ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

Of course those team you mention had down years - the English teams beat them!. And if those English teams aren't great, then I hear you saying we can't have great teams unless they come form the continent & play flowing style. IOW, demanding & pressing style can't be as great as open flowing. So as I said, you value O over D.

Show me where exactly I said the English teams aren't great.... And no, the English teams did not beat them. AJAX beat both Juve and Real Madrid and had Tottenham beat. Did you watch at all?

Really need a new soccer thread so I can ignore BBS.

When you ignore a poster any thread they start goes away. Can't deal with his schtick ITT. It's nauseating

Welp...there are some American teenagers in Poland today who better start doing their US Dollar to Euro exchange rate math. Because Sebastian Soto, Richie Ledezma, Chris Richards, Paxton Pomykal and Uly Llanez at minimum are in the bosses seat after beating France today with goals in the 73rd and 84th minute to stun the Tourney favorites 3-2.

Welp...there are some American teenagers in Poland today who better start doing their US Dollar to Euro exchange rate math. Because Sebastian Soto, Richie Ledezma, Chris Richards, Paxton Pomykal and Uly Llanez at minimum are in the bosses seat after beating France today with goals in the 73rd and 84th minute to stun the Tourney favorites 3-2.
Just watched the highlights - that through ball from Weah for the 2nd goal was something.

Just watched the highlights - that through ball from Weah for the 2nd goal was something.

Weah had a move on the counter where he split the French CB (Zagadou from Dortmund) and their LB that was otherworldly; he came so free into the box that I think it shocked him into not realizing he could round the keeper for a tap in but he sent it wide far post instead.

There wasn't anything flukey about any of the US' three goals; Soto's first goal off a perfect ball from Ledezma on the counter was legit and the winning goal was off of a great line breaking ball up the left wing out of the back by Keita that saw some nice combination passes and runs from among Llanez, Pomykal, Weah and ultimately the hammered laser from Dest from 25 yards that the keeper spilled into Rennicks.

Really need a new soccer thread so I can ignore BBS.

When you ignore a poster any thread they start goes away. Can't deal with his schtick ITT. It's nauseating

There's a wonderful Ignore button. What schtick? If people actually read what i say, and comprehended it instead of putting words I did not say into my mouth to facilitate a bad faith argument then many of these issues would not exist. Also, come with facts. Don'y say the EPL knocked out Real Madrid and Juve. That is not factually correct at all. Again, hit the ignore button if facts bother you so much.

You can say all you want about Jurgen Klinsmann as a manager.... But what he did with our youth systems continues to pay MASSIVE dividends. I would have no problem offering him a "Director of Youth" type position. He was a big player in the German reformation after 2008.

We got some ballers u-20.... many with GREAT superstar names:

Sebastian Soto
Richie Ledezma
Paxton Pomykal
Uly Llanez

Weah had a move on the counter where he split the French CB (Zagadou from Dortmund) and their LB that was otherworldly; he came so free into the box that I think it shocked him into not realizing he could round the keeper for a tap in but he sent it wide far post instead.

There wasn't anything flukey about any of the US' three goals; Soto's first goal off a perfect ball from Ledezma on the counter was legit and the winning goal was off of a great line breaking ball up the left wing out of the back by Keita that saw some nice combination passes and runs from among Llanez, Pomykal, Weah and ultimately the hammered laser from Dest from 25 yards that the keeper spilled into Rennicks.

Their LB was a stud. N'dicka i believe was his name

You can say all you want about Jurgen Klinsmann as a manager.... But what he did with our youth systems continues to pay MASSIVE dividends. I would have no problem offering him a "Director of Youth" type position. He was a big player in the German reformation after 2008.

I think that is a little bit of a reach; the Development Academy initiative started in 2007 a year after the 2006 World Cup debacle and a full four years before Klinsmann began his reign. Klinsmann was instrumental in pushing players to achieve at the sport's highest level in Europe, but he always missed the boat on the value of MLS franchises to farm and develop youth. It's fair to question a Michael Bradley leaving Roma for the MLS, or an Altidore leaving Europe for Toronto--and I contend Jordan Morris not taking a chance at Bremen was a career risking mistake as Klinsmann did very publicly. But MLS is starting to see the value in developing and selling youth...Paxton Pomykal is almost certainly on that path with FCD.

I think that is a little bit of a reach; the Development Academy initiative started in 2007 a year after the 2006 World Cup debacle and a full four years before Klinsmann began his reign. Klinsmann was instrumental in pushing players to achieve at the sport's highest level in Europe, but he always missed the boat on the value of MLS franchises to farm and develop youth. It's fair to question a Michael Bradley leaving Roma for the MLS, or an Altidore leaving Europe for Toronto--and I contend Jordan Morris not taking a chance at Bremen was a career risking mistake as Klinsmann did very publicly. But MLS is starting to see the value in developing and selling youth...Paxton Pomykal is almost certainly on that path with FCD.

Klinsmann emphasized that the pyramid within the US youth system was upside down. That we disproportionately valued playing games over training. He changed that culture and pushed kids to pursue European careers. The initiative started in 2007 for MLS, but Klinsmann was instrumental in getting us as a nation to take u-20, u-17 competitions far more seriously. Prior to him we barely had enough of a player pool to fill that out. He was monumental in those areas just as he was with the DFB Reformation in identifying and casting a wide net. He was witness and participated in that process and brought many of those same ideals here for US Soccer.

If we cannot figure out a decent midfield for our Senior Squad out of Tyler Adams, Weston McKennie, Sands, Durkin, Parks, Acosta, Pomykal, Mihailovic, and Ledezma we don't deserve to play. So much talent, depth and skill that I don't wanna hear Michael Bradley's name even uttered. Also don't wanna see us trying to play Pulisic at CAM either. Needs to be on a wing. Him on one side, Weah the other.

If we cannot figure out a decent midfield for our Senior Squad out of Tyler Adams, Weston McKennie, Sands, Durkin, Parks, Acosta, Pomykal, Mihailovic, and Ledezma we don't deserve to play. So much talent, depth and skill that I don't wanna hear Michael Bradley's name even uttered. Also don't wanna see us trying to play Pulisic at CAM either. Needs to be on a wing. Him on one side, Weah the other.

I will try to put a bow on everything and move on from yesterday by saying this; when I watched them I keep looking at a Ledezma and a Mendez and seeing that though they are deployed as 8s, they probably are more 10s because they aren't at all quality ball winners and need defensive support probably moreso than you truly want. THAT is why they have to have a Pomykal. But understand this...their creativity and ball savvy flanked by a Weston McKennie and protected by a Tyler Adams whose defensive range is starting to move into legendary status, and giving them the ability to provide service to a Pulisic and the combinations of a Josh Sargent, Sebastian Soto or a Weah with a little more seasoning? That is some really exciting stuff. Chris Richards as a CB further backing both aerial and ground ball winning abilities of McKennie and Adams who have already established themselves among the best in the Bundesliga at it...that is a lot of won possession.

The constants for the US in this World Cup have unquestionably been Chris Richards, Chris Gloster and the team engine Pomykal. I would add Soto to the extent that he doesn't wow you with speed, he just innately finds pockets and holds play up pretty well. When he was on the field he was getting braces against Nigeria and France; when he didn't play against Ukraine, we lacked final product and it showed. Qatar was somewhat similar in that it lacked Pomykal's thing whatever that is (Americans overuse the word heart in describing it).

Reactions: BigBlueSean
There was a mention of yellow card suspensions. Will the team be at full strength for Ecuador?

Yellow card accumulation lasts through the quarterfinals; there were no yellows issued at all in the US/France match so everyone rostered is eligible for the Ecuador match, including Durkin and Mendez who have satisfied the subsequent match criteria from two yellows accumulated in Group State.

Ugly match vs Jamaica tonight.

Anyone going to the match in Cincy Sunday?

I only caught the last twenty minutes of the match (it's soccer tryout season...ich and if you're a youth soccer parent you know what I'm talking about). Frankly we looked like we had partook with the Jamaicans before the game and decided to double down with a keg of Red Stripe at the half.

This Dutch team will be world or euro champs at least once next 7 years... some more experience and intelligence around goal and they are winning this game 4-0 at half instead of being down.

God man, the way the Dutch play is a thing of absolute beauty. Shame they dont have an out and out goal scorer.

Imagine if Van Persie and Robben had this midfield and defense.... This is the midfield and defense they deserved

I swear I can write a book on it. People who are nauseated with modern politics would slash their wrists dealing with youth soccer tryouts.
And the Louisville area has about 10 clubs, it seems. I know Javanon and KFJ are the big ones, but I don't know how parents there pick where to go.

I hope so...the Dutch teams that we had grown so accustomed to seeing on the International stage are truly missed.

I agree. They just need a better striker. You can tell Depay isn't comfy there. He is much better out wide taking people on. I'd maybe bring in Wout Weghorst from Wolfsburg. Much more of a clinical finisher in front of goal. Had 18 goals and 9 assists this past year. What was crazy to me was to watch how De Jong bossed that entire game. Reminds me so much of a Modric how he just floats around and causes tons of issues.

It still baffles me how they haven't won a world cup.

Amazing this kid is 19 years old and this freaking good. A 19 year old completely manhandled England's entire midfield. He will start immediately for Barca IMO and is just what Messi needs--- a midfielder that will allow him to stay forward more. I think Barca just found the future Xavi. My favorite thing about him is how he is always looking for the vertical pass. Does not settle for passing side to side.

Getting smoked by Venezuela 3-0 at the moment. Can't say I'm remotely impressed by Berhalter's coaching ability from what I've seen in this game and the Jamaica game the other night.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
TV commercial at halftime for upcoming Gold Cup:
"Watch the Birth of the new era in USA Soccer"

This is one UGLY Baby.

Just think if Berhalters system got exposed this much by Venezuela, what happened against major UEFA and CONMEBOL competition.

Just promote Tab Ramos and go with this:

4-3-3 (tabs system which all have familiarity with)

Weah, Sargent, Pulisic
Pomykal, Adams, McKennie
Ream, Miazga, Brooks, Yedlin
Steffen

Just think if Berhalters system got exposed this much by Venezuela, what happened against major UEFA and CONMEBOL competition.

Just promote Tab Ramos and go with this:

4-3-3 (tabs system which all have familiarity with)

Weah, Sargent, Pulisic
Pomykal, Adams, McKennie
Ream, Miazga, Brooks, Yedlin
Steffen

What's happened to Bobby Wood? I'd figure he'd be on the roster for the Gold Cup but haven't heard a word about him.

What's happened to Bobby Wood? I'd figure he'd be on the roster for the Gold Cup but haven't heard a word about him.

No clue. You could argue he was our most productive striker last world cup cycle.

I mean you about are ready to embark on arguably the most important competitive competition that will set the tone for WCQ for 2022.... And you screw around and get beat by Jamaica 1-0 and Venezuela, the worst team in CONMEBOL 3-0? Barely playing any of our key guys?

There is literally no urgency. Even teams like Brazil, Uriguay, Argentina, Netherlands, Portugal, England in friendlies/ (glorified friendlies UEFA Nations League) are taking damn near their best teams because they know time for international teams is prescious. You get four two-week breaks a year to sort your shit. We're just waltzing around like ---- everything is fine... Moral victories galore. Excuses everywhere.. Playing with dudes who don't belong anywhere near the USMNT much less the starting 11.

We literally have gone from 25 min away from a quarterfinal in the world cup, followed by wins over #1 Germany in Berlin, #4 Netherlands in Amsterdam to losing at Trinidad and Tobago and not qualifying for the world cup and now 2 losses to Jamaica and an ass kicking by the worst team in South America that has never made a world cup. Tata Martinez is gonna kick our ass in this gold cup with Mexico. Without the likes of Lozano, Vela, Layun and Guardado.

The thing that pisses me off the most this summer is the mismanagement of Josh Sargent. Listen I'm fine him not being on the Gold Cup squad if he is with the u20 team... But for him to be on NEITHER only speaks to the clear disorganization within US Soccer. If I was Josh I would be majorly pissed off...

I mean you about are ready to embark on arguably the most important competitive competition that will set the tone for WCQ for 2022.... And you screw around and get beat by Jamaica 1-0 and Venezuela, the worst team in CONMEBOL 3-0? Barely playing any of our key guys?

There is literally no urgency. Even teams like Brazil, Uriguay, Argentina, Netherlands, Portugal, England in friendlies/ (glorified friendlies UEFA Nations League) are taking damn near their best teams because they know time for international teams is prescious. You get four two-week breaks a year to sort your shit. We're just waltzing around like ---- everything is fine... Moral victories galore. Excuses everywhere.. Playing with dudes who don't belong anywhere near the USMNT much less the starting 11.

We literally have gone from 25 min away from a quarterfinal in the world cup, followed by wins over #1 Germany in Berlin, #4 Netherlands in Amsterdam to losing at Trinidad and Tobago and not qualifying for the world cup and now 2 losses to Jamaica and an ass kicking by the worst team in South America that has never made a world cup. Tata Martinez is gonna kick our ass in this gold cup with Mexico. Without the likes of Lozano, Vela, Layun and Guardado.

You hit the nail on the head man, and my brother and I were talking about this yesterday watching that game. We’re only 5 years removed from Brazil 2014 where we advanced to the Knockout Stage after being in a group with Germany, Portugal, and Ghana. We were highly competitive with some of the best teams in the world and here we are in 2019 getting waxed 4-0 by Venezuela and Jamaica. What’s gone wrong???

What I saw last week was pathetic and I’m not sure they’ll even get out of the group stage of this Gold Cup.

I think what annoys me at the moment is that there really seems to be no competitiveness, no drive, and no sense of urgency. The last two games, at least, we seemed like we were just going through the motions, as though that would be enough to get a result. I could excuse some things as inexperience or some growing pains, but the lack of desire in the games is not excusable, especially when a few days ago we basically had a tryout and then yesterday we had a dress rehearsal of sorts. Two games that really set this team back, and they are going to have to make a splash in the gold cup to change that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT