ADVERTISEMENT

Well, the G-League just made the decisions for Carey and Wiseman

Tyblue22

Senior
Dec 23, 2003
Since the G-League just announced the new $125,000 select path contracts that will start next summer its now safe to say that the recruitment of Carey, Wiseman and others is basically over. These guys will be the first class to be offered these contracts. And you can guarantee that since this is a "selection process of certain top players only", Carey and Wisemans names will be at the top of this list. Now what? How much time do college coaches continue to put into these guys? There is about a 90% chance that these 2 will now go to the G-League in my opinion. wow.
thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa

Reactions: thepip
Im not sure this will affect many of the top recruits. The recruits I believe it to affect is the ones who may not have the grades and or have potentially lost their "Amateur" status already. Like above, College coaches (ala Cal) can sell coaching, competition, branding, being on tv every week, etc.

also, just so Im clear, Im not agreeing with or support this in any way. But I bet it affects more than you think. Because if you read the article, they can also go ahead and sign endorsement deals (shoe money etc) and make money off their likeness. Otherwise, the $125,000 is simply their salary. But they immediately can sign with Nike for $125 million. Now we know why Cal opened the door to reclassing top juniors recently. Because he will still get the elite players, but they will be reclassed juniors, skiping their senior year in high school. Where the immediate effect comes in is this years senior class, i.e. Carey, Wiseman, etc.

I think you overestimate the market power most of these players have. Zion might be one of the few high school players that would command a big contract from Nike or Adidas out of highschool. The general public/casual fans still have little idea who Wiseman or Carey even are.
Exactly. Ain’t nobody buying a James Wiseman jersey when the name on the front says Sioux Falls Skyforce.

Honestly I think the people this will appeal to the most are the top 20ish kids with eligibility or academic concerns or whose families are in immediate need of financial help. They won’t have to move overseas and they’ll be making 6 figures right away.

I think you overestimate the market power most of these players have. Zion might be one of the few high school players that would command a big contract from Nike or Adidas out of highschool. The general public/casual fans still have little idea who Wiseman or Carey even are.

How do you reconcile that with the fact that Adidas was willing to pay $100K for a player like Bowen?

Since the G-League just announced the new $125,000 select path contracts that will start next summer its now safe to say that the recruitment of Carey, Wiseman and others is basically over. These guys will be the first class to be offered these contracts. And you can guarantee that since this is a "selection process of certain top players only", Carey and Wisemans names will be at the top of this list. Now what? How much time do college coaches continue to put into these guys? There is about a 90% chance that these 2 will now go to the G-League in my opinion. wow.
thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa

I disagree. I think most kids would rather go to a top notch school for a year.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
How do you reconcile that with the fact that Adidas was willing to pay $100K for a player like Bowen?

That money isn’t used for an endorsement deal. That money is used as a bet to try and capitalize on the marketing growth that player will experience going to Kansas or Louisville. Adidas, in that case, would be banking on the player being worth millions from a marketing standpoint once they got drafted, because the deal would be MUCH more lucrative for them afterwards, and they would then have the upper hand in landing them. A player in the G-League will never experience that market growth.

Reactions: Aike
Call me crazy, but I think this helps us more than anything.

What I mean is that this will likely entice elite players that don't have a lot of maturity or intelligence (both with their parents and themselves) that are looking for a quick payday out of high school. Kids with a lot of hangers-on and handlers with their hands out that want to cash in immediately. Kids that don't have the guidance to understand that a short-term gain at the expense of a long career with a lucrative brand is not a good business decision.

In other words, the kids that Cal doesn't typically recruit heavily. Players like Josh Shelby, Malik Newman, Shabazz Muhammad, Lance Stephenson, etc.

I just don't think the elite players we get would turn down a year under one of the best coaches in the game, NBA level facilities, strength programs, nutrition, etc. for a quick payday. Players with a firm family foundation and solid guidance from those around them.

KAT, Booker, MKG, Knight, Lyles, etc...I still think kids like that will go to school, and those are the kids we tend to recruit and get.

I dunno guys. The OP is probably correct. $125K for a couple months work and----- all the while you can negotiate with an agent for the NEXT season which will be in the league. That is where they will start to immediately negotiate for the rest of the endorsements etc.... I think this is the end of the 1nDone with most of the top players. None of that can be done at an NCAA school while you are risking injury.

Without the restrictions of the NCAA's amateurism rules, players will also be free to hire agents, profit off their likenesses and pursue marketing deals from sneaker companies and the like, which could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in endorsement opportunities to top prospects.

We will eat first however with the rest.....

Reactions: awf
That money isn’t used for an endorsement deal. That money is used as a bet to try and capitalize on the marketing growth that player will experience going to Kansas or Louisville. Adidas, in that case, would be banking on the player being worth millions from a marketing standpoint once they got drafted, because the deal would be MUCH more lucrative for them afterwards, and they would then have the upper hand in landing them. A player in the G-League will never experience that market growth.

We are going to see the power of the college brands when the shoe companies and handlers tell these top prospects to pass up a sure six figures (or even seven figures, in extreme cases) to spend a year at UK, Duke, or Kansas.

lol, guys....

1) Addidas is handing out $100,000 to high schoolers so that they attend an addidas school, or "might" sign with addidas when they turn pro.

2) The AVERAGE shoe deal in the NBA is $250,000. Thats the average
guys like Hamidoe Diallo is less, but its still upwards of $100,000 on top of your salary

3) Only the top the guys get the "signature" deals like the Kobe's, Jordans, Curry, etc. Average guys get Merchandise deals where they get paid, but also get tons of merchandise to give to friends, family (called Merch Deals)

4) The lottery pick talents get upwards of $500,000 annually, and that's the type of players we recruit at UK. Lottery picks.

5) So forget the guys rated 20 to 40 coming out of high school. We're talking about the top 10 guys now. Guys like Carey and Wiseman. (formerly guys like Wall, Cousins, Davis). These are the guys we recruit, we sign, and Carey and Wiseman are 'next'.

6) Also remember this.....you can make money for other endorsements off of your 'likeness', not just shoes.

Examples:
Anthony Davis makes $11,000,000 a YEAR off of endorsements. Did you know he has endorsement contract with: Saks Inc., ExxonMobil, Foot Locker, Nike, Red Bull ??

John wall makes $5,000,000 for endorsing New Era and Addidas

James Harden?? $200,000,000 = Addidas

Commercials for car lots, Sleep outfitters, icy hot, whatever. If you are a top high schooler and are next in line to be a lottery pick less than a year later, companies will line up to pay you while you are young and try to lock you into long term contracts for less money before you become big time. But that "less money" could be millions.

How about Dennis Smith jr...... had to think about it for a minute didnt you? he is not Lebron or Kobe, click this link to see how much his show deal is worth....its $6,000,000 for 3 years.
https://sports.yahoo.com/dennis-smi...ookie-sign-lucrative-shoe-deal-171027463.html

Here is an early list of last years rookies...(note: all of them have signed now)
https://hoopshype.com/2017/06/21/rookie-shoe-deal-nike-adidas-2017-nba-draft/

Remember, we are talking about the top guys, and that's who UK, Duke, Kansas, UNC sign. Forget the $125,000. Its the endorsement deals that will hook them. And they don't have to go to China to get them.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueRattie
125k doesn't build your brand like going to a blue blood. Having a massive fan based gives you endorsement opportunities once you go pro that this doesn't.
it also doesn’t give a lifetime scholarship

Don't think 125 k will move the needle that far toward the G league.
We will find out soon enough. The biggest problem is that an agent now can loan $200K to a Carey caliber prospect and say take the $125K salary for a year then repay the loan when you are in the NBA. Of course the terms are all drawn up in an ‘agent friendly’ contract.

Last edited:
well the way I see it, most of the elite players want money and exposure. now at a top school the money will come after 6 months at school when the draft hits, they will be on tv for everyone to see every week, where as the g league might have one game a week televised. not much exposure for the kid to say hey look how I'm doing and how much i have improved versus the college scene where they will be plastered all over tv and truly showcase their skills 2 to 3 times a week. anyway I don't think it's going to hurt the cats a bit. the rule is always the big dogs eat 1st and everybody else must wait. and it will still hold true

It has little to do with the “marketing growth” during college, whatever that means.

Shoe deals are fairly standard and work kind of like comps when a realtor is figuring out what to list a house for. The biggest factors in determining the value of a deal, if we’re talking about rookies without deals, are draft position, market and player position (I.e., guard vs center).

That’s why an international guard without a deal who’s drafted 10th by LA would get basically the same deal as a guard from UK or Duke also drafted 10th by LA.

More importantly, players’ brands are built based on NBA performance. The impact of college on building a player’s brand is massively overstated.

lol, guys....

1) Addidas is handing out $100,000 to high schoolers so that they attend an addidas school, or "might" sign with addidas when they turn pro.

2) The AVERAGE shoe deal in the NBA is $250,000. Thats the average
guys like Hamidoe Diallo is less, but its still upwards of $100,000 on top of your salary

3) Only the top the guys get the "signature" deals (called Merch Deals) , like the Kobe's, Jordans, Curry, etc.

4) The lottery pick talents get upwards of $500,000 annually, and that's the type of players we recruit at UK. Lottery picks.

5) So forget the guys rated 20 to 40 coming out of high school. We're talking about the top 10 guys now. Guys like Carey and Wiseman. (formerly guys like Wall, Cousins, Davis). These are the guys we recruit, we sign, and Carey and Wiseman are 'next'.

6) Also remember this.....you can make money for other endorsements off of your 'likeness', not just shoes.

Examples:
Anthony Davis makes $11,000,000 a YEAR off of endorsements. Did you know he has endorsement contract with: Saks Inc., ExxonMobil, Foot Locker, Nike, Red Bull ??

John wall makes $5,000,000 for endorsing New Era and Addidas

James Harden?? $200,000,000 = Addidas

Commercials for car lots, Sleep outfitters, icy hot, whatever. If you are a top high schooler and are next in line to be a lottery pick less than a year later, companies will line up to pay you while you are young and try to lock you into long term contracts for less money before you become big time. But that "less money" could be millions.

How about Dennis Smith jr...... had to think about it for a minute didnt you? he is not Lebron or Kobe, click this link to see how much his show deal is worth....its $6,000,000 for 3 years.
https://sports.yahoo.com/dennis-smi...ookie-sign-lucrative-shoe-deal-171027463.html

Here is an early list of last years rookies...(note: all of them have signed now)
https://hoopshype.com/2017/06/21/rookie-shoe-deal-nike-adidas-2017-nba-draft/

Remember, we are talking about the top guys, and that's who UK, Duke, Kansas, UNC sign. Forget the $125,000. Its the endorsement deals that will hook them. And they don't have to go to China to get them.

“Merch” deals aren’t the top deals. Merch deals are merchandise only.

Yes, elite prospects usually sign pretty good size cash deals. But a lot of the value of those deals depends on who drafts you.

I would say there are very few players any given year that shoe companies will bank huge money on a year before they know where they will end up. Especially with the prospect that they won’t get much exposure over the next year. It will be interesting.

KSR had a good review stating that top players would make a better decision heading to school to create their brand, build physical and mental strength, stay in 1st class facilities, play on national TV and showcase personality. Most elite one-and-dones can pass on the $125k as I would not expect huge endorsement deals in their G-League career. If you were KAT, Wall or AD, which route would you have taken?

It has little to do with the “marketing growth” during college, whatever that means.

Shoe deals are fairly standard and work kind of like comps when a realtor is figuring out what to list a house for. The biggest factors in determining the value of a deal, if we’re talking about rookies without deals, are draft position, market and player position (I.e., guard vs center).

That’s why an international guard without a deal who’s drafted 10th by LA would get basically the same deal as a guard from UK or Duke also drafted 10th by LA.

More importantly, players’ brands are built based on NBA performance. The impact of college on building a player’s brand is massively overstated.

I suspect that college affiliation may have more impact on that first contract than you think. I would love to see real numbers comparing the numbers for the mythical Euro drafted 10th vs. a Cat or Dukie.

It isn’t always easy to dig out the data on the contracts of less than superstar level players.

I agree that how you play in the league (as well as where) has much more impact on future contracts than what you did in college.

Reactions: jrpross
“Merch” deals aren’t the top deals. Merch deals are merchandise only.

Yes, elite prospects usually sign pretty good size cash deals. But a lot of the value of those deals depends on who drafts you.

I would say there are very few players any given year that shoe companies will bank huge money on a year before they know where they will end up. Especially with the prospect that they won’t get much exposure over the next year. It will be interesting.

Exactly, only difference this year is Puma entering the marketing and hedging their bets on some younger players. Nike/Addidas/UA will usually wait and see until offering large shoe deals.

Reactions: Aike
You make it seem as if tons of high school graduates can go to make “millions” overseas.You are being dramatic and exaggeratedly

This...if you look at the numbers, very few players make that kind of money in those leagues, and there is so much shady sh*t that goes on a lot of players end up getting much less than what their overseas contract says. Trust me, if there were millions to be made, HS players would already be going that route...i think there have been 2 instances recently (Mudiay and B. Jennings) and that's because neither would have been eligible.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankUnderwood
125k doesn't build your brand like going to a blue blood. Having a massive fan based gives you endorsement opportunities once you go pro that this doesn't.
125k plus a shoe deal will make many reconsider going to any college. Particularly if it's only for a year. If you have a family that's struggling financially as many of these kids do..then you'll have to strongly consider your options. Has nothing to do with building your brand in 6-8 mos time.

Postive - No limits on practice time, so one could argue they could develop faster to prepare for the NBA.
Negative - No campus full of coeds where you are a superstar, future-NBA basketball player. Probably miss out on the best year of your life

thoughts?

Then Penny’s career at Memphis is going to last about two seasons when he doesn’t get a single recurit next year and has to coach scrubs.

thoughts?

Duke KU, say "pocket-change"

NCAA is a stupidly blind organization that stands on phony principals. These kids shold be free to come to a school to STUDY basketball, to practice more, year round, take classes on nutrition, working out, you name it. Why is it any different than a person studying the freaking Tuba....and they should be able to sign endoresement deals, they should be able to profit on their ability just Ike the Tuba player could get paid playing at the local bar in a jazz band at a night gig. It is all hpocrital based on the way sports first started as more of a side gig while in college. Now since 100s of millions can be earned, the NCAA needs to realize that these kids are studying a career. And guess what, not everyone ends up being successful in what they study!

THe real issue, is that the NCAA is truly taking advantage of these kids, they know it and hide behind these outdated “morals” and giving up any control will lose millionis if not billions. But they will take down college athletics if they can by not evolving. Kind of like how Sears just went belly up....it didn’t change and it created the first “on line” like ordering through its catalog, it had the future right there but didn’t change and now game over....

Colleges need to wrestle away the Tournament and take control of Basketball like they have with Football. The tournment is the holy cow for the NCAA. If College Football wasn’t in so much control of its own destiny then the NFL would be looking to see how it could sink its teeth into those revenue streams too!!!!!

Reactions: Tyblue22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT