ADVERTISEMENT

VT's Kerry Blackshear enters transfer portal

As close to the vest that Cal plays things, recruitment, injuries, etc.. Blackshear or Cal will not let anyone know a thing, just hope Cal gets in on him before Duke and North Carolina comes calling. Not sure if either one has room for him, Duke already signed Carey and Hurt, bringing back seniors Bolden and Delaurier, have Antonio Vrankovic coming off the bench.. North Carolina already signed Bacot, brings back Garrison Brooks, Huffman, Manley, Brandon Robinson.. Blackshear will not want to mess with Kansas or what is going on there.. Unless some other school comes around like a Texas Tech or Arizona..

Hurt has not even announced his decision yet. I think he will announce this Friday.

The likely competetion will be - professional options, TAMU, Florida.

I understand the “secrecy” of these discussions, but I don’t believe UK has reached out as of yet. Or at least not as of last night.
Wouldn't TAMU or Florida basically be lateral moves for him? If that's the competiton, I'm confident we could land him.

Interesting comments -

Pitch is simple in my opinion:

1) Kentucky is the biggest stage in college basketball: NBA scouts watch Kentucky. Kentucky effect is obvious.
2) Team needs a legit inside scoring threat. Will have the ability to show that off.
3) Focus will be on developing his mid-range/3 point game just like we did with PJ Washington. Ability to play inside while also spacing the floor is attractive to NBA teams.
4) Can't guarantee the NBA but history shows Kentucky provides the best stage to get there

Cal must really dislike coaching players for more than one year. If he wants to coach upperclassmen, then he should recruit some that stay that long.

Cal must really dislike coaching players for more than one year. If he wants to coach upperclassmen, then he should recruit some that stay that long.

That's nearly impossible to predict. How many guys has he recruited that were forecast to be multi year guys, only to blow up and leave. The bottom line, once a player plays well at UK, hes a first rounder and hes gone. Doesn't matter what his high school rank was.

Reactions: coachcombs57
Wouldn't TAMU or Florida basically be lateral moves for him? If that's the competiton, I'm confident we could land him.

Tamu would be to follow Buzz.

Florida will be loaded next year at all positions other than the 5. I think that - and home town - may give Gators an inside track right now.

Reactions: kbmagill

Florida will be loaded next year at all positions other than the 5. I think that - and home town - may give Gators an inside track right now.
Thank you for your info...it’s going to come down to his priorities. If obtaining the highest possible draft slot is his number #1 goal then there is no other better place then UK. The “Kentucky Effect” is real and a rising tide floats all boats.

That's nearly impossible to predict. How many guys has he recruited that were forecast to be multi year guys, only to blow up and leave. The bottom line, once a player plays well at UK, hes a first rounder and hes gone. Doesn't matter what his high school rank was.
Exactly...Herro and SGA were both thought to be multiyear guys coming in, but worked hard, balled out and EARNED their pay days.

The fact that Tyler Ullis was a 1st round draft pick after two years at UK with his stature and physical measurable’s is astounding to this day. NOBODY else that size goes first round hardly ever. But he played well at UK and the NBA scouts trust Cal’s system to prepare guys for the NBA grind.

The fact that Tyler Ullis was a 1st round draft pick after two years at UK with his stature and physical measurable’s is astounding to this day. NOBODY else that size goes first round hardly ever. But he played well at UK and the NBA scouts trust Cal’s system to prepare guys for the NBA grind.

Tyler went in the 2nd round. But made the Suns roster anyway. Tougher way to go, but it was as high as he was going to get drafted whether he stayed at UK or not.

My early favorites to win the SEC next season. Tennessee and Auburn lose too much, Kentucky maybe if they sign Blackshear, but still not sold on perimeter scoring with them..

Well here is what i pieced together based on reading comments and reports from the media on here.

point 1 Blackshear is transferring and going thru the draft process. averaging almost 15 and 8 last season in the ACC.

Point 2 he isn’t on any draft boards radar not in the top 100 pro prospects

Point 3 Cal has reached out but hasn’t made personal contact yet!

Point 4 his former college coach is going to Texas AnM

So my speculation would say we run a great shot at this Kid! Here is why! He is a already playing in a big time conference and has more than hels his own vs top flight competition. Yet he isn’t on the NBAs radar. So if he doesn’t blow a team away enough at the combine but finds out what areas of his game he needs to work on. He will need the best place for that every other school with the exception of UK and Duke is pretty much a lateral move if his goal is to get to the nba.
His dad staying Cal needs to present a plan! well that is what Cal does! His success is unprecedented. He is the only coach who is turning four star guys and grad transfers into draft picks. So I think he is ours unless Cal decides he doesn’t fit for some reason.

That being said I’m not ready to give up on Richards and really not EJ. Richards just needs to block shots and not hurt us defensively as we will have scoring everywhere else. EJ is going to be special. He isn’t soft he isn’t lazy. That is jus fans on here with very poor skills in watching body language and effort away from the ball! The only thing wrong with EJ is he wasn’t sure and he lacked confidence. He can shoot in his his midrange game was considered a strength he just lacks confidence. His body language puts off frustration in himself not lack of motor funny thing is PJ Washington did have a problem with his motor both as a fresh and the first part of this past season he got better thru coaching yet not having a motor is why other fans say EJ won’t have a year like PJ did this season lol fans have short memories and don’t grasp players improve but get upset at the lack of immediate success by a younger player but want 4 year players! Lol

Kyle has a article up on the Atlantic, Cal nor anyone from UK has reached out to Kevin or his family yet but they have said they would like to hear from UK and if they did then UK would become a very viable option

Reactions: westerncat
Kyle has a article up on the Atlantic, Cal nor anyone from UK has reached out to Kevin or his family yet but they have said they would like to hear from UK and if they did then UK would become a very viable option

And here we stand at the crossroads at wait.

Will UK make "official" contact?

If the answer ends up being "no", how will this message board react?

Stay tuned...

[laughing]

EDIT: I think UK has reached out, by the way.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Then the KSR source was lying apparently that said UK had made contact. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

I think UK probably has reached out, but not directly to the pops yet.

I also think it's a huge positive that Blackshear's dad wants to talk to Calipari and that apparently other schools are low selling their family on being a "missing piece", an angle they're obviously not going for.

I still think we land the kid if UK truly wants him.

Reactions: ukfan041
Ulis was a 2nd round

If we can get Blackshear, I don't care what McDaniels is going to do. It will be a moot point for me.
Here is the problem with that logic. We should be pursuing both McDaniels and Blackshear, because there is room on UK’s roster for both. So far, though, there is no indication that Blackshear has significant interest in UK. And even if he does, both would have plenty of PT here. Blackshear is a 5, McDaniels is a 4.

Blackshear would immediately be the best big on UK’s roster. But Montgomery and McDaniels are both better, longer, more athletic players than Sestina or Nick. I’m not knocking Sestina, but he would not be much of a threat to Blackshear, McDaniels, or Montgomery.

What we can’t afford would be to miss on everyone this spring. With Travis, Washington, Johnson, and Herro gone, and with Allen recovering from major surgery, we need more players.

My early favorites to win the SEC next season. Tennessee and Auburn lose too much, Kentucky maybe if they sign Blackshear, but still not sold on perimeter scoring with them..
Best teams to start the year next season in the SEC IMO
1. UK
2. Auburn
3. UT
4. FL

Alabama may actually be better then Florida.

Well here is what i pieced together based on reading comments and reports from the media on here.

point 1 Blackshear is transferring and going thru the draft process. averaging almost 15 and 8 last season in the ACC.

Point 2 he isn’t on any draft boards radar not in the top 100 pro prospects

Point 3 Cal has reached out but hasn’t made personal contact yet!

Point 4 his former college coach is going to Texas AnM

So my speculation would say we run a great shot at this Kid! Here is why! He is a already playing in a big time conference and has more than hels his own vs top flight competition. Yet he isn’t on the NBAs radar. So if he doesn’t blow a team away enough at the combine but finds out what areas of his game he needs to work on. He will need the best place for that every other school with the exception of UK and Duke is pretty much a lateral move if his goal is to get to the nba.
His dad staying Cal needs to present a plan! well that is what Cal does! His success is unprecedented. He is the only coach who is turning four star guys and grad transfers into draft picks. So I think he is ours unless Cal decides he doesn’t fit for some reason.

That being said I’m not ready to give up on Richards and really not EJ. Richards just needs to block shots and not hurt us defensively as we will have scoring everywhere else. EJ is going to be special. He isn’t soft he isn’t lazy. That is jus fans on here with very poor skills in watching body language and effort away from the ball! The only thing wrong with EJ is he wasn’t sure and he lacked confidence. He can shoot in his his midrange game was considered a strength he just lacks confidence. His body language puts off frustration in himself not lack of motor funny thing is PJ Washington did have a problem with his motor both as a fresh and the first part of this past season he got better thru coaching yet not having a motor is why other fans say EJ won’t have a year like PJ did this season lol fans have short memories and don’t grasp players improve but get upset at the lack of immediate success by a younger player but want 4 year players! Lol

! ! !!! !!!!! ! !!!! ! and !

He ain't getting drafted if he isn't in the Top 100 prospects this year. Cal's pitch should be, you want to get to the league, that's what I do LOL. I mean I think everyone knows UK adds to your name and is the most successful at getting kids to the league way before they normally would and probably higher than they would usually go somewhere else. Blackshear is exactly what this team needs, Cal has been chasing it through reclass options and recruiting trips and now here he is as a senior ready to go. To think he isn't in on this guy is crazy. I think both sides are trying to play hard to get to start out. You don't want to just come in and drop your pants, there's going to be some foreplay, but hopefully not much. I'm hoping Cal talks to his dad today or sets something up by the end of the day before every team in the country is in this.

This is looking like Florida, folks.
(Presuming he plays college ball next year.)
So he's going to FL because he is from there? How many times is that a factor with a grad transfer who already left home and only has 1 year left and whose main goal is to get to the NBA? Hometown shouldn't mean squat. This is a business decision and from a podcast I listened to yesterday FL is in need of a 3 or a 4, can't remember which, but they talked about how they are in with a few and it might be a while on Blackshears decision and how they might lose those others guys if they wait and end up with nothing. Doesn't FL had multiple centers on their roster and almost a full roster? I don't think FL has an advantage over us just because he is from there. It is all about who gives me the best chance at the NBA in the best way and that's it.

Reactions: jrc333 and Mr_GG
I would guess not, considering his name is Kerry, not Kevin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT