ADVERTISEMENT

We need to have a serious conversation about Oscar…

I might question his work ethic this year. Not last year, but this year he has taken several steps backwards.

It’s hard to take him constantly throwing his hands up and pouting when things don’t go his way.
Maybe Huggins comments weren’t all sour grapes after all.

And you all really think Cal and Oscar are the problem...Look in the mirror. 98% of the people on this board are poison to the program. Kids will not come here when they see grown adults bashing other kids or the coach.
If anyone, especially a sports player in the spotlight, gets offended or hurt by what another total stranger thinks or says about them, then they are basically agreeing with what they are offended by.

Reactions: MbergCat
Oscar is records about the same offensive rebounds as last year. His defensive rebounds are down by 2.

He's shooting 55%. Last year 60%.
Assists are up. blocks are down by .7/game.

last year's net rating/40 min is +43. This season +31. Both still strong.

Looks like the SEC understands a little better how to play against Oscar. Still a great asset for UK basketball.

Last night versus Arkansas...UK just needed more production on offense and defense than Fredrick gave you. The other starters did well (Oscar was getting his shot blocked but that guy is taller and Oscar needed to adjust). Fredrick was last nights weak link. Gave you guys nothing.

Another thing I see about Oscar is that he doesn't seem to govern his emotions well. Often, I see him get frustrated and either make stupid fouls, or take I'll advised shots. You also see it when he gets too physical and sometimes lets the elbows or hands fly a bit. The emotions work in his favor when he's on a high, but when he's low, it really impact the team negatively.

Reactions: bevcat
Last year he was college basketball's best-kept secret. He showed some flaws in his game last year but teams did not take advantage of it. This year is a completely different story. Truth is, he's not that talented and when he hustles and gives max effort, he's good. When he doesn't, he looks like a guy that went to West Virginia.

He's undersized as a C and cannot score over length/athleticism. That's a massive problem. He does well when teams don't have that size and he can bully the defender around but SEC teams have that size/athleticism.

His PNR defense is just absolute dog water. His lateral quickness is terrible and he is not nearly active with his hands when defending PNRs. Opponents literally LAUGH at how bad he is at defending them. It's the same game plan over and over again. Get Oscar in PNR and throw lobs.

I never thought I'd say this but Oscar may have to get his minutes reduced to mid 20's-low 30's and play Collins more. Collins provides that athleticism and shot-blocking ability that Oscar does not. He can disrupt the shot even when he doesn't block it. Which is more than Oscar does.

Cal was quick to bench Toppin to teach him a lesson and to wake up and I hope he does that with Oscar.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I haven't loved some of Oscar's body language this year.

I don't think it is a lack of effort.

Seems to me two things:

1. Oscar has let his head maybe get a little too big.

2. SEC teams are now playing him for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th time...they have figured out how to approach his game and what bothers him.

His foot speed seems to have regressed some. Based off the timeline of his "minor" procedure, I do wonder if that has impacted him too.

Arkansas scored 88 points tonight. Their guards scored 67 points on 23 of 39 shooting

Saw a stat that Ark had 19 layups or dunks. As you stated, many of these were by their guards. This is NOT all on Oscar, but he’s not a rim protector.

Cal usually has a rim protector that prevents guards from shooting layups.

Cal loves players that can rebound. Oscar has a great year last year. (One of the best I’ve seen.) But, Oscar is an OLD school forward. He’s a great garbage guy, which is what many PF’s were 15-20 years ago.

I won’t ditch on Oscar much because of last year. But, he can’t play modern 4 because he can’t spread the floor or drive. He’s not a threat to protect rim from off ball defense. Teams have learned how to guard him and take advantage of his defensive liabilities. Oscar is best at offensive put backs. I also think Oscar got jingle In his pocket and thought this year would be easy.

I’ll enjoy memories from last year. Let’s hope Mike White tries again Sat to be innovative and guard Oscar with single undersized defender. Oscar needs another 25/15 game to regain some confidence.

Most agree that Cals time has passed but bringing him up for every little thing that’s wrong is so silly. The more likely scenario is this is closer to the real Oscar. Amazing year last year but this is exactly why no team would even consider him for a first round pick. His game can be great at times in college but can also have a bunch of times like this where if he is t getting close to 20 rebounds he’s almost useless.
So Keon Brookes, Johnny Juzang, Bryce Hopkins weren't better when they got out from under CAl's oppressive coaching style? I'd say it's pretTy clear what happens at this point. Teams don't want him because he struggles with length. He did last year too. That's not new. His attitude and effort are down because Cal beats it out of his players.

In a surprising turn of events, it feels like he’s now one of if not the weakest link.

He has regressed this year tremendously, especially on the defensive end where he looks completely lost. Now he’s cowering against any type of length.

Great kid. Great work ethic, but he’s holding the team back now. And his 2-year stint at UK has been just as bad if not worse than the Billy G. years.
How is he holding the team back. you are not making sense

Yeah it’s the coach who has a proven track record with all types of rosters, not the player who has won nothing.

Got it.
Jamal, For 14 years, Cal's had the NUMBER ONE recruiting class, by some pundits. He sure has not lived up to what is expected of them. How about the last 6 years? The game has passed Cal by, but he refuses to acknowledge that. Instead, he just keeps making excuses. In my business, a pilot in the USAF, and with an airline, excuses would not cut it. When he got the lifetime contract, he told us where to put it if we didn't like what he did, and there is nothing Barnhart will do about it. "The horse is already out of the barn."

So Keon Brookes, Johnny Juzang, Bryce Hopkins weren't better when they got out from under CAl's oppressive coaching style? I'd say it's pretTy clear what happens at this point. Teams don't want him because he struggles with length. He did last year too. That's not new. His attitude and effort are down because Cal beats it out of his players.
This is ignorant on so many levels. Brooks is not having a better season, his %’s are bad. The other 2 are exactly what everyone thought they would be but didn’t play enough here. Oscar won every award last year but now he’s “tired of Cal” so no longer good. Just so silly. PJ wasn’t and that’s just one example. I’m not trying to take up for Cal it’s just blaming him for each and everything is simply wrong. Overall success is on him but Oscar obviously is somewhere in the middle of what he did last year and this year.

This is ignorant on so many levels. Brooks is not having a better season, his %’s are bad. The other 2 are exactly what everyone thought they would be but didn’t play enough here. Oscar won every award last year but now he’s “tired of Cal” so no longer good. Just so silly. PJ wasn’t and that’s just one example. I’m not trying to take up for Cal it’s just blaming him for each and everything is simply wrong. Overall success is on him but Oscar obviously is somewhere in the middle of what he did last year and this year.
So Cal isn’t responsible for the players on the team? Oscar has made comments to the effect that Cal is over bearing and holding players down as has Bryce Hopkins. However, you just decide to not acknowledge those in order to promote your theory based on nothing? And also, what multiple levels is my statement ignorant on?

So Cal isn’t responsible for the players on the team? Oscar has made comments to the effect that Cal is over bearing and holding players down as has Bryce Hopkins. However, you just decide to not acknowledge those in order to promote your theory based on nothing? And also, what multiple levels is my statement ignorant on?
So Cal is holding players down, but Oscar, as a transfer who wasn't that impressive at WVU, Cal turned into a unanimous NPOY. But Cal is holding people back? Seems a bit illogical, don't you think?

Cal has always yelled a lot. He did so last year when Oscar was playing great. Why is it impacting Oscar more this year? Is it possible that since Oscar is struggling, it's easier for him to look for something the blame?

How can Cal be responsible for grown men? At some point, don't those men have to take some responsibility for themselves. Now, is Cal responsible for them being here and getting coached and prepared? Sure! But they actually have to take responsibility to execute.

So Cal is holding players down, but Oscar, as a transfer who wasn't that impressive at WVU, Cal turned into a unanimous NPOY. But Cal is holding people back? Seems a bit illogical, don't you think?

How can Cal be responsible for grown men? At some point, don't those men have to take some responsibility for themselves. Now, is Cal responsible for them being here and getting coached and prepared? Sure! But they actually have to take responsibility to execute.
I don’t know what to tell you dude. The guy told you the problem. If you choose not to believe him then you’re just ignoring what the guy is saying. And yes, it’s Cals job to make sure these guys execute. He’s making 10 mil a year. You get no excuses at 10 mil a year. That’s why it’s a 10 mil a year job.

Interesting on KSR just now Matt mentioned how Cal & Oscar have butted heads or been “off” since the offseason (didn’t say why)

And reinforced Oscar just isn’t meshing with this year’s team

Reactions: bevcat

Exactly. They simply are getting more minutes and volume shooting on different teams with different expectations.

The players are also older, more mature, and on their second stop after perceived failure and disappointment. If they were all patient and had the same mindset while at UK, they would have eventually thrived.

Cal has always yelled a lot. He did so last year when Oscar was playing great. Why is it impacting Oscar more this year? Is it possible that since Oscar is struggling, it's easier for him to look for something the blame?

Exactly Cal hasn't missed one wide open jumper or blown a defensive assignment in decades. If he tells them what to do, and they don't do it. The onus is on the players. Sure Cal can sub them out, but you eventually reach a point where you are out of options.

Exactly Cal hasn't missed one wide open jumper or blown a defensive assignment in decades. If he tells them what to do, and they don't do it. The onus is on the players. Sure Cal can sub them out, but you eventually reach a point where you are out of options.
So is Cal responsible for anything?

• Haha
Reactions: UKNothinButNet
Oscar struggles vs players that are taller and more skilled than he is. If Oscar had the hops of Collins, that would certainly help. Teams have taken Oscar away which forces other players to step up which isn't happening enough. The team continues to struggle hitting open shots consistently when the D collapses on Oscar.

As I explained the Brooks is wrong. Other two players didn’t change from who they were at UK they simply played more minutes. And Oscar isn’t being held back by anybody but himself. We watched him be the best player in CBB last year and now that everyone knows his 2 things he does well, it’s not hard to take him completely out of the game if you have athletic long bigs. So your statements about why he’s struggling due to “Cal wearing him down” are extremely dumb. Once again many things can be true and not be a causation of the other. Oscar isn’t as good as he was last year and a big part of that is his physical limitations. It can also be true that Cals prime is over. Those things can be true without having Cal cause the other.

I don’t know what to tell you dude. The guy told you the problem. If you choose not to believe him then you’re just ignoring what the guy is saying. And yes, it’s Cals job to make sure these guys execute. He’s making 10 mil a year. You get no excuses at 10 mil a year. That’s why it’s a 10 mil a year job.
You don't know what to tell me because what you're trying to tell isn't logical. You're arguing that a player Cal turned into a NPOY is correct in saying Cal holds them down.

You're also just choosing to believe the word of the person struggling, whom has a reason to look for others to blame, simply because you don't like the other. I'm not really a fan of Cal, but he isn't the reason Oscar is struggling or regressing. Cal literally gives him every opportunity...probably more than he should.

Cal can't execute for them, so I am not sure how he can make sure they execute. All he can do is replace them and hope the next person will execute.

What on earth makes Oscar a true 4 especially in todays game ?
I guess you think Chuck Hayes was a 5 also. I’ve not seen to many 6 8” centers dominate basketball down through time bottom line he needs another rim protector down low with him do you not remember Cauley Stein and towns playing on the court together you think cauley Stein was a true 4, that’s why that team was so good defensively.

I guess you think Chuck Hayes was a 5 also. I’ve not seen to many 6 8” centers dominate basketball down through time bottom line he needs another rim protector down low with him do you not remember Cauley Stein and towns playing on the court together you think cauley Stein was a true 4, that’s why that team was so good defensively.
There is a reason nobody has agreed with you . Please tell me you didn’t just compare Oscar to WCS who is a much better defender and way more versatile as a defender .

Reactions: WeWant9
In a surprising turn of events, it feels like he’s now one of if not the weakest link.

He has regressed this year tremendously, especially on the defensive end where he looks completely lost. Now he’s cowering against any type of length.

Great kid. Great work ethic, but he’s holding the team back now. And his 2-year stint at UK has been just as bad if not worse than the Billy G. years.
Kids are putting a body on him now.

You don't know what to tell me because what you're trying to tell isn't logical. You're arguing that a player Cal turned into a NPOY is correct in saying Cal holds them down.

You're also just choosing to believe the word of the person struggling, whom has a reason to look for others to blame, simply because you don't like the other. I'm not really a fan of Cal, but he isn't the reason Oscar is struggling or regressing. Cal literally gives him every opportunity...probably more than he should.

Cal can't execute for them, so I am not sure how he can make sure they execute. All he can do is replace them and hope the next person will execute.
If Cow turned Oscar into NPOY why doesn’t he do a little “tweaking “ and turn him into POY this year.

I have no answer but i do know Oscar isn’t a 4 nor should he play the 4 . You’re asking me for the answer like I’m Coach Cal . You made a ridiculous statement and I just responded to it .
What’s so rediculous about it? Oscar is an old school 4 if you can’t see that you don’t know much about the game you think Antonio is a small forward, you think toppin is a true 4 you think Wallace is a true point guard you think Collins is a true center? Fact is there’s only one true center on the team and he don’t play you got a bunch of guys playing out of a traditional pg,sg,sf,pf,c role

Reactions: EastLansingCat
If you are going to play CBB with a 6'8 Center, it needs to be someone like a Joey Dorsey who can block shots/reb and defend. Play to a role and not demand much other than a lob or putback here/there. But you better be elite on the perimeter. What many forget about post defense is it's only as strong as the defense on the ball and UK's on ball defense sucks as much as Oscar's defense.

I don’t know what to tell you because you just keep ignoring all the facts. Cal gets credit for Oscar last year. He did a great job with him LAST YEAR. He also gets the blame for his regression this year. You just ignore that player after player leave here, complain about the way Cal beats you down and then play better elsewhere. It’s amazing CJ Frederic shoots 47 & 48% from 3 and all of a sudden can’t shoot at Kentucky. It’s amazing that Johnny Juzang can’t shoot at UK, goes to UCLA and is an all American. Bryce Hopkins can’t do anything here, goes to Providence and is an all conference player and says Cal held him down. Oscar and Wenyon say Cal held them back, but you just ignore all that because it doesn’t fit your argument. Your wrong, it’s obvious you’re wrong, everyone knows you’re wrong but you keep digging deeper because you just can’t admit it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT