ADVERTISEMENT

Well, the G-League just made the decisions for Carey and Wiseman

125k plus a shoe deal will make many reconsider going to any college. Particularly if it's only for a year. If you have a family that's struggling financially as many of these kids do..then you'll have to strongly consider your options. Has nothing to do with building your brand in 6-8 mos time.

So you think someone like say.... Dante Allen is going to get a freaking shoe deal from Nike if he goes to the G league ?

Or a random #24 ranked recruit ? (if anyone does this it’ll be the 15-50 range of high school kids not the top 2)

Reactions: RonEJones
So you think someone like say.... Dante Allen is going to get a freaking shoe deal from Nike if he goes to the G league ?

Or a random #24 ranked recruit ? (if anyone does this it’ll be the 15-50 range of high school kids not the top 2)
Not talking about the Dante Allens but Top 1-5. Keep up.

I suspect that college affiliation may have more impact on that first contract than you think. I would love to see real numbers comparing the numbers for the mythical Euro drafted 10th vs. a Cat or Dukie.

It isn’t always easy to dig out the data on the contracts of less than superstar level players.

I agree that how you play in the league (as well as where) has much more impact on future contracts than what you did in college.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a data set that I can provide. And much of my opinion is from conversations with an agent I’ve crossed paths with a couple of times, so take it for whatever you think it’s worth.

That said, I do think Brandon Jennings and Emmanuel Mudiay provide two interesting examples. Both lost the benefit of “building their brand” in college and neither were hurt in any way when it came to shoe deals.

I believe Jennings had a $1+ million deal after a year in Italy and Mudiay signed a big deal with Under Armor even before playing in China.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aike
125k plus a shoe deal will make many reconsider going to any college. Particularly if it's only for a year. If you have a family that's struggling financially as many of these kids do..then you'll have to strongly consider your options. Has nothing to do with building your brand in 6-8 mos time.

You have to think that all the top guys like Wiseman, Carey or Anthony will be offered some type of upfront compensation from the shoe companies.
Even if it's not an outright endorsement deal, it will add considerably onto the base.,
There's also competing agents, financial advisors and the immediate availability of loans.
Point being there will be a lot more than 125K on the table when decisions are made..
Off the top of my head I'll say Stewart and McDaniels are probably strong candidates.
Hate to say it but worried about Whitney.
Post season all star games will probably have the ability to increase the "package".
Sucks that these decisions will probably go into the summer with some kids.

LOL at the idea this has any effect of the likes of Wiseman or Carey. If anything this helps us like someone else pointed out. This won't effect much of any of the big time recruits unless they can't qualify . 125K isn't even close to enough to mess up your brand you build playing for a big boy in college for 1-2 years among other things.

Reactions: westerncat
Not talking about the Dante Allens but Top 1-5. Keep up.
Actually this has more effect on the Allen's of the world then top 5 players but really it is just for the kids who have no business being in school in the first place. The kid who committed to Cuse and then didn't go last year is a good example.This whole thing will have little effect on the big boys.

Reactions: chroix
1. $125,000 for five months is a ton of money. It's even more if you're poor.

2. The goal here is for the G League to not be like the G League. If they start poaching top players and paying all this money, it's going to be marketed and promoted differently.

All of the "brand building" college provides can happen in the G League if it's on ESPN and has a handful of top high school players and some of the current top draft picks, etc.

3. When there was no one and done rule and high school kids were being drafted high, those guys were signing shoe deals and moving merchandise.

If Cole Anthony plays in the G League for a year, kills it, and is the top pick, he'll be a star and get a ton of endorsement money. Luka Doncic didn't even play in America and he was a star before the season began.

4. Kids can play college basketball and still get $125,000. They've been doing it for years and it isn't going to stop.

Reactions: JDHoss
It has little to do with the “marketing growth” during college, whatever that means.

Shoe deals are fairly standard and work kind of like comps when a realtor is figuring out what to list a house for. The biggest factors in determining the value of a deal, if we’re talking about rookies without deals, are draft position, market and player position (I.e., guard vs center).

That’s why an international guard without a deal who’s drafted 10th by LA would get basically the same deal as a guard from UK or Duke also drafted 10th by LA.

More importantly, players’ brands are built based on NBA performance. The impact of college on building a player’s brand is massively overstated.

It has a lot to do with marketing growth. I don’t know what you don’t understand about that. It’s a kid’s marketability trajectory and how much they are worth from a marketing standpoint at one point in time to the next. The shoe companies are taking a flyer on these kids by giving them the money and funneling them to their respective schools in the hopes they will potentially sign once they go pro.

A player’s brand is built much more than just NBA performance. That is the biggest factor, but when a kid like Zion or Lonzo Ball have 2 million followers on Instagram it means the game has changed a bit.

At the end of the day, if you’re arguing that this will cause some huge paradigm shift, I will agree to disagree. A ton of players aren’t going to suddenly jump at the opportunity to play in the G-League.

Last edited:
lol, guys....

1) Addidas is handing out $100,000 to high schoolers so that they attend an addidas school, or "might" sign with addidas when they turn pro.

2) The AVERAGE shoe deal in the NBA is $250,000. Thats the average
guys like Hamidoe Diallo is less, but its still upwards of $100,000 on top of your salary

3) Only the top the guys get the "signature" deals like the Kobe's, Jordans, Curry, etc. Average guys get Merchandise deals where they get paid, but also get tons of merchandise to give to friends, family (called Merch Deals)

4) The lottery pick talents get upwards of $500,000 annually, and that's the type of players we recruit at UK. Lottery picks.

5) So forget the guys rated 20 to 40 coming out of high school. We're talking about the top 10 guys now. Guys like Carey and Wiseman. (formerly guys like Wall, Cousins, Davis). These are the guys we recruit, we sign, and Carey and Wiseman are 'next'.

6) Also remember this.....you can make money for other endorsements off of your 'likeness', not just shoes.

Examples:
Anthony Davis makes $11,000,000 a YEAR off of endorsements. Did you know he has endorsement contract with: Saks Inc., ExxonMobil, Foot Locker, Nike, Red Bull ??

John wall makes $5,000,000 for endorsing New Era and Addidas

James Harden?? $200,000,000 = Addidas

Commercials for car lots, Sleep outfitters, icy hot, whatever. If you are a top high schooler and are next in line to be a lottery pick less than a year later, companies will line up to pay you while you are young and try to lock you into long term contracts for less money before you become big time. But that "less money" could be millions.

How about Dennis Smith jr...... had to think about it for a minute didnt you? he is not Lebron or Kobe, click this link to see how much his show deal is worth....its $6,000,000 for 3 years.
https://sports.yahoo.com/dennis-smi...ookie-sign-lucrative-shoe-deal-171027463.html

Here is an early list of last years rookies...(note: all of them have signed now)
https://hoopshype.com/2017/06/21/rookie-shoe-deal-nike-adidas-2017-nba-draft/

Remember, we are talking about the top guys, and that's who UK, Duke, Kansas, UNC sign. Forget the $125,000. Its the endorsement deals that will hook them. And they don't have to go to China to get them.

Your entire speal just proved my point, so I’m assuming you don’t understand what I said. I’m talking about the marketability of players that NEVER played in college. It is a whole hell of a lot different for those players. Just look at Brian Bowen and Mitchell Robinson. Virtually no one knows who they are because they didn’t play in college. How much marketability do you think they have right now?

All the players you mentioned above got their initial exposure from college, not the G-League. You’re not going to see a plethora of shoe deals for players while in the damn G-League right away. Maybe a few, at most. Thanks for helping me prove my point though, saved me some work.

So what it boils down to is would a player rather spend a year in college with a pay cut of $125,000? The trade off being much more increased exposure, as well as the benefit of going up against much less talented players, for $125,000. I don’t think you’re going to see this massive paradigm shift. The impact of performing poorly in the G-League, which is more likely, could be much more damning to their overall worth as well.

Last edited:
LOL at the idea this has any effect of the likes of Wiseman or Carey. If anything this helps us like someone else pointed out. This won't effect much of any of the big time recruits unless they can't qualify . 125K isn't even close to enough to mess up your brand you build playing for a big boy in college for 1-2 years among other things.
How many UK players actually build a brand outside the obvious Wall,Davis and KAT?
Willie?
MKG?
Knight?
Bottom line is our guys with a few exceptions are not endorsement magnets.
I just believe when all is said and done there will be a lot more than 125K on the table for someone like Wiseman.
Plus you can't necessarily believe that everything in the NBA press release is 100 percent accurate about the ,"select" g league deal. There could always be other perks.
IMO this will end the super classes like the one at Duke this year.

Actually this has more effect on the Allen's of the world then top 5 players but really it is just for the kids who have no business being in school in the first place. The kid who committed to Cuse and then didn't go last year is a good example.This whole thing will have little effect on the big boys.

Wrong. Could not be further from the truth.

The NBA and G-League have already said they will "invite" players. Meaning they will have their own summer camps to replace the AAU camps. They will have their own combines and they will invite players to come to the G-League. This is not a scenario where random players will just join the G-League because they wont have an offer or a spot. This is geared toward a set number of spots each year. And the G-League will hand out the offers to who THEY want. So lets say its 15 offers. They will offer the top 15 guys they choose. If that happens to be the top 15 ranked guys and they all accept then thats it. If only 10 of them accept an offer then the next 5 offers could go to guys ranked between 15-20. Thats the part to remember, they are going to invite guys. So guys like Allen wont be considered.

Thats why they are calling it "Select Contracts" because they are hiring a program manager who will head a group that will litterally "select" TOP ELITE prospects only, and "offer" them. This will not be a situation where anyone can just decide to enter the G-League and get a contract.

"During the year leading up to the 2019-20 season, the NBA G League will hire a dedicated program manager and establish a working group that will be tasked with identifying eligible elite players who may be offered Select Contracts. More broadly, this working group will also oversee the implementation of the professional path initiative."

IMO this is going to cause more separation between the top tier teams and the next level down by siphoning off the kids that aren’t first rounders.

I agree with you 100%. Big boys won’t feel this. Second and third tier programs will.

Your entire speal just proved my point, so I’m assuming you don’t understand what I said. I’m talking about the marketability of players that NEVER played in college. It is a whole hell of a lot different for those players. Just look at Brian Bowen and Mitchell Robinson. Virtually no one knows who they are because they didn’t play in college. How much marketability do you think they have right now?

All the players you mentioned above got their initial exposure from college, not the G-League. You’re not going to see a plethora of shoe deals for players while in the damn G-League right away. Maybe a few, at most. Thanks for helping me prove my point though, saved me some work.

So what it boils down to is would a player rather spend a year in college with a pay cut of $125,000? The trade off being much more increased exposure, as well as the benefit of going up against much less talented players, for $125,000. I don’t think you’re going to see this massive paradigm shift. The impact of performing poorly in the G-League, which is more likely, could be much more damning to their overall worth as well.
I think the marketability of Hami and Robinson are exactly equal at this point. Being fair to MR by not comparing him with Knox. Don't think it's fair to compare loto to second rounders.
NBA fans are not always NCAA fans.

I hope you're hungry because you are about to be fed
First of all,...
1) ALL of the players impacted by this move have "never played in college" so you make no sense with that point. Lebron James also never played in college, but the NBA execs were able to figure out who he was without him "marketing" himself in college.
2) You chose Mitchell Robinson and Brian Bowen as examples??? really?? you said this: "I’m talking about the marketability of players that NEVER played in college. It is a whole hell of a lot different for those players. Just look at Brian Bowen and Mitchell Robinson. Virtually no one knows who they are because they didn’t play in college. How much marketability do you think they have right now?"
Robinson signed a 6.4 million dollar contract with the Knicks. And they mulled moving up to ensure that they got him, and added extra to his deal. Read the 1st paragraph of this link..
https://nypost.com/2018/07/08/knicks-lock-up-the-athletic-draft-pick-they-had-to-have/
AND
Brian Bowen just became the FIRST player ever signed in the Australian NBL's next star program.
So BOTH of them are rich basketball players just signed this summer. Sounds to me like they are pretty marketable.
You also said:
"You’re not going to see a plethora of shoe deals for players while in the damn G-League right away. Maybe a few, at most. Thanks for helping me prove my point though, saved me some work. "
Again, try to keep up son, these are "Select contracts" and are only for the elite players who they pick. These guys will have tons of show money thrown at them because they are the next Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins, etc. Maybe some people dont know who they are, but real basketball fans do, coaches do, and NBA scouts definitely DO. And they WILL sign them. So when you say...
"so I’m assuming you don’t understand what I said. "
no, YOU don't understand what I said. You think this is for anyone? you think its for average players? NO the select contract will be offered to ELITE players after much vetting. And those that accept will get paid.
And get this, Kentucky is probably better than most of the G-League teams. And the 2015 UK team definitely was, they could have beaten some NBA teams. So for the elite teams like UK, Duke, the argument can be made that your not playing against
"much less talented players" in college.
The only point that you have that's remotely close to being right is the exposure point. But I'll counter with this....exposure to who?? The fans? In college you get tv exposure, yes, and you get exposure to 20,000 people in the crowd. But in the G-League you get exposure to 200 people in the crowd, but 30 of them are scouts. This is not 1966 and the old argument where freshman weren't even eligible to play, and you had to stay 4 years in school. NBA scouts know these kids when they are 12. And they keep up with them. They make the rules, they own the league, and they are doing this. So like it or not, its going to work for them. And elite players are going to go and get paid. And in college, it will HURT the smaller and mid level schools, and HELP the Kentucky's and Dukes. Because UK and Duke will still sign the remaining best players, ranked between 15 and 50 and reclass the best juniors. And the florida states, vandy, arkansas, and mid level schools will be left to sign the players 50 to 200 and miss out on getting the occasional 15 to 50 players. So the best team will still eat, and the mid level schools will hurt.

Reactions: SkyPrince1
I hope you're hungry because you are about to be fed
First of all,...
1) ALL of the players impacted by this move have "never played in college" so you make no sense with that point. Lebron James also never played in college, but the NBA execs were able to figure out who he was without him "marketing" himself in college.
2) You chose Mitchell Robinson and Brian Bowen as examples??? really?? you said this: "I’m talking about the marketability of players that NEVER played in college. It is a whole hell of a lot different for those players. Just look at Brian Bowen and Mitchell Robinson. Virtually no one knows who they are because they didn’t play in college. How much marketability do you think they have right now?"
Robinson signed a 6.4 million dollar contract with the Knicks. And they mulled moving up to ensure that they got him, and added extra to his deal. Read the 1st paragraph of this link..
https://nypost.com/2018/07/08/knicks-lock-up-the-athletic-draft-pick-they-had-to-have/
AND
Brian Bowen just became the FIRST player ever signed in the Australian NBL's next star program.
So BOTH of them are rich basketball players just signed this summer. Sounds to me like they are pretty marketable.
You also said:
"You’re not going to see a plethora of shoe deals for players while in the damn G-League right away. Maybe a few, at most. Thanks for helping me prove my point though, saved me some work. "
Again, try to keep up son, these are "Select contracts" and are only for the elite players who they pick. These guys will have tons of show money thrown at them because they are the next Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins, etc. Maybe some people dont know who they are, but real basketball fans do, coaches do, and NBA scouts definitely DO. And they WILL sign them. So when you say...
"so I’m assuming you don’t understand what I said. "
no, YOU don't understand what I said. You think this is for anyone? you think its for average players? NO the select contract will be offered to ELITE players after much vetting. And those that accept will get paid.
And get this, Kentucky is probably better than most of the G-League teams. And the 2015 UK team definitely was, they could have beaten some NBA teams. So for the elite teams like UK, Duke, the argument can be made that your not playing against
"much less talented players" in college.
The only point that you have that's remotely close to being right is the exposure point. But I'll counter with this....exposure to who?? The fans? In college you get tv exposure, yes, and you get exposure to 20,000 people in the crowd. But in the G-League you get exposure to 200 people in the crowd, but 30 of them are scouts. This is not 1966 and the old argument where freshman weren't even eligible to play, and you had to stay 4 years in school. NBA scouts know these kids when they are 12. And they keep up with them. They make the rules, they own the league, and they are doing this. So like it or not, its going to work for them. And elite players are going to go and get paid. And in college, it will HURT the smaller and mid level schools, and HELP the Kentucky's and Dukes. Because UK and Duke will still sign the remaining best players, ranked between 15 and 50 and reclass the best juniors. And the florida states, vandy, arkansas, and mid level schools will be left to sign the players 50 to 200 and miss out on getting the occasional 15 to 50 players. So the best team will still eat, and the mid level schools will hurt.

Out of everyone that posts on this website, you have to have the longest posts that are either redundant or say nothing at all. The main point of yours I’ve disputed this ENTIRE TIME, is the idea that dozens of players aren’t going to be signing lucrative endorsement deals BEFORE being drafted and while taking this select G-League contract. You mentioned a guess at 15 players. There are almost never more than 2-3 NBA Star-Level players in any given class. Those are the only ones that would be selected by the G-League who’d be the ONLY ONES worth much more in their image.

So. I’ll. Say. It. Again. It boils down to players either going to college, or signing an $125,000 contract. Because very little to no players will have much worth in endorsements, UNTIL they’re drafted and somewhat proven, it’s college vs. $125k and the G-League. That’s it. I’m not sure a ton of players will suddenly be leaving for this deal, and there’s also risk involved, which I will explain.

You’re underestimating the G-League. They’re grown men. The 2015 team you mentioned? Over half that team has spent time in the G-League or currently plays in it. Many players coming out of high school with promise will flounder before they ever get drafted. There are risks involved to this. A year playing well in college is much safer than having struggles in a grown man’s league.

Do you understand now?

Last edited:
You make it seem as if tons of high school graduates can go to make “millions” overseas.You are being dramatic and exaggeratedly
Keep up simple one, we are only talking about elite HS players here. They're the ones eligible for this deal and the ones who can make over 10x as much overseas.

You’re naive if you think someone like Zion or John wall (top 1-5) will be going to the G league for 125k (80k after taxes)

You’ve been left behind buddy, catch back up
I think we're supposed to assume there will be less involvement by shoe companies on the NCAA level.

Out of everyone that posts on this website, you have to have the longest posts that are either redundant or say nothing at all. The main point of yours I’ve disputed this ENTIRE TIME, is the idea that dozens of players aren’t going to be signing lucrative endorsement deals BEFORE being drafted and while taking this select G-League contract. You mentioned a guess at 15 players. There are almost never more than 2-3 NBA Star-Level players in any given class. Those are the only ones that would be selected by the G-League who’d be the ONLY ONES worth much more in their image.

So. I’ll. Say. It. Again. It boils down to players either going to college, or signing an $125,000 contract. Because very little to no players will have much worth in endorsements, UNTIL they’re drafted and somewhat proven, it’s college vs. $125k and the G-League. That’s it. I’m not sure a ton of players will suddenly be leaving for this deal, and there’s also risk involved, which I will explain.

You’re underestimating the G-League. They’re grown men. The 2015 team you mentioned? Over half that team has spent time in the G-League or currently plays in it. Many players coming out of high school with promise will flounder before they ever get drafted. There are risks involved to this. A year playing well in college is much safer than having struggles in a grown man’s league.

Do you understand now?
How much do the shoe companies have to add to the G league contract before it becomes to good to pass up?
What if Wiseman is offered 125K by the league and another 100K from a shoe company for the season plus "future considerations".
Plus what if a financial advisor comes to them with a credit line that will put his mother in a brand new house and brand new cars for all.
Think its still a no brainer that he comes to UK?
Another thing to consider is how much the pot will be sweetened by the shoe companies, agents etc for a player like Murray who dominates a post season all star game.
When you destroy the comp the way he did at the hoop summit. I'm sure your options will look better the next day.

How much do the shoe companies have to add to the G league contract before it becomes to good to pass up?
What if Wiseman is offered 125K by the league and another 100K from a shoe company for the season plus "future considerations".
Plus what if a financial advisor comes to them with a credit line that will put his mother in a brand new house and brand new cars for all.
Think its still a no brainer that he comes to UK?
Another thing to consider is how much the pot will be sweetened by the shoe companies, agents etc for a player like Murray who dominates a post season all star game.
When you destroy the comp the way he did at the hoop summit. I'm sure your options will look better the next day.

I'm skeptical how much the shoe companies will get involved right off the bat, except for a very very select few. Wiseman may be one of them, maybe not. I think the shoe companies would be smart to wait until an actual draft takes place and some semblance of their potential has been realized or shown before large contracts are given. Maybe they wouldn't, I don't know for sure.

125k is also before taxes, and before the much more grueling schedule of the G-League takes place. That 125k just became 80-85k. Is the living situation guaranteed by the G-League? I really have no idea. That could drain more of it. How much food will be provided for free? I'm sure a lot, but not all. Who pays for the family to travel and watch the games? I think many on this board immediately see the 125k, but when it's all taken into account, it's not as big as it seems.

Your scenario is also the exact scenario Cal has warned against for the kids that slip through the cracks. Some kid will get selected and absolutely bomb in his year in the G-League. He wouldn't have another year of college to improve, and never had the benefit of looking good against lesser competition. His career would essentially be over before it ever began.

Do you understand now?

listen to me....stop adding word to my statements. Dozens? NO I didn't say that, I said the top 15 or so. Why do you think the top guys come to college now? Because they HAVE to. And only the best guys will be invited, and of them the top tier will get paid endorsements. And because its new, the NBA will make sure those guys get paid and its successful. So lets see how it plays out. But its going to be successful, and its also just a stepping stone. Because in 2022 the bargain agreement will allow players to enter the actual NBA draft out of high school. What really needs to happen is the NCAA needs to be abolished. Because they are the one's that are holding the players back. If you're son or daughter is a dental student, at UK under scholarship. And a dentist office offers them a job while in school, can they be penalized for taking it? Why is it that the athletes can? Because their profession is a sport?? And by the way, a sport/profession that pays more in 1 year than most professions make in a lifetime. Its going to take a person student/athlete to sue in court for their right to make money off of their abilities. And, big time schools to break away from the NCAA. And might I say, the NCAA is bad, but never worse than under Mark Emmert. Absolute bull Sh!t that someone isn't stepping up to end this. I challenge the SEC to step up and stop this. Or at least reform it under real leadership. They have selective enforcement, and sometime dont enforce at all. What UNC did, and went unpunished, is absolutely unbelievable. And Duke had 2 instances, Kansas had 3! They investigate and hammer UL, hammered UK in the late 80's, tried to hammer UK over Eric Bledsoe and had investigators camped out on UK campus, but did NOTHING to UNC over fake classes? Duke giving diamonds and gold to player, and Kansas, Kansas had insane!!! impermissable benefits and now we have written proof of Head Coach Self cheating, and yet nothing. So lets stop arguing, because we are on the same side. It's time that the NCAA goes. They have enabled the NBA to eliminate college basketball as we now it.

They won't play on TV and there will be 50 fans in the stands, all family members. Doesn't sound like much fun.

Reactions: westerncat
Since the G-League just announced the new $125,000 select path contracts that will start next summer its now safe to say that the recruitment of Carey, Wiseman and others is basically over. These guys will be the first class to be offered these contracts. And you can guarantee that since this is a "selection process of certain top players only", Carey and Wisemans names will be at the top of this list. Now what? How much time do college coaches continue to put into these guys? There is about a 90% chance that these 2 will now go to the G-League in my opinion. wow.
thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa
Who gives a shit?

College basketball will still go on with guys that actually want to go to college. That’s a good thing.

also, just so Im clear, Im not agreeing with or support this in any way. But I bet it affects more than you think. Because if you read the article, they can also go ahead and sign endorsement deals (shoe money etc) and make money off their likeness. Otherwise, the $125,000 is simply their salary. But they immediately can sign with Nike for $125 million. Now we know why Cal opened the door to reclassing top juniors recently. Because he will still get the elite players, but they will be reclassed juniors, skiping their senior year in high school. Where the immediate effect comes in is this years senior class, i.e. Carey, Wiseman, etc.
You’re just trying to be an asshole and get under people’s skin. Keep trying.

Reactions: crpoore
listen to me....stop adding word to my statements. Dozens? NO I didn't say that, I said the top 15 or so. Why do you think the top guys come to college now? Because they HAVE to. And only the best guys will be invited, and of them the top tier will get paid endorsements. And because its new, the NBA will make sure those guys get paid and its successful. So lets see how it plays out. But its going to be successful, and its also just a stepping stone. Because in 2022 the bargain agreement will allow players to enter the actual NBA draft out of high school. What really needs to happen is the NCAA needs to be abolished. Because they are the one's that are holding the players back. If you're son or daughter is a dental student, at UK under scholarship. And a dentist office offers them a job while in school, can they be penalized for taking it? Why is it that the athletes can? Because their profession is a sport?? And by the way, a sport/profession that pays more in 1 year than most professions make in a lifetime. Its going to take a person student/athlete to sue in court for their right to make money off of their abilities. And, big time schools to break away from the NCAA. And might I say, the NCAA is bad, but never worse than under Mark Emmert. Absolute bull Sh!t that someone isn't stepping up to end this. I challenge the SEC to step up and stop this. Or at least reform it under real leadership. They have selective enforcement, and sometime dont enforce at all. What UNC did, and went unpunished, is absolutely unbelievable. And Duke had 2 instances, Kansas had 3! They investigate and hammer UL, hammered UK in the late 80's, tried to hammer UK over Eric Bledsoe and had investigators camped out on UK campus, but did NOTHING to UNC over fake classes? Duke giving diamonds and gold to player, and Kansas, Kansas had insane!!! impermissable benefits and now we have written proof of Head Coach Self cheating, and yet nothing. So lets stop arguing, because we are on the same side. It's time that the NCAA goes. They have enabled the NBA to eliminate college basketball as we now it.

I'm not trying to get into a philosophical debate about the NCAA. I think we're more aligned in that respect. I've more been focused on the very first response of yours that I replied to, in which you said Nike will cut a check. I don't see more than 2-3 players in any given class getting a lucrative endorsement deal in this select G-League placement, UNTIL they are drafted. I think the 125k as a placeholder won't make a ton of players who get invited bite. They'll still go to college and make their millions after their one year. 125k, for most, is insignificant in the long run, and endorsements won't be lining up until after the draft. We'll just agree to disagree.

Reactions: Tyblue22
Also, Wiseman and Carey ain't going to the flippin G League unless they're ineligible to go to college.

I'm not trying to get into a philosophical debate about the NCAA. I think we're more aligned in that respect. I've more been focused on the very first response of yours that I replied to, in which you said Nike will cut a check. I don't see more than 2-3 players in any given class getting a lucrative endorsement deal in this select G-League placement, UNTIL they are drafted. I think the 125k as a placeholder won't make a ton of players who get invited bite. They'll still go to college and make their millions after their one year. 125k, for most, is insignificant in the long run, and endorsements won't be lining up until after the draft. We'll just agree to disagree.
I dont think we disagree as much as it seems. I see it that this is going to work in favor of the NCAA, but in the end Kentucky will still get the top of the stack. And hopefully we do something to take the NCAA out of the equation.

You’re just trying to be an asshole and get under people’s skin. Keep trying.
Nobody's trying to be an asshole, its just debating, And guess what fatboy, its a message board, the whole point is to debate. News flash, most of us dont agree, So either bring a debatable point, or shut your mouth. Because I am, like a lot of people who argue with you on here constantly are tired of you dropping crap in the floor and walking out. Make a point! or shut your lip. Tony Soprano is dead.

125k doesn't build your brand like going to a blue blood. Having a massive fan based gives you endorsement opportunities once you go pro that this doesn't.

Sorry, that is just delusional. NBA fans don’t give a crap what school a player went to for 1 year. A brand is created by how you do in the NBA. Most NBA fans couldn’t tell you Durant went to Texas.

This will be a good option for those who “really” need the money and can’t wait 1 year, or those who have no business (academically) at a college.

Reactions: 1war and JDHoss
Not every city has a G league in which to watch these guys do they ? Also the players would have to pay for their own room and board wouldn't they ? Not accounting for food and taxes. Just wondering. :chairshot:

Sorry, that is just delusional. NBA fans don’t give a crap what school a player went to for 1 year. A brand is created by how you do in the NBA. Most NBA fans couldn’t tell you Durant went to Texas.

This will be a good option for those who “really” need the money and can’t wait 1 year, or those who have no business (academically) at a college.
Yes and no. I watched the Kings-Jazz game for 1 reason the other day, to watch former UK players play in a game that I would otherwise have zero interest in.

Since the G-League just announced the new $125,000 select path contracts that will start next summer its now safe to say that the recruitment of Carey, Wiseman and others is basically over. These guys will be the first class to be offered these contracts. And you can guarantee that since this is a "selection process of certain top players only", Carey and Wisemans names will be at the top of this list. Now what? How much time do college coaches continue to put into these guys? There is about a 90% chance that these 2 will now go to the G-League in my opinion. wow.
thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa

I actually disagree. I dont think it will lure many players to go that route. The GL isn't anything close to being in the NBA and it's a league of grown men that can expose these kids. Grown men that are desperate to have/keep a career in the league. Also, the "stage" of the GL is next to nothing compared to places like UK, Puke, and UNCheat. Unless the player is in dire need of money or facing eligibility problems, I just dont see many going this route. Plus, it seems like they can get close to that amount if they play for Miller or Self!!!! Lol!

I honestly dont think this is a big deal at all and I really doubt the top guys go this route. Maybe some mid range 5* guys that will take a chance but not many of the top guys, in my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyblue22
Postive - No limits on practice time, so one could argue they could develop faster to prepare for the NBA.
Negative - No campus full of coeds where you are a superstar, future-NBA basketball player. Probably miss out on the best year of your life

Yes, they could argue that about development but all the time in the world wont help if you dont have the right person doing the coaching of these players. How many great coaches go from college to the GL? How many GL coaches go on to the NBA or even become college coaches? NONE! There is a reason for that.....cause the GL doesnt have great coaches. Cal is the best at developing talent the fastest of any coach in the business. Period! He's proven it over and over again. The pros of going to the GL is only the money, that's it. Not coaching, not lifestyle, not development, not exposure, not branding.......nothing but the money. The risks FAR outweigh the pros of going to the GL. The risk of being exposed by veteran grown men desperate to hold onto a career is enough for most of them to head to college. It's a really big risk from these kids. Unless the family really needs the money, I really dont think this rule is going to have much effect of anything.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT