Just not a lot of bigs that can defend the rim the way he does. A big presence on the floor that plays within himself and around the rim. A great starting point for a team. Williams, Oweh and Butler gives me hope for a great year because of how good they are on defense. Tons of people can score on every team, but finding and getting three of the very best defenders on the college level helps set us apart from a whole lot of teams.

Oso wanted 2 mill and he's basically a 3 foot in shot guy who wanted to play the 4/pf spot. Oso is 6-8 250 I'd much rather have Carr who is 6-11 235 and and a great pick and pop 3 point shooter think Scott Padgett but a couple inches taller. Almoror is a great backup at 6-7 225 with his shooting. Plus down low we got a blossoming 6-11 250 former McDonald's aa ready to break out in Garrison and 6-10 270 monster defender in Williams who is a 3x dpoy in his conference. I think Pope got exactly what he wanted and needed to fit this roster this year.
digging it

If you were half as clever as you think you are people wouldn't rip on all of your posts.
animation 2d GIF by Jake

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT