ADVERTISEMENT

We are a fricking joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not the splash I’d hoped for but he plays a fun style and let’s be honest. You know how hard it is to compete in the Big 12 with a bunch of Mormons? He did it too. He is kinda a proto up and coming coach where this job can elevate him. He will run a good program too. At worst he’s here until maybe an Oats is in a better life spot. We will have a team that stays at least.
You could have got pope 2 weeks from now. Barnhart fricking sucks, he didn’t even really try to get donavon

You could have got pope 2 weeks from now. Barnhart fricking sucks, he didn’t even really try to get donavon
I get that, and I wanted him too. I’m guessing he’s panicking a little and wants to field a team. I wanted to go after Lloyd and McDermott honestly if Donovan said no or took too long.

We were gonna have a hard time fielding a decent team anyway with Donovan this late.

But at least he's a hall of fame coach and we would win big down the road.

with this hire we wont win the sec or make a final four this decade IMO. Unless hes fired soon.

Ask and you shall receive....you wanted 4 year players, you will get them cause most will be walk-ons that Pope gives a Scholarship to....you wanted NCAA wins, well good luck with that

UK is now a Football school....lmao

Reactions: JFCats22
I think this will be a solid hire. I worry about the whole LDS stuff and hope the religious stuff doesn't get in the way. And if it's not, we can cut ties very easily and won't have to spend a lot on a contract or do a buyout of any sorts.

I also have to imagine this means Reed will play for him, as Pope and Jeff played together. Not that this is a reason to hire a coach, but it helps get him off on the right foot.
This is a GREAT post, LineSki ! ! ! I, too, am conscious of the LDS stuff. But everything else you wrote is spot on. I live in Arizona now ... the state with the largest LDS population after Utah ... and but for the fact that Pope was a substantial contributor on a national championship team at U.K. playing for Pitino, I might be "worried" about the LDS stuff ... but I'm pretty satisfied with this situation right now.

But at least he's a hall of fame coach and we would win big down the road.

with this hire we wont win the sec or make a final four this decade IMO. Unless hes fired soon.
We don’t know that. I get that it’s not flashy or what anyone wanted but for all we know he was like the 10th call. At some point it gets embarrassing to the job.

Until I hear an official announcement I don't believe it.
It’s coming my dude. They have been spot on all the way thru this. It’s a big story and every contact they have are notifying someone telling them the scoop. We wouldn’t have so many tweets about a deal being done tonight unless that is what is going on.

Said it in another thread... Times have changed. Duke and UNC promoted former players to HC positions. The Brad Stevens and Dan Hurleys of the world aren't coming here. We need to find the next Stevens and Hurley in the coaching record and I hope this is the answer.

Ive said this for the last two years…UK will take a major step back when it loses Cal. Now here we are.

The break needed to happen, but ultimately a Pope hire is not much better than a Kenny Payne hire.

Reactions: bIhawk
Here's something to think about. If Pope is successful, you don't have to worry about him jumping to the NBA or another coaching job. Again, I think there's a reason why blueblood schools like UNC, Duke and Kentucky are hiring former players. When Self retires from Kansas I bet they will be likely be going down the same road as us.

Reactions: Girthang
A benefit to this, that probably isn't lost on the staff, AD and boosters.. is that this will likely be a contract that isn't too expensive, has little guaranteed, and one that we can likely get out of easily, without much backlash, if things don't work out in 2-3 years.

This kind of feels like the idea many of us had, that this hire could be a stopgap type of hire, where if we need to move on, we can, and quite easily. I imagine staff will be keeping an eye on the coaching landscape as it changes over the next few years. If Pope is mediocre, and say Hurley misses the Final4 the next two years (when he's clearly going to be favored), then you can go all in then. There's nothing that says you can't go after Hurley or Oats again in a few years.. two guys who seemed like they had no option but to stay at their programs, despite wanting to come here.

Can't wait to see all the excuses the sunshine pumpers make next year when we don't make the ncaa tournament.

Maybe we can decline the NIT bid like st John's did.

There was no guarantee we'd even make the tourney under Cal. No guarantee with anyone who came in to coach.

Here's a weird idea.... Let's back the coach and FORMER WILDCAT IMMEDIATELY, and save the theatrics until we have actually underperformed.... just a thought.

He's not a bad coach. He's not a great coach. But he's got potential and he deserves and needs as much backing as any other new coach would. Let's not make this a tougher year than it was already gonna be.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
Ask and you shall receive....you wanted 4 year players, you will get them cause most will be walk-ons that Pope gives a Scholarship to....you wanted NCAA wins, well good luck with that

UK is now a Football school....lmao

I’d love to be a football school but not like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT