ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

So were we expected to beat this team by more than this?

(I don’t watch much soccer outside of this tourney, my middle schooler’s games, and mens/women’s World Cup. )

Zardes scored the goal of the year last night! You can't beat an inadvertent ball to the face that ricochets directly in the center of the net.

So were we expected to beat this team by more than this?

(I don’t watch much soccer outside of this tourney, my middle schooler’s games, and mens/women’s World Cup. )

I don't think that we quite dominated the match as much as we could or should have. The score ended up pretty lopsided, which is good, but there was quite a bit of average play and USMNT could have scored a lot more with some quality finishes.

Saturday will be more telling. We will see if we grew from this match and if we improve.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
I don't think that we quite dominated the match as much as we could or should have. The score ended up pretty lopsided, which is good, but there was quite a bit of average play and USMNT could have scored a lot more with some quality finishes.

Saturday will be more telling. We will see if we grew from this match and if we improve.

Agree - what i found worrisome were some bad turnovers in the middle of the field, in our own half that if it were Mexico, Canada or Costa Rica would have been goals the other way.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Agree - what i found worrisome were some bad turnovers in the middle of the field, in our own half that if it were Mexico, Canada or Costa Rica would have been goals the other way.

Definitely. We were sloppy in the middle from the beginning. I think this squad just seems to take their foot off the gas way too much. They begin to play too laid back and they make those silly mistakes that lead to goals. If that happens against the likes of those you mentioned then we'll get blown out, and it will be even worse if we don't start finishing in the final third. We had a lot of quality chances, but couldn't put them in the back of the net.

As a very very casual soccer watcher/fan, I gotta say this stuff about the goalies coming off the line and then getting a yellow is frustrating. I wonder if they’ll call the penalty kickers for hesitating more?

Also, LOL @ VAR.

Very good second half. First half was a bit slow. Morris actually made a big difference.

I don't know. Once US got 2nd goal, T&T basically quit imo. Pulisic is quite good, but still ? durability. Seems like McKinnie hurt a lot too.

giphy.gif

Haven’t seen it, but we must have been really good to beat Panama.

Played our B or C squad. 11 new starters from the first two games. Played okay from what I could tell, but nothing really was a major stand out. Scored on a corner by Mihalovic (who played rather terribly) that went far post to the head of Miazga (who played well) on goal where Altidore was there to give it a slow motion bicycle kick into net. Other than this, I don't think there were ever any real threats by the US to score, at least not that I remember.

Johnson was in the US net and I thought he played extremely well. He was fast and aggressive and made things look pretty easy when he was challenged.

Gonzalez in the back played pretty poorly, as he has a lot. Very slow. Trapp in the middle was pretty poor with a lot of bad first touches and a few bad giveaways.

Pulisic and Boyd came on in the final minutes, but didn't have any major impact. I think CP was on the pitch when Altidore scored.

^Butch Rapinoe is, and has always been, a look-at-me glory hound. The rest of the team seems fairly likable but she's annoying as hell.

*U.S. leads 1-0 as this is typed

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Where would pulisic be ranked as an overall player in the world? Who will be our 2nd best player in the next world cup?

Crazy half with both teams having some good chances. The last 15 minutes of the half were wild. Usa should at least have 1 goal but I think they break through in the 2nd half.

We had lots more chances in 2H. Could have been 4-0. Dutch didn't even challenge goal in 2H.

I thought Lavelle was the MVP. She's the glue, the distributor. Going forward, she's the star. Rapione likely gone. Morgan will be on downhill side if around.

That was theonly game I watched fully, saw a little bit of vs France... first half felt like the Dutch were going to be able to do enough defensively to sneak out a win, but really there's quite a skill gap between US and other teams, Lavelle in particular I thought was impressive.

-the US is *lightyears* ahead of the rest of the world as it pertains to womens team sports. There is still a stigma about women playing sports in europe(coming around)/asia/south america/mexico/central america/africa. Shining city on a hill, indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT