ADVERTISEMENT

Wendell Carter Jr.'s Mother compares NCAA to Slavery

I mean, when you take the bling and bells and whistles away from almost ANYTHING it's going to look like crap. I'm all for athletes getting compensated for stuff like memorabilia and stuff but slavery? Come on now.

The kids that make the schools the money are usually going to the nicer schools with the nicest EVERYTHING. They get more high end brand new basketball shoes than you can count. Get to stay in campus housing for athletes. Get free education, in a lot of instances for life (which can be a ton depending on the school, like 50k a year minimum) as well as get ridiculous exposure they wouldnt get overseas or at a smaller lesser known school while also getting the best of the best in their respective fields to develop them as players AND young men, FOR FREE.

The NCAA is flawed, but to chalk up our locker room and training facilities, along with our free edcuation to go with guys like Payne, Cal, Robic etc dedicating every waking hour they can to make you better as just fluff and "bling" to cover up the athletes missuse is a bit of a stretch. Id KILL to get a free education while also working with the elites in development to hone my skills to be a future NBA draft that id never be able to get on my own, let alone for free all the while playing with team mates i consider my brothers aiming for a championship. A lot worse ways to spend your time. You can make almost ANY job look like slavery if you squint hard enough. No paychecks doesn't mean they aren't compensated.

Hyperbole much?? If that is slavery, sign me up to be a slave for UK and improve my chance at becoming a millionaire after I am freed from bondage. Here is a flood for her.....
black-and-white-drip-gif-water-Favim.com-367748.gif

Last edited:
This is the quote at the gist of the article:

"The only other time when labor does not get paid but yet someone else gets profits and the labor is black and the profit is white, is in slavery."

A few thoughts:
  • Black AND white players abide by the same NCAA rules.
  • It seems to me that providing a free education and free room and board and free shoes and assorted swag is a form of payment.
  • If this person does not agree that a free education is a form of payment then I would think she would have been satisfied if her son had received some form of payment BUT had to pay for his education and all things associated with it. I'm good with that.

For a well spoken educated woman that was an ignorant take.
1. No one force anyone to go school

2. They get a full scholarship to include room and board plus coaching and physical development for zero costs.

3. No one makes them to not complete their degree and leave after 1 year.

4. It’s a parents responsibility to prepare their child for life not an educational institution or athletic team.

5. Why not direct this at the NBA who has truly created this

6. Comparing this to slavery is a deep insult to all of the millions of people though history, of all races, who endured slavery.

For a well spoken educated woman that was an ignorant take.
1. No one force anyone to go school

2. They get a full scholarship to include room and board plus coaching and physical development for zero costs.

3. No one makes them to not complete their degree and leave after 1 year.

4. It’s a parents responsibility to prepare their child for life not an educational institution or athletic team.

5. Why not direct this at the NBA who has truly created this

6. Comparing this to slavery is a deep insult to all of the millions of people though history, of all races, who endured slavery.
She's educated????

Probably one of those "diversity" degrees these so-called universities print up nowadays...

I'm pretty sure Duke and any other school would have been more than fine keeping Carter for four years to properly earn his degree..

The gall of these near-sighted me-first parents.. Your son just took everything they could from a school to better their professional career and they did the bare minimum (staying 1 year) to get it. $50k (minus $15k in room and food) for a Rockstar experience working with a top5 coach and getting better development than almost anywhere else in the game... He'll be drafted top10 and is guaranteed to make close to $10,000,000.

Mad about the system making a profit when your son is about to make millions to play a game that most poor people... african-american poor people.. can't afford to see. Real nice.

The offer of a college scholarship to an elite university, and a chance to be treated like a god on campus, is something most people can only dream about. And she thinks it's like slavery.

If you don't want it, I believe you're entitled to say no to that scholarship offer, Ms. Carter. Did slaves have the same option?

Last edited:
This is the same person that claimed this happened....

The mother of Duke freshman Wendell Carter Jr. said she was verbally abused by a Rhode Island fan and forced to switch seats during Duke’s second-round NCAA tournament win over the Rams on Saturday.

Carter spoke to a local Raleigh-Durham reporter at halftime, and said the Rhode Island fan called her a “b—-.”

“Nobody wants to be called a name like that,” she said in the interview with ABC 11’s Bridget Condon. “Especially when it’s a white guy, and I’m black.”

Duke forward Marvin Bagley got called for a charge early in the game, and Carter, according to her version of the events, reacted by saying, “C’mon ref, that wasn’t a charge.”

One of the Rhode Island fans then looked at her and said, “Yes it was, b—-,” she claims.

Last edited:
This is the same person that claimed this happened....

The mother of Duke freshman Wendell Carter Jr. said she was verbally abused by a Rhode Island fan and forced to switch seats during Duke’s second-round NCAA tournament win over the Rams on Saturday.

Carter spoke to a local Raleigh-Durham reporter at halftime, and said the Rhode Island fan called her a “b—-.”

“Nobody wants to be called a name like that,” she said in the interview with ABC 11’s Bridget Condon. “Especially when it’s a white guy, and I’m black.”

Duke forward Marvin Bagley got called for a charge early in the game, and Carter, according to her version of the events, reacted by saying, “C’mon ref, that wasn’t a charge.”

One of the Rhode Island fans then looked at her and said, “Yes it was, b—-,” she claims.
Ah the old disputed call. Only happens to black ladies

Ah the old disputed call. Only happens to black ladies

WOW @ that story. Talk about pulling the race card.

And Duke really seems to have some problems with parents in recent years. 40 top25 recruits have gone to Kentucky, being enslaved by the same exact system, vying for playing time.. and not really a peep from a single parent, aside from maybe Orton's IIRC.

Hard to say what exactly.. I mean for sure it's part Coach K.. that much we know from Semi's families recent article.. He's clearly selling something during recruitment and not delivering later.. But these parents don't seem much better.

It's almost like POS coaches and trophy parents were meant for each other.

ADVERTISEMENT