ADVERTISEMENT

WCS says Cal drew recruits not UK.

Your opinion is your opinion just like mine is mine. I knew after 2015 that he would never win another title here. I should have realized that after 2012. His focus and message were never in agreement with fan expectations which led to a parting of the ways last year, thank God. Coach K outrecruited him most years. His message of recruit and develop was also an abject failure and he rushed players in and out of here, some of whom weren’t ready for the next level from a maturity standpoint. He was condescending, arrogant and thought he was infallible. I don’t miss him, I’m glad he’s gone and I look forward to a return to glory doing things the right way.
You clearly have an issue staying on topic. I didn’t voice any opinions, I stated facts. Nothing you are talking about is in regards to anything I posted. Your hatred of Cal seems to run so deep that you aren’t able to look at anything he did through an unbiased lens.

Who said he created Kentucky basketball. You clearly have a hatred that prevents you from reading anything and actually understanding what you are looking at. I clearly said that any coach can come here and put together good teams with good players. What is also true is that there has never been another coach that recruits at his level, here or anywhere else. K was the closest for a few years.
Cal's perceived success at UK, IMO, was most likely a combination of first the UK platform and brand. This allowed Cal to attract the attention of top players and then allowed him to sell them on his wholesale OAD mantra. It was an easy sell, but its success was short lived as other coaches adopted variants of the same to complete. As this began to fail, Cal relied on his silver-tongue to continue to sell it, and players continued to buy it. Ultimately, the approach collapsed from its own weight and imperfections in spite of Cal's attempts to continue to sell it, hence his unwillingness to adjust to the demands of the game and pleadings from BBN to make changes. When you layer in Cal's narcissism and coaching inadequacies exposing him as a very mediocre coach, the writing was on the wall and his record over his last years at Kentucky proved to expose the dark under-belly that no-one wanted to acknowledge. The manner in which he decided to leave UK speaks volumes about him and his character. I don't have to "hate" him to see that reality for what it was. I certainly hated the fact that he continued to lead this program as I wanted him gone but, I didn't hate the MAN. Those are serious words usually thrown about by those with a weak argument.

Reactions: know1
You clearly have an issue staying on topic. I didn’t voice any opinions, I stated facts. Nothing you are talking about is in regards to anything I posted. Your hatred of Cal seems to run so deep that you aren’t able to look at anything he did through an unbiased lens.
I see by your name you’re just a little slow so let me say this a bit slower so you can comprehend. I have no issues because we fixed the biggest problem with Kentucky Basketball and removed the roadblock that was keeping us from competing for championships. You might slobber his knob and if that’s your thing then slobber all over it. I prefer my coach to be here building title teams. Take all those draft picks, turn them sideways and well, you know the rest. Quit trying to make your case because you’re wasting your time. Go order your Hog gear and enjoy his team.

Reactions: KFuqua
I see by your name you’re just a little slow so let me say this a bit slower so you can comprehend. I have no issues because we fixed the biggest problem with Kentucky Basketball and removed the roadblock that was keeping us from competing for championships. You might slobber his knob and if that’s your thing then slobber all over it. I prefer my coach to be here building title teams. Take all those draft picks, turn them sideways and well, you know the rest. Quit trying to make your case because you’re wasting your time. Go order your Hog gear and enjoy his team.
You literally told the poster who said the same exact thing as me that he made good points.

My username is a joke from this board. You are just a joke period. Probably finished all of 8th grade, like most of your branchless family tree. You know what you can do…

Hog gear? Is that something I would need to pursue your wife?

The only compliment I gave Cal is that he has recruited better than anyone ever has here and likely ever will.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doodah859

You literally told the poster who said the same exact thing as me that he made good points.

My username is a joke from this board. You are just a joke period. Probably finished all of 8th grade, like most of your branchless family tree. You know what you can do…

Hog gear? Is that something I would need to pursue your wife?

The only compliment I gave Cal is that he has recruited better than anyone ever has here and likely ever will.

C*ck sucking insults followed by your wife is fat daggers. Happy Monday boys!

When WCS went to Kentucky, we were coming off a national championship and a string of arguably the most loaded recruiting classes year over year since Wooden's UCLA haul. At the time, it was one of the greatest harmonious symbiotic relationships we have seen in college sports.

It was Calipari, but it was also Calipari at Kentucky.

Then covid happened and shit got weird. I don't know how else to explain it... and don't see a reason to overthink it.

Personally, I didn't want Calipari to leave, but also, since he left, it's never been more evident that Calipari's philosophy of players first also extended to Calipari first. He left Kentucky giving no shits about his reputation or legacy here. The stats, the bravado, the legacy, the conservation of tradition, he burned it all through his actions that were no fault but his own. He took every player & every recruit except one (who would've been here regardless). He has done little, at least publicly, to bridge that divide. Taking an in-conference job to a conference Rival was another F you on top of everything else.

And that's who Calipari is. It's also arguably why players liked Calipari. It's not about fans, the program or the university. It's about them. The thing is that it didn't have to be a polarizing choice. Calipari's inability to push a philosophy that satisfied both the player and the program is arguably why his relationship broke here (on top of a few absolutely abysmal sub-par seasons), but that attitude is reflected in many of his past players, who also have a sense of loyalty to him. And to be fair, Calipari did help those guys (and still does evidently), but the program is irrelevant in his equation.

When WCS went to Kentucky, we were coming off a national championship and a string of arguably the most loaded recruiting classes year over year since Wooden's UCLA haul. At the time, it was one of the greatest harmonious symbiotic relationships we have seen in college sports.

Then covid happened and shit got weird. I don't know how else to explain it... and don't see a reason to overthink it.

Personally, I didn't want Calipari to leave, but also, since he left, it's never been more evident that Calipari's philosophy of players first also extended to Calipari first. He left Kentucky giving no shits about his reputation or legacy here. The stats, the bravado, the legacy, the conservation of tradition, he burned it all through his actions that were no fault but his own. He took every player & every recruit except one (who would've been here regardless). He has done little, at least publicly, to bridge that divide. Taking an in-conference job to a conference Rival was another F you on top of everything else.

And that's who Calipari is. It's also arguably why players liked Calipari. It's not about fans, the program or the university. It's about them. The thing is that it didn't have to be a polarizing choice. Calipari's inability to push a philosophy that satisfied both the player and the program is arguably why his relationship broke here (on top of a few absolutely abysmal sub-par seasons), but that attitude is reflected in many of his past players, who also have a sense of loyalty to him. And to be fair, Calipari did help those guys (and still does evidently), but the program is irrelevant in his equation.
As a Tar Heel fan, I agree with your analysis of Calipari. I think Pope is a tremendous hire who will return the pride of the program to the forefront for UK fans....as it should be.

As you are a UK fan, who now is worse? Calipari or Pitino?

I personally think that UK fans should welcome him back as a legendary UK coach. He simply left UK to go to the NBA and then when that didn't work out, the best available job was Louisville (IIRC). Did Pitino do anything wrong other than going back to work albeit a big UK rival?

Isn't Arkansas actually a bigger rival than Louisville is to UK? Arkansas is a SEC division rival. and Calipari just took a lot of blue (Wagner and other UK players and UK recruits) and turned them into red. And when talking to recruits, he says we're still the same (the coaching staff)...we just are at a different school but it's still the same. He just said UK doesn't matter. It's all about me.

Calipari is the most self-centered coach I've ever seen and that surpasses Coach K by 10 miles.

Reactions: KAB Cats
As a Tar Heel fan, I agree with your analysis of Calipari. I think Pope is a tremendous hire who will return the pride of the program to the forefront for UK fans....as it should be.

I personally think that UK fans should welcome him back as a legendary UK coach. He simply left UK to go to the NBA and then when that didn't work out, the best available job was Louisville (IIRC). Did Pitino do anything wrong other than going back to work albeit a big UK rival?

Isn't Arkansas actually a bigger rival than Louisville is to UK? Arkansas is a SEC division rival. and Calipari just took a lot of blue (Wagner and other UK players and UK recruits) and turned them into red. And when talking to recruits, he says we're still the same (the coaching staff)...we just are at a different school but it's still the same. He just said UK doesn't matter. It's all about me.

Calipari is the most self-centered coach I've ever seen and that surpasses Coach K by 10 miles.
UL is the biggest rival and its not close. Ticket sales are insane that game. Kansas, Duke, Indiana, UT, UNC are all bigger games than the Hog game. Except for this year. That was kind of a d&ck move going to an SEC school.

But youre right about Pitino, he's no longer enemy number 1. Now its Cal. I was even hoping they'd take Pitino back after Oats turned us down.

UL is the biggest rival and its not close. Ticket sales are insane that game. Kansas, Duke, Indiana, UT, UNC are all bigger games than the Hog game. Except for this year. That was kind of a d&ck move going to an SEC school.

But youre right about Pitino, he's no longer enemy number 1. Now its Cal. I was even hoping they'd take Pitino back after Oats turned us down.
In the state of North Carolina, only the good teams are the biggest rivals. It's Duke vs UNC. Wake and NCSt not so much hatred there. Not a slouch but Louisville has been looking up to UK for most of the time.

Why would Pitino going to Louisville bring such venom when Pitino just wanted to work and Louisville is a top 15 job all time? It wasn't even in conference. Not arguing...just wondered why Pitino was hated by UK fans. He didn't even steal recruits iirc. I remember the Mercer and McCarty team and was amazed at the talent. And amazed at the coaching job w the Feldhaus, Farmer team. That should've kept UK fans' respectful for Pitino even though he was at Louisville. But that's not for me to say as an outsider.

Calipari otoh...he's as slimy and self centered as a person can be. And he took a bunch of UK roster. Clearly prioritized Cal over UK.

They have non-solicitation agreements in other industries for what Calipari did on his way to Arkansas.

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
In the state of North Carolina, only the good teams are the biggest rivals. It's Duke vs UNC. Wake and NCSt not so much hatred there. Not a slouch but Louisville has been looking up to UK for most of the time.

Why would Pitino going to Louisville bring such venom when Pitino just wanted to work and Louisville is a top 15 job all time? It wasn't even in conference. Not arguing...just wondered why Pitino was hated by UK fans. He didn't even steal recruits iirc. I remember the Mercer and McCarty team and was amazed at the talent. And amazed at the coaching job w the Feldhaus, Farmer team. That should've kept UK fans' respectful for Pitino even though he was at Louisville. But that's not for me to say as an outsider.

Calipari otoh...he's as slimy and self centered as a person can be. And he took a bunch of UK roster. Clearly prioritized Cal over UK.

They have non-solicitation agreements in other industries for what Calipari did on his way to Arkansas.
As someone who grew up in Louisville, during Pitino’s time at ul, it was nauseating to hear him. Lots of little pop shots at UK and the fans. It’s a rivalry built on hate, very little respect between UK and ul fans. Pitino going there just threw more fuel on the fire, and he really thought UK fans were going jump ship and still support him.

The Cal/Pitino games were nuts though. I didn’t talk with any of my ul friends leading up to the 12 FF lol

As someone who grew up in Louisville, during Pitino’s time at ul, it was nauseating to hear him. Lots of little pop shots at UK and the fans. It’s a rivalry built on hate, very little respect between UK and ul fans. Pitino going there just threw more fuel on the fire, and he really thought UK fans were going jump ship and still support him.

The Cal/Pitino games were nuts though. I didn’t talk with any of my ul friends leading up to the 12 FF lol
Got it. Thanks.

I believe K has 2 NCAA Championships to 1 for Cal during the Cal coaching period. I personally would have taken K over Cal if that had been a option.
Only one of those titles was using the one and done strategy. 2010 wasn't. Taking the years both coaches went all in on one and done Cal was more successful overall. K couldn't even make the Final Four with that stacked Zion team.

Cal did it to himself. He worked very hard to be disliked the way he is around the country. Before Cal came here as coach, he wasn't very well liked on this board either. As in most cases, people will accept bad behavior when you are winning; however, it is seldom tolerated when you lose.
Only one of those titles was using the one and done strategy. 2010 wasn't. Taking the years both coaches went all in on one and done Cal was more successful overall. K couldn't even make the Final Four with that stacked Zion team.
You really believe your nonsense!!

If it was all about Cal, why is it that he didn't have that same level of recruiting success before coming to Kentucky? Why should anyone listen to WCS? It isn't like he is some great knowledge center on Kentucky or Cal.

If it was all about Cal, why is it that he didn't have that same level of recruiting success before coming to Kentucky? Why should anyone listen to WCS? It isn't like he is some great knowledge center on Kentucky or Cal.

First, I never said it was all Calipari.

But also he landed Marcus Camby at a mid major, Derrick Rose, Tyrese Evans and Cousins and Wall probably would’ve gone to Memphis.

Calipari is below Pitino in the UK pecking order. I also 100% guarantee that Calipari returns to Rupp one day and gets a standing O. But the wound is fresh and isn’t healing soon.

Id rather beat Arkansas than Louisville next season

Pitino was loved from day 1. Even when he left, half of the state wore Celtics gear...we were all pulling for him. And when you're as good of a coach as he was, he couldve went anywhere after Boston. And he has to go to our biggest rival, thats unforgivable. I know the Duke-UNC rivalry is big, but the UK-UL rivalry is pure hatred. You guys honor each other in the arena, in this game people get the tires slashed and cars are keyed. Its hatred. Then he beat us a few times, the first being with a transfer Marvin Stone. Then he started going to the final four, won them a title. Hatred sky rocketed.

I had your thoughts about Cal prior to UK. What ive learned about Cal is that he cares more about his players and doing whats right over winning. Thats a nice quality to have. I think he's a good dude, and he has a lot more integrity than Pitino. BUT....i do think Pitino is a much better coach, regardless of the head to head record. If every player were exactly the same....Pitino would be the one to beat every single year.

Reactions: know1

The dislike/rivalry between Kentucky and little brother goes way back. Kentucky has always been THE college for most Kentuckians and Louisville has always hated it. There are more Kentucky fans in Louisville than there are Louisville fans. The hatred for Louisville ramped up years ago, when Denny Crum declared them "THE University of Kentucky" when they won the championship. That did not sit well with people and it just ramped up from there and the rivalry is still strong with a lot of hatred involved.

When Pitino chose to go to Louisville, it was a slap in the face to Kentucky and all of the fans who had loved Pitino. To go to our most hated rival was bad enough, but then to constantly trash Kentucky, and it's fans, every chance he got, just continued to build the hate. He then made the decision that in order to try to get to Kentucky's level, they had to cheat. That continued his downward spiral and he proved that he's trash.

Now, he wants Kentucky residents and UK Fans to forget all the things he did, all the trash he talked, all the insults he made, etc. and to embrace him again. For many fans, like myself, that will never happen. That's why people aren't respectful of Pitino; he doesn't deserve it. I can appreciate what he did as Kentucky's coach, but I also have to realize that's he been garbage since then. The Pitino that was so good at Kentucky doesn't exist anymore.

No doubt that Cal in no where near the coach that Pitino was and there's no doubt that Cal is slimy and self-centered. It was a happy, happy day when he finally left Kentucky and let us finally move forward, even if he did go out of his way to make sure none of his players stay at Kentucky!

Last edited:
First, I never said it was all Calipari.

But also he landed Marcus Camby at a mid major, Derrick Rose, Tyrese Evans and Cousins and Wall probably would’ve gone to Memphis.
Only what happened matters, so you can remove Wall from your list. Your pre-Kentucky list for Cal is rather pedestrian when compared to what occurred at Kentucky. Cal received way more from Kentucky than what he provided.

Only what happened matters, so you can remove Wall from your list. Your pre-Kentucky list for Cal is rather pedestrian when compared to what occurred at Kentucky. Cal received way more from Kentucky than what he provided.

Yea, I don't know what we are arguing about.

Calipari is a spectacular recruiter who gave access to an unprecedented rate of good recruits who UK wouldn't have gotten otherwise. That is a fact.

Kentucky is one of the top (or the top) program, which also previously had an extremely high rate of good recruits. That is fact.

Both things are true.

Yea, I don't know what we are arguing about.

Calipari is a spectacular recruiter who gave access to an unprecedented rate of good recruits who UK wouldn't have gotten otherwise. That is a fact.

Kentucky is one of the top (or the top) program, which also previously had an extremely high rate of good recruits. That is fact.

Both things are true.
If Cal is such a spectacular recruiter, why is there no evidence of it before Kentucky? Without Kentucky, Cal would never have experienced the recruiting success that he did. There is nothing in his history that suggest otherwise. I have very little patience for people who are lazy and waste the number of resources and opportunities as Cal. Cal completely stopped coaching after tricking UK into the lifetime contract. I will never forgive him for that.

Last edited:
Why is this thread so long? Read the SI story, listen to the interview. WCS does NOT say anything about UK "not drawing recruits". He talks about how Cal prepared them for the off-the-court aspects of the NBA and life, how he was a father-figure to his players. How could anyone think that is a bad thing? I hope every coach at every school does that to their players. WCS even said "I only know Cal, I don't know the other coaches (and if they were like that too)". Now the implication may be that Cal was a bigger reason for them coming to UK than was the name "Kentucky". Ok, so what. No shocker there. He not only had top 2 recruiting classes every year, but most years (especially the first half of his stay) there was a big gap after UK.

But he also "had to" bring in top classes, because he created a player-revolving-door.
And the reason Cal had to go, wasn't because he was a sub-par recruiter (that was Tubby in his later years). It was because of his coaching and stubornness (and to some fans his arrogance).

Why is this thread so long? Read the SI story, listen to the interview. WCS does NOT say anything about UK "not drawing recruits". He talks about how Cal prepared them for the off-the-court aspects of the NBA and life, how he was a father-figure to his players. How could anyone think that is a bad thing? I hope every coach at every school does that to their players. WCS even said "I only know Cal, I don't know the other coaches (and if they were like that too)". Now the implication may be that Cal was a bigger reason for them coming to UK than was the name "Kentucky". Ok, so what. No shocker there. He not only had top 2 recruiting classes every year, but most years (especially the first half of his stay) there was a big gap after UK.

But he also "had to" bring in top classes, because he created a player-revolving-door.
And the reason Cal had to go, wasn't because he was a sub-par recruiter (that was Tubby in his later years). It was because of his coaching and stubornness (and to some fans his arrogance).
Where were those top recruiting classes from Cal before Kentucky?

If Cal is such a spectacular recruiter, why is there no evidence of it before Kentucky? Without Kentucky, Cal would never have experienced the recruiting success that he did. There is nothing in his history that suggest otherwise. I have very little patience for people who are lazy and waste the number of resources and opportunities as Cal. Cal completely stopped coaching after tricking UK into the lifetime contract. I will never forgive him for that.
Make dumb statements, and you make me do this. I don't want to defend Cal, glad he's gone. I am defending logic and the truth, not the former coach.
Our former coach got Camby to go to mid-major UMass (before they were decent), he got Wagner and Rose to go to mid-major Memphis. BBN wasn't excited about him coming because he was a great X's and O's coach, BBN was excited because the thought was he could really recruit.

Cal's failure wasn't a result of recruiting. It was a result of (bad) coaching!

But you did hit on to something very true. Yes, "without Kentucky, Cal would have never experienced the recruiting success that he did". Can't agree more. But you're blind if you don't see it went both ways, that Cal benefited from the UK name, and UK benefited from Cal, when it came to recruiting.
If only he could coach like he could recruit.

Make dumb statements, and you make me do this. I don't want to defend Cal, glad he's gone. I am defending logic and the truth, not the former coach.
Our former coach got Camby to go to mid-major UMass (before they were decent), he got Wagner and Rose to go to mid-major Memphis. BBN wasn't excited about him coming because he was a great X's and O's coach, BBN was excited because the thought was he could really recruit.

Cal's failure wasn't a result of recruiting. It was a result of (bad) coaching!

But you did hit on to something very true. Yes, "without Kentucky, Cal would have never experienced the recruiting success that he did". Can't agree more. But you're blind if you don't see it went both ways, that Cal benefited from the UK name, and UK benefited from Cal, when it came to recruiting.
If only he could coach like he could recruit.
ONCE AGAIN!!!!!! If Cal's recruiting was all about him and not the program, he would have been able to have the same recruiting success at UMass and Memphis. He didn't have that level of success at those two programs no matter how many more times you list those handful of players over a period of 8 years at UMass and 9 Years at Memphis.

There is ample evidence that Calipari was an elite of the elite recruiter before Kentucky. That's why we hired him. Derrick Rose was one of the best players to play college ball that decade. That's on top of Joey Dorsey, Robert Dozier, Chris Douglas-Roberts & Antonio Anderson. Every school in the country was drooling over Tyreke Evans. Guy had a national title contender at Memphis & a Final 4 team at UMass.

Now, we could talk about the skirted rules to get those players, but that's a different conversation.

There is ample evidence that Calipari was an elite of the elite recruiter before Kentucky. That's why we hired him. Derrick Rose was one of the best players to play college ball that decade. That's on top of Joey Dorsey, Robert Dozier, Chris Douglas-Roberts & Antonio Anderson. Every school in the country was drooling over Tyreke Evans. Guy had a national title contender at Memphis & a Final 4 team at UMass.

Now, we could talk about the skirted rules to get those players, but that's a different conversation.
I was just about to mention the last line of your post.

The list of names you provided in addition to Evans and Rose were for what purpose? Those players weren't close to the level of players he pulled in at Kentucky. I finished with this thread. You guys should build Cal a Shrine. It might make his departure easier for you.

I was just about to mention the last line of your post. The list of names you provided in addition to Evans and Rose were for what purpose? Those players weren't close to the level of players he pulled in at Kentucky.

I provided two of the more highly regarded recruits of the 2000's because you indicated he didn't get good recruits prior to Kentucky.

I honestly don't know what the argument is....

I provided two of the more highly regarded recruits of the 2000's because you indicated he didn't get good recruits prior to Kentucky.

I honestly don't know what the argument is....
It isn't an argument; it is simply a disagreement on just how much of Cal's recruiting success was him vs Kentucky. I think it was more Kentucky and other coaches not participating in the OAD game. Once Coach K got involved in the OAD game, Cal's pipeline to the best players was greatly disrupted until after Coach K retired.

Last edited:
Where were those top recruiting classes from Cal before Kentucky?
Where were those recruiting classes at UK before Cal? Cal is the best recruiter college basketball has seen. Nobody has done it on his level year in and year out regardless of where they coached.

HANG A BANNER!!!!!!!

He's not wrong though.

Tubby Smith was a good recruiter for a certain kind of recruit, but his system wasn't attractive to the 5 star worldbeater OAD types. By the end, he was losing recruits to prep schools. Albeit, if Tubby did continue at Kentucky and Draymond Green stuck with his commitment AND Patrick Patterson was on the same roster, that would've been interesting.

Gillispie was recruiting 7th graders, but he did leave behind some talent.

That's a huge reason why Calipari was so popular though. UK fans were tired of losing All-Americans consistently to the UNC's and KU's of the world. Perfect roster is somewhere in the middle of Tubby-style and Calipari-style recruiting. BALANCE

Reactions: RunninRichie
ONCE AGAIN!!!!!! If Cal's recruiting was all about him and not the program, he would have been able to have the same recruiting success at UMass and Memphis. He didn't have that level of success at those two programs no matter how many more times you list those handful of players over a period of 8 years at UMass and 9 Years at Memphis.
Lets see how you feel after the 25 Arkansas class is in the books . There is a reason everyone says it was Cal (including his former KY players ) . Just cause you hate the man don't let it make you look foolish .

Cal did it to himself. He worked very hard to be disliked the way he is around the country. Before Cal came here as coach, he wasn't very well liked on this board either. As in most cases, people will accept bad behavior when you are winning; however, it is seldom tolerated when you lose.

You really believe your nonsense!!
I’ll wait while you go find the one and dones on Duke’s 2010 title team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT