ADVERTISEMENT

Wendell Carter Jr.'s Mother compares NCAA to Slavery

The ever-changing terms for black people is a case of best intentions at the outset, but a good example of a cause that got hijacked by the SJWs. Obviously, we all know the ugly word many people used back in the day. But we went from that to negros, colored people, and now African-American or Afro-American. The problem is that the current term is cumbersome in many ways it is used, and not always accurate. Say you meet some who fits that description and start using the AA term. Then you find out that they are not American, but Canadian. Do you then call them African-Canadian? Or maybe they are from any number of countries in Europe. What starts out as a way to get past the usage of a filthy word, becomes a never-ending pursuit of a non-offensive word, but eventually people start being offended by that term and move on to another one.
No I get all that and I respect the fact that you explained the meaning behind all of that but so many people walk around on egg shells trying to be politically correct and they don’t even know why they’re doing it or the reason behind it. Wenyen Gabriel is African American. I wish politically correct whites would understand the difference.

Maybe my first ever post on Rafters, and I have not read all 8 pages of this thread. Most of my thoughts on the slavery comment fall under the category of "oh give me a break". I personally spent several hundred thousand dollars educating my two kids, I wish one of them had gotten 1/100 of the benefit Carter received.

But the commentator that stated that "the argument that the one and done must end argument is per se evidence of racism, no one cared when Jordan Spieth turned pro after one year at Texas"

That comment is completely FOS. There is literally zero comparison between college golf, a sport which has about 75 fans who are not parents or BF/GF vs. college basketball where there are billions in revenue generated, has prime time telecasts all the time on multiple channels, and pays head coaches 5, 6 even 7 million a year. Plus the PGA does not pay its players, you have to earn every paycheck by making the cut, no matter who you are, while the NBA pays millions to bench sitters, while college basketball is a defacto minor league system.

Okay, cool, so you're only interested in bits and pieces of the replies you demand. Good to know. Have a good day.

So I responded fully to another of your posts where I agreed with some of it, but now when you posted something I thought was really appropriate to the discussion and I use that section instead of the whole post, it's "bits and pieces". I didn't even ask for a reply from you.

You have a good day as well.

So I responded fully to another of your posts where I agreed with some of it, but now when you posted something I thought was really appropriate to the discussion and I use that section instead of the whole post, it's "bits and pieces". I didn't even ask for a reply from you.

You have a good day as well.

I must have missed the original post you're talking about. The quote notification doesn't always pop up.

Care to elaborate on what your reply meant? I don't see how it pertains to the discussion, but maybe I'm misreading the "hmmm" part. It seems like a topic like this would require more input, but again, I'm probably missing something here.

I must have missed the original post you're talking about. The quote notification doesn't always pop up.

Care to elaborate on what your reply meant? I don't see how it pertains to the discussion, but maybe I'm misreading the "hmmm" part. It seems like a topic like this would require more input, but again, I'm probably missing something here.

I replied to 2 of your posts. In regards to the first, I think I quoted it fully and agreed in substance with part of your take.

On this last post, I thought the line about paying for damages that you caused was very appropriate to the stance of having people pay reparations for something they had no control or part in.

The "hmmmmm" was not meant in any derogatory way toward you. Just that your analogy was very appropriate, whether you intended it to be or not.

That is all.

I replied to 2 of your posts. In regards to the first, I think I quoted it fully and agreed in substance with part of your take.

On this last post, I thought the line about paying for damages that you caused was very appropriate to the stance of having people pay reparations for something they had no control or part in.

The "hmmmmm" was not meant in any derogatory way toward you. Just that your analogy was very appropriate, whether you intended it to be or not.

That is all.

I see your point on the car analogy. That's why I included the caveat that I didn't pay the original owner of the car. The debt is unsettled, in that argument, which is how those in favor of reparations feel.

I'm not sure what my stance on it is, but I see the logic in the one-time payment being considered a repayment of what is owed.

Off to re-read and look for your original replies. I still don't see them in my notifications.

I see your point on the car analogy. That's why I included the caveat that I didn't pay the original owner of the car. The debt is unsettled, in that argument, which is how those in favor of reparations feel.

I'm not sure what my stance on it is, but I see the logic in the one-time payment being considered a repayment of what is owed.

Off to re-read and look for your original replies. I still don't see them in my notifications.

I thought it was you, who said that both parties were hypocritical in different areas...R's in spending....I agreed...If it wasn't you, I apologize

Reactions: GonzoCat90

Yeah, but the car analogy is just terrible in general.

But even with your caveat, you would be paying descendants of the people you caused the damage to.....I, nor anyone else, would be required to pay it.....

That is all.

Only quoting this post cause I don’t feel like going back to where you replied to me.

We can agree slavery was bad. I think. We can also agree that land and other things were indeed given as reparations to southern slaves, I think. But those were taken from them and given back to their plantation owners.

Is that okay? Should they have never been returned?

But even with your caveat, you would be paying descendants of the people you caused the damage to.....I, nor anyone else, would be required to pay it.....

It is already possible and frequent that debt can pass on after a person’s death. Can it not?

True, but we've seen the estate of so-and-so be responsible for things like that before. Again, I'm not arguing for or against the idea, I'm just explaining the logic behind the one-time payment.

Whoever makes it on behalf of the guilty party, and whoever receives it on behalf of the wronged, it's been made. You wouldn't need to keep making the payment.

Monumentally, stupid human being, mother of what's his name. Don't recall anybody having the moment to moment ability to quit either slavery or prison.

Only quoting this post cause I don’t feel like going back to where you replied to me.

We can agree slavery was bad. I think. We can also agree that land and other things were indeed given as reparations to southern slaves, I think. But those were taken from them and given back to their plantation owners.

Is that okay? Should they have never been returned?

"I think"................that little snippet says volumes about you and your condescending attitude toward anyone who may disagree with you...............especially, since I replied to you on that very subject.

If land was taken from them, that is also bad. A lot of bad/terrible things have happened to a lot of people throughout history. You learn from it, hope to never repeat it and move on, trying to be better.

I think most of this country (blacks and whites) live by this credo.....

Some will not and I promise you that whatever reparations you wish would be paid, would not be enough for some.

"I think"................that little snippet says volumes about you and your condescending attitude toward anyone who may disagree with you...............especially, since I replied to you on that very subject.

If land was taken from them, that is also bad. A lot of bad/terrible things have happened to a lot of people throughout history. You learn from it, hope to never repeat it and move on, trying to be better.

Not IF...WAS taken back by the government.

Glad you’re okay with the government stealing from its citizens and never repaying, robbing them of the opportunity to pass that land and property aka wealth to their children.

True, but we've seen the estate of so-and-so be responsible for things like that before. Again, I'm not arguing for or against the idea, I'm just explaining the logic behind the one-time payment.

Whoever makes it on behalf of the guilty party, and whoever receives it on behalf of the wronged, it's been made. You wouldn't need to keep making the payment.

Gonzo, I know we are going round and round, But you just mentioned the "estate of so and so would be responsible in your car analogy".

How on earth would you determine which descendants were definitely slave owners and which were definitely slave descendants?

What about a black person that moved here from Africa in 1975, etc? Would they get money, for simply being black?

Who does all the vetting?

I'm sorry, but IMHO this proposal is not feasible and would lead to more race relation problems and even serious problems among blacks who got money and those blacks who didn't. You know that and I know that.

Glad you’re okay with the government stealing from its citizens and never repaying, robbing them of the opportunity to pass that land and property aka wealth to their children.

My goodness you are such a freaking tool....you just can't be honest about anything I have written.......

Please use my exact quote where I said I was OK with it......HINT: You won't find one, but that won't matter with what you post.

That's what people do when they can't win the argument. They create a false narrative.

Thankfully, every person here (even those that may disagree with me) can read what I post and not what you implied that I posted.

Please go get some sleep now........it may help

Someone takes something. Doesn’t give it back.

You don’t want those people to be made whole.

What am I missing?

Gonzo, I know we are going round and round, But you just mentioned the "estate of so and so would be responsible in your car analogy".

How on earth would you determine which descendants were definitely slave owners and which were definitely slave descendants?

What about a black person that moved here from Africa in 1975, etc? Would they get money, for simply being black?

Who does all the vetting?

I'm sorry, but IMHO this proposal is not feasible and would lead to more race relation problems and even serious problems among blacks who got money and those blacks who didn't. You know that and I know that.

I'm not so much concerned with the logistics of it. We've put people in space. We have a registry of everyone who exists, basically. We manage to tax the entire population and even audit them sometimes for mistakes. If something is the right thing to do, we can figure it out.

I think it would likely end up like nearly everything else: lots of teeth gnashing, overreactions on both sides, people who felt they were treated unfairly, and mostly satisfied or happy folks who don't say much about it and go unnoticed.

I don't have all the answers, and I think it's counterproductive to have that be the standard for the conversation. You and I can discuss next year's team without statistically analyzing every opponent and the travel logistics and all of that. That isn't our place in the discussion. Other people handle it.

I know this is a hard concept to grasp, but playing tee ball, little league, and flag football are not in the same realm as what I'm discussing.

You have a real tough time with reading comprehension and intelligent discussion. Move on. This isn't for you.
Why isn’t it the same? It doesn’t fit your agenda?

I already linked an article with a logical approach to reparations. If you choose to ignore that as you do history and its context, that's on you.

The idea of reparations is not a new one and is not a "black" idea. It has been done. We, as a nation, just chose to never even attempt to make up for our past sins.
How many people do you think live on this planet whose ancestors haven’t been enslaved? Certainly nearly all from Africa as slavery existed on that continent long before Europeans became involved (should Africans pay reparations to other Africans?). Nearly all of European descent have ancestors enslaved by Germans, Vikings,Normans, Saxons, etc. Those from the middle and Far East aren’t excluded here either. Where does your lame, near sighted PC argument begin or extend to both in reference to time and geography?
We should all get some perspective as long as it’s yours.

Countless hours in the gym, traveling across the country all summer to play against the best competition...all while playing a full season during the rest of the year and gaining their high school diploma.

I forget the name of the documentary on Netflix, but it is about amateurism or lack there of. They interviewed current and former high school stars and asked what it was they missed out on. All of them said they didn't have a regular childhood. Couldn't play with their friends, go to parties, etc...like a normal person.

This is the same for all people who achieve this level of success. Whether it be actors, musicians or atheletes.

People have this misconception that star athletes didn't work for their achievements. Natural ability exists, but they are not coasting on that.
I played a sport through college with several full D1 offers including UK and Xavier. I don’t begrudge the countless hours I spent practicing, traveling, playing. My parents don’t begrudge their time or expenses. Your argument holds no weight. There are many people who play the pay me, I’ve been taken advantage of part(likely including you), who always have their hand out. Most quality people play sports to have fun, exercise, develop as individuals and team players, and so on.
Yes, to excel requires work. And? So what? Many people have hobbies that require time, effort, expense, etc and they’ll never be paid for them.

So let’s give the entire U.S. back to all of the Native American tribes because make no mistake....via fire power and manifest destiny we took this whole country from them. So their claim precedes the slave’s claim.

Do you see just how convoluted this argument is?

This is just plain stupidity. Why would I pay more money any taxes when I know it's not going to be directed towards reparations like we are discussing?

I'm not talking about randomly giving out $100 bills to black people. I'm talking about an intelligent, widespread approach. But you know that. You're just too dumb to discuss real life.
So make us a list of the people or charities where you’re making reparations to people. This is real life, or are you just too dumb to have taken initiative and done this for yourself. Give us a list, no-one said just randomly hand out $100 bills to black people. Show us your intelligent widespread efforts, even if the financial impact has been small. Reparations have been done before, Americans just need more leadership from the likes of you.

So let’s give the entire U.S. back to all of the Native American tribes because make no mistake....via fire power and manifest destiny we took this whole country from them. So their claim precedes the slave’s claim.

Do you see just how convoluted this argument is?
His argument works to fit his agenda, but only his.

His argument works to fit his agenda, but only his.
Yes. He is literally arguing for the sake of arguing. I’ll state this as applicable to everyone who plays this card....a victim mentality will only hold you back....you cant move forward looking back. I agree we must learn from our past and grow from it and we must all do it together. I agree we have a long way to go but we have come a long way.

Ah reperations. The term that every one throws around but when yoy dive into it, you see how little sense it makes.

You want poor white people who cant feed themselves to pay for the sin of someone from over centuries ago? You're a nut and it will not be entertained.

What do we do if a black man has a tie to a slave owner?

What do you do if a white person has no slave ownership in their line?

This generation is so pussiefied and victimized its pathetic.

I like the white guys in tbe thread that are liberals from towns 98%white that think the nation is their childhood street with rebel flags.

Liberal white men have been the worst possible alliance for the black community and the data and facts support it. Liberal white boy policies have caused half of the problem. Soon the african american communities will wake up and see it for what it is.

And they ground and pound blacks that dont follow in line. They use them for political gains and dont give two shts when the election is over. At least conservatism offers a way out, on your own. Id never raise my kids to be liberal beta boy victims, its disgusting.

Reactions: BlueRupp
Let's get this moved over to The Paddock, I feel like it's taken a turn away from sports...

The history of the world is one gigantic story of rough sh*t happening to people. The descendants of every group of people can say some sh*t happened to their ancestors at one point. African Americans are not the only people to which historical atrocities have happened...

Reparations is an interesting topic that lends itself to many philosophical discussions.

Why exactly does somebody today deserve a payment for something that did not happen to them?

Is there ever a situation that justifies somebody today having to pay for something they did not partake in?

If your great great great great great grandfather murdered several people, do you owe their descendants money?

Are the descendants of poor farmers who came over on a boat long after slavery exempt?

Criminals can and should be responsible for crimes they commit, should their families, offspring, descendants be held responsible and liable to pay?

Being 20 trillion+ in debt, if the gov. ever decided to pay, where does the money come from?

Should all the reparation eligible people who've made it in life and are wealthy decline the reparation?

Do bi/mixed racial individuals get the same amount?

How much would a bi racial person who can trace their WASP roots back to slave owners, and AA roots back to slaves owe and/or be owed?

If you adopted and/or fostered African American children, could you have a legit argument to say "nah, I think I've done more than enough..."?

How much would suffice? How would the payment be paid out?

Let's get this moved over to The Paddock, I feel like it's taken a turn away from sports...

The history of the world is one gigantic story of rough sh*t happening to people. The descendants of every group of people can say some sh*t happened to their ancestors at one point. African Americans are not the only people to which historical atrocities have happened...

Reparations is an interesting topic that lends itself to many philosophical discussions.

Why exactly does somebody today deserve a payment for something that did not happen to them?

Is there ever a situation that justifies somebody today having to pay for something they did not partake in?

If your great great great great great grandfather murdered several people, do you owe their descendants money?

Are the descendants of poor farmers who came over on a boat long after slavery exempt?

Criminals can and should be responsible for crimes they commit, should their families, offspring, descendants be held responsible and liable to pay?

Being 20 trillion+ in debt, if the gov. ever decided to pay, where does the money come from?

Should all the reparation eligible people who've made it in life and are wealthy decline the reparation?

Do bi/mixed racial individuals get the same amount?

How much would a bi racial person who can trace their WASP roots back to slave owners, and AA roots back to slaves owe and/or be owed?

If you adopted and/or fostered African American children, could you have a legit argument to say "nah, I think I've done more than enough..."?

How much would suffice? How would the payment be paid out?

I have asked many of these questions earlier in the thread............good list!!

Someone takes something. Doesn’t give it back.

You don’t want those people to be made whole.

What am I missing?

You steal from me and won't give the item back...................no judge/jury would make any other poster in this thread pay restitution to me.

That is what you are missing....

People there is a difference in settlers and immigrants. I know libs like to blur the lines to the ignorant so they can promote their agenda, but its not the same thing.

Also, my people, indians, were the most brutal people of the time in some respects. This country has improved the lives of many people through our course in history.

We are an uneducated society and that was the plan all along.

Are you that ignorant of history and the idea of reparations?

Read this if you don't want to be: https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/...any-honors-duty-to-pay-holocaust-victims.html

I think you might need to learn how to read. I asked if anyone held animosity towards Germans. I don't think I said, did they have to pay any money... I didn't read the whole thing, just the first few lines, don't feel like wasting my time. Based on your previous post, you really have something to prove. Go ahead, your arguments have been pretty ridiculous. Carry on, just don't go around calling others ignorant. From your post so far that's been my assumption of you but I'm not going to say it, trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: RipThru and UNIVKY
Ah reperations. The term that every one throws around but when yoy dive into it, you see how little sense it makes.

You want poor white people who cant feed themselves to pay for the sin of someone from over centuries ago? You're a nut and it will not be entertained.

What do we do if a black man has a tie to a slave owner?

What do you do if a white person has no slave ownership in their line?

This generation is so pussiefied and victimized its pathetic.
What do you do about the fact that we are so intermingled that I’m willing to bet that anyone in this country, whose families have been here for generations, have black AND white ancestry ?

What do you do about the fact that we are so intermingled that I’m willing to bet that anyone in this country, whose families have been here for generations, have black AND white ancestry ?
Congratulations BKO you just reinvented the Oreo cookie
Seriously Bill Murray said it bestbin stripes. “We’re all Mutts”

Ah , you don’t understand capitalism. How much revenue did your pick up game generate?
It doesn’t matter if your playing checkers, if it generates millions of dollars in revenue you desrve your fair share.

He knew going in he was not getting paid. Could have went overseas. Chose to go to Duke. Will be a millionaire in a month or so. Slavery I think not. As much as I dislike coach K plantation owner he is not. I think they should be able to make money off autographs, commercials, or whatever. However the NCAA has rules against it. You either play by the house rules or you don't play. At the end of the day he was not forced to play college basketball.

Reactions: morgousky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT