ADVERTISEMENT

Was John Wall the best guard to play at Kentucky

Maybe not.
Macy, Beard, Dampier, Epps and Turner all better imo. Not as flashy. Fox was great as were Ulis and Murray. Delk was great

Johnny Cox was good. So many. Roger Hardin and Ed Davender were solid as was Rondo and Sparks. Adrian Smith and Vern Hatton were champs.

One home state underrated guard I liked was Larry Johnson.

It's either Ulis or Wall.

Tyler Ulis:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tyler-ulis-1.htm

72 games
PTS 11.3, TRB 2.4, AST 5.3, STL 1.2
TOV 1.5, PF 1.7
FG% 42.7, FG3% 37.1, FT% 84.6, eFG% 49.9
WS 11.3

Consensus first-team All-American (2016)
Bob Cousy Award (2016)
SEC Player of the Year (2016)
SEC Defensive Player of the Year (2016)
First-team All-SEC (2016)
SEC All-Freshman Team (2015)
SEC tournament MVP (2016)

John Wall:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/john-wall-1.html

37 games
PTS 16.6, TRB 4.3, AST 6.5, STL 1.8
TOV 4.0, PF 1.9
FG% 46.1, FG3% 32.5, FT% 75.4, eFG% 50.3
WS 6.3

Adolph Rupp Trophy (2010)
Consensus first-team All-American (2010)
USBWA National Freshman of the Year (2010)
SEC Player of the Year (2010)

It's close but I'll always go with John Wall. Seeing him at BBM was epic and the sign that UK was back.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Maybe not.
Macy, Beard, Dampier, Epps and Turner all better imo. Not as flashy. Fox was great as were Ulis and Murray. Delk was great

Johnny Cox was good. So many. Roger Hardin and Ed Davender were solid as was Rondo and Sparks. Adrian Smith and Vern Hatton were champs.

One home state underrated guard I liked was Larry Johnson.
In what world is Anthony Epps better than John Wall? Epps was never even the best guard on any of his teams.

Reactions: UK90
Been a lot of names dropped here but one I've not seen that deserves to be in the conversation is Meeks. Dude scored 23.7 ppg on good efficiency when he was one of the only options to score and defenses KNEW he was going to be shooting.

But agree with most that Wall and 96 Delk are pretty much the top choices from my lifetime.

Last edited:
John Wall is the best point guard in a single season.

Delk's senior season was the best from a guard.

I'm taking freshman Wall and senior Delk against any combo you guys can come up with.

Rondo - final answer.

If I had to try to beat Wall and Delk, I'm probably throwing Rondo out there at one spot because he's probably the best choice for being able to defend against them. And was phenomenal at getting to the basket, setting up his teammates. Hell, Rondo + Meeks could give them a run for their money.

Reactions: Blouman
Outside of shooting JW was far and away the most skilled player we’ve ever had, especially if you go by pound for pound or inch for inch.

But shooting is kind of a big deal.

Regarding RR, there’s a big difference between how skilled Rondo was at UK and how Rondo was used at UK.

Without question, Wall was the best PG we've ever had.

Many will say Ullis, because he's a heartfelt favorite player, but Wall could take over a game. Ullis was a bit of a liability on defense. You could put him in a screen and take any shot you wanted. The 4 always had to help.

Wall was the only PG that ive seen catch lobs and dunk on people. Fox did a little bit, but Wall would just poster you.

We've also never had a PG like Wall that could take a rebound and run through the entire defense and dunk it. Wall could also block anyone, from a guard to a center. One of my favorite plays was when he blocked UT's 3 pointer and nearly palmed it.

I cant believe this is even debatable....

others may have better resume
maybe even better all around players
but as far as talent wise wall is the greatest imo
and maybe the most fun to watch also

Define “best”.
Are we talking most talented, most productive, biggest winner, biggest impact?

Wall is in the conversation, as is Ulis, Macy, & some of the older guys.

Reactions: fatguy87
Even taking only "modern" guys, I'd put Rondo and Delk ahead of him, and Dampier going further back

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT