ADVERTISEMENT

War of 1812

To illustrate how the Natives got screwed, one has to look at the Treaty of Ghent. The result of the treaty was that England and the US just basically called it quits........they each got to keep all the land and riches they had before the war. (All the lands and riches they "acquired" from the Natives)
Didn’t the Canadians burn down the White House ?

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Think he was more of a terrorist/revolutionary, using that standard then 9-11 qualifies as well

I guess to be absolutely 100% correct, then War of 1812 was last war in which US States (not territory which later became states, e.g. Hawaii in 1941 and Alaska) were occupied by regular uniformed troops (e.g., not revolutionaries or terrorists) of a foreign nation. Does that definition satisfy the Paddock history department? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Well, if we're going to be technical, Texas was admitted to the Union in 1845 but its southern boundary was disputed by Mexico as the more northern Nueces River versus the US saying it was the Rio Grande. So between 1845 & 1848, some Mexican troops occupied the disputed land area at times while we thought it was US territory..

Reactions: Tskware
"In 1814 we took a little trip ..." (it has a nice flow)

"In 1812 we took a little trip ..." (the flow is screwed up)
The Battle of New Orleans was fought on January 8, 1815... so for most is was still 1814 when they traveled to New Orleans

Reactions: CC_332
Didn't know the walls came down. I thought it was gutted but the walls remained standing.

Not sure actually- I bet you’re right though

Wasn’t there also a really freaky storm that blew up I THINK at that location that prevented the British forces from doing more than they did?

Wasn’t there also a really freaky storm that blew up I THINK at that location that prevented the British forces from doing more than they did?
Oh yeah ..... the Water Moccasins bit that kid from Ireland. Think he died.

I have read there was a big storm the day after the burning that at least in part caused the Brits to leave.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
I read where Jackson was told to give an accurate count of the dead for his battles in the war, so he ordered that all dead soldiers have their nose cut off so they would not miscount.

I read where Jackson was told to give an "accurate" count of the dead for his battles in the war, so he ordered that all dead soldiers have their nose cut off so they would not miscount.

Jackson is notorious for being very crooked and ruthless with his military and political career. This story doesn't surprise me from a "ruthless" standpoint......however, I doubt his voting record was quite as "accurate"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT