ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner can’t shoot!

I'd like to know who wanted that.

There is a huge difference in wanting 3 point shooters - aka Reeves and wanting players to have a green light. I think UK's fans reaction to Boston should have prevented you from making that statement
Is this your first day here?

Reactions: Graham51
He can shoot, he was just pressing and took really bad shots. Reeves can shoot and he went 3-17. These kids can have off nights, especially in the first big time game of his career probably.

Reactions: Cats192
He shot the ball well in Canada. Have you ever heard of a slump? The kid is a player. Because of a bad night that is irrelevant some of you are writing him off lol
Dude has had quite a few bad nights. I love when we see a pattern but some people act as if it has just been a fluke thing.

did the Boston comment give it away?
People been screaming for years that our system is outdated and we don’t play “modern basketball”. You asked who wanted that. Im
Just telling you, a lot of people. I don’t know how you could have missed that if you visit the board regularly

My high school coach Sat the starting five down. Showed us the shooting percentage of each of us. Two players stood out . Both got four year grant in aides to Division one programs. Our whole offense was designed for our two best shooters to shoot. My role was to set them up .
Why is that such a hard concept ? Wagner should never shoot a three with more than five seconds left on the shot clock. We have six or seven better shooters . If your better shooters take more shots you score more points . If you score more points you have a better chance of winning . It’s really not rocket science.

The rims in New Jersey have a bigger radius. He needs to adjust his launch angle to alter his trajectory

Reed is all around better player tan DJ right now, but he'll get better, needs to calm down and let things come to him.

But on Reed, is Cal the only one still thinking of Reed as a big player? Kid is one of the best 5 we have no doubt. Cal still seems surprised he does aa well as he does all the time
because ccc can not judge talent........he only goes by the number of stars by a kids name

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
In this particular game why did Wagner get a lot more minutes than Sheppard? Had their minutes been flipped we could have pulled it out. If a guy is off and it is not his night, play the guy that can give you more!
Stop!!! You’re making sense, that is called coaching we play our buddies kids. Have to showcase the 5 stars

In this particular game why did Wagner get a lot more minutes than Sheppard? Had their minutes been flipped we could have pulled it out. If a guy is off and it is not his night, play the guy that can give you more!
Exactly 💯, plus putting a guy out there who is obviously struggling doesn't do that player any favors either. Plus, they start taking selfish shots thinking ,"this will be the one that gets me going and it just snowballs.

All the calls in to Cal's show and not one can ask why all of the best players can't start and play the most minutes. Wonder how it feels for a player knowing he is one of the 5 best, maybe one of the two or three best overall players on the team yet he isn't allowed to start or play starters minutes? Being mistreated is not right and has to hurt feelings. Also hurts the team and the program. For some, it doesn't matter.

Dude has had quite a few bad nights. I love when we see a pattern but some people act as if it has just been a fluke thing.
I think hes played quite well so far.
We've only had what 3 games so far? If he plays great def all year like he has this far, and continues to get to the rim..... That's all we need him for

He needs to stop shooting. If not, he needs to find a place on the bench!
Wagner's only reason on the court should be to facilitate scoring for others and for defense. This kid will never be a reliable shooter but will continue chucking up shots for NBA reasons.

Cal will risk the UK basketball program to make sure Wagner succeeds.

This should surprise no one. Everyone knew this would be the situation when he recruited him.

He'll alienate some players while he does it too
We would have won last night if Wagner wasn't on the team to take bad shots at the worst possible time. Just to show everyone that Wagner wasn't the only one who could take bad shots, Edwards threw up probably the worst shot of the night and damn near even missed the floor.

At all. And has very little touch around the rim/in the paint. Disappointing for sure.

Hopefully he can progress similarly to how Marquis Teague did in 2012.

Wagner defends well: he was out of control on the offensive end it’s obvious he was nervous. He needed to be in down the stretch up 6 instead of dillingham. We needed to finish it out on the defensive end and dillingham was in foul trouble. The problem for Wagner is for him to be successful in big games cal is going to have to recognize and play who is on and who isn’t.
He was playing about 150 mph .

Reactions: UKortho
Trouble is he's never been known as a shooter.
Same thing with Edwards. People are coming up with roles in their heads for these kids, but refusing to objectively look at them. There's a huge difference between Dilly/Reed and Wagner/Edwards (ranked in athleticism and ability to read the game, from left to right). In MOST systems that's perfectly fine as the last two would be sat while they learn to play within themselves, but Cal doesn't build for the future.

Tre Mitchell shooting free th
Same thing with Edwards. People are coming up with roles in their heads for these kids, but refusing to objectively look at them. There's a huge difference between Dilly/Reed and Wagner/Edwards (ranked in athleticism and ability to read the game, from left to right). In MOST systems that's perfectly fine as the last two would be sat while they learn to play within themselves, but Cal doesn't build for the future.
Yeah, just saw this about Edwards on NBAdraft.net:

Weaknesses: Has room to get stronger in both upper and lower body … Can improve 3PT consistency, sometimes he finds the bottom of the net while other times he’s a few inches short of the rim.

This dude absolutely needs to be coming off the bench and figuring things out. But I imagine, when a center starts playing, Cal, in his infinite wisdom, slides Mitchell to PF and bring Thiero off the bench. Which would be a terrible move.

Tre Mitchell shooting free th

Yeah, just saw this about Edwards on NBAdraft.net:

Weaknesses: Has room to get stronger in both upper and lower body … Can improve 3PT consistency, sometimes he finds the bottom of the net while other times he’s a few inches short of the rim.

This dude absolutely needs to be coming off the bench and figuring things out. But I imagine, when a center starts playing, Cal, in his infinite wisdom, slides Mitchell to PF and bring Thiero off the bench. Which would be a terrible move.
Other reports I've seen have mentioned that he tends to dribble to one side, that he has a propensity to stand and watch the action, that he's limited in creating his own shot. From the get-go he's been assigned some sort of savior status by fans that's unwarranted. Fans on here want to talk about him needing to settle into a role, but him "settling in" isn't the problem.

The hallmark of a great coach is he evaluates his players and then puts the 5 guys on the floor who give you the best chance of winning. Can anyone who has watched UK basketball for the last few years say they believe Cal is doing that. If not then what the hell IS he doing.
Trying to showcase his NBA talent is what he's trying to do, at the expense of the program. I look forward to the national news that he's been fired. It will be upsetting for him, of course, because he will no longer be able to continue his 1-and-done agenda.

Trying to showcase his NBA talent is what he's trying to do, at the expense of the program. I look forward to the national news that he's been fired. It will be upsetting for him, of course, because he will no longer be able to continue his 1-and-done agenda.
But, oddly, Dilly is a pro prospect too. And perhaps goes higher than both. And Shepherd has the size and tools to be on the NBA radar. He's not just pumping his NBA talent - he's pumping CERTAIN NBA talent.

But, oddly, Dilly is a pro prospect too. And perhaps goes higher than both. And Shepherd has the size and tools to be on the NBA radar. He's not just pumping his NBA talent - he's pumping CERTAIN NBA talent.
Agreed. Dilly is the deal. Reed is cerebral, but from what I saw in the game isn't as athletic. He's just a really good basketball player, the kind that Cal should be build around but you know that won't happen. He'll either make it impossible for Cal to put him on the bench, or he'll be buried in favor of higher ranked 5* players. I hope he's able to overcome the Cal effect :/

Reactions: CincyUKFan
Here's the thing you clearly don't understand. It will be difficult for him to get drafted high in the first round unless he proves he can shoot, so Cal is going to let him shoot as much as he wants and hope it happens. That's it. That's the strategy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT