ADVERTISEMENT

We are so behind on offense

Wisconsin is about to lose after scoring 45 points. TT and ND have 25 a piece at halftime.

Arkansas won 53-48 yesterday over a shitty NMSU squad.

Illinois won their first round game 54-53.

Ohio State and Loyola Chi was a 54-41 game.

Iowa State-LSU was 59-54

Seton Hall scored 42 points yesterday.

UCLA beat Akron 57-53.

Iowa and UCONN both scored 62 in a loss.

But go OFF about how our 80PPG (#1 in the SEC) and our top 5 nationally ranked Offense is "So behind every other team in the tournament)...

I mean it...explain.

GAHHH Texas Tech has 51 points with a minute left!!

WHY CAN'T OUR OFFENSE BE LIKE THEIRS?!?!

WHYYY @bigblue7609

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Since the road loss at UT.

Numbers in parenthesis is where that ranked among all their opponents. So that first mark vs Bama is the best mark on their defense all season long.

vs Bama 1.41 ppp (1st) - we did this without our starting backcourt
vs LSU 1.10 ppp (4th) - same here.
vs Arkansas 1.06 ppp (11th)
vs Mississippi 1.32 ppp (2nd)
vs Florida 1.07 ppp (11th)
vs Vandy 1.13 ppp (6th)
vs UT 90.3 ppp (18th)
vs St. Peters 1.05 ppp (5th)

I think the offensive sputtering is highly misleading.

I will say our fast break offense did slow down a bit, but we didn't do as bad in the half court as much as some think.
I will concede based on the stats that the offense may not have been as much of an issue as it felt like watching the games. My specific time frame was after Bama from LSU game on but based on those numbers it was still top 10.

Defense was clearly more of an issue. But, I still maintain based on how for long stretches that Grady would not shoot, we ran no discernible plays other than the P&R/weave and TyTy just threw up brick after brick, that most any other coach would’ve made some attempt to change things up in some way. He can’t make guys make shots but he can put them in a better position to do so.

The offense that seemed so unstoppable for the majority of the season just didn’t feel that way the last 6-7 games to me—Whether that can be backed up with stats or not.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
What is this “pissed of Nike “ story? I never heard anything about that.
Nike had the Phil Knight 80th birthday celebration and had a tourney. They invited 2 teams from the P5 conferences and 6 others. Cal told them no. They really wanted UK as UK was the “it” team then. Cal doesn’t like tournaments so he gave them a bullshit scheduling excuse. Since that point Dukes recruiting has improved tremendously.

I will concede based on the stats that the offense may not have been as much of an issue as it felt like watching the games. My specific time frame was after Bama from LSU game on but based on those numbers it was still top 10.

Defense was clearly more of an issue. But, I still maintain based on how for long stretches that Grady would not shoot, we ran no discernible plays other than the P&R/weave and TyTy just threw up brick after brick, that most any other coach would’ve made some attempt to change things up in some way. He can’t make guys make shots but he can put them in a better position to do so.

The offense that seemed so unstoppable for the majority of the season just didn’t feel that way the last 6-7 games to me—Whether that can be backed up with stats or not.

No I totally agree with that.

I feel like a large portion of that is Grady and Tyty going cold. And yeah maybe Cal could have done something to get guys going. Instead of basically our half court being feed Oscar times 100

Shooting well always makes things look a whole lot better.

Reactions: Atrain7732
I don't know I think the national player of the year would have some sway on whether or not I choose a school lol.
really. That’s what Oscar was coming in? even So then you are conceding Cal was putting those 4 on the block. Exactly where they dont play.

Our defense stinks - no rim protection- no hard hedges - we switch to much - we do not draw enough charges - our help defense and rotations are non existent for the most part
Maybe a new group with some dogs on it will help. This team just wasn’t tough minded - to damn nice for the most part

Really hope Cal is watching Auburn's offense tonight and taking notes! REALLY wish we could be like them, they scored 61 points!! Man that'd be great to have here right @bigblue7609!

People on this board need to be absolutely ROASTED for some of the bad takes- and this thread is an all-timer (as all of my responses have pointed out).

Anyone who agrees with this clown just doesn't know basketball.

He was lol. Did you not see his freshman year?

He stopped trying his second year and left because he hated it there, and actually got better over time. He was a beast at WV as a freshman.
He averaged 11 ppg and 9 rbs as a freshman. So, NO, he was not getting them all.

UK this season

Adjusted Offensive Efficiency = 4th
Adjusted Defensive Efficiency = 35th

Beating a dead horse here but everyone is focusing on the wrong side of the ball.

That is true. We didn't lose to Saint Peters because of offense.

79 would beat most teams in NCAA tournament first round game. 15 of 64 teams scored 79+ in first round game. Unfortunately, Saint Peters was one of those teams.

Use your eyeballs people, not some computer ranking.

The half court offense SUCKED. If you think it was good, not even great….

Well, that means you are one of those people that you hear talking sports, and they say weird stuff and you realize they don’t really know what they’re talking about. So, you just sorta let them ramble and don’t correct them because you feel sorry for them.

Well, that means you are one of those people that you hear talking sports, and they say weird stuff and you realize they don’t really know what they’re talking about. So, you just sorta let them ramble and don’t correct them because you feel sorry for them.

Or perhaps your "eyeballs" are lying to you.

Points per possession and points per game isn't some made up computer formula. It's what actually happened on the court. You can't score 81 points per game and conclude it's a bad offense.

Yeah we were at the top of our game when we were running. There's no doubt about that. So is Gonzaga. So is Arizona. So are a bunch of other teams that play quickly. But your kidding yourself if a large portion of that points per game number wasn't done........in the halfcourt.

Once again of course the eyes tell you our half court offense stinks.

Because a large portion of our halfcourt offense was a missed shot, an Oscar rebound and a putback.

Of course it's not going to look good on the eyes.

2 points is 2 points tho.

The problem this year was defense, and not having enough guys that can shoot reliably. We cannot depend on one player to make 4 threes a game. You have to have multiple guys that can shoot 34% or better. TyTy was a non factor the last month, and so was grady. Ever since TyTy came back into the fold after injury and was never the same. Lost a step offensively and defensively. Idk how a nba team takes him in the lottery after the past couple of months.

Forget Offense, our Offense was great for most of the year. Its the DEFENSE that has been bad all year. Even in our blowout wins (Except for Kansas) those teams still managed to score into the 70's and even the 80's. This is partly because Grady could guard absolutely NO ONE and as well as Sahvir. Sahvir is too inconsistent to be a UK pg. Plus can't shoot which means teams do not have to guard him etc. Same with brooks. Hell the whole starting 5 besides Oscar couldn't guard their man. Your almost better off going Zone to prevent everyone getting beat on simple ball screens.

Bottom line, If this team has Brooks and Sahvir in the starting line up next year, don't expect our outcome to be any different. Need Sharpe to come back or a year 2 tyty, but I would take Sharpe over Tyty any day. Just not athletic enough.

I know I’m beating a dead horse. And it doesn’t matter but our offense doesn’t even compare to the rest of the teams I’ve watched in the tournament. The movement, the flow, the screens. It just makes me realize how much we stand around dribbling with no idea what to do after that
According to one expert who called Matt Jones, the offense Cal runs is so old and out of date that no one on the entire planet runs this type of offense but UK.

There's no doubt that Oscar was a beast even at WVU. And the rebounding % numbers on the offensive end has been rather consistent in his three years.

But what is also true is his defensive rebounding % went up like crazy and his FG% jumped to over 60% which was up from 55% in year one and 52% in year two.

He no doubt got better at UK.

Reactions: WildcatNC
I wonder if keion and Oscar are still posted up down low while sahvir dribbles around with nobody guarding him. Next year it’ll be lance and Collins posted up while sahvir dribbles around and the other two guys just stand around.

I wonder if keion and Oscar are still posted up down low while sahvir dribbles around with nobody guarding him. Next year it’ll be lance and Collins posted up while sahvir dribbles around and the other two guys just stand around.

oh god. Let's just hope Oscar returns. The thought of Lance Ware having any significant time on this team next year makes me sick lol.

In terms of the offense I blame Cal but remember this offense was amazing against Tenn and Kansas. What changed?
Made mid-range jumpers. At a crazy abnormal rate. The offense was top notch in transition. When in the half-court, they rely WAY too much on 12-18' jumpers. Worse, they rely on guarded pull-ups. Looks great when they fall, but often they don't. The one adjustment Vols made after the first game was they made the Cats run offense in the half court. There was a real effort to limit transition by lengthening their own possessions and sending a max of three to the offensive glass. Doesn't take a genius to figure out, the Cats suck on offense when they can't score in transition.

Reactions: wcc31
Which is what I posted time after time that our team was much better in early offense, and up-tempo. We had such a nice advantage over teams like SP and instead we went with that stupid.......oh what's the use....

We had the fourth best offense in all of college basketball.

Again not bad for a guy that people think "just rolls balls out"

What's that per 40 min? Or even what he played here? Your wrong dude. Read the other posts. His stat line per 40 was close to his line this year. He played nearly as well, just played less.

It wasn't just a time on the court issue tho.

While his offensive rebounding % was similar in all three years, this season his defensive rebounding % skyrocketed and his FG% rose.

He was no doubt good at WVU but he was even better at UK.

It wasn't just a time on the court issue tho.

While his offensive rebounding % was similar in all three years, this season his defensive rebounding % skyrocketed and his FG% rose.

He was no doubt good at WVU but he was even better at UK.
I agree with you and know that. He definitely got better. It's the dude that thinks he was a scrub at WV that I'm mentioning that for. He worked on his game and got better clearly.

Reactions: The_Answer1313

We were 2-5 against top 20 defenses. In 4 of our last 5 losses up to the NCAAT we failed to score 1pt per possession Our adjusted tempo per 40 possessions was ranked 150 this season. We struggled against good defenses and should have played faster to get more opportunities at the end of the year. Or we should have played a better non conference schedule against better teams to be more prepared.

I agree with you and know that. He definitely got better. It's the dude that thinks he was a scrub at WV that I'm mentioning that for. He worked on his game and got better clearly.
I never said he was a scrub. I said he didn’t do at WV what he did at UK.

I'd venture to guess that most offenses don't put up good numbers vs really good defenses. Or else, they wouldn't be really good defenses.

We put up 1.05 points per possession vs St. Peters. Which doesn't sound like much. St Peters has a highly rated defense despite being a 15 seed. When you factor that the predicted score on Kenpom given where the two teams were ranked was 74-59, and that 1.05 points per possession was the 5th highest mark on their defense all season long, you begin to think maybe that wasn't all that bad. In other words given our highly ranked offense and their highly ranked defense, we scored about what was expected.

It's the fact they scored 81 when they were predicted to score 59 which was quite alarming.

I think that's how these things need evaluated anyways. Given a teams rating and their opponent rating (off vs def) what were they expected to do and what actually happened. Given that even filtering the results from February onward our offense was still at 6th in adjusted off efficiency, I'm guessing we didn't drop off all that much.

Last edited:

You are getting close to the mark. We hemorrhage on defense. Damn if I can figure out why for sure. I think maybe kids just don’t like to play it. One change I would like to see Cal make is simple. Just tell the kids, he don’t care if they never score unless they are mad dogs on defense. No defense, no play.

Defense is your problem feeling the offense too. We ran off defense. Our half court was always going to suffer with such bad shooting. Even the latest greatest froo froo offense is going to fail without shooting. It always starts with defense.

Lastly, Grady ran into a classic shooters block. Worried he can’t make it so get it to someone that might. Players have been doing this for decades. Not sure what the mystery is here.

We were 2-0 against unc and ku. numbnutz like you, would rather burn the program to the ground to get your way. Smh

Nah man y’all ain’t even gonna go there.

Aren’t those “meaningless early season games”?

Were playin for March, right?

So now C3 can’t coach a baby to take a bottle some of you want to run back to those games…..

This isn’t going to work. There’s not much support left for C3 at Kentucky. If the few left who think this guys legit would just be a UK fan and base their opinions off of results instead of man crushes, you wouldn’t have to Chase your tail so much. As an older UK fan who’s lived this, I’m disappointed. You should be the first one calling him to the door. And sadly, it appears you’ll be last. I just don’t get it man.

I'd venture to guess that most offenses don't put up good numbers vs really good defenses. Or else, they wouldn't be really good defenses.

We put up 1.05 points per possession vs St. Peters. Which doesn't sound like much. St Peters has a highly rated defense despite being a 15 seed. When you factor that the predicted score on Kenpom given where the two teams were ranked was 74-59, and that 1.05 points per possession was the 5th highest mark on their defense all season long, you begin to think maybe that wasn't all that bad. In other words given our highly ranked offense and their highly ranked defense, we scored about what was expected.

It's the fact they scored 81 when they were predicted to score 59 which was quite alarming.

I think that's how these things need evaluated anyways. Given a teams rating and their opponent rating (off vs def) what were they expected to do and what actually happened. Given that even filtering the results from February onward our offense was still at 6th in adjusted off efficiency, I'm guessing we didn't drop off all that much.

We’ve discussed this. The proof is there for you to see but you still want to hold on to this notion that a college Basketball teams abilities are tied to metrics and can be quantified. They actually can’t, if you want to use math to find the distance to the moon, the circumference of black holes, the speed of new horizons, you can. If you want to use math as a means to understand 19 year olds dribbling a ball? You can’t.

Give it up bro. Analytics are killing sports. Baseball is slowly waking up to this and is finally about to end where analytics have taken the game. Every sport needs to stop placing so much emphasis on it.

• Haha
Reactions: The_Answer1313
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT