ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting musts for 2025.

Amen! Pope has made it clear that it has to mean something to put on the Kentucky Jersey. There is one thing I will agree with Cal about, Kentucky isn’t for everyone!

Pope moved on very quickly from Osobor when he wanted a crap ton of money and didn’t want to make a quick decision when a very good Brandon Garrison stepped up and said “I want the opportunity to play for Kentucky”.

As much as I would love to have him, the players must be a good fit. I am sure other coaches are telling him he won’t get as many minutes in this system and they are probably right. However, it isn’t about the minutes, but what you do with them. He could be really efficient and scor 15/game or look like Wagner did at times because he was promised a starting role regardless of how much he sucked.
According to Andrew Carr Brandon is going to be a special player really glad we got him I like his size

Will be interesting to see how many frosh Pope takes in this class. We are already going to have three young players that will be sophomores. If he takes those three mentioned then that is almost half the team with really young guys. He has offered three very talented point guards aside from Johnson so have to think he will take one of those. He has offered Bundalo and Cenek, two great fours that anybody would want. Garrison and Oweh would be the only older guys left so have to think he takes two to three transfers? Just don't want that transition year of young, weaker and inexperienced players being the bulk of the roster.
You mean like the roster has been for the last 15 years. Three freshmen will be fine. We don’t wanna end up like UL replacing out entire rosters every year with transfers.

Not going to be a popular statement but " It is all about the money for most of these kids today". Even some of the Ky kids. Playing for the home school went out the window when the NIL came along.

Agree for the most part, but I still think programs matter. For example if Kentucky and Memphis are offering the same, or maybe even Memphis offer a little more, Kentucky is the bigger brand in the better conference. I think kids and their parents : handlers still prefer the big time programs just not as important as 20 years ago.

Also think programs for the most part all offer around the same as each other save a few situations. It’ll balance out that way in the end anyway. So when the money is similar everywhere the best brands should still get the best players. Could be wrong but I feel like there’s some common sense in there.

You mean like the roster has been for the last 15 years. Three freshmen will be fine. We don’t wanna end up like UL replacing out entire rosters every year with transfers.

Nope. That’s why keeping in state kids like Noah and Perry are so important. Their NIL opportunities here are better im sure, I mean average / above average Kentucky born players should get more from us than the rest. They’re more likely to hang around until jr / senior years making them pretty valuable. I think this is why Pope wanted Noah and will continue to ring the bell of those 3/4 star Kentucky boys.

Sometimes you end up with Stockton, sometimes you end up with Lofton. But in this era we need in state players more than ever. Especially the ones that are gonna hang. Could be wrong. End up with 3-5 really good upperclassman that are also Kentucky born, it helps breed that continuity we’ve been lacking.

Agree for the most part, but I still think programs matter. For example if Kentucky and Memphis are offering the same, or maybe even Memphis offer a little more, Kentucky is the bigger brand in the better conference. I think kids and their parents : handlers still prefer the big time programs just not as important as 20 years ago.

Also think programs for the most part all offer around the same as each other save a few situations. It’ll balance out that way in the end anyway. So when the money is similar everywhere the best brands should still get the best players. Could be wrong but I feel like there’s some common sense in there.
You could be right ... I hope you are but there are some that wants all the money they can get.

Reactions: Killswitch24
Will be interesting to see how many frosh Pope takes in this class. We are already going to have three young players that will be sophomores. If he takes those three mentioned then that is almost half the team with really young guys. He has offered three very talented point guards aside from Johnson so have to think he will take one of those. He has offered Bundalo and Cenek, two great fours that anybody would want. Garrison and Oweh would be the only older guys left so have to think he takes two to three transfers? Just don't want that transition year of young, weaker and inexperienced players being the bulk of the roster.
Oweh, Garrison, Chandler, Noah, and Perry should come back. If there are no other transfers, Pope should add 7 new freshmen. That would leave one open, or "floating", scholarship as a contingency.

Oweh, Garrison, Chandler, Noah, and Perry should come back. If there are no other transfers, Pope should add 7 new freshmen. That would leave one open, or "floating", scholarship as a contingency.
It’s hard to say, but this seems like a good strategy for this recruiting cycle, since the class is so talented and deep. Get as many as you can.

That’s probably the best scenario long term, but adding at least one maybe two portal guys wouldn’t be a bad idea for next season.

I would add six recruits to go with the five returnees. Then use the last two scholarships for impact portal players.

I would like to see him add a Portal PG. I have never liked relying on a Freshman at the Point.

And a physical veteran Portal PF would be nice to have in the SEC.

I hope we lock up Johnson and Moreno soon. I could see this being the makeup of the team next season.

G Portal/Recruit
G Johnson/Perry/Recruit
G Oweh/Chandler/Noah
F Portal/Recruit/Recruit
F Garrison/Moreno

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
When are people going to stop thinking anyone should come back, especially this team because we have seen basically nothing from the ones at Ky for those who have remaining eligibility. We know we will have to replace at least 7 and see where we end up after the season is over next year. Oweh and Garrison could have breakout years and if so are likely to go pro or at least see what there value is in the portal. Also, if they have breakout years, Ky is likely to have a great year.

When are people going to stop thinking anyone should come back, especially this team because we have seen basically nothing from the ones at Ky for those who have remaining eligibility. We know we will have to replace at least 7 and see where we end up after the season is over next year. Oweh and Garrison could have breakout years and if so are likely to go pro or at least see what there value is in the portal. Also, if they have breakout years, Ky is likely to have a great year.
I think the staff has to recruit as if they will be back and if they leave, go to the portal for adequate replacements.

Moreno down to eight teams and we made the cut. Said to be the number 1 center in the country and ranked somewhere between 15-20, just outside of five star status.

I think Moreno will be our first ‘25 commit. Followed by Johnson. Fingers crossed.
I hope you are right. He is someone who is good, but is no where near as good as he could be. Would love to see his development after 2-3 years with a consistent 15’-18’ shot and high end passing from the pick-n-roll, above average rim protector/rebounder. Surround him with 3-n-D guys. That could be special!

I hope you are right. He is someone who is good, but is no where near as good as he could be. Would love to see his development after 2-3 years with a consistent 15’-18’ shot and high end passing from the pick-n-roll, above average rim protector/rebounder. Surround him with 3-n-D guys. That could be special!
Good situation for him if Garrison returns and he can learn behind him as a Freshman and maybe as a Sophomore, before he has to be the man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT