ADVERTISEMENT

Wendell Carter Jr.'s Mother compares NCAA to Slavery

Everything listed there are common things considered "racist" by media and activists. I can support my argument with many links, if needed.

Again, they're intellectually dishonest. They're overly simplistic and twisted to the point of absurdity. No one thinks standardized testing is racist.

Some believe that the construction of the test, the phrasing, the material, the format, etc. is geared more toward what is familiar and taught to a particular section of students and therefore sometimes yields inaccurate results.

But that's a complex, nuanced discussion that isn't going to go anywhere on the internet with someone who boils it down to "standardized tests are racist." It's the converse of what Carter's mom tried to do. One bothers you, one is "factual."

Just not the time or place for it. You guys have fun until it gets locked or moved.

Reactions: mustnotsleepnow
The only thing remotely close to slavery in her speech, was her obvious racism.

It usually annoys me when people automatically respond to a topic about race with "why is it always about race," but I definitely think this is an exception. Comparing the NCAA the slavery is ignorant, and there is absolutely no reason to bring in black/white issues into the topic.

Interesting. Reparations from whom and for whom?

This article does a good job of laying out a plan and the justification for reparations. Yes, I know it's the Huffington Post. But it doesn't discount the research included. So, try to keep an open mind, conservatives.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/reparations-black-americans-slavery_us_56c4dfa9e4b08ffac1276bd7

On who receives compensation:

William Darity, a public policy professor at Duke University who has studied reparations extensively, proposes two specific requirements for eligibility to receive a payout. First, at least 10 years before the onset of a reparations program, an individual must have self-identified on a census form or other formal document as black, African-American, colored or Negro. Second, each individual must provide proof of an ancestor who was enslaved in the U.S.

Plan for reparations:

Darity suggests that financial payouts be divided between individual recipients and a variety of endowments set up to develop the economic strength of the black community. His model is inspired by Germany’s restitution payments both to victims of the Holocaust and to Israel.

The advantage of individual payouts, Miller notes, is that they maximize autonomy. But much of that money would land back in the white-dominated economy and “the one percent would become one percentier,” he said.

Hence the value of using a portion of reparation funds to create programs geared toward aiding black people in combating the damage of racism.

“One could think of Black America as being a community that could benefit from development investments,” Darity said. “So you could have a trust fund that was set up to finance higher education, [another] to create greater opportunities for opening one’s own business, and so forth.”

Darity envisions the U.S. government establishing and overseeing these programs. Although it might seem counter-intuitive to give this power to the very institution that committed so much discrimination against black people, the professor said the government should be heavily involved precisely because of that history.

“The U.S. government is the responsible party because of the entire legal apparatus that supported both slavery and, subsequently, Jim Crow and continues to permit ongoing discrimination,” he said.

Miller emphasizes that the reparations-funded programs must be fully accessible to and controlled by members of the black community.

Ah, a tidbit of truth from your wry post. The idea of "even". There is no such thing. It can't be legislated or forced. It is an impossible yardstick. Anyone who stays upset because their lot in life isn't "even" will stay a victim of their own making, regardless of race, gender and so on.

I don't disagree. But you won't like my stance on it.

Fair isn't giving everyone the same thing. Fair is giving everyone what they need. I also think the level of complaining about victimization is ironic and funny.

"*They* just want to be victims and that's why *I* can't have anything." Not you, just the common path these talks go down.

The good news is, we can disagree without either of us having to be dumb or racist or anything. I have zero doubt you're a really good guy with a lot of the same values that are important to me. We just look at them differently. I'm glad someone does. We need that.

You think that was free? Like 5 star athletes don’t work hard, sacrificing years of their childhood for the opportunity to play ball for a living?

I don’t think Duke, or UK for that matter, are throwing scholarships to random people on the street.
Why was it sacrificing their childhood to play a sport they enjoyed? How is that work? You could benefit from some perspective yourself.

This article does a good job of laying out a plan and the justification for reparations. Yes, I know it's the Huffington Post. But it doesn't discount the research included. So, try to keep an open mind, conservatives.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/reparations-black-americans-slavery_us_56c4dfa9e4b08ffac1276bd7

William Darity, a public policy professor at Duke University who has studied reparations extensively, proposes two specific requirements for eligibility to receive a payout. First, at least 10 years before the onset of a reparations program, an individual must have self-identified on a census form or other formal document as black, African-American, colored or Negro. Second, each individual must provide proof of an ancestor who was enslaved in the U.S.

Plan for reparations:

Darity suggests that financial payouts be divided between individual recipients and a variety of endowments set up to develop the economic strength of the black community. His model is inspired by Germany’s restitution payments both to victims of the Holocaust and to Israel.

The advantage of individual payouts, Miller notes, is that they maximize autonomy. But much of that money would land back in the white-dominated economy and “the one percent would become one percentier,” he said.

Hence the value of using a portion of reparation funds to create programs geared toward aiding black people in combating the damage of racism.

“One could think of Black America as being a community that could benefit from development investments,” Darity said. “So you could have a trust fund that was set up to finance higher education, [another] to create greater opportunities for opening one’s own business, and so forth.”

Darity envisions the U.S. government establishing and overseeing these programs. Although it might seem counter-intuitive to give this power to the very institution that committed so much discrimination against black people, the professor said the government should be heavily involved precisely because of that history.

“The U.S. government is the responsible party because of the entire legal apparatus that supported both slavery and, subsequently, Jim Crow and continues to permit ongoing discrimination,” he said.

Miller emphasizes that the reparations-funded programs must be fully accessible to and controlled by members of the black community.
You must fall into the camp of thinking you’re entitled to reparations, or thinking others should pay for them but not you. Doubt that you would open your purse or wallet unless it was to receive.

Why was it sacrificing their childhood to play a sport they enjoyed? How is that work? You could benefit from some perspective yourself.

Countless hours in the gym, traveling across the country all summer to play against the best competition...all while playing a full season during the rest of the year and gaining their high school diploma.

I forget the name of the documentary on Netflix, but it is about amateurism or lack there of. They interviewed current and former high school stars and asked what it was they missed out on. All of them said they didn't have a regular childhood. Couldn't play with their friends, go to parties, etc...like a normal person.

This is the same for all people who achieve this level of success. Whether it be actors, musicians or atheletes.

People have this misconception that star athletes didn't work for their achievements. Natural ability exists, but they are not coasting on that.

You must fall into the camp of thinking you’re entitled to reparations, or thinking others should pay for them but not you. Doubt that you would open your purse or wallet unless it was to receive.

Incorrect.

I believe in justice. If reparations ever go into effect, I will not complain one bit about paying my portion.

Oh my God. I just realized I sacrificed my childhood by playing tee ball, little league baseball, flag football, AAU basketball and three sports up to high school.

I have been exploited!!!!

Oh my God. I just realized I sacrificed my childhood by playing tee ball, little league baseball, flag football, AAU basketball and three sports up to high school.

I have been exploited!!!!

I know this is a hard concept to grasp, but playing tee ball, little league, and flag football are not in the same realm as what I'm discussing.

You have a real tough time with reading comprehension and intelligent discussion. Move on. This isn't for you.

Incorrect.

I believe in justice. If reparations ever go into effect, I will not complain one bit about paying my portion.

Why wait...just like liberals who complain they don't pay enough in taxes...there are no limits....you can pay as much in taxes as you want to....there is only a minimum.....

Liberals pay the minimum in taxes that they possibly can....because they are frauds...

You can give your money (reparations) to every black person you meet...you won't....because you are a fraud

Reactions: AFSTALLION13
When these top 20 or 50 high school players(and their families) choose not to go on t v and make a production of announcing where they are going to college to play basketball. When they walk away from being on t v, and having the viewers hang on every word of their interviews then I will consider taking their claims of exploitation seriously.

Their goal is to get to the big payday and they have the physical tools to make that happen but don't expect me to feel sorry for them while they put in the work necessary to get there.

I don't disagree. But you won't like my stance on it.

Fair isn't giving everyone the same thing. Fair is giving everyone what they need. I also think the level of complaining about victimization is ironic and funny.

"*They* just want to be victims and that's why *I* can't have anything." Not you, just the common path these talks go down.

The good news is, we can disagree without either of us having to be dumb or racist or anything. I have zero doubt you're a really good guy with a lot of the same values that are important to me. We just look at them differently. I'm glad someone does. We need that.
I agree with your last paragraph.

When these top 20 or 50 high school players(and their families) choose not to go on t v and make a production of announcing where they are going to college to play basketball. When they walk away from being on t v, and having the viewers hang on every word of their interviews then I will consider taking their claims of exploitation seriously.

Their goal is to get to the big payday and they have the physical tools to make that happen but don't expect me to feel sorry for them while they put in the work necessary to get there.

HER FIRST PARAGRAPH...
"When you remove all the bling and the bells and the sneakers and all that," she said, "you've paid for a child to come to your school to do what you wanted them to do for you, for free, and you made a lot of money when he did that, and you've got all these rules in place that say he cannot share in any of that. The only other time when labor does not get paid but yet someone else gets profits and the labor is black and the profit is white, is in slavery.

and free education, free publicity (on TV weekly for 4 months or so), travel around the country; sometimes the world, growth as a human, 100s of thousand OF DOLLARS it would cost to attend Duke..
Yep, after removing ALL of that the players are non-paid laborers...

smh...smh... smh

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA

Plan for reparations:

Ok, I cringed clicking the link, but I did and I read it. I have many issues with the article. I have many issues with Ta'nehisi Coates as I believe him to be an overt racist. At any rate, lets say reparations are due to the rather nebulous group identified. Who is to pay these reparations?

Why wait...just like liberals who complain they don't pay enough in taxes...there are no limits....you can pay as much in taxes as you want to....there is only a minimum.....

Liberals pay the minimum in taxes that they possibly can....because they are frauds...

You can give your money (reparations) to every black person you meet...you won't....because you are a fraud
Since were going political on the basketball board, just like liberals, conservatives are frauds too. Claim to be for smaller government, love to spend trillions on the military. Love deficit spending. Claim the poor military was depleted after the Obama years after only over $4 trillion dollars in 8 years. Truth is neither have principles, just ignorant sheep who are locked into their tribal politics.

Yeah thankfully everything was good race wise until that very specific time.
Tough times my man, prayers for you and your struggle.
Don't be an ass. You know this is true. I have worked in human resources and if a white male had anything sketchy in their background they are almost automatically disqualified. The same did not apply to minorities.

If you are a minority in most places today and are not a total screw up you can name your school and job and it's handed to you based solely on your skin color.

Don't be an ass. You know this is true. I have worked in human resources and if a white male had anything sketchy in their background they are almost automatically disqualified. The same did not apply to minorities.

If you are a minority in most places today and are not a total screw up you can name your school and job and it's handed to you based solely on your skin color.
I'm not being an ass, I didnt realize white males had it so hard in this country. Good thing Trump has a squeaky clean background because theres no way he would have ascended to the highest office in the land. It just ain't fair.

Yeah thankfully everything was good race wise until that very specific time.
images

Scenes like this were not common until the Great Divider made minorities feel like victims and always speaking out on the behalf of the alleged criminal before knowing all of the facts. That alone showed his agenda. He even spoke out about Trayvon Martin as if the police killed him. Hate all things authority, especially white authority.

If we are to pay athletes that make schools a lot of money that are on scholarship, do we request athletes who lose money in their sports, like Ole Miss women's BB, to pay back their scholarship money, travel costs, training, medical, etc?

The tired “ if you don’t like it leave” or “ go back to Africa” arguments are lame. How about change the situation in America?

I guess reading is hard; where in that post did I say any of what you wrote? My point is that there are other options other than going to play college ball. I didn't realize I had to spell that out for you, but we are dealing with a "useful idiot".

Reactions: flacat22
The only thing holding blacks back in America now are blacks. It's a cultural issue. Their mentors are athletes, rappers and drug dealers because 70% grow up without dads. If one excels in life they are labeled as "being too white" or a "sell out" or "uncle Tom." Instead of encouraging each other it's easier to play the victim and have everything handed to you.

Reactions: Bobcat94
The only thing holding blacks back in America now are blacks. It's a cultural issue. Their mentors are athletes, rappers and drug dealers because 70% grow up without dads. If one excels in life they are labeled as "being too white" or a "sell out" or "uncle Tom." Instead of encouraging each other it's easier to play the victim and have everything handed to you.

I never hear any of my African American friends say that.

I was a college athlete, I remember getting to travel the country and free food. Never once did I feel like it was slavery, but a privilege. While I couldn't do certain things for extra income, which would've been nice. I think the school, food, travel, girls etc. Made up for it. Also, I don't recall coach ever administering lashings and no one on my team died, plus no one was forced into sex. Comparing these things are silly, it was awesome to be on a college sports team. I'm guessing and it's just a guess, no one ever said that about being a slave. I do think it would be nice for players to get a little cash, at least while in season, because it's hard to work. However, there is no comparison here.

Just curious, how many of you hate German people? Are current Germans responsible, for their ancestors trying to commit genocide? I'm guessing no one here does, so why has this crap carried on through multiple generations?

Reactions: MWes11

This is just plain stupidity. Why would I pay more money any taxes when I know it's not going to be directed towards reparations like we are discussing?

I'm not talking about randomly giving out $100 bills to black people. I'm talking about an intelligent, widespread approach. But you know that. You're just too dumb to discuss real life.

I was a college athlete, I remember getting to travel the country and free food. Never once did I feel like it was slavery, but a privilege. While I couldn't do certain things for extra income, which would've been nice. I think the school, food, travel, girls etc. Made up for it. Also, I don't recall coach ever administering lashings and no one on my team died, plus no one was forced into sex. Comparing these things are silly, it was awesome to be on a college sports team. I'm guessing and it's just a guess, no one ever said that about being a slave. I do think it would be nice for players to get a little cash, at least while in season, because it's hard to work. However, there is no comparison here.

Just curious, how many of you hate German people? Are current Germans responsible, for their ancestors trying to commit genocide? I'm guessing no one here does, so why has this crap carried on through multiple generations?

Are you that ignorant of history and the idea of reparations?

Read this if you don't want to be: https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/...any-honors-duty-to-pay-holocaust-victims.html

I didn’t read all 6 pages but did anybody discuss the practice of our kids doing “chores” and not getting paid by their parents as slavery?? I don’t mean “bling like food, shelter or education”. I mean hard cold cash other than the measly allowance some kids get. I think we really need to look into this current form of slavery.

I didn’t read all 6 pages but did anybody discuss the practice of our kids doing “chores” and not getting paid by their parents as slavery?? I don’t mean “bling like food, shelter or education”. I mean hard cold cash other than the measly allowance some kids get. I think we really need to look into this current form of slavery.

Are you making billions of dollars from your kids doing the dishes? Does their labor create vast amounts of revenue for someone? Because that's the entire crux of her argument and comparison.

Reactions: mustnotsleepnow
This is just plain stupidity. Why would I pay more money any taxes when I know it's not going to be directed towards reparations like we are discussing?

I'm not talking about randomly giving out $100 bills to black people. I'm talking about an intelligent, widespread approach. But you know that. You're just too dumb to discuss real life.

So how do we pay reparations and where does the money come from.....well, of course the money must come from taxpayers.....now lets see....black people also pay taxes, so are we going to make them pay reparations as well? Are hispanics, asians, etc. also required to pay for white people's sin?

Or do we have a "whitey" extra tax, to insure only whites are paying the reparation taxes?

What about mixed race (black and white) individuals? Do they pay only half the amount and/or only get 1/2 amount of reparations?

Speaking of dumb, reparations may be at the top of the list.

What is your intelligent, widespread approach?

What amount will be enough?

How many years must it be paid?

Please enlighten us....

Come on Kentucky.....she did not say it was EXACTLY like slavery. You all are intelligent enough to know what she meant. These kids give their blood, sweat and tears and generate millions of dollars and most only receive a four year college scholarship in return. That's bad math and does have the look of free labor. Clearly it's not the exact same thing but you get the point.

So how do we pay reparations and where does the money come from.....well, of course the money must come from taxpayers.....now lets see....black people also pay taxes, so are we going to make them pay reparations as well? Are hispanics, asians, etc. also required to pay for white people's sin?

Or do we have a "whitey" extra tax, to insure only whites are paying the reparation taxes?

What about mixed race (black and white) individuals? Do they pay only half the amount and/or only get 1/2 amount of reparations?

Speaking of dumb ideas, reparations may be at the top of the list.

Please enlighten us....

I already linked an article with a logical approach to reparations. If you choose to ignore that as you do history and its context, that's on you.

The idea of reparations is not a new one and is not a "black" idea. It has been done. We, as a nation, just chose to never even attempt to make up for our past sins.

Come on Kentucky.....she did not say it was EXACTLY like slavery. You all are intelligent enough to know what she meant. These kids give their blood, sweat and tears and generate millions of dollars and most only receive a four year college scholarship in return. That's bad math and does have the look of free labor. Clearly it's not the exact same thing but you get the point.

Not to mention...some of these kids, I'm looking at you UNC, are cheated out of an education that is supposedly their salary in lieu of monetary repayment.

Reactions: THOTKing

Speaking of dumb, reparations may be at the top of the list.

Please enlighten us....

Just to make you more aware regarding my first response to you....

Reparations to Japanese-Americans:

Reparations to Holocaust survivors:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...7bbd53d2b5d_story.html?utm_term=.5953e14f3491

Reparations to Native Americans:
http://www.prrac.org/full_text.php? text_id=649&item_id=6623&newsletter_id=17

And this handy dandy chart that summarizes reparations throughout history...which, coincidentally, does not list reparations for slavery:
https://www.mtholyoke.edu/~kmporter/historyreparations.htm

Since were going political on the basketball board, just like liberals, conservatives are frauds too. Claim to be for smaller government, love to spend trillions on the military. Love deficit spending. Claim the poor military was depleted after the Obama years after only over $4 trillion dollars in 8 years. Truth is neither have principles, just ignorant sheep who are locked into their tribal politics.

I wasn't even talking about politicians, but liberal millionaires/celebs who claim they wouldn't mind paying more in taxes, but of course pay the minimum they can. They can give as much money to the govt to waste as they wish, but of course they don't. They give lip service to let everyone know they are "with it".

That said, I don't disagree with you about both parties spending money with no conscience......no term limits will do that.....appease everyone I can, so I will continue to get elected and live the good life.

Again, they're intellectually dishonest. They're overly simplistic and twisted to the point of absurdity. No one thinks standardized testing is racist.

Some believe that the construction of the test, the phrasing, the material, the format, etc. is geared more toward what is familiar and taught to a particular section of students and therefore sometimes yields inaccurate results.

But that's a complex, nuanced discussion that isn't going to go anywhere on the internet with someone who boils it down to "standardized tests are racist." It's the converse of what Carter's mom tried to do. One bothers you, one is "factual."

Just not the time or place for it. You guys have fun until it gets locked or moved.
Gonzo, I don't remember the last time we disagreed, but you're way off here.

As a centrist who loves to go after conservatives just as much as the left, I'm completely baffled by your denial that there is a modest sized but deafening minority that possesses the singular talent of extracting racism from absolutely anything, and standardized testing is so, so far from being the silliest example.

The nuance you're attributing to said minority is just vastly misplaced. The kind of people behind the Yale/Berkeley/Evergreen/Middlebury/Google/etc incidents are not looking for dialogue, and in fact many have begun to advance such helpful discussions as "what if we curbed the first amendment just a tad?"

And neither is it the case that they are ignorable due to their numbers; they boast a daunting track record when going up against institutions of higher learning and the PR departments of large corporations, both of which wield massive influence in our broader society.

I sincerely appreciate your instinct to break up the circle-you-know-what on RR, and if you were fighting the claim that "most liberals think standardized testing is racist", i'd be right there with you. But I think your contrarian bone put you out on a ledge in this case, and the footing is not very stable.

Reactions: Mojocat
Just to make you more aware regarding my first response to you....

Reparations to Japanese-Americans:

Reparations to Holocaust survivors:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...7bbd53d2b5d_story.html?utm_term=.5953e14f3491

Reparations to Native Americans:
http://www.prrac.org/full_text.php? text_id=649&item_id=6623&newsletter_id=17

And this handy dandy chart that summarizes reparations throughout history...which, coincidentally, does not list reparations for slavery:
https://www.mtholyoke.edu/~kmporter/historyreparations.htm

So you have no idea how much to pay, for how long (I mean there will be millions more black people who will be born in the coming years...do we exclude them? Or is the payment never ending?

It seems I have given this much more thought than you since you only reference articles that other liberals have written.

But go ahead and criticize me for asking some questions in which you continue not to answer.

I wasn't even talking about politicians, but liberal millionaires/celebs who claim they wouldn't mind paying more in taxes, but of course pay the minimum they can. They can give as much money to the govt to waste as they wish, but of course they don't. They give lip service to let everyone know they are "with it".

BECAUSE THERE ARE NO CHANGES MADE TO DIRECT THE EXTRA TAX DOLLARS TO THE APPROPRIATE PLACES.

I give to charities that attempt to eradicate a problem and assist those in need. I don't just throw my dollars on the street and hope it lands in a homeless person's hand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT