ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner Edwards

So you’ve determined this after seeing him as a starter how many times? Did you enjoy being down 5-0 to start the game again?
Well
Considering I didn’t know we were down five to start the game…we ARE in Vegas right now and had to get to a sports bar to watch…we came in when the Cats were up 14-12
And he did start the UNCW game, which we lost

Reactions: dl51344
Let me clarify something
Reed is my favorite player on this team
His basketball IQ is excellent, and he’s a unselfish player; his fundamentals are strong and he’s quite simply, fun to watch

So why do I think better off the bench although he’s more than earned a starting position?
Because I’ve watched him on the bench when a game starts…he’s observing everything going on and getting a gauge on how the other team is playing and what he needs to do when he comes in. He’s a game changer IMO in part due to those observations
Plus he seems to light a fire under the rest of our team

There are actually some serious lineup questions that still need to be ironed out throughout the entire team. Edwards clearly plays better at PF than SF. Thiero is such a utility piece that can play and defend 2-4. I’m not sold that Bradshaw and Mitchell together are our best lineup. Mitchell lately seems to be a little better playing Center then PF. We have 4 legit guards that all demand serious minutes. The one thing I do know 100% is we should never have two “non-shooters” playing at the same time and yet we keep playing Adou and Ugonna together.

Thiero was having back issues which is what sidelined him....but yeah..."sabotage". Goodness.

Who TF cares who starts? I care who PLAYS.

Wagner literally just won SEC Freshman of the week and hit two HUGE shots down the stretch to help us win vs. UNC, and we also got out to a hot start and took the early lead against UNC.

But yeah, the "experiment" should end.

There's about 20% of this board that are complete and total shitshow on a daily basis and it's wild to me.

We might be ranked in the Top 5 come Monday and people act like the sky is falling. Crying and sobbing in every thread "Wahhhhh my favorite player doesn't get to play for the jump ball wahhhh".

Who. TF. CARES. They ALL play. They are ALL happy. We are WINNING. The guys LOVE each other and cheer for each other's success.

The only "fans" who care about this stuff are on this board.

And I didn't hear them say SHIT after Wagner helped us take down UNC or Wagner won us the St. Joe's game.
University-6 agreed with you for the 6,000th time. You must be onto something.

Reactions: dl51344
Is this a real take? So you'd rather go down lets say 16-2 to purdue in the tournament?
Reed started the UNC-W game, and we STILL got off to a slow start. You guys like to push this narrative that the only reason we get off to slow starts is because Reed isn't starting. It's false. We've seen what happens when Reed gets the start. We don't have to play hypotheticals.

How pivotal to the team’s success was he tonight? I do believe if the dude blew out his knee and we were forced to play Reed and Dilly more, and give Thiero more time at the 3 - we’d be FINE - if not better.
LOL. This is such a stupid take.

We literally lost the 1 game DJ missed. It was also the one game that your precious Reed got to start. We still started slow. We lost.

But "We'd be better off without him." You can't believe the garbage that you post.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Reed started the UNC-W game, and we STILL got off to a slow start. You guys like to push this narrative that the only reason we get off to slow starts is because Reed isn't starting. It's false. We've seen what happens when Reed gets the start. We don't have to play hypotheticals.
Huh? I'm just saying that saying it doesn't matter who starts is a stupid ass take. You're generalizing. I haven't said start Reed over Wagner anywhere.

Huh? I'm just saying that saying it doesn't matter who starts is a stupid ass take. You're generalizing. I haven't said start Reed over Wagner anywhere.
I am NOT generalizing. I'm giving you a very specific example.

Reed starting would prevent the slow starts is the stupid ass take. We've seen it's not true.

Did you miss the UNCW game? Wagner’s absence was the reason we lost.
Learn the game.
This take is hilarious to me. Not knocking DJ but him being out was seriously the difference in winning and losing against UNCW? I don’t get that. How did we win tonight then? Because DJ did nothing tonight offensively or defensively.
We lost that game because our defense is HORRIBLE and we let them do anything they wanted.
You should have been able to have taken any player you wanted off our team out of that game for the night and still won that game.
There will be nights that the shots just aren’t falling and on those nights with the defense this team is currently playing they will more than likely lose.
One of the 7 footers has to develop or as Cal says come tournament time a team without a big man is a fraud.

This take is hilarious to me. Not knocking DJ but him being out was seriously the difference in winning and losing against UNCW? I don’t get that. How did we win tonight then? Because DJ did nothing tonight offensively or defensively.
We lost that game because our defense is HORRIBLE and we let them do anything they wanted.
You should have been able to have taken any player you wanted off our team out of that game for the night and still won that game.
There will be nights that the shots just aren’t falling and on those nights with the defense this team is currently playing they will more than likely lose.
One of the 7 footers has to develop or as Cal says come tournament time a team without a big man is a fraud.
That’s exactly why we lost to UNCW. Reed wasn’t prepared to run the offense at that particular stage of the season. Dillingham wasn’t either. Both their games were thrown off as a result. Reeves was adversely affected as well. UNCW guards were better than Louisville’s. We ran all over Louisville, got what we wanted. They even played some zone. UNCW’s guards played us tighter.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Soon as Reed and Dilly start, and we start a game slow, people will he making the same posts to start Wagner and Edwards. It's a vicious cycle.

Time to start Reed and Dilly.
No, no, no. Why do people want to mess w/ the formula when it's working? We've got 4 talented players inthat group, and 2 HAVE to be subs. Not every player has the mindset for this; Rob and Reed do, apparently, so why rock the boat? We've got to have DJ and Justin playing to their potential for this team to reach its zenith, and neither are killing us in the starting line=up. I would think the unc-w game would have shown you the value of having DJ in the lineup.

The starting lineup is fine but Calipari and the staff need to do a better job putting the players in a position to succeed.

With that lineup the offense should he getting Reeves and Mitchell open 3 looks and Wagner and Edwards slashing to get inside for layups or FTs and Bradshaw getting lobs and put backs and perhaps an open jumper.

The bench we have annihilates the other teams bench and I like that.

The starting group shouldn't have slow starts with the talent it has though.

The starting lineup is fine but Calipari and the staff need to do a better job putting the players in a position to succeed.

With that lineup the offense should he getting Reeves and Mitchell open 3 looks and Wagner and Edwards slashing to get inside for layups or FTs and Bradshaw getting lobs and put backs and perhaps an open jumper.

This isn’t the NBA where you have the second units going at it for long stretches. Reed and Dilly aren’t coming in and facing bench players. They’re typically coming into the game with the other team’s starting five still out there.

It seems a lot of the time the offense doesn’t get going until the subs come in. We have a bunch of good guards and each one is uniquely different from the next. Team defense is a problem that better get fixed or it won’t matter who’s starting.

Same shit for almost 4 months. Look at this thread, how many times have we been calling for him to start Reed and Dilly? Yet he keeps trying to keep DJ and Edwards drafted.

The starting line-up is NOT fine.

The starting lineup is the worst 5 player combo on the team. There is simply NO EXCUSE for Cal to keep playing some of these groups together and refusing to play the "Bennie" lineup together for more than two minutes a game.

That's just Cal being a stubborn @$$ and everyone that knows the game understands the stats that prove the best 5 player combo.

Those are the 5 players that should be starting and playing the majority of the minutes.
Someone finally had the courage to write an article about this "fine" starting lineup. Now, if someone in the media only had the balls to ask Cal directly why he refuses to play his best 5 players together for more than two minutes a game.
Ridiculous is the word for Cal's starting lineup AND his substitution "pattern". Not fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT