ADVERTISEMENT

Vecenie updates NBA mock draft

JFCats22

All-American
Feb 3, 2015
Interesting that it's Dilly who dropped but not Reed.

Edwards makes sense, he has shown a lot of scoring ability in the last few weeks. I think he goes, and that's a great spot to be in, late 1st round pick where you're going to go to a winning franchise most likely.

Dillingham at #9 would be the steal of the draft, and that’s saying something!

I honestly do not know who I’d pick first, Rob or Reed, because they are both going to have equally long careers. Also, I don’t think Z goes undrafted, GM’s know he isn’t being used to his full potential, just as they know Rob and Reed are lottery picks even though they both come off the bench, because Cal is quite possibly the most bird-brained dufus HC of all time.

Reed is one of my fave all-time Cats. Absolutely love the guy.

But I have concerns about his NBA longevity. His athleticism just doesn't appear to be NBA level. His lateral quickness is suspect. And in the NBA you have to be able to get your shot off one-on-one and Reed is a spot up shooter.

But what do I know...

At the beginning of the year, if somebody would’ve told us that one of Reed and Wagner would be pick #4 and the other would be projected undrafted, I wonder what percentage would’ve assumed Wagner as the lottery pick…wild stuff
Like the Harrison twins, Wagner would have been better off being born 20 years earlier when players could jump straight to the NBA from high school.

The one year in college shows that DJ is a very good player but not elite.

Like the Harrison twins, Wagner would have been better off being born 20 years earlier when players could jump straight to the NBA from high school.

The one year in college shows that DJ is a very good player but not elite.
DJ's game just doesn't translate to today's NBA. Maybe he can get there, maybe not. He just doesn't shoot it nearly well enough. His 3 percentage is terribly low given the 3s he takes (almost always H-O-R-S-E shots he's got as much time as he wants to shoot) and he makes absolutely nothing off of a pullup. If he were some 4-star from Kentucky he'd be Rob and Reed's backup and this team would be in a better place.

Everything could change if we have a great NCAA tournament run. It could improve the draft status of individuals on the team. Hopefully they can get us to the final four.

I honestly do not know who I’d pick first, Rob or Reed, because they are both going to have equally long careers. Also, I don’t think Z goes undrafted, GM’s know he isn’t being used to his full potential, just as they know Rob and Reed are lottery picks even though they both come off the bench, because Cal is quite possibly the most bird-brained dufus HC of all time.
Agree on Rob. I think he will be an NBA all-star, or at least snub-level. Iverson meets Trae Young.

Z has shown enough that with his size a team will take him at least 2nd half of 2nd round, knowing he will spend all of next year in the G-league getting polished.

Reed I could see dropping to the 10-15 range. Not due to skill. Due to lack of strength and quickness. He would get manhandled by NBA (Men). I know Rob is not stronger, but they got to catch him to manhandle him. I actually think there is a decent chance (50-60%) Reed returns.

Reactions: susan2361
DJ's game just doesn't translate to today's NBA. Maybe he can get there, maybe not. He just doesn't shoot it nearly well enough. His 3 percentage is terribly low given the 3s he takes (almost always H-O-R-S-E shots he's got as much time as he wants to shoot) and he makes absolutely nothing off of a pullup. If he were some 4-star from Kentucky he'd be Rob and Reed's backup and this team would be in a better place.
Hard to argue with any of that

Z gets a ton of love on this board but i honestly just don't see it.He could get pushed around by a midget and doesn't even attempt D.
That’s what I’m thinking. If you can’t match up against a bubble team’s bigs like A&M, what’s Joel Embiid or KAT gonna do to him?

Reactions: jmw23712
I think there will be some changes in the draft after the NCAAT due to some guys blowing up on different teams. Big Z is not being used correctly IMO as he is not a 5 but should be use facing the basket as a 3 or 4.
I truly believe there is chance of Reed returning next year. Just my opinion. As for DJ and the rest they all need another year but we all know that most likely will not happen.

But I have concerns about his NBA longevity. His athleticism just doesn't appear to be NBA level. His lateral quickness is suspect. And in the NBA you have to be able to get your shot off one-on-one and Reed is a spot up shooter.

But what do I know...
Sheppard has a nice pull up jumper and can hit layups with both hands. His bb intuition is off the charts. NBA teams could be looking for an assist guard who also is a scorer. He only needs a few years in the NBA before he retires and comes back to be Kentucky’s Governor, lol.

Sheppard is a high-floor low-ceiling guy. However, shooting is a premium and he has a great basketball IQ.

Dillingham probably has the highest potential of any college basketball player right now.

Edwards has shown flashes some lately. I expect him to go, but I think a second year could be a huge turning point for him.

Wagner probably is a second round pick, but could go up if he stuck around another year. The NBA is a guard-oriented league and the trick is being good enough to get that second contract. Minus getting white hot in the tournament or something, I would return if I was him. However, that hasn't been our culture.

Reeves could be a really good scorer off the bench in the NBA. He can shoot and is real crafty. He may surprise us how long he may stick around the league.

Bradshaw needs to return. You see some potential there, but that all it really is right now.

Z could be a top 10 pick next year, but probably a second rounder right now. Unless he shows out in a tournament run, he should return.

Ugo has made a big step this year from last year, but he needs another year.

But what do I know...
Reed is definitely more than just a spot up shooter. For whatever reason he doesn’t play as aggressive on the offensive end as he is capable of. In games he wanted to take over this year he did it without issue and I don’t recall him ever failing. He just hasn’t done it a lot. Does that translate to the next level, probably not right away but he is still growing in his game and that is certainly one thing that makes him an intriguing prospect.

IF Z goes and gets drafted in the NBA, he's going to be a 2-3 year down the road project rotational player until he gets stronger and that for an NBA team is a NO-BRAINER draft pick!!!!!!

The NBA drafts on immediate impact to their team or to store project picks. Whoever may draft Z are NOT drafting him to start next season or being a contributer, they are solely drafting on what skill he has for his size and what he could be in a few years.

Look at how thin OKC's Chet Holmgren currently is. He had a great season at Gonzaga, was drafted #2 weighing 195-lbs/ 7-1. He currently plays their "5" at 208-lbs/ 7-1. He luckily set out a year to rehab, gained muscle and got stronger. And some of his better games this year came against Denver where he's giving up 75-lbs. to Jokic.

I hope Z uses the next year or two at UK to improve on his weaknesses!!!

Z gets a ton of love on this board but i honestly just don't see it.He could get pushed around by a midget and doesn't even attempt D.
Yet is barely behind Ugo, the defensive stalwart in blocks (per 40 mins), out rebounds Ugo per 40, and measures third on the team behind Reed and Ugo in defensive metrics. Oh, and is third on the team in scoring per 40 behind Rob and Antonio. It's almost like your eye test, along with many others that have this same tired argument, sucks. Not to mention, he's 1/5 of like 4 of the 5 highest performing lineups on the team. But go on and tell us how you could push him around and he doesn't try on D.

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat

Z isn't in condition to go through the grind of an 82 game season. plus he's lost at times out there. I think he needs a full off season of conditioning and a full year without all the eligibility concerns and whatnot. i think another year here and he could play himself into a lottery pick. Right now he'd be a risk.

Reactions: NC Weasel
Agree on Rob. I think he will be an NBA all-star, or at least snub-level. Iverson meets Trae Young.

Z has shown enough that with his size a team will take him at least 2nd half of 2nd round, knowing he will spend all of next year in the G-league getting polished.

Reed I could see dropping to the 10-15 range. Not due to skill. Due to lack of strength and quickness. He would get manhandled by NBA (Men). I know Rob is not stronger, but they got to catch him to manhandle him. I actually think there is a decent chance (50-60%) Reed returns.
Why would Z be content to go play in the G-League for peanuts when he could come back and play his way into a lottery pick. he could figure out a way to get more NIL money similar to Oscar, and get more exposure playing another year then potentially make lottery money.

Yet is barely behind Ugo, the defensive stalwart in blocks (per 40 mins), out rebounds Ugo per 40, and measures third on the team behind Reed and Ugo in defensive metrics. Oh, and is third on the team in scoring per 40 behind Rob and Antonio. It's almost like your eye test, along with many others that have this same tired argument, sucks. Not to mention, he's 1/5 of like 4 of the 5 highest performing lineups on the team. But go on and tell us how you could push him around and he doesn't try on D.
Part of the reason Z has his defensive stats is that the coach handpicks who he plays against. I remember the story of Pitino and Jared Prickett. Prickett had decent stats, but that was because he played alongside Jamal Mashburn. Stats don't have some abstract force. They need context. Hey, I wish Z played more, too. Mostly because he's just an ordinary kid who just happens to be very tall. He smiles when he's happy. I'm sure 99% of the fans identify with him.

The question with DJ is would coming back actually help him improve his draft stock if his game is "outdated". The Harrisons were kind of in a similar position and coming back did not help them, and may have hurt them. Every weakness you mentioned with DJ can be improved upon once he's already in the league.

Yes but if he comes back he can be a lottery pick next year
Z has shown enough to where I think he will leave and get drafted, I'm just not sure he is gonna stick around, remember he has already put his name in the draft twice! Bradshaw absolutely needs to come back and we all know DJ should as well but I just don't see it, he will prob get a guarantee in the 2nd round like Livingston did.

Part of the reason Z has his defensive stats is that the coach handpicks who he plays against. I remember the story of Pitino and Jared Prickett. Prickett had decent stats, but that was because he played alongside Jamal Mashburn. Stats don't have some abstract force. They need context. Hey, I wish Z played more, too. Mostly because he's just an ordinary kid who just happens to be very tall. He smiles when he's happy. I'm sure 99% of the fans identify with him.
Agree to disagree on the competition. Hell, he didn't have the luxury of playing in the non-con. Of course, Ugo didn't really either. But save a handful of games their mins haven't been a ton different. Cal, along with a lot of olds, just refuse to see the metrics. It's his choice, but it's also to his and his teams detriment.

Z will likely have a great pro day where he hits 20 out of 25 threes and shows he has the ability to drive to the bucket. You know…all the things he’s not being asked to do now.

This isn't his first time going through a draft. He declared last year and had pro day type events.

Based off this, would we have a better chance of returning DJ than Reed?

Reading around, several UK insiders THINK we return Bradshaw, Ivisic, Thiero, Burks, one?? of DJ/Reed. That would be a home run for our roster next season.

Reactions: Zissou87 and K_TIME
Agree to disagree on the competition. Hell, he didn't have the luxury of playing in the non-con. Of course, Ugo didn't really either. But save a handful of games their mins haven't been a ton different. Cal, along with a lot of olds, just refuse to see the metrics. It's his choice, but it's also to his and his teams detriment.
How about play Z and Ugonna and see who’s best that day? Z gets too much love, but he’s been really bad on D. Ugonna is the best defensive big on the roster when he decides to show up.

He’s a poor man’s M. Teague and Teague didn’t stick either. Wagner needs to take huge strides in his range and shooting accuracy if he wants a long NBA career

Last edited:
Based off this, would we have a better chance of returning DJ than Reed?

Reading around, several UK insiders THINK we return Bradshaw, Ivisic, Thiero, Burks, one?? of DJ/Reed. That would be a home run for our roster next season.
I'd take it in a heart beat!

1. Having Reed back would be unreal good. But even a 2nd year DJ would still be a strong ball handler, improving defender and a shot at 35% + 3pt potential (We should all realize getting to share the court with Dilly, Reed or Reeves gets him some wide open looks that might not be playign with in 2025.
2. Ivisic....he's the 2nd most important to come back. Having a stretch 5 is a weapon you don't see in hardly any college squads. Put on 15 lbs or muscle and some seasoning to rebound and defend better...whoa baby.
3. Thiero....no reason UK should lose him regardless. A PF that can handle and play make who is that strong...is a spot we need.
4. Bradshaw....Keep getting stronger and maybe he can build up some athleticism (I am a bit taken back how unathletic he was this year at times)....and I think we can be a decent stretch PF on offense, improved rebounder and shot blocker.
5. Burks...love his potential....keeper for next few years.

Then filling around this kids with Fland, one of Knox/Richmond being a wing defender, Perry might fit nicely with this roster. I struggle to see how we play both Somto and Quantenance if Ivisic is back....but figure that out.

How about play Z and Ugonna and see who’s best that day? Z gets too much love, but he’s been really bad on D. Ugonna is the best defensive big on the roster when he decides to show up.
Except every metric says he's not really bad on D. At least relative to this team. And, he is in fact, really good offensively. I don't think he should play more than 20-25 mins a game, but that's because it's about all he's capable of physically.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT