ADVERTISEMENT

Wenyen...

SmyrnaCatFan

Sophomore
Nov 9, 2012
Maybe I was just too hopeful and believed what I wanted but I gotta tell you, he looked, to me, so much more competent on offense last night. I know that he committed several fouls that resulted in points for AU. My point is I keep reading how none of our players have improved but I don't think that is the case. I think it is fan frustration at the final score that blinds to the progress that is being made.

Still a long way to go with a short time to get there. I like what I saw from him and Knox's return to scoring (went too long without a shot, though). Too many needs to have them all come together at the same time at present but each step by each player that moves them close to the goal brings all of them together eventually. Let's hope it is this season.

Our returning players have improved for sure, it's just they aren't elite...Cal's system needs elite talent, period. He has basic offensive plays so freshman can quickly pick it up...problem is unless you can out-skill the other team or have crazy athleticism, that offense is easily defended.

WG brings energy and effort almost every sec he's on the floor. Is he limited skill wise? Sure. But I love his effort and will never have an issue with him being on the court.
We get a lot of mileage out of a guy that has no concept of the mental approach to playing basketball.He seems like a bright kid but he has 0 intuition or feel for the game .As you say there should be no issue with him being on the court based on effort and willingness to do what he can to help us win.Easily my favorite player on the team but then SGA is the only other player in that thought process.

He’s not a very graceful player. And can’t guard his own shadow. Sorry but truth. Along with him and PJ they’re the biggest disappointments of the year. JMHO

We get a lot of mileage out of a guy that has no concept of the mental approach to playing basketball.He seems like a bright kid but he has 0 intuition or feel for the game .As you say there should be no issue with him being on the court based on effort and willingness to do what he can to help us win.Easily my favorite player on the team but then SGA is the only other player in that thought process.
I agree.

The other player I really like, and seemingly I’m by myself on this, is Jones.

I think he could be a solid player, but it seems as if he’s never received a fair shake.

He’s got more upside than our other bigs. Oh well, like I said, I seem to be alone on this.

I agree.

The other player I really like, and seemingly I’m by myself on this, is Jones.

I think he could be a solid player, but it seems as if he’s never received a fair shake.

He’s got more upside than our other bigs. Oh well, like I said, I seem to be alone on this.
It seem like every time he begins to carve himself a role something happens to set him back.

Reactions: Cindog28
I appreciate the replies to my post. I guess what impressed me was how he finally attacked without a travel call or losing his dribble. These were his offensive problems earlier to the point I never wanted to see the ball headed to the floor when he got it.

I appreciate the replies to my post. I guess what impressed me was how he finally attacked without a travel call or losing his dribble. These were his offensive problems earlier to the point I never wanted to see the ball headed to the floor when he got it.
Well, I feel the same way. It was sure nice to see him take that drive to the basket for the dunk. I hope he can get his 3 point shot back. He was a threat earlier, but in the last 5 games or so, he has been off. You have to love someone who gives it everything he has. He has improved this year and if he stays I expect a big jump in his game, physically and mentally.

he has improved ... and that's good news because he's a four year player and I hope he realizes that... his education will be money, more than his game, post basketball....

Reactions: SemperFiCat
his attacking the rim had more to do with Auburn's short guard oriented team than Wenyen improving. Against Bama... those drives will be closed off by a guy Wenyen's size or taller.
Saw in another thread, that you "liked" a post that was hoping Cal would move on from UK...
True?

I don't recall exact post.
Does it matter?
True or not, do you want Cal to move on from UK?

if you read my posts .. you'd see about 1000000 times I've said I want him to stay and change assistants among other things.

Ive also said if he refuses to change anything and we have another horrible season next year... then I'd start turning on him...

if you read my posts .. you'd see about 1000000 times I've said I want him to stay and change assistants among other things.

Ive also said if he refuses to change anything and we have another horrible season next year... then I'd start turning on him...
Ok. Good enough. That is kinda what I thought. I was just wondering if you had a change of heart

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
Gabriel's 3 point shooting percentage has plummeted. That's really hurt us in SEC play. If he's a threat as a stretch 4, it makes everyone better.
His 3pt % was 43%...it is now down to 32%. At one time he looked like he was morphing into a Derek Willis stretch 4...now he's shooting the 3ball like Briscoe. So that is killing UK as Hami is terrible, Vanderbilt is really bad, PJ is shooting 20% 3pt and Green (maybe our best shooter) is only 36%.

We need Wenyen to hit more 3pt shots...he's been ice cold over the last 8 games.

You can tell he was a kid that could play a sport. He doesn’t know how to play the sport he was chosen for though.

He's clueless in my humble opinion. Love the effort , its always there , but you are not going to win on the level we expect with him playing a major role . No way .. I just hope he can compliment the team somehow . Still lights a fire in me that he ate up a ton of minutes DW should have have had last year if Cal wasn't promoting him ( WG) . Serious question , how much better is WG this year than last ?

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Wenyen has always brought good energy when he enters the game, but his basketball IQ is about as low as a player at that level can be. When you have such a low basketball IQ, you are always a step or two behind and won't be in position to make plays. The play where he tried box out the Texas A&M player and missed by 4 feet that allowed a bucket and 3 point play was unbelievable. Defensively, he constantly gets backpicked on back line of the zone and on inbounds plays that lead to easy layups/dunks.

Offensively, I don't think Cal is using him right. Wenyen doesn't need to be setting picks (he always gets called for illegal picks as he isn't set) at the top of the key, handling the ball from 30 feet out, or trying to make plays off the dribble - that isn't his strength! Cal needs to put Wenyen on the baseline moving side to side looking for alley-oop dunks and looking for offensive rebounds on missed shots. This will also improve the spacing and allow more dribble drives as there are less players clogging up the perimeter and paint.

ADVERTISEMENT