ADVERTISEMENT

Vanderbilt?

Vanderbilt will give us so much more than Washington over time.

…….and just imagine a few weeks ago we had posts asking why even start Washington? What can he do blah, blah,blah?

Now Vanderbilt has become the UK internet fan's new whipping boy. Does the internet make fans stupid or does it merely advertise their stupidity?

Reactions: brianpoe
I'll be THRILLED if we get Richards and Vanderbilt back next year!!!!

Both of those guys are gonna be studs!!

Experience!!

That's all they need!!

As a matter of fact...

If we got Washington, SGA, Green, Richards, Gabriel, SKJ and Vanderbilt back, to go with our recruiting class...

Duke can HAVE their class, because I'll gladly take our team next year!!!

Reactions: jedwar and brianpoe
Who knows where things stand with these guys come April and the decisions they will have,
But if we get jones, Gabriel, Richards, and two of vando/PJ/Shai back then we will be ready to roll with the recruits coming in.

Tried to warn people not to expect too much for a bit. JV has played less than 30 minutes of college basketball...give him time to get acclimated

Exactly. He's not learning against Po-dunk State. He's playing competitive SEC ball in one of the best SEC leagues we've seen in years.

That being said, 38 minutes but 18 rebounds :sunglasses:

Reactions: Bkocats
Yes.

And people think it will somehow be beneficial if dude returns for next season. Please, please bolt for the league. This dude just doesn't have it upstairs and never will. He will never start in the league and the only thing he will be featured in is "Shaqt'n a Fool."

Yall do understand Richards hasnt been playing basketball that long!...People judge and compare all our guys to the past guys which isnt fair. Richards may need 2-3 years so what. But to call him a complete bust and will be on "shaqt'n a fool" is something a casual fan of the sport would say.

We can be brutal to players who don't measure up to our expectations, can't we? I'm not saying everyone is doing that, but we seem to have a good share of people who are.

#1 Vanderbilt: anyone who said this guy would come in and be our leading scorer simply didn't know much about him. Those who saw him in the all-star circuit and not just on mix tapes know what he brings. The reason I have been so excited for him to get into the mix is proven by his numbers from last night. He played 11 minutes and grabbed 7 rebounds. That's what he can give. He is a scrapper and an excellent defender. He can rebound. He can block shots. He can get steals. And yes, he will score around the basket. He can facilitate, though he hasn't had much opportunity to do so yet. Calipari will figure it out with Vanderbilt, without a doubt. I envision him getting the ball at the high post and driving or dishing to other guys for easy points. We have a set like that. If you put him at the 5 spot, he would have to be guarded by a power forward or center, and it would be tough for them to stay in front of him. Give it time, we will see his value.

#2 Richards: he's been mentioned in this thread by some in a negative light. Now, he's struggled, there is no question. Part of the problem is that Calipari doesn't have the luxury of being able to just let him play through it. He's got to win games. We also have many other guys on the team who have played better. So, that puts Richards in a tough spot. I can remember a young Willie Cauley-Stein struggling in a similar way his freshman season. I actually think Richards has more potential as a scorer. Anyone who knows basketball also knows that it often takes some time particularly for big men to develop. I personally would love to see Richards back for another season. When the light comes on for him, he has the potential to dominate.

Reactions: Cat in ga
I think the biggest thing that will occur now that we have Vanderbilt will be Washington stepping up his game so as to stay on the court.

I think the biggest thing that will occur now that we have Vanderbilt will be Washington stepping up his game so as to stay on the court.
When Washington makes up his mind to score he usually does. I would put him at the free throw line extended and run the offense through him the way UT does Williams.

When Washington makes up his mind to score he usually does. I would put him at the free throw line extended and run the offense through him the way UT does Williams.

Washington is a miserable passer, so not sure about that. Need him put in situations where all he's gonna do is look to score.

Green needs to get back to normal if we are gonna do anything going forward.

He’s missed a lot of time off the floor, unlike those who wrongfully thought that Vanderbilt would not look rusty, it’s happening with Green too. Give them time to get on the floor, they will be fine.

Reactions: Jazzycat
You are seeing reality. Cant shoot a lick, but does a lot else.
This guy made a living from that.....(Just hope PJ is not nearly as insane)
giphy.gif

I'll be THRILLED if we get Richards and Vanderbilt back next year!!!!

Both of those guys are gonna be studs!!

Experience!!

That's all they need!!

As a matter of fact...

If we got Washington, SGA, Green, Richards, Gabriel, SKJ and Vanderbilt back, to go with our recruiting class...

Duke can HAVE their class, because I'll gladly take our team next year!!!
This is what I expect to happen. I hope I am wrong. But I think we lose Gabriel he goes overseas for a payday. We probably lose Richards NBA drafts on upside think Skal. SGA probably gone as well. Vanderbilt,Knox and Diallo IMO are 100 % gone. I think we get Green,PJ and SKJ back.

You are seeing reality. Cant shoot a lick, but does a lot else.

That’s not what was said about him before his injury.

Prior to his injury, Vanderbilt posted 17 points and seven rebounds in the Jordan Brand Classic. His performances in the months leading to his arrival at Kentucky have been remarkable. He’s established himself as one of the best recruits coming into college basketball next year.

Reactions: Dablueman
He's played about 20 min of basketball this year....let's not brand him yet
Exactly. I think he's 1) rusty, 2) has a crazy motor and like you said, he just played his first 20 minutes of basketball in the NCAA. Sometimes it looks like he is going to jump out of the gym. He will be fine. Just super amped up - I'd rather have that than the passive play we see from others.

Reactions: sambowieshin
That’s not what was said about him before his injury.

Prior to his injury, Vanderbilt posted 17 points and seven rebounds in the Jordan Brand Classic. His performances in the months leading to his arrival at Kentucky have been remarkable. He’s established himself as one of the best recruits coming into college basketball next year.

WEAKNESSES - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jarred-Vanderbilt-7301/ ©DraftExpress

Struggles making shots from the perimeter really handicap him as a scorer in the half court. Defenders are able to sag off. Not a threat to pull up off the bounce. Really best as a slashing, playmaking 4 at the college level, but likely to be asked to play quite a bit of 3 at Kentucky due to their existing personnel. -Touch around the rim is quite limited. Very left handed. -

-
The biggest knock on Vanderbilt as a pro prospect is clear.

“He can’t shoot,” Givony said.

According to the draft analyst’s database of Vanderbilt’s statistics in several settings as a high school player, he was a 21 percent three-point shooter and a 44-percent free-throw shooter. Vanderbilt did show some improvement in his mid-range and outside shooting during practices leading up to postseason all-star events like the McDonald’s All-American Game and Nike Hoop Summit last spring, but, again, those were small sample sizes.

I am excited about Vanderbilt but that definitely appears to be his weakness. His shot is “broken” - the mechanics just look weird like a shot putt. Luckily, he appears to do everything else very well.

If he could turn out to be sort of a “Briscoe skill set” in an athletic big man’s body I would take that for sure.

I am excited about Vanderbilt but that definitely appears to be his weakness. His shot is “broken” - the mechanics just look weird like a shot putt. Luckily, he appears to do everything else very well.

If he could turn out to be sort of a “Briscoe skill set” in an athletic big man’s body I would take that for sure.

We don't need him to be a great shooter, anyways. We need him to do what he does best. Attack the rim, clean up the boards, get guys involved in the offense, and make all the hustle plays that he can. I love the energy he and Wenyen bring to the table. So glad he is in the rotation.

WEAKNESSES - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jarred-Vanderbilt-7301/ ©DraftExpress

Struggles making shots from the perimeter really handicap him as a scorer in the half court. Defenders are able to sag off. Not a threat to pull up off the bounce. Really best as a slashing, playmaking 4 at the college level, but likely to be asked to play quite a bit of 3 at Kentucky due to their existing personnel. -Touch around the rim is quite limited. Very left handed. -

-
The biggest knock on Vanderbilt as a pro prospect is clear.

“He can’t shoot,” Givony said.

According to the draft analyst’s database of Vanderbilt’s statistics in several settings as a high school player, he was a 21 percent three-point shooter and a 44-percent free-throw shooter. Vanderbilt did show some improvement in his mid-range and outside shooting during practices leading up to postseason all-star events like the McDonald’s All-American Game and Nike Hoop Summit last spring, but, again, those were small sample sizes.

He wasn’t a HS senior when the article I posted was written. It was written right after his injury, talk to anyone back then and they would tell you that his improvement was the greatest of all the recruits even Knox.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dablueman
He wasn’t a HS senior when the article was written. It was written right after his injury, talk to anyone back then and they would tell you that his improvement was the greatest of all the recruits even Knox.

He was considered a bad shooter before the Jordan game and practices. Just because he showed tiny glimpses in glorified pick up games the month before that doesn't make him a good shooter. His high school stats show the real picture. If you think he can shoot that's on you. The evidence doesn't support your stance.

He was considered a bad shooter before the Jordan game and practices. Just because he showed tiny glimpses in glorified pick up games the month before that doesn't make him a good shooter. His high school stats show the real picture. If you think he can shoot that's on you. The evidence doesn't support your stance.

I’m expressing what Calipari and the staff was reporting, you can believe whatever you want.

Vanderbilt' shot has not looked good, but he rebounds, passes, and hustles very well. Looks to push the ball up the court fast. Shai has played more consistently than anyone imo. We need Richards back next year he has the potential to be really good. Ball movement on offense or lack there of has me bewildered.

This is what I expect to happen. I hope I am wrong. But I think we lose Gabriel he goes overseas for a payday. We probably lose Richards NBA drafts on upside think Skal. SGA probably gone as well. Vanderbilt,Knox and Diallo IMO are 100 % gone. I think we get Green,PJ and SKJ back.
I think that Cal will put a little more pressure on these kids to come back and improve their draft status than he has in the past.

Gabriel's family may indeed be dirt poor, but waiting a year to be an NBA first round pick would be the smartest decision long term.

If his family has always been poor, then being poor for one more year, and then being comfortable financially from now on would make more sense to me.

I think that one of the changes that Cal will make going forward, is trying to keep these fringe first rounders here longer.

Don’t know why we have to bash one player to build another one up. They’re not the same player. We don’t want them to be. Washington is our best inside scorer.
Huh? Who’s “bashing” players. This is a message board. Uh. Fans like to give their opinions on how players are playing, Sorry you consider that “bashing”.

You must lead a very sheltered life. Be strong, it’s going to be ok.

3 all star games and 3 weeks of practice not just one random all star game. He scored 19 the week before the Jordan Brand game. On 8 of 12 from the field 1 of 2 from 3. 2of 2 from the line. So 3 all star games 3 weeks of practice and he shot the ball well. He will have to shake off nerves and rust but he is capable of it.

WATCH: Jarred Vanderbilt shows off improved jumper
  • by Kevin Flaherty
  • Aug 9, 2017

"I know you ain't gonna make 5 in one spot" #BBN @JVando_ #takemytalentpic.twitter.com/96oQ9y4kSM

— TakeMyTalent.com (@TakeMyTalent) August 9, 2017

One of the biggest questions about Jarred Vanderbilt's game was his lack of a consistent jumper.

One of the things that wasn’t in question? His work ethic. Vanderbilt flashed an improved jumper in the spring all-star games, and if a Twitter video posted to @TakeMyTalent.com is any indication, Vanderbilt has continued to work to improve his outside shot.

That could make Vanderbilt — already a talented ball-handler for his size and potential elite defender — even more deadly this year for the Wildcats.

Vanderbilt was the No. 3 small forward and the No. 11 overall player in the 247Sports Composite.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT