ADVERTISEMENT

We are so behind on offense

UK this season

Adjusted Offensive Efficiency = 4th
Adjusted Defensive Efficiency = 35th

Beating a dead horse here but everyone is focusing on the wrong side of the ball.
Our offensive efficiency was good bc we were a good transition team until late February when Cal tried to round peg, square hole them into a half court team

UK this season

Beating a dead horse here but everyone is focusing on the wrong side of the ball.
Yea but i think that is misleading. You watch these games and these other teams are amazing to watch on offense.

Reactions: Bluespade44
There's no doubt the high ranking was in part due to Oscar getting offensive boards. But you can't just write that off, it was a huge advantage and we played to it. So while people can think Cal needs to revamp the offense, the offense wasn't the issue this year.
I agree with the premise in general--defense was a bigger issue than offense. But the variance in their performance was high, with 2 poor offensive performances when it counted the most.

Reactions: WildcatNC
We were 3-6 against top 25. Outside of Duke we didn’t play a real team until January.
Get out of here with your smoke triple C. Cant Coach Cal.
We were 2-0 against unc and ku. numbnutz like you, would rather burn the program to the ground to get your way. Smh

Cal is not anywhere near the best X&O coach in college basketball, but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t implement a more modern offense as most teams have done. It doesn’t take an offensive genius just takes the will. For the first time in his UK tenure he will be truly pushed on this we will all see how he responds.

BTW, I agree completely with OP. The comparison with most of the tourney teams offense is stark and not even close. If us Benny’s get this pretty simple observation it’s not going unnoticed by others.
Our offense is not the most fun to watch, but someone put out a stat earlier and almost always it's our poor defensive year's when we take an early exit. One reason it doesn't look as fluid is that we are one of the few team's that still play two bigs and neither has the capability of shooting a three pointer. Throw in a PG who also cannot shoot three pointers and you figure out why we play like we do. We averaged 80+ ppg which was near the top in the nation.

As someone said earlier, complaining about Cals offense this year was a mute point. We struggled against good defensive team's due to the fact that they guard and we don't. I don't think it's a coincidence that we had top defensive teams sitting in both the first round and second round games this year.

The offense wasn’t good vs good defensive teams because they made us play on the half court. Oscar masked A lot of issues with him giving us 2nd chances. Wheeler had his issues but the bigger problem was how he was used. Running high pick roll with him and Oscar late in the shit clock was and is stupid considering neither one of them can shoot

UK this season

While I agree defense was the real problem, us making tough shots and Oscar cleaning up misses and getting easy putbacks really helped our offensive numbers.

You can't say we weren't dribbling around doing handoffs a lot and then driving into traffic looking lost a lot. The system itself isn't all that impressive.

Yea but i think that is misleading. You watch these games and these other teams are amazing to watch on offense.

But again that's because our style of basketball isn't the best looking. When you rely so much on offensive rebounding, it's not going to "look" good. That's different from it being efficient or not.

Our offense is not the most fun to watch, but someone put out a stat earlier and almost always it's our poor defensive year's when we take an early exit. One reason it doesn't look as fluid is that we are one of the few team's that still play two bigs and neither has the capability of shooting a three pointer. Throw in a PG who also cannot shoot three pointers and you figure out why we play like we do. We averaged 80+ ppg which was near the top in the nation.

As someone said earlier, complaining about Cals offense this year was a mute point. We struggled against good defensive team's due to the fact that they guard and we don't. I don't think it's a coincidence that we had top defensive teams sitting in both the first round and second round games this year.
As has been mentioned by others, I think specifically most are referring to the halfcoirt offense. We were greet in transition esp the first 2/3 of the season. It seemed to stall at the end, most likely bc we did play more defensive oriented teams.

I also do agree with you regarding the offensive deficiencies and our lack of defensive prowess esp late in the season. tho.

While I agree defense was the real problem, us making tough shots and Oscar cleaning up misses and getting easy putbacks really helped our offensive numbers.

You can't say we weren't dribbling around doing handoffs a lot and then driving into traffic looking lost a lot. The system itself isn't all that impressive.

Well yeah, but offensive rebounding IS still a part of being effective on offense. There's more than one way to put points on the board. Getting offensive rebounds and easy putbacks is a benefit of our system, not a flaw.

The offense wasn’t good vs good defensive teams because they made us play on the half court. Oscar masked A lot of issues with him giving us 2nd chances. Wheeler had his issues but the bigger problem was how he was used. Running high pick roll with him and Oscar late in the shit clock was and is stupid considering neither one of them can shoot

Maybe. Then again we had one of our best offensive performances at home vs UT who was one of the best defensive teams in D1.

But in general of course it wasn't as good. Because they are good defensive teams for a reason. Sometimes you have to give credit to what the other team does well too.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
We were 2-0 against unc and ku. numbnutz like you, would rather burn the program to the ground to get your way. Smh
Triple C shouldn’t you be walking your dog?
I know you don’t fish. No way you bait a hook or remove a fish.
It’s nasty!!! 😂😂

Triple C shouldn’t you be walking your dog?
I know you don’t fish. No way you bait a hook or remove a fish.
It’s nasty!!! 😂😂
What are you, 12? Don’t you have school tomorrow? 7th or 8th grade?

Maybe. Then again we had one of our best offensive performances at home vs UT who was one of the best defensive teams in D1.

But in general of course it wasn't as good. Because they are good defensive teams for a reason. Sometimes you have to give credit to what the other team does well too.
Of course. I don’t need them to be the warriors but 6-7 minute stretches of not scoring gets you beat. We have to do Better on that end of the floor.

Well yeah, but offensive rebounding IS still a part of being effective on offense. There's more than one way to put points on the board. Getting offensive rebounds and easy putbacks is a benefit of our system, not a flaw.
It's a benefit of Oscar dude. That's it. We had a historically dominant rebounder. It wasn't the "system". Otherwise everyone else wouldn't have been watching him get them all.

Reactions: ukdesi
It's a benefit of Oscar dude. That's it. We had a historically dominant rebounder. It wasn't the "system". Otherwise everyone else wouldn't have been watching him get them all.
How come he wasn’t getting them all at WV?

That's great. While we don't have an Oscar every year, we do tend to lead in offensive rebounding % year in year out under Cal. That and getting to the foul line most years so yes it's most definitely a by product of what Cal values on offense.

Our offense doesn’t even compare to the rest of the teams I’ve watched in the tournament.
Wisconsin is about to lose after scoring 45 points. TT and ND have 25 a piece at halftime.

Arkansas won 53-48 yesterday over a shitty NMSU squad.

Illinois won their first round game 54-53.

Ohio State and Loyola Chi was a 54-41 game.

Iowa State-LSU was 59-54

Seton Hall scored 42 points yesterday.

UCLA beat Akron 57-53.

Iowa and UCONN both scored 62 in a loss.

But go OFF about how our 80PPG (#1 in the SEC) and our top 5 nationally ranked Offense is "So behind every other team in the tournament)...

I mean it...explain.

Tennessee shot 54 percent and 48 from 3. We were absolutely great offensively, but I remember thinking to myself that day about how poorly we were on defense. It was a sign of things to come. We couldn't reproduce that offensive production again against a good defensive team and nobody should expect us to.

Wisconsin is about to lose after scoring 45 points. TT and ND have 25 a piece at halftime.

Arkansas won 53-48 yesterday over a shitty NMSU squad.

Illinois won their first round game 54-53.

Ohio State and Loyola Chi was a 54-41 game.

Iowa State-LSU was 59-54

Seton Hall scored 42 points yesterday.

UCLA beat Akron 57-53.

Iowa and UCONN both scored 62 in a loss.

But go OFF about how our 80PPG (#1 in the SEC) and our top 5 nationally ranked Offense is "So behind every other team in the tournament)...

I mean it...explain.

That's because they really aren't talking about how efficient we are but rather how we "look".

Which isn't the same thing.

Tennessee shot 54 percent and 48 from 3. We were absolutely great offensively, but I remember thinking to myself that day about how poorly we were on defense. It was a sign of things to come. We couldn't reproduce that offensive production again against a good defensive team and nobody should expect us to.

I felt like that game kind of signified when the defense started to turn.

I thought the same thing. I was absolutely happy with the performance as a whole and part of me did think well yeah you are up by that much you are going to let up a bit on defense. But it definitely started to be alarming at that point.

Because UT wasn't even that great this season on offense.

Before the Tennessee loss Kentucky was averaging 81.3 PPG

The Tennessee loss onward Kentucky scored 81 points twice in the last 9 games

In the last 9 games of the season Kentucky averaged 74.33 PPG

Twice they failed to score over 63 points in those 9 games

Now someone do the defense before the UT loss vs the defense after the UT loss.

Kentucky did not finish the season strong offensively, but it was far outweighed by how terribly we finished defensively.

Don't do points per game.

Do points per possession.

I fully expect the offensive numbers to be not as good but the defensive numbers was off the charts bad at the end of the season.

Kentucky did not finish the season strong offensively, but it was far outweighed by how terribly we finished defensively.

exactly

And those two times not scoring above 63 were both against the same top 5 defense.

Exactly.

The defense was the issue, but our fans want to focus on offense and who called a timeout and when.

We have such low basketball IQ on this board when things aren't going well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT