ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner 3pt shooting

He was shooting them too flat. If you watch the ones he still misses it's because they come out flat.

Edwards is the opposite. He's got a long stroke and gets too much air under his shot. I know he's got long arms and everything, but there's just too much motion in his shot. Imo, anyways.

He was shooting them too flat. If you watch the ones he still misses it's because they come out flat.

Edwards is the opposite. He's got a long stroke and gets too much air under his shot. I know he's got long arms and everything, but there's just too much motion in his shot. Imo, anyways.
Yes he was shooting them too flat. That is a common flaw is many guys. I pointed it out this summer. It does look better now. Often guys will shoot it flat trying to get the shot off quicker. I think him only shooting when he is wide open is helping him not rush his shot.

As for Edwards, there is no such thing as too much air under someone's shot, UNLESS they are too weak to shoot from that distance with that arc with a CONSISTENT amount of force (muscle memory). And I can't imagine that is the case.

Love it!

My recollection of the 2012 run was that a big part of it in the tournament was that Teague really hit his stride and knocked down some tough jumpers- we don't need Wagner to be as prolific from deep as Shep/Dilly/Reaves, but if he can be dangerous and hit shots when open/stretch the defense, it makes us so much better.

Very happy to see his jumper coming along.

Yes he was shooting them too flat. That is a common flaw is many guys. I pointed it out this summer. It does look better now. Often guys will shoot it flat trying to get the shot off quicker. I think him only shooting when he is wide open is helping him not rush his shot.

As for Edwards, there is no such thing as too much air under someone's shot, UNLESS they are too weak to shoot from that distance with that arc with a CONSISTENT amount of force (muscle memory). And I can't imagine that is the case.

Edwards' shot has too much going on in it. It takes him way too long to get through the motion. That in turn with how much arc he gets on it isn't a consistently repeatable shot. He needs to cut down on the arc and the motion of his stroke. It's way too much of a load up. He will never be a good 3pt shooter in his current form.

Edwards' shot has too much going on in it. It takes him way too long to get through the motion. That in turn with how much arc he gets on it isn't a consistently repeatable shot. He needs to cut down on the arc and the motion of his stroke. It's way too much of a load up. He will never be a good 3pt shooter in his current form.
Cut down on unnecessary motion, yes; cut down on arc, no.

EDWARDS’ elbow is not directly underneath the ball through follow-through, it seems to me. His elbow is tucked rib-side and rotation is not 12-6 on the ball in flight.

200.gif
All about timing with the rim :D

I actually remember you pointing that out.

His shot selection has been great, and he’s been stepping into them and ripping the nets. You can tell the confidence is there and he’s starting to show that he effectively create shots too. He was clearly the 4th best guard by performance when the season started. Now it feels like all 4 are neck and neck. Before last game, I woulda said Rob’s performance had slipped but his big night against Missouri just might’ve bailed us out.

35% is good enough from Wagner.

Thing is, his shot looks different every time - rotation, arc, form, all of it. Probably a result of being so damn talented at such a young age, he could do whatever he wanted and score at-will .... but that shot from 3 is what will keep him in or out of the NBA long-term.

Since his first 3 games (1-9), Wagner has made 38.2% (13-34) of his 3’s.
Yeah, he's been shooting better. He's made some daggers in some recent games. And it makes this team even better, of course. 38% is pretty good. He's not shooting like Reeves, Dillingham, or Sheppard (who is?), but with the combination of his ability to take the ball to the goal so effectively, it makes him a very dangerous player. And those guys are just getting started. It's amazing to me that this trio of guards are all freshmen. That doesn't happen- getting multiple freshmen from a single class performing at such a high level. This group is special.

Yeah, he's been shooting better. He's made some daggers in some recent games. And it makes this team even better, of course. 38% is pretty good. He's not shooting like Reeves, Dillingham, or Sheppard (who is?), but with the combination of his ability to take the ball to the goal so effectively, it makes him a very dangerous player. And those guys are just getting started. It's amazing to me that this trio of guards are all freshmen. That doesn't happen- getting multiple freshmen from a single class performing at such a high level. This group is special.
Yes, if he's just a threat from there so you have to guard him, that's enough to either free up our really good shooters OR get his man tight enough on him that he then can more easily drive to the goal.

I agree with the earlier poster that if Wagner hits 35% that is fine since the rest of his game is excellent.

With Edwards, I think the last half of his shot is excellent(the release and follow through are good), but there is something not good going on at the start of the stroke. He is starting out with his left hand pointed straight to the right and beginning to point towards the hoop during the second half of the shooting stroke. To me it seems that would make it hard to aim and I've never noticed a great shooter doing it that way.

Awesome to see him knocking down these threes. If he continues to improve, he may be our highest drafted guy. Wish he would look to kick out to open 3 point shooters at times when driving. He pretty much puts his head down and the defense knows where he's going. Of course he's finishing at a high rate also!

Love it!

My recollection of the 2012 run was that a big part of it in the tournament was that Teague really hit his stride and knocked down some tough jumpers- we don't need Wagner to be as prolific from deep as Shep/Dilly/Reaves, but if he can be dangerous and hit shots when open/stretch the defense, it makes us so much better.

Very happy to see his jumper coming along.
Teague was especially clutch against KU in the title game. Hit a couple of huge baskets down the stretch.

Some time back this season Cal was trying to get Wagner to put more arc on the ball and I think it is working. His shooting is so much better these last few games.

Reactions: grevey35
I think he has excellent form. With him, it's all about timing and shot selection. I *love* Wagner and am glad he's a Cat.
I think his shot looks odd. It’s definitely not smooth or consistent. I don’t know if it’s his legs or if he’s double clutching or something. I’ll have to watch some film. Could just be my imagination.

Reactions: bigbluelou
The bad thing about Edwards is teams are laying off him like they did Wheeler and Briscoe. He is wide open and has all day to shoot and he is still missing. Of course, it is making the rest of his game harder for him.

hmmm you might be able to help me my nba2k jumper

I think his shot looks odd. It’s definitely not smooth or consistent. I don’t know if it’s his legs or if he’s double clutching or something. I’ll have to watch some film. Could just be my imagination.
This. His shot is not pretty.

Don’t get me wrong, if he’s making it I don’t care how he shoots. He has a hitch in there.

Having 4 guys who can make 35 to 45% and drive and score or drive and dish is hard to defend. That is what the Cats have going on this year.

DJ doesn't need to shoot over 3 or 4 a game. He shot 5 today and only made 1. He is so much better at driving, but he MUST improve on getting fouled when he drives. He is still avoiding contact at the rim. Taylor shot 12 FT's today and made 11. That's how he scored 31 instead of 24.

Tre is just playing too many minutes. It is effecting his 3 pt shot. Adou being out is wearing Tre out.

DJ doesn't need to shoot over 3 or 4 a game. He shot 5 today and only made 1. He is so much better at driving, but he MUST improve on getting fouled when he drives. He is still avoiding contact at the rim. Taylor shot 12 FT's today and made 11. That's how he scored 31 instead of 24.

Tre is just playing too many minutes. It is effecting his 3 pt shot. Adou being out is wearing Tre out.
DJ hits a step back and thinks that’s a good shot that he should take 4 more times.

• Sad
Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT