ADVERTISEMENT

We are so behind on offense

There's no doubt the high ranking was in part due to Oscar getting offensive boards. But you can't just write that off, it was a huge advantage and we played to it. So while people can think Cal needs to revamp the offense, the offense wasn't the issue this year.
The offense is the issue in recruiting. Watch other top “it“ teams play and compare to UK. Cal would have toothpick Holmgren down on the blocks.

Wisconsin is about to lose after scoring 45 points. TT and ND have 25 a piece at halftime.

Arkansas won 53-48 yesterday over a shitty NMSU squad.

Illinois won their first round game 54-53.

Ohio State and Loyola Chi was a 54-41 game.

Iowa State-LSU was 59-54

Seton Hall scored 42 points yesterday.

UCLA beat Akron 57-53.

Iowa and UCONN both scored 62 in a loss.

But go OFF about how our 80PPG (#1 in the SEC) and our top 5 nationally ranked Offense is "So behind every other team in the tournament)...

I mean it...explain.

Anddddd down goes Wisconsin with 49 points scored.

But come on @bigblue7609, explain it to me?

I do get it tho.

People don't want to see a missed shot, offensive board, putback offense.

In terms of style points yeah sure it's lacking. At least in the half court.

You watch teams like Gonzaga and think why can't we do some of that stuff in our system.

Our offense was great 2/3 of the year when we got out in transition and Oscar cleaned the offensive glass. Cal reverted to his old ways though when injuries hit. He got scared. He could have used games through the year to develop a bench, but he didn’t. Then when we got everyone back, he stayed with the crawl ball. Our defense stunk all year. It was just boosted by a terrible non conference schedule against cupcakes.

Reactions: crawfords corner
The offense is the issue in recruiting. Watch other top “it“ teams play and compare to UK. Cal would have toothpick Holmgren down on the blocks.
Oh my how the goalposts keep moving in this thread.

First it was "the offensive is horrible" before it was pointed out it was top 5 nationally.

Then it was "well it was horrible the second half of the season" before it was pointed out it was actually top 3 the second half of the season.

Then it was "well it sure looked bad to me."

Now it's "Well it'll hurt recruiting" with hypothetical scenarios about how Cal would use a guy on Gonzaga.

Crazy the lengths people will go to not admit the offense was fine this year, it was the defense that was the problem.

Our offense was great 2/3 of the year when we got out in transition and Oscar cleaned the offensive glass. Cal reverted to his old ways though when injuries hit. He got scared. He could have used games through the year to develop a bench, but he didn’t. Then when we got everyone back, he stayed with the crawl ball. Our defense stunk all year. It was just boosted by a terrible non conference schedule against cupcakes.

Precisely what happened.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
Cal is terrified of teams he can't control. Since he promised sharpe free brand promotion, facilities and NIL money at UK without having to play, he had to revert to his old ways when wheeler and Washington got hurt. We went much of February essentially playing back to the basket offense with two non shooting bigs.

Why is that an issue? Harder to penetrate for wheeler as the defense is stuffed in the lane which lead to more turnovers, poorer shooting attempts and general complacency. We don't run OOB plays so we don't get easy buckets. Hell, we could barely inbound the ball late in the year. Coaching malpractice.

By the time tyty and wheeler were back, grady had as mentally and physically shot, our bigs were our showcase and threes were shunned. It's no wonder we lost so early.

We became too reliant on Oscar.

But then again guys went missing. Grady wasn't shooting as well. Tyty wasn't shooting as well.

So we kind of went to that because we had to IMO.

Picked an awful time for guys to stop shooting

First it was "the offensive is horrible" before it was pointed out it was top 5 nationally.

Then it was "well it was horrible the second half of the season" before it was pointed out it was actually top 3 the second half of the season.

Now it's "Well it'll hurt recruiting" with hypothetical scenarios about how Cal would use a guy on Gonzaga.

Crazy the lengths people will go to not admit the offense was fine this year, it was the defense that was the problem.

LMAO THANK YOUUUUU!!

This board is absolutely comical.

Going forward, I'm more concerned about getting the defensive number up than where the offense is currently at.

The offensive statistics literally prove this is not at all what happened. Last month of the season we had a top 3 offense.

The scoreboard is the ultimate statistic and Kentucky went from scoring 81 PPG to 74 over the last 9 games. If you call that proven, well, good for you.

points per game is misleading.

Scoring 81 points in an 81 possession game = scoring 74 in a 74 possession game.

I'm not saying that's what happened because I'm sure there was some tail off offensively but from a points per possession stand point our offense really didn't drop at all.

There are lies, damn lies and statistics. Did some of you guys actually watch the games. There were about a dozen games this year where we would have 5-6 or 7 minutes scoring droughts where we didn't score a single basket. Then of course there were the half dozen games where we led by 4-6 points going into the last 4 minutes and failed to score more than a basket ( a hallmark of the Cal era the last 6 years). His offense first and foremost is predicated on players being able to create their own shot off the dribble, something that works only when you have players capable of doing it, something we haven't had in a while. This teams offense worked pretty well in transition, unfortunately our defense was so poor that we couldn't do that with any consistency. Cal either needs to change his offensive philosophy or recruit a lot of guys who can create their own shot, something he hasn't done in a couple of years.

FWIW if I filter the results from Feb 1st onward this is what I get

Adj Offensive Efficiency = 6th (so slightly drop off but nothing major)
Adj Defensive Efficiency = 97th

You can win with that first number.

The second number you're basically become a one sided team in the tournament. Teams that tend to get bounced early

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
points per game is misleading.

Scoring 81 points in an 81 possession game = scoring 74 in a 74 possession game.

I'm not saying that's what happened because I'm sure there was some tail off offensively but from a points per possession stand point our offense really didn't drop at all.

It's not the PPG, it's the drastic decline in scoring. 7 points is lot of points. Teams that score 74 PPG don't often win titles.

It's not the PPG, it's the drastic decline in scoring. 7 points is lot of points. Teams that score 74 PPG don't often win titles.
You completely missed the point. PPG itself is a completely meaningless stat unless you adjust for things like possessions per game, pace of the game, etc.

When you actually adjust for those variables we had an offense that ranked....3rd.

Or maybe we just played teams that slowed the pace down.

That's why that needs to be removed from the equation.

It's points per poss that's what matters.

Reactions: ukcatz12
There are lies, damn lies and statistics. Did some of you guys actually watch the games. There were about a dozen games this year where we would have 5-6 or 7 minutes scoring droughts where we didn't score a single basket. Then of course there were the half dozen games where we led by 4-6 points going into the last 4 minutes and failed to score more than a basket ( a hallmark of the Cal era the last 6 years). His offense first and foremost is predicated on players being able to create their own shot off the dribble, something that works only when you have players capable of doing it, something we haven't had in a while. This teams offense worked pretty well in transition, unfortunately our defense was so poor that we couldn't do that with any consistency. Cal either needs to change his offensive philosophy or recruit a lot of guys who can create their own shot, something he hasn't done in a couple of years.
When Grady and TyTy were making shots, our offense looked damn good. Throw in a big game from Brooks and we stomp ku in the phog. The secret to offense looking good, is making shots.

Show me where I wrote about the offense in this post other than Gonzaga and Memphis was fun to watch and recruits prefer a different style? I suppose I can attribute anything I want from random posts to you? If you think talented bigs today want to play back to the basket you clearly have no understanding of what elite recruits think the NBA is looking for.

every thread you comment in, I will assume you agreed with everything posted.

edit:
Holmgren 7-0
Banchero 6-9
Duren 6-10
Smith (Auburn) 6-10

2021 top 4 bigs. How many play primarily low block back to the basket?

Last edited:
Or maybe we just played teams that slowed the pace down.

That's why that needs to be removed from the equation.

It's points per poss that's what matters.

We slowed the pace down. We became a more half court oriented team. You people can bring up whatever stat you want. The fact of the matter is Kentucky's offense at the end of the season became more stagnated. We didn't push the ball nearly as much as we had before those players got hurt.

The vast majority of the problem to end the season was the defense, but pretending that the offense didn't sputter down the stretch is dishonest. It is what it is though.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
Show me where I wrote about the offense in this post other than Gonzaga and Memphis was fun to watch and recruits prefer a different style? I suppose I can attribute anything I want from random posts to you? If you think talented bigs today want to play back to the basket you clearly have no understanding of what elite recruits think the NBA is looking for.

every thread you comment in, I will assume you agreed with everything posted.

Possibly, but I don't know. I mean we had some misses but in general Cal has been able to recruit pretty well despite playing this style for the past 13 seasons. So maybe it's not that big of a factor.

We need someone to post all the games to youtube or something and then give us a chat room where we can discuss the games in a live chat. That would be interesting and fun. Also, a little heartbreaking as well.

Since the road loss at UT.

Numbers in parenthesis is where that ranked among all their opponents. So that first mark vs Bama is the best mark on their defense all season long.

vs Bama 1.41 ppp (1st) - we did this without our starting backcourt
vs LSU 1.10 ppp (4th) - same here.
vs Arkansas 1.06 ppp (11th)
vs Mississippi 1.32 ppp (2nd)
vs Florida 1.07 ppp (11th)
vs Vandy 1.13 ppp (6th)
vs UT 90.3 ppp (18th)
vs St. Peters 1.05 ppp (5th)

I think the offensive sputtering is highly misleading.

I will say our fast break offense did slow down a bit, but we didn't do as bad in the half court as much as some think.

Possibly, but I don't know. I mean we had some misses but in general Cal has been able to recruit pretty well despite playing this style for the past 13 seasons. So maybe it's not that big of a factor.
Holmgren 7-0 Gonzaga
Banchero- 6-9 Duke
Duren 6-10 Memphis
Smith 6-10 Auburn

Top 4 ”bigs” from 2021 recruits. How many play with their back to the basket as their primary offense? How many are still playing despite “inferior” coaches according to Cal defenders—3 with the only one out because they played one of the other bigs.

Holmgren 7-0 Gonzaga
Banchero- 6-9 Duke
Duren 6-10 Memphis
Smith 6-10 Auburn

Top 4 ”bigs” from 2021 recruits. How many play with their back to the basket as their primary offense? How many are still playing despite “inferior” coaches according to Cal defenders—3 with the only one out because they played one of the other bigs.

It's a good point. I mean it may have moved them away from us and to those teams.

With recruits it's just hard to know tho.

We need someone to post all the games to youtube or something and then give us a chat room where we can discuss the games in a live chat. That would be interesting and fun. Also, a little heartbreaking as well.

I think that would be way better than a game thread. It would definitely be fun.

It's a good point. I mean it may have moved them away from us and to those teams.

No it’s not. That’s what the NBA tells them. That’s how they play. Tubby’s refusal to adapt and complete apathy to recruiting did him in.

Coach K used to play that way and his recruiting suffered. He changed (and didn’t piss off Nike) and look at Dukes recruiting the last 5-6 years.

What is this “pissed of Nike “ story? I never heard anything about that.

I know I’m beating a dead horse. And it doesn’t matter but our offense doesn’t even compare to the rest of the teams I’ve watched in the tournament. The movement, the flow, the screens. It just makes me realize how much we stand around dribbling with no idea what to do after that
Good thing Cal doesn't coach football, or he'd have us running the wishbone while everyone else is throwing the ball all over the field.

Good thing Cal doesn't coach football, or he'd have us running the wishbone.

haha I don't want to get into this on the basketball board but the football offense to me is similar to the basketball one.

It's not high flying and good looking but it gets the job done lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT