ADVERTISEMENT

Welp, I reckon he ain't leaving

Cawood86

All-American
Feb 20, 2005
How gross this is. I didn't trust Barnhart. If this really shakes out that Cal is staying. Barnhart is crushing the fanbase.

I sure ain't listening to Cal run his yap. Whatever he says, none of it will happen or be true. Gross day for UK fans.

I feel like it’s probably best. If he does the same next year I bet it’s different but right now not many options there and Mitch probably wants to give him a year with that new NIL thing. I’ll take 1 more year instead of Drew. I’d be willing to bet it’s do better or do it elsewhere next season and hopefully some better realistic options out there

I'm holding out hope that the decision has either not been made, or not yet communicated, to let him go. Given what we've heard, it sounds like they aren't meeting until TOMORROW, so I'd expect the usual moron cocky arrogant Calipari at his show today.

Of course, he has us by the balls. I almost wonder now if he's been throwing these games because he's ready to quit, but if he quits, he loses that buyout. So he's purposely throwing games, but not quite enough to look obvious, in hopes that someone fires him and pays him off. Then he can laugh all the way to the bank and retire with another $30m+ and not have to coach another game.

I feel like it’s probably best. If he does the same next year I bet it’s different but right now not many options there and Mitch probably wants to give him a year with that new NIL thing. I’ll take 1 more year instead of Drew. I’d be willing to bet it’s do better or do it elsewhere next season and hopefully some better realistic options out there
There are more coaching options now, than there will be next year.

What?

Literally ANY coach in the country who takes UK to a final four once a decade is a better option...

How many coaches out there do you think could do that? Lots? Yeah, I agree, LOTS of coaches out there could make a final four once every ten years.

So, false, there are plenty of better options.

I'm holding out hope that the decision has either not been made, or not yet communicated, to let him go. Given what we've heard, it sounds like they aren't meeting until TOMORROW, so I'd expect the usual moron cocky arrogant Calipari at his show today.

Of course, he has us by the balls. I almost wonder now if he's been throwing these games because he's ready to quit, but if he quits, he loses that buyout. So he's purposely throwing games, but not quite enough to look obvious, in hopes that someone fires him and pays him off. Then he can laugh all the way to the bank and retire with another $30m+ and not have to coach another game.
Don't know if I'd go that far, but he's a dead man walking, Mitch friggin' allowed it to continue, and it will only become more toxic.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Did anyone really expect Cal to say ‘I think I’m going to get fired and it was nice to know you ‘on that show? C’mon. Elzy was saying the same things in the media after the SEC tournament.

JFC, the very definition of insanity

How do we know anything other than what he said , which is what anyone would say at this juncture

What?

Literally ANY coach in the country who takes UK to a final four once a decade is a better option...

How many coaches out there do you think could do that? Lots? Yeah, I agree, LOTS of coaches out there could make a final four once every ten years.

So, false, there are plenty of better options.
We can absolutely agree to disagree. I don’t wanna end up with another Billy G and I see more of those out there than I do home runs right now. I want to see a change too but I don’t trust Mitch at all. Scott Drew is not a better option, it’s exactly the same without the recruiting

And it will give Mitch a year to properly vet and choose the RIGHT person to replace Cal. I’m ok with the approach.

And it will give Mitch a year to properly vet and choose the RIGHT person to replace Cal. I’m ok with the approach.
That’s exactly what I’m hoping for. Put the feelers out to the big dogs and reel one in when it’s time.

You’d rather have 2-3 years of Scott drew, mark pope or Shaka smart over 1 year of Cal then find someone else?
Yes! Absolutely I would. I was here long before you or Cal and I’ll be here long after. I sat in the stands and watched the Baron coach Kentucky basketball, and let me tell, this fat greasy used car salesman doesn’t coach nor care about Kentucky basketball

Yes! Absolutely I would. I was here long before you or Cal and I’ll be here long after. I sat in the stands and watched the Baron coach Kentucky basketball, and let me tell, this fat greasy used car salesman doesn’t coach nor care about Kentucky basketball
Did you just assume my age? I’m kidding. You’re definitely older than me. Not sure what that has to do with it though. I’m talking about taking a year to get the right hire instead of jumping into another Billy G situation. I’m patient and I just don’t see it happening this year

We can absolutely agree to disagree. I don’t wanna end up with another Billy G and I see more of those out there than I do home runs right now. I want to see a change too but I don’t trust Mitch at all. Scott Drew is not a better option, it’s exactly the same without the recruiting
Billy is the only guy who didn't achieve any type of success. Sutton had them in the elite 8 at least.

Rupp -no explanation needed
Hall- Final Fours in 75,78,84 - runner-up 75, title in 78
Sutton- Elite 8 in 86
Pitino- Final Fours 93, 96, 97- runner-up 97, title in 96
Tubby- 98 National Championship, three Elite 8s
Billy- slept with Alex Legion's girlfriend, DUIs
Cal- Four Final Fours, one runner-up, one national title

The odds are they're going to find someone who will have success.

We have Billy G...

Right now.

TF are you talking about? Have you been watching the past five seasons? These teams have accomplished nothing more than any of those Billy G teams.

We have Billy G...

Right now.

TF are you talking about? Have you been watching the past five seasons? These teams have accomplished nothing more than any of those Billy G teams.
It’s extremely possible to have a conversation without anger lol. It’s passing you by so I’ll wait til later to explain what I’m saying

Me too.

I have a slim ray of hope that he went on that show and said what he said because they hadn't had the conversation yet. Maybe he still leaves yet.

Something came up on KSR yesterday that could play into Mitch's decision. I was only halfway listening so didn't get all the details. Something about having to do with the first 3 rows of I assume Kroger field (I didn't catch all of it). It was that Mitch has to go to a number of the biggest donors, corporate mainly, and ask for a huge one-time contribution this spring. If true, and if the majority of these donors want Cal gone, this could have an impact on the decision. I know that's a lot of if's and assumptions but its something. Also illustrates the complexity of this decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: kywildcat41086
Ah. So you want one more year of Cal sucking and then Drew?

Kentucky deserves this crap, why are so many fans enabling this used car salesman? Nobody around the program apparently likes him, he's arrogant jerk! This is Barnhart's chance to get rid of a big thorn in his side, if he brings him back he loses what little credibility he still has!

It’s extremely possible to have a conversation without anger lol. It’s passing you by so I’ll wait til later to explain what I’m saying
The only thing I'm angry about is the fact that this program has been run into the ground.

There is very little the state is known for, but UK basketball was one of them...

Now the state is known for UK basketball, but as the butt of a joke instead of something prestigious.

There isn't a single person out there that could deny UK has become a laughingstock.

I am happy that you are willing to accept that, but I'd rather we get back playing ball the old way... Back when the program won games that mattered.

Different strokes for different folks.

Something came up on KSR yesterday that could play into Mitch's decision. I was only halfway listening so didn't get all the details. Something about having to do with the first 3 rows of I assume Kroger field (I didn't catch all of it). It was that Mitch has to go to a number of the biggest donors, corporate mainly, and ask for a huge one-time contribution this spring. If true, and if the majority of these donors want Cal gone, this could have an impact on the decision. I know that's a lot of if's and assumptions but its something. Also illustrates the complexity of this decision.

From what I heard (from Eastern KY donors - the big ones) was that in the spat between Stoops and Cal, the donors sided with Stoops, but MB sided with Cal.

Have to think, if true, the budget next year is going to get awfully tight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT