ADVERTISEMENT

Was Jackson's fumble ....

the biggest break UK has "ever" received in football?

Think about it, UK is usually giving the breaks rather than receiving them.

I mean if Jackson just takes 3 knees U of L would have won with a FG.

When you consider the situation, who the fumble was against and the fact that it propelled UK into one of the five biggest bowl games in its history I don't think any of you can name a bigger break.

I know I catch a lot of hell on this board for my "greatest ever" threads but its just me and I think I'm spot on with this one.

Thoughts?
I hadn't thought about that. You might be right. It might be the biggest break UK ever got in football. If not the biggest, then it's got to be darn close to it.

I hold that the biggest break we've ever received was the "no call" on interference on Stevie Johnson's OT TD against LSU in 2007. The route was one continuous chicken fight until SJ shoved the defender (who was holding him as I recall) at his break to the back pylon. He almost fell down coming out of the contact with the DB. Anytime I start to give in to SEC officiating conspiracy theory, I think of that play. We caught a break on that play, the official basically sitting the play out because both players were all over one another.

Petrino said his read told him to give it to a RB.

I think the Favre TD pass was second worst break for UL or at least in running for second. Remember, kind of like Snell's inopportune fumble, the other team must capitalize. The pain of the Favre pass and Rutgers gaff were almost immediate.
Yeah, I heard that but I still don't get the "read" angle. "Read" (at least to me) implies you either "read" the defensive set and automatically go to a play option designed to attack that set or you leave 1 guy unblocked and attack that player with some kind of give or keep decision. I just do not see that.

Cards are in a "double wing" pistol set and the Cats in a 5-2 front. In a pistol set the QB must open up to one side or the other to mesh with the RB so any "read" must be a player on the side to which he opens (on this play, to his left). This type of action is more like the old triple option playbook where every option read (dive, keep, pitch) was sequential and on one side of the defense.

Jackson opens left and meshes with the RB. He cannot see the back side so any read is on the side to which he opened. On snap both wings flow left but neither engages the force player (OLB/DE #41)on that side and no one engages the ILB (#51) on that side. So Jackson pulls the ball and runs straight into not one but 2 unblocked defenders? No matter how good you are you cannot "read" 2 defenders at the point of attack.

The play strikes me as a "give the ball and carry out your fake" play rather than a true "read" type play. To that end, the backside (the right) was well blocked and a running lane appeared to be opening. Or maybe there were multiple blocking errors against a very standard defensive alignment. IDK. I'll ask Petrino the next time I see him! [laughing]

I saw the Favre pass and other than the bounce off the helmet of the DB aspect it was "just another shocking last play of the game loss", not unlike the Bluegrass Miracle win for LSU in 2002. But the Rutgers loss knocked the Cards out of a sure fire #2 BCS ranking (and the playoff game spot) assuming they finished undefeated. It has been demonstrated that the only way an undefeated Cardinal team could have been excluded from the #2 spot in the final raking would have been for the opinion pollsters to suddenly drop the Cards from a season long Top 10 status to somewhere in the 20s or so.

Peace

Heisman Trophy winner hands UK the 2016 Governers Cup.
Lamar_zpsjulqmhsb.jpg

The actual fumble was a result of Jackson trying to make a hero play when nothing was there. If it was a "read" play I have absolutely no idea what he was reading when he pulled the ball.

UofL left 2 unblocked defenders on that side so I am inclined to think it was meant to be a cut back play for the RB to the opposite side but for some reason he pulled it and ran straight into the defense. You never really know but it sure looked like a running lane was opening up for Radcliff to the opposite side.

When he tried to spin away from the unblocked defenders (OLB and ILB) he lost the ball. The fumble itself was the result of his season long "loaf of bread" ball carrying habits. If he just secures the ball, goes down and takes the 3 yard loss, no big deal.

IMO, he just made a bad individual play when the game was on the line and UK took advantage of it. Just the way it goes sometimes. Props to the Cats for taking advantage.

I don't know if it was one of the biggest breaks ever for the Cats but it was the second worst ever for the Cards. (Off side on missed FG at Rutgers in 2006 was the worst. Had they won that one and still stayed undefeated for the rest of the year they were headed for the then BCS playoff game.)

Peace
Coulda Woulda Shoulda.. it's karma..uavel never belonged in a playoff game.LJ the Steve Bartman of Loserville football.

I thank maybe the Ville would have won if he had not fumble the ball the cats was lucky, but being lucky sometime is very than being good, but after that Ky did what they needed to do to win..

Jackson loses the ball a lot when he hits the ground. I know of 3 in our game where he lost it after being down. With that said you have to say we have them a huge break with the benny fumble

Yeah, I heard that but I still don't get the "read" angle. "Read" (at least to me) implies you either "read" the defensive set and automatically go to a play option designed to attack that set or you leave 1 guy unblocked and attack that player with some kind of give or keep decision. I just do not see that.

Cards are in a "double wing" pistol set and the Cats in a 5-2 front. In a pistol set the QB must open up to one side or the other to mesh with the RB so any "read" must be a player on the side to which he opens (on this play, to his left). This type of action is more like the old triple option playbook where every option read (dive, keep, pitch) was sequential and on one side of the defense.

Jackson opens left and meshes with the RB. He cannot see the back side so any read is on the side to which he opened. On snap both wings flow left but neither engages the force player (OLB/DE #41)on that side and no one engages the ILB (#51) on that side. So Jackson pulls the ball and runs straight into not one but 2 unblocked defenders? No matter how good you are you cannot "read" 2 defenders at the point of attack.

The play strikes me as a "give the ball and carry out your fake" play rather than a true "read" type play. To that end, the backside (the right) was well blocked and a running lane appeared to be opening. Or maybe there were multiple blocking errors against a very standard defensive alignment. IDK. I'll ask Petrino the next time I see him! [laughing]

I saw the Favre pass and other than the bounce off the helmet of the DB aspect it was "just another shocking last play of the game loss", not unlike the Bluegrass Miracle win for LSU in 2002. But the Rutgers loss knocked the Cards out of a sure fire #2 BCS ranking (and the playoff game spot) assuming they finished undefeated. It has been demonstrated that the only way an undefeated Cardinal team could have been excluded from the #2 spot in the final raking would have been for the opinion pollsters to suddenly drop the Cards from a season long Top 10 status to somewhere in the 20s or so.

Peace

I agree the Rutgers loss was #1. But, not sure why Jackson's fumble would be #2.

And, remember who caused that fumble. Your UK Wildcats.
I've been following them longer than many; not as long as some. Going back to the 60's, I've tried to think of a bigger break that went in UK's favor...many unlikely, even impossible breaks have gone against, but not many for. The Jackson fumble is certainly among the biggest, if not the biggest.

BBBLazing, how is that a break? If Marty had NOT fumbled, it would have been a break. I was at that game. If Marty had just went down, we would have won, but he tried to return it for a score, and we lost the game.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Really? the interception itself was the break. This isn't calculus. Clemson's quarterback threw it directly to our linebacker in the last minute or so of the game. That was a huge break. As big as any I remember in a big game. Just because we gave them one back doesn't mean that the interception wasn't a break. We did lose, I was there too.

I can name a lot of big breaks Kentucky has gotten, but you are too young to remember them. Suspension of a group of key players by Bobby Bowden prior to Kentucky's Music City Bowl victory over Florida State in 2007 in Bowden's 1st ever December bowl loss. Series of questionable holding penalties called against Alabama, directly leading to 40-34 Kentucky victory over Crimson Tide on October 5, 1997. In Kentucky's 10-7 win over Tennessee in 2011, the key play was Matt Roark's 26 yard run on 3rd and 12 in Kentucky's only TD drive of the day. Roark fumbled the football and Tennessee linebacker Ben Martin recovered. But the officials ruled Roark was on the ground before he fumbled. Tennessee challenged the call and replays showed Roark fumbled the football. But Kentucky retained possession when the officials decided their original ruling on the field should stand due to lack of clear evidence. Without that mistake, Kentucky would not have scored the TD and Tennessee probably would have won. I could name more, but my IPad is running out of power.
He is too young to remember the breaks you mention that happened in 1997 forward?

It was a good break for a UK and no doubt for Stoops it was really big. He needed this win in the worst way and it took the monkey off his back. 7-5 is so much better than 6-6.

For you guys talking about the Stevie Johnson TD against UL in my opinion the TD was a well run poorly defended play not luck. With that said the lucky break
in that game happened a few plays earlier. UL had 2nd a goal up 3 on the UK 1 yd line with about 2 min left. UL called a QB sneak and Brohm scored the TD

After the score there was a flag. The call was a UL WR on the far sideline lined up off sides. After the 5 yd penality UL had to get a FG giving Uk to win the game on the A Johnson play. Had UL scored the TD the Johnson play does not win the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT