ADVERTISEMENT

We got embarrassed in the paint tonight.

I don’t want to bash UK kids, but despite the ineptitude of Cal, they have to be committed to defense. Of course the UK kids want to win but they are not committed to winning. Just like at 6’2” I ”want” to weigh 190 but my habits indicate I’m committed to weighing 215.

At some point the post players cannot keep letting the entry pass be that easy despite Cal’s lack of adjustments.

It's undisputed , or at least should be , AB and Ugo have been given long , extended chances . It's time to turn the 5 spot over to Z and let the guy actually get in the flow of a game . Start him , just like we have AB and Ugo many times . Free Big Z .

Whoever they threw the ball inside to they caught it and scored. Domination. They hit a poor percentage from the three line, why didn't we double down? When the outcome was being decided they got whatever they wanted inside. I'm beginning to believe the defense is not going to improve.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
IMO a large part of the issue is we leave the 3 or 4 to go double , even when we dont need to double anyone . We see their 4 post up, and we may have a guy that guard this post up fine , but our 5 will actually leave his position and we cant rotate anyone to cover a 5 . We have spent all season doubling the post , other teams know and attack it

What’s funny is Ike got in foul trouble and their less athletic back up skinny white post up player scored at Will in the post. Why didn’t we double the post?

Serious question, did Nembhard shoot at all? We played over the top on the pick and roll, showing double, but never made him complete the play himself. Very frustrating.

Without a doubt, we have to figure out some type of improvement in interior defense or this season is over. Hard to believe we have 3 highly ranked 7 footers and not one can play even average defense

When Mitchell gets healthy, put him back at the 5. Use the 7 footers to give him a break and end of game if/when we have a big lead. Ugo, Bradshaw and Z bring very little offense and next to nothing on defense. Put the best players on the floor, play small and fast. IMO

What Couch Cal thinks is a pick and roll...

jim-boeheim-picking.gif

I can't listen to the "But the players" arguments anymore.

One man gets paid 9 million dollars to choose the players. Calipari built this team. If they can't do basic basketball in February, that's still his fault.

He's had the players long enough to teach them how to do the basics/fundamentals. They don't do them. Bill Self's players aren't perfect either. But in February, they know how to play basketball. Because he teaches them.
People say when under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. Our guys sink to the level of their training. Which isn't much.

Without a doubt, we have to figure out some type of improvement in interior defense or this season is over. Hard to believe we have 3 highly ranked 7 footers and not one can play even average defense
Early on, most here were saying how great it was that we had 15 fouls to give at the center position and now most are saying we’re better off with none of them on the floor. Clearly, all three have a long way to go, but there is little consistency between them. You’d think at least one of them would play well each game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT