ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

Awesome. Whrn does this tournament take place and who is the favorite to win it?

Also man, if you want to learn more about the game itself subscribe to the podcast Total Soccer Show. They have episodes where they explain positions, tactics, soccer terms and everything. They did one show recently about how to watch soccer to get the most out of it. Helped me immensely.

Also man, if you want to learn more about the game itself subscribe to the podcast Total Soccer Show. They have episodes where they explain positions, tactics, soccer terms and everything. They did one show recently about how to watch soccer to get the most out of it. Helped me immensely.
That's definitely what I need. None of my family or friends watch soccer so I don't have anyone to ask.

Also how does Christian Pulisic and Sargent stack up against other young phenoms from other countries. It seems we have some good young players but I honestly don't know how good they really are

Yep. Total soccer show is great. As I mentioned above, one of the hosts is from ky and went to centre.

Also how does Christian Pulisic and Sargent stack up against other young phenoms from other countries. It seems we have some good young players but I honestly don't know how good they really are

Pulisic is the best player his age in the world. I know some of you might think that's hyperbole, but he's "that good". In my opinion, the level that he's playing at right now is better than any player in us history.

Sargent is a tough guy to judge. He's very strong and skilled. But from what I've read he's not fast and probably won't ever be.

I think he could potentially be a better version of altidore. He's reportedly going to Germany when he turns 18. We need him to be good because our striker pool is thin right now.

I think Pulisic as he gets older will be of world class quality. He is the only 1. Spain, Germany , Belgium, Brazil, Argentina, France have starting 11s that are full of that quality and then some. Brazil this year had 3 Pulisics come up. It's nice to have a player if that quality but we need a ton more

I think Pulisic as he gets older will be of world class quality. He is the only 1. Spain, Germany , Belgium, Brazil, Argentina, France have starting 11s that are full of that quality and then some. Brazil this year had 3 Pulisics come up. It's nice to have a player if that quality but we need a ton more

I think you're selling him short. He's the best player his age in the world in my opinion.

We need more, but we've got more young guys in European academies than we've ever had before. Things are looking up.

Pulisic is the best player his age in the world. I know some of you might think that's hyperbole, but he's "that good". In my opinion, the level that he's playing at right now is better than any player in us history.

Sargent is a tough guy to judge. He's very strong and skilled. But from what I've read he's not fast and probably won't ever be.

I think he could potentially be a better version of altidore. He's reportedly going to Germany when he turns 18. We need him to be good because our striker pool is thin right now.

No way he is the best. Mbappe, Gabriel Jesus, Timo Werner, Naby Keita, Gianluigi Donnarumma are all extremely good and under 20. Best player in the world under 20 right now is Mbappe at Monaco. Played half a year starting and had 27 goals and 13 assists. Led his team to UCL semifinals and had 7 goals and 3 assists in 9 starts in UCL. Pulisic is in that group, but Mbappe is far and away the best. There's a reason Real Madrid are willing to match the 136 million dollar price tag for Mbappe lol...

Reactions: Vandalayindustries
No way he is the best. Mbappe, Gabriel Jesus, Timo Werner, Naby Keita, are all extremely good and under 20. Best player in the world under 20 right now is Mbappe at Monaco. Played half a year starting and had 27 goals and 13 assists. Led his team to UCL semifinals and had 7 goals and 3 assists in 9 starts in UCL. Pulisic is in that group, but Mbappe is far and away the best. There's a reason Real Madrid are willing to match the 136 million dollar price tag for Mbappe lol...

I stand corrected, I thought mbappe was actually a year older than pulisic. They are both 18. Jesus, Keita and Werner are all older than pulisic. And comparing a goalkeeper to a position player is silly: but yes. Mbappe is the best 18 year old. But good job, you were only 80% wrong. LOL.

Jesus - 20
Werner - 21
Keita-22

Last edited:
In under 20 I include guys that are 20. I thought Werner was 20. Mbappe is the next superstar. Pulisic is really good, but not quite Mbappe good

Btw u can downplay GK all you want, go watch Donnarumma man. Dude is 6'5/215 and has reflexes and reactions like he is 5'11/175.

So what was the deal with that club that won the league at 2000 to 1 odds a couple of years ago. What did they win and why was it such an accomplishment. Just wondering how a team in the same league as others could be that big of an underdog. Again i know this is probably a dumbass question to u big soccer guys.

So what was the deal with that club that won the league at 2000 to 1 odds a couple of years ago. What did they win and why was it such an accomplishment. Just wondering how a team in the same league as others could be that big of an underdog. Again i know this is probably a dumbass question to u big soccer guys.

In the history of the Premier League, Only Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal had won titles. 4 teams since 1992. Those teams have transfer budgets of 100's of millions of dollars. Leicester City had a stransfer budget of 20 million. That's nothing. They struck lightning in a bottle.... They bought their Striker for 200k. They bought Maghreb for like nothing. They bought Ngolo Kanye (Premier League MVP) for absolutely nothing and hit just eight when Man City, Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea were all the lowest point in a loooonnnnggg time. My best comparison would be if Kentucky state football played in the SEC and won the SEC title. You just never see anymore teams like Leicester win. Super Clubs dominate the sport.... mainly because they have no salary cap and can buy all they want.

As for what they got..... 1) the title, 2) a spot in champions league, 3) money

Ea h team in the premiere league gets 100 million for being in the premiere league. If u win it you get about 40-50 more million. The winner of the UCL can accrue a winnings upwards close to 100 million.

Pulisic is great, but he's "only" among the top 20 or so prospects of his age. Sargent is probably about the same for his age. While this is great, Germany, Brazil, etc will have a bunch of people with that type of talent. The good news is that the US is finally developing world class players primarily in the US. That bodes well for the future.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
Pulisic is great, but he's "only" among the top 20 or so prospects of his age. Sargent is probably about the same for his age. While this is great, Germany, Brazil, etc will have a bunch of people with that type of talent. The good news is that the US is finally developing world class players primarily in the US. That bodes well for the future.

I'd like to see the list of 18 year olds that are better than pulisic. It's very very very short. I'm not saying he's Messi or ronaldo. He never will be. But he can absolutely develop into an Alexis sanchez, iniesta, murller type of player. Among the top 20 players in the world. But he's 6-8 years away from that.

This is really helpful. Some crazy stuff. Im a huge ufc and uk anything fan. Honestly though when im watching soccer and the ball gets in the box there isnt anything like it. All my friends think its boring but i think its actually intense as hell. Thanks so much

In the history of the Premier League, Only Man United, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal had won titles. 4 teams since 1992.

07763EAA00000514-3083278-Shearer_and_Sutton_lifting_the_Premiership_trophy_after_their_su-a-42_1431696029177.jpg

How can you forget Blackburn from 94-95!?

*I had to look it up - but I thought there was another team in there.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
This is how good German soccer is- They give the following players a vacation: Thomas Mueller, Mezut Ozil, Marco Reus, Manuel Neuer, Mario Gotze, Toni Kroos, Mats Hummels, Jerome Boateng, Sami Khedira and Leroy Sane a break. They then send teams to two different tournaments.... They send a B- experimental team to the Confederation Cup and a C team to the u-21 Euro's.... They just won the u-21 euros by beating a stacked Spain team and can also win the Confederation Cup this Sunday which they are favored to do. Holy cow man! Absolutely loaded with talent.

There's a German guy named Jerome?

As someone who is new to soccer, are there any LeBron esque talents coming up right now(as in guys that have a chance to be an all time great)? Pulisic seems to be popular on this board.

Is fc Cincinnati favored to win their next match against miami

No. Miami is really good and the match is in Miami. FCC struggles with Charleston and other average teams so this will be a very tough match for them.

Honestly they've been a mess this year other than the US Open Cup.

There's a German guy named Jerome?

As someone who is new to soccer, are there any LeBron esque talents coming up right now(as in guys that have a chance to be an all time great)? Pulisic seems to be popular on this board.
That's been the USA quest/dream for 25 years. Hasn't happened yet. Probably need the poor kids with athletic dreams playing pickup games from a young age to infuse the innate skills/ understanding/anticipations. Trouble is soccer isn't the poor kids' game ex maybe the Hispanics. Net, may not happen for another 10 years.

Note: I do find it cool the USA national team is such a wide mix of ethnicities.

While Pulisic is very good, I doubt he reaches of the heights of top few players in world. That's not a knock though I have the knock that he needs more muscle yet.

First step to the LeBron-like claim is to become THE star of top 10 Euro club.

I just wonder how many players we steal from other countries? Is this a common practice for all countries? I guess if your born in one country and raised in another. I'm guessing there is a rat race for some players with nationality questions. How does this get sorted out? Super curious

I just wonder how many players we steal from other countries? Is this a common practice for all countries? I guess if your born in one country and raised in another. I'm guessing there is a rat race for some players with nationality questions. How does this get sorted out? Super curious

It's somewhat common. Becoming more common in Europe. Hell, boateng for Germany has a brother playing for Ghana I believe.

If you have citizenship in multiple countries; e.g., Pulisic USA & Croatia (dad born there), you have the choice of which country to play for up until you play for the senior national team of one, then you're stuck.

If fc cincinnati wins this tournament what do they get?

$250,000, entrance into the Concacaf Champions League (which is huge), and a nice shiny trophy. They also may get $15,000 for being the team to advance the furthest from a lower division (winner of the Cinci-Miami game gets it).

Basically the player chooses. Many of the US team are playing for the US mainly because they aren't quite good enough to play for Germany, or Mexico for example. The US gets players from lots of other countries and probably has more advantages than nearly every other country given its diversity. We've added a player from Israel recently and multiple with African heritage.

Basically the player chooses. Many of the US team are playing for the US mainly because they aren't quite good enough to play for Germany, or Mexico for example. The US gets players from lots of other countries and probably has more advantages than nearly every other country given its diversity. We've added a player from Israel recently and multiple with African heritage.
But they are all US citizens.

I really liked Dom Dwyer today against Ghana. Showed he had something none of our other forwards have. I can see him carving out a role and being part of the 23 we take to Russia.

Reactions: Mashburned
And Acosta needs as much Pt as possible. Style wise he really reminds me of David Alaba.... guys who are versatile enough to be in the back line and CDM and are great at taking free kicks

Probably need the poor kids with athletic dreams playing pickup games from a young age to infuse the innate skills/ understanding/anticipations.

Trump's cutting down on illegal immigration so this is going to be delayed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT