ADVERTISEMENT

USAToday: Quickley and Williamson want to team up in college but aren't a package deal

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
http://usatodayhss.com/2017/adidas-...-a-package-deal-kentucky-duke-maryland-kansas

The obvious question is whether that mutual enjoyment of playing together has translated into the ever-popular, two-word phrase in the hoops recruiting world: Package deal.

Quickley is down to Kentucky, Maryland, Kansas and Miami; Williamson has yet to cut his list but has offers from all of those schools but Miami.

“We’re not a package deal,” Williamson said. “We have definitely talked about playing together in college and I want to play with him, but it’s gotta be an individual decision. He’s a great player so it makes sense and some of the schools he’s looking at are recruiting me too.

“I definitely want to be in a situation where I’m playing with players that are getting me better every day by pushing me and vice versa. He knows I have to do what’s best for me in the end and he does too. That’s why we’re not saying it’s a legit package deal.”

Reactions: TM2013
With Williamson distancing himself from the package deal, it seems like KU could be his likely destination. Assuming KU hasn't prioritized Barrett.

With Williamson distancing himself from the package deal, it seems like KU could be his likely destination. Assuming KU hasn't prioritized Barrett.

You guys probably think you get Williamson AND Barrett, right?

It's not like you guys have a bunch of guys likely coming back on the wings like Newman, Vick, and Cunliffe or transfers like the Lawson brothers waiting in the wings.

I think Self knew this was going to be a slim class for KU, which is why he grabbed the Lawson brothers and Moore off the waiver wire.

Grimes will probably be your top recruit. And that is probably for the best for you guys. You have experienced guys who are already proven college players.

Grimes, Newman, Lawson, Lawson, and Azubuike starting with Moore and Cunliffe off the bench. You guys need a backup big is all and you should be good to go.

Maybe Self can avoid the drama that his recent big name guys (Alexander, Diallo, Jackson) seem to bring with them if he doesn't get a big name player.

They may both wind up here, but as a rule, I never feel too great when guys are chatty. Our recruits tend to keep things a little more tight-lipped.

Reactions: wromanp7
They may both wind up here, but as a rule, I never feel too great when guys are chatty. Our recruits tend to keep things a little more tight-lipped.
Ultimately you never know until a kid pulls the trigger. Glad Quickley plans on wrapping it up in September.

You guys probably think you get Williamson AND Barrett, right?

It's not like you guys have a bunch of guys likely coming back on the wings like Newman, Vick, and Cunliffe or transfers like the Lawson brothers waiting in the wings.

I think Self knew this was going to be a slim class for KU, which is why he grabbed the Lawson brothers and Moore off the waiver wire.

Grimes will probably be your top recruit. And that is probably for the best for you guys. You have experienced guys who are already proven college players.

Grimes, Newman, Lawson, Lawson, and Azubuike starting with Moore and Cunliffe off the bench. You guys need a backup big is all and you should be good to go.

Maybe Self can avoid the drama that his recent big name guys (Alexander, Diallo, Jackson) seem to bring with them if he doesn't get a big name player.

The Lawsons were taken as 2018 is a weak class for bigs and Dedric is better than anything available in that class. Newman and Vick won't be back. Cunliffe has looked average in Italy against weak competition. Moore is a back-up. We will land Grimes and either Dotson or Quinerly (probably Dotson). That leaves a ton of playing time available at all positions.

The Lawsons were taken as 2018 is a weak class for bigs and Dedric is better than anything available in that class. Newman and Vick won't be back. Cunliffe has looked average in Italy against weak competition. Moore is a back-up. We will land Grimes and either Dotson or Quinerly (probably Dotson). That leaves a ton of playing time available at all positions.

Where are they going?

Neither one looks like a sure fire pro prospect, so are they already going to transfer?

Wait.. let me guess... they are on the Mason, Graham, and Mykhailiuk fast track to the NBA plan.

Sorry, you are right, they are definitely leaving early. No one ever stays four years at KU. Ya'll have tons of room.

Cal should find which of the top3 PG's is the most pass-first floor general, instead of a 30-shots-a-game ball hog like Kyrie Irving.. grab that recruit and let the rest of the class follow suite. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Everyone wants to play with guys like Ulis, Fox, Green and now Quickley

With Cal's history of batting close to a thousand with PGs, Quickley is here unless Kentucky, for some reason, didn't want him. It's about as sure of a recruit we've had under Cal.

Grab Quickley. That's our first play.. your move, Kansas.

Reactions: BBUK
Williamson's quote is basically a paraphrase of Cal's recruiting pitch.

He's playing off the package deal because it's so obvious where Quickley is headed and he wants a small bit of drama in his recruitment/he's following Cal's plan of orchestrating the announcements.

Please KU fans continue posting here. Great stuff.

I go by what Cal always says. We will eat first regardless.

UK signs IQ, Zion, they will sign Barrett or Reddish, they sign the other Canadian as well
I schit you not. I think they also get Isiah Williams or get lucky to get a Bol or if Bagley does not get clearance this year. Just a tea leaves look. Cal loves Reddish and his game, loves the star power of Zion, he may most popular kid out there not named LeBron, Steph, Harding, Durant, Westbrooks. Zion is up there.

IMHO, i think they are a package deal
i think Quickley commits first and wants his buddy to also have his moment when he commits

This is the same situation as Diallo, Richards, and Bamba saying they wanted to play with Green in this past recruiting cycle.

Those were not package deals. They each made their own decision. Two of the three ended up here with Green.

There's a much better chance that Wiliamson is here if Quickley is here than if he is not. But nothing is guaranteed. Williamson still makes his own decision separate from Quickley.

For a team that misses top recruits the way kansas has, you still think you're getting these guys. Lol. You guys are so typical.

As a UK fan I have zero fears that you'll pull anyone from UK that we want.

Go find a few transfers. They love UKUjr.

I think there's two kinds of package deals.

1. The kind where players go to a school *because* another guy is going there. This is usually the case with siblings/twins (Morris, Lawson, Lopez, etc) or with really close friends/teammates (I think Lewis and Antoine will do this in 19).

2. The kind where players start talking about teaming up because they both lean/favor one or two of the same schools. This is your Jones/Okafor, Quincy Miller/Deuce Bello territory. You're considering school X as a favorite, a guy you know from the circuit is too, and it's natural to talk about "what if we teamed up?"

I think Quickley has been done for a while, and I think we're one of Zion's top 2 schools (at worst), so between two guys who are already friends and have played together on the circuit, it's a natural conversation to have. They fall into group 2.

I think there's two kinds of package deals.

1. The kind where players go to a school *because* another guy is going there. This is usually the case with siblings/twins (Morris, Lawson, Lopez, etc) or with really close friends/teammates (I think Lewis and Antoine will do this in 19).

2. The kind where players start talking about teaming up because they both lean/favor one or two of the same schools. This is your Jones/Okafor, Quincy Miller/Deuce Bello territory. You're considering school X as a favorite, a guy you know from the circuit is too, and it's natural to talk about "what if we teamed up?"

I think Quickley has been done for a while, and I think we're one of Zion's top 2 schools (at worst), so between two guys who are already friends and have played together on the circuit, it's a natural conversation to have. They fall into group 2.

Is anyone even recruiting Quickley anymore?

The joke going around Vegas is that all the coaches said we will wait on UK and Duke then we will figure out who we can sign. These were blue blood programs and coaches saying this, programs mentioned in this thread. Ariz. is third in the pecking order now, KU is about 4th or 5th, Ariz is starting to get a lot of the marquee West coast guys. Kentucky has gotten the best Texas players in Randle, Fox, a 5 star this year. KU used to clean up there.

Cal says Kentucky will eat first whatever the rules are, one and done, 2 and done, go out of HS.

The joke going around Vegas is that all the coaches said we will wait on UK and Duke then we will figure out who we can sign. These were blue blood programs and coaches saying this, programs mentioned in this thread. Ariz. is third in the pecking order now, KU is about 4th or 5th, Ariz is starting to get a lot of the marquee West coast guys. Kentucky has gotten the best Texas players in Randle, Fox, a 5 star this year. KU used to clean up there.

Cal says Kentucky will eat first whatever the rules are, one and done, 2 and done, go out of HS.
What are you hearing on the 18 class/bagley

IQ, Zion, Reddish or Barrett, Isiah Williams and the new big kid who plays like a young AD, if one big then maybe a combo guard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT