ADVERTISEMENT

Vandagriff

K_TIME

All-American
Jan 2, 2003
Brock looks like a bust…but he’s got to process plays much faster or this season will be a bust…and Uk should go to Boley in 2025

The sacks came right up the middle and it’s like he could not react to obvious play right in front of him

I'm not ready to call him a bust yet, you need game reps against quality competition no matter who you are. He certainly needs to go through his reads faster and get rid of the ball quicker but that just comes with game reps. When he's had time he's delivered the ball pretty well, better than the last few years. But the line isn't what has been either. Heart breaker for the team but I think proving they can play the #1 team to within a single point can help their confidence going forward.

He has to speed up his reads. I’m just glad the line gave him a chance. He made some good throws against a top shelf defense. My biggest takeaway from the passing game is that it’s so vanilla. Not much imagination.

He doesn’t throw with anticipation, he doesn’t step up in the pocket, his throwing motion is awkward and results in tons of batted balls, he stares down his receivers, the list goes on and on. He is not a good quarterback. Add it to the endless list of busts at that position

Last edited:
He can’t play the position he’s not a natural- cannot process quickly
I move to someone else but Stoops will never do it

a little over 3 minutes to go, inside the 50 yard line, 2nd and 7 and 3rd and 7 with the game on the line we ran two drop back passes? I don’t fault the pass but why in the pocket instead of rolling him out which gives him a chance to run if nothing in front of him to throw for an easy 5-7 yards. We needed one more first down to give Rayner a chance but we resort to crappy play calling and then chicken shit coaching which is stoops calling card.

I honestly don’t know if he’s a bust. Looked great Week 1, was running for his life Week 2, and played the #1 team Week 3. I’m willing to give him some more chances.

I also think our WR room is overrated. Brown and Key are the same players they were as freshmen. Maclin is average. Thought we had a formidable trio going into the year…but I no longer feel that way.

I'm concerned about quality of the ball he throws.
I thought he had an NFL arm, but I don't see it.
Practice highlights he was not spinning it.
That thing had a lot of wobble.
Didn't see it against Southern Miss, but it was there last week and tonight.
Sometimes there's Zip, sometimes it's not getting there and low.

• Haha
Reactions: jnewc2
He has to speed up his reads. I’m just glad the line gave him a chance. He made some good throws against a top shelf defense. My biggest takeaway from the passing game is that it’s so vanilla. Not much imagination.
He threw for barely 100 yards. How many good throws can you have when he can’t generate a vertical pass threat?

Reactions: kats23
I'm not sure if it's the QB anymore. Under stoops very few QB actually had a respectable season.
You have to have someone on the staff, that knows and understands QB.
About the only coach that actually got respectable QB play for stoops was Coen.

Don't know if it is the way they practice, not allowed to get into a rhythm, or stoops might be to tight/nervous on game day. Most good QB Coaches or OC have a calm cocky like confidence.

But for whatever reason Stoops does not produce comfortable confident QB'S!

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
He makes reads way to late, I counted at least 7 throws, there’s probably more, where he holds on the ball 1-2 seconds to long and the pass is incomplete or batted down. 2nd to last drive he had brown Stephen’s wide open in the flat and it would got the first down, next play he had somebody wide open as well but holds onto the ball to long

We need a QB that can create in the pocket and throw players open
He is just not a natural talent at that position
I assume our tight ends only pass block
Routes take way to long
No TDs in two weeks is not good

I'm concerned about quality of the ball he throws.
I thought he had an NFL arm, but I don't see it.
Practice highlights he was not spinning it.
That thing had a lot of wobble.
Didn't see it against Southern Miss, but it was there last week and tonight.
Sometimes there's Zip, sometimes it's not getting there and low.
Nothing about speeding up processing fixes this

Last edited:
He threw for barely 100 yards. How many good throws can you have when he can’t generate a vertical pass threat?
I think it’s a shit passing game. He’s not a total shit qb. But he’s not as good as we hoped. Either bush has a bad play sheet or he doesn’t have much faith in his qb. We are essentially a big ten team. 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

a little over 3 minutes to go, inside the 50 yard line, 2nd and 7 and 3rd and 7 with the game on the line we ran two drop back passes? I don’t fault the pass but why in the pocket instead of rolling him out which gives him a chance to run if nothing in front of him to throw for an easy 5-7 yards. We needed one more first down to give Rayner a chance but we resort to crappy play calling and then chicken shit coaching which is stoops calling card.
💯💯💯💯💯

Reactions: 23jumpboy
I honestly don’t know if he’s a bust. Looked great Week 1, was running for his life Week 2, and played the #1 team Week 3. I’m willing to give him some more chances.

I also think our WR room is overrated. Brown and Key are the same players they were as freshmen. Maclin is average. Thought we had a formidable trio going into the year…but I no longer feel that way.

Yeah I don't think those guys are getting open consistently. And there's ongoing miscommunication between them and Vandagriff. It would be nice if we had a tight end that could leak out and catch passes but they're essentially offensive linemen in our offense.

If I was an elite high school tight end and Stoops and Vince were calling me, I'd ignore them and block their numbers.

Reactions: Titpwhami2014
We actually had guys getting open tonight. Lots of missed opportunities that I mainly attribute to him being more worried about eluding a rush and missing reads.

Leary had 25 TD’s last year. Levis had 24 his first year.

Which proves the point. People sh1t on Leary when it wasnt his fault. He got zero help from wrs.

Brock is the problem. He isnt trusting what he sees and turning the ball loose. He waits till guys are actually open which is too late.

We probably win that game if he lets that hitch go to his left. That had 5 yards written all over it, putting us into long but doable fg range ASSUMING we dont gain anything else.

Instead he stared at it, came off, and tried to find something downfield.

I think it is multiple things here. On the Vandergriff side he is a slow processor and doesn't trust his reads. I don't think that ever gets fixed, so to compensate we need to run more play action, limit his options to 1-2 targets then run, and move the pocket more.

The other problem is that our tackles and TE cannot pass block. I know we have gone against some elite edge players, but some of this is ridiculous. I don't like calling out players so I will just say, go back and watch the tape. One of our players missed pass blocking assignments all night. They weren't even a turnstile, because a turnstile at least makes contact.

Our OC was better than he was against South Carolina, but I keep wondering if he is just looking at his play sheet as opposed to watching the game. It was an absolute track meet off the edge to get to the QB in both games. Where are the plays to exploit that? We finally start seeing some QB draws to exploit it, but consistently he still puts his QB in shotgun and runs his WRs on a 15-yard crossing pattern or some other slow developing nonsense. Just once could we at least see if Brown could break a quick slant, or maybe roll our QB away from pressure on play action? How about using motion to get Brown into the slot and running an underneath crossing pattern to hopefully get him covered by a linebacker or safety. The middle of the field appears to be a no-fly zone for this offense, and quick hitters don't exist.

We have played two of the best defenses in the SEC/country and what we have learned is 1) Kentucky can run the ball, 2) Vandergriff is a great athlete who can't process defenses and 3) Kentucky couldn't protect against your grandmother coming off the end. Hopefully we take that knowledge and start building an offense that can actually exploit these strengths, manage their weakness and start putting up some TDs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT