ADVERTISEMENT

Well, the G-League just made the decisions for Carey and Wiseman

Yes, they could argue that about development but all the time in the world wont help if you dont have the right person doing the coaching of these players. How many great coaches go from college to the GL? How many GL coaches go on to the NBA or even become college coaches? NONE! There is a reason for that.....cause the GL doesnt have great coaches. Cal is the best at developing talent the fastest of any coach in the business. Period! He's proven it over and over again. The pros of going to the GL is only the money, that's it. Not coaching, not lifestyle, not development, not exposure, not branding.......nothing but the money. The risks FAR outweigh the pros of going to the GL. The risk of being exposed by veteran grown men desperate to hold onto a career is enough for most of them to head to college. It's a really big risk from these kids. Unless the family really needs the money, I really dont think this rule is going to have much effect of anything.
So your saying there won't be enough takers(players) for the allotted 125K "elite" G league contracts.?
The NBA is using the term elite here meaning there not giving out 125K contracts to guys like Hawkins, Willis or Baker. I seriously doubt they would have taken Willie out of HS at 125K.
Guarantee you they wouldn't have taken Ulis or Travis out of HS for lack of upside.
This G league deal is not some kind of charity that some marginal kid with financial problems can take advantage of. This is strictly an alternate route for one and done players.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Nobody's trying to be an asshole, its just debating, And guess what fatboy, its a message board, the whole point is to debate. News flash, most of us dont agree, So either bring a debatable point, or shut your mouth. Because I am, like a lot of people who argue with you on here constantly are tired of you dropping crap in the floor and walking out. Make a point! or shut your lip. Tony Soprano is dead.

How many total don't agree to get 'most'?

The G-League is like the Euro League, except worse.

I enjoyed a few years back when people, like OP, probably panicked about HS kids jumping ship for the Euro League because of money. I guess we're going to get the same "results" with the G-League.

Hilarious and useless.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
There are 27 teams in the G league:
image-2.png

People lose their crap over this stuff and think there's going to be a dearth of great incoming talent to CBB each season if the top guys go to the G League.

How many roster spots do you think are going to clear up each season on those teams? They are holding places for NBA reserves. Its part of the reason why there are only 2 rounds in the NBA draft, nowhere to put guys.

On top of the lack of openings for potential $125K signings, NBA franchises actually have to deem guys worth that investment to even free up a spot for a year anyway.

You may lose a few solid guys to this, but you also are probably going to lose a lot more of the guys who go to school because they "have" to and don't actually want to be there, and to that I say good.

All in all, this is a step in the right direction. Hockey and baseball have established minor league systems, the NBA needs to step it up and bolster their minor league system. People watch college sports because they like collegiate sports. Minor league baseball doesn't draw viewers from college baseball. Nor does minor league hockey in the North. Michigan, Minnesota, Maine, etc....those place are as diehard about college hockey as Mississippi State, LSU, Arkansas etc are about college baseball. I doubt many if any on here listen to the Legends games on the radio, but I'd bet most of us tune in for the UK baseball games on the SECN. Same deal with college baseball and hockey players being allowed to have agents.

This whole NBA/College debate is ridiculous because I just outlined, the solutions are already in place and in practice in other Big 4 sports.

So your saying there won't be enough takers(players) for the allotted 125K "elite" G league contracts.?
The NBA is using the term elite here meaning there not giving out 125K contracts to guys like Hawkins, Willis or Baker. I seriously doubt they would have taken Willie out of HS at 125K.
Guarantee you they wouldn't have taken Ulis or Travis out of HS for lack of upside.
This G league deal is not some kind of charity that some marginal kid with financial problems can take advantage of. This is strictly an alternate route for one and done players.

Who said anything about Willis, Hawkins, Ulis, or any other specific player? Of course they wouldn't have taken Hawkins or Willis, possibly Travis though as he was a 5 star player. They just said "possible" OADs, not "just the top 5 players in the class". And of course they're going to call it elite, what else would they call it? "SO-SO GL program" ?

We dont know exactly how far that net spreads. I'd say it will depend on how many players actually decide to take this route with the first spots obviously going to the best players if they want it. But like I said, I dont think it will be that big a deal. It's a huge risk with very minimal gains outside of the money.

In my opinion, it will be the kids with financial issues and qualification issues that go this route. Maybe a few more but I dont think many will go this route. I listed the pros and cons in an earlier post and college blue bloods offer so much more in terms of coaching, exposure, championships, development, branding, etc. The option to go pro in Europe has always been there and how many actually go that route? Not many obviously and I think this will be the same. It's just a risk vs reward scenario. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

also, just so Im clear, Im not agreeing with or support this in any way. But I bet it affects more than you think. Because if you read the article, they can also go ahead and sign endorsement deals (shoe money etc) and make money off their likeness. Otherwise, the $125,000 is simply their salary. But they immediately can sign with Nike for $125 million. Now we know why Cal opened the door to reclassing top juniors recently. Because he will still get the elite players, but they will be reclassed juniors, skiping their senior year in high school. Where the immediate effect comes in is this years senior class, i.e. Carey, Wiseman, etc.
They can go the the G league and sign endorsement deals right away now. None of them do and an extra $50k isnt going to change that.

They can go the the G league and sign endorsement deals right away. None of them do and an extra $50k isnt going to change that.

None of them do now, correct. Because those are the mostly unknown players that are going to the G-League. The guys that aren't good enough to go to the NBA. The G-League season runs from November 2 though March. And none of the big name guys play there. Some people are confusing the G-League with the summer league. The G-League doesn't have lottery caliber players. But with this change, if players go, the G-League will have lottery caliber players for the 1st time. And "those" guys will get deals.

Sorry, that is just delusional. NBA fans don’t give a crap what school a player went to for 1 year. A brand is created by how you do in the NBA. Most NBA fans couldn’t tell you Durant went to Texas.

This will be a good option for those who “really” need the money and can’t wait 1 year, or those who have no business (academically) at a college.

A brand foundation can most certainly be built on the college level. Just look at all the players who sign endorsements before ever playing an NBA game. That proves the point right there.

None of them do now, correct. Because those are the mostly unknown players that are going to the G-League. The guys that aren't good enough to go to the NBA. The G-League season runs from November 2 though March. And none of the big name guys play there. Some people are confusing the G-League with the summer league. The G-League doesn't have lottery caliber players. But with this change, if players go, the G-League will have lottery caliber players for the 1st time. And "those" guys will get deals.
Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett, and several other top prospects could've gone to the G League this year. They could've made $75k and signed endorsement deals but they all chose to go to college. Do you really think and extra $50 will cause guys to suddenly start going to the the G League?

The G League has guys like 26 year old full grown man Terrence Jones who is hungry and desperate to get back to the NBA. 26 year old Terrence Jones will destroy HS kids like Bazley who come in and try to take his job. That's the reason he chose to skip the G League all together and workout on his own, he would get exposed and abused in that league.

Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett, and several other top prospects could've gone to the G League this year. They could've made $75k and signed endorsement deals but they all chose to go to college. Do you really think and extra $50 will cause guys to suddenly start going to the the G League?

The G League has guys like 26 year old full grown man Terrence Jones who is hungry and desperate to get back to the NBA. 26 year old Terrence Jones will destroy HS kids like Bazley who come in and try to take his job. That's the reason he chose to skip the G League all together and workout on his own, he would get exposed and abused in that league.
Where did you get 75K. I know they would not have been eligible to be called up so they would have made base. Right?

How do you reconcile that with the fact that Adidas was willing to pay $100K for a player like Bowen?

Reconcile it by saying that Adidas was paying to keep the Louisville brand relevant as UL and Kansas were the biggest names in their portfolio. They were not concerned as much as signing Bowen after college, they wanted to keep eyes on Louisville who were mostly Adidas gear.

listen to me....stop adding word to my statements. Dozens? NO I didn't say that, I said the top 15 or so. Why do you think the top guys come to college now? Because they HAVE to. And only the best guys will be invited, and of them the top tier will get paid endorsements. And because its new, the NBA will make sure those guys get paid and its successful. So lets see how it plays out. But its going to be successful, and its also just a stepping stone. Because in 2022 the bargain agreement will allow players to enter the actual NBA draft out of high school. What really needs to happen is the NCAA needs to be abolished. Because they are the one's that are holding the players back. If you're son or daughter is a dental student, at UK under scholarship. And a dentist office offers them a job while in school, can they be penalized for taking it? Why is it that the athletes can? Because their profession is a sport?? And by the way, a sport/profession that pays more in 1 year than most professions make in a lifetime. Its going to take a person student/athlete to sue in court for their right to make money off of their abilities. And, big time schools to break away from the NCAA. And might I say, the NCAA is bad, but never worse than under Mark Emmert. Absolute bull Sh!t that someone isn't stepping up to end this. I challenge the SEC to step up and stop this. Or at least reform it under real leadership. They have selective enforcement, and sometime dont enforce at all. What UNC did, and went unpunished, is absolutely unbelievable. And Duke had 2 instances, Kansas had 3! They investigate and hammer UL, hammered UK in the late 80's, tried to hammer UK over Eric Bledsoe and had investigators camped out on UK campus, but did NOTHING to UNC over fake classes? Duke giving diamonds and gold to player, and Kansas, Kansas had insane!!! impermissable benefits and now we have written proof of Head Coach Self cheating, and yet nothing. So lets stop arguing, because we are on the same side. It's time that the NCAA goes. They have enabled the NBA to eliminate college basketball as we now it.

Paragraphs

Reactions: Tyblue22
Reconcile it by saying that Adidas was paying to keep the Louisville brand relevant as UL and Kansas were the biggest names in their portfolio. They were not concerned as much as signing Bowen after college, they wanted to keep eyes on Louisville who were mostly Adidas gear.

I see you’ve not been following the Gatto trial.

Might want to go read the testimony and evidence provided. It demonstrates that you’re completely wrong on why Adidas wanted kids to attend certain schools.

I see you’ve not been following the Gatto trial.

Might want to go read the testimony and evidence provided. It demonstrates that you’re completely wrong on why Adidas wanted kids to attend certain schools.

You are correct sir. I have not read a thing about the trial. Just giving a possible reconciliation agruement.

I tend to be think we will feel it. Not right away, but if some big recruit takes that path and finds success others will follow. This would be a way to be free of the restrictions of “amateur” athletic’s. I quote that because we all know so many are making large sums of money on college sports except the people playing the games.

I don't think they are going to offer very many contracts. They will be the highest paid players in the league. They specified ELITE players for a reason.

Also, top players can sign with an agent and get endorsements deals now but they aren't doing it. I think this deal moves the needle very little.

All the NCAA has to do is partner with shoe companies and others to allow these kids to maintain their amateur status while profiting off their image and they will still go to college most of the time.

Something about an 8 hour hour bus ride to Ft. Wayne IN to play the Mad Ants in front 500 family and friends while staying a Motel 6 has nothing on the exposure, housing (like Wildcat Lodge) dedicates chef and private jet travel at a UK, Duke, UNCheat, etc. Not to mention playing in front 20k, the NCAA tourney, etc.

These dudes can make millions by playing 6 months in China and still choose to go to college. $125k wont move the needle for elite players.
The players still get me re than 125k from colleges and agents. Why god league and take a pay cut.

If Bowen was getting 100k, the top players were certainly getting more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT