ADVERTISEMENT

UofL appeal made public

If a mother of an underage recruit had decided to go public and actually attempted some type of litigation vs UL, they would have been toast long ago.

A settlement would be a devastating admission and a trial would have revealed Lord knows what.

Cards are lucky they do not have the external social pressures a lawsuit from a parent would have provoked with much more media attention.

Translation....every parent was paid off or one of them would surely file a lawsuit

Reactions: brianpoe
I can't see how the NCAA will allow that to become the precedent.

Very good post and assessment. I just don't see how the NCAA can set a "5 year retroactive reinstatement" precedent.

The reinstatement "deal" usually involves HS recruits who may have gotten food and travel costs from an AAU coach or something like that.
The reinstatement "deal" can apply to a college player that "unknowingly" received a benefit from a booster without knowing it, lunch tab, motel room, etc. A little more of a stretch than the HS kid, but "could" happen.

UL's predicament however involves the benefits being received directly from a coach on the staff over a 4 year period, and for a "benefit" that the recipients should very well have been known (we're talking juniors and seniors here) to be impermissable.

IIRC, there was testimony from a former player (transfer?) that the the hooker parties were "common knowledge throughout the program", or something along those lines. This along with the unnamed assistant blaming a poor practice on a "stripper party". The "blame it all on AM" take is so very, very, very lame and pretty much total BS.

UL's sniveling about not punishing the whole team, taking away the FF and title is BS as well. Maybe Luke Hancock and other goody two shoes never participated in the festivities - against their moral standards, they had girlfriends they respected, not their thing, etc., etc. But they HAD TO HAVE KNOWN this stuff was going on. The fact that none of them informed Rick (or maybe they knew that he knew...???) makes them culpable and also bearing of guilt. So sorry your college career is toast, if you're feeling that bad about it go look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourselves some tough questions.

Also hard to see how UL's defiant stance can help them, the centerpiece being Rick clinging to his "I didn't know" mantra along with not even being to acknowledge any slightest bit of responsibility of maybe he "at least" should have known. I mean it can only be one of two things, either he didn't know or he pretty much lost control over his program for 4 years. How can UL's post penalty reaction a few months ago and now the wording of the appeal, be doing them any favors.

One other thing that keeps coming to my mind that seems to be lost in the "hooker" facet is that the parties also provided alcohol (and in the form of liquor, not beer) to the 16 and 17 year old kids. Not as bad as the hooker deals I suppose, but still incredibly, incredibly irresponsible.

Really hard to see how UL can gain any traction with their appeal. Who on the committee wants to go on record as reducing appropriate penalties for a program that used hookers and alcohol to entertain their recruits. It is sad enough to see grown men try and argue for a reduction and "prostitute" themselves in the process (pun full intended!).

Reactions: bigbluelou
My point exactly. Dont count the chickens until they hatch. I understand the NCAA has spoken, and what they have said is right, but the appeals committee has not spoken.

We've got a lot of UL fans sitting around at home, probably playing video games all day and smoking etc with nothing to do, claiming they "work from home" that are trying every angle possible to find reason to keep the banners.

Save the celebration for when those bad boys are descending to the dusty floor of the Yum center
You make it sound like the appeals committee rehears the case, they do not. They have a very narrow job assessing whether or not errors were made. That's it.

In addition to my point above about the purpose of vacating games, I would also like to address Louisville's argument about "reinstatement" from a logical standpoint. I get the argument, and it makes sense in the abstract. Louisville contends that because a player WAS reinstated at the end, then that would have happened to the other players during. But there is at least one fatal flaw to this argument: This was not an isolated instance. In other words, that argument only holds water if something happened one time several years ago and it just so happens that the instance was not discovered until years later, long after any game suspension would have been in effect. Here, however, this was an ongoing scheme of cheating. The school and players were continually violating NCAA rules. In such a scenario, it makes no sense to say "but if this would have been discovered and stopped at a certain point in time, then the players would have been eligible again after a few games." That is not what happened. The violations occurred over and over. You don't get to pick an arbitrary point in time to hypothetically end the violations in order to save your banner. When the violations are continuing during an entire period, there is no going back at that point. That entire period needs to be wiped out.

Moreover, as I stated earlier in this thread, the argument also fails because if you allow teams to cheat but argue that no games should be vacated because the players could have regained eligibility if discovered earlier, then you are basically incentivizing teams to not come forward when they discover violations because if they can keep them hidden until after a player's playing days are over, then there is no harm in terms of losing potential games.
There is another more glaring difference. That single player actually had eligibility left if he was reinstated. For the others the eligibility bell had been rung and there is no way to unring a bell.

Works for me. I'd love to see the banners lowered quickly while Pitino is still there but have the stinking suspicion that the NCAA purposely has drug this out so they can sweep it under the rug. Anybody that says they are 100 percent sure that the NCAA will do the right thing is delusional.
UL's appeal is a final, desperate act. They are toast. Have you read the NCAA report? Do you really believe the NCAA would write and publish a document that says what that document says in plain English, then reverse themselves a couple of months later? Not going to happen.

If a mother of an underage recruit had decided to go public and actually attempted some type of litigation vs UL, they would have been toast long ago.

A settlement would be a devastating admission and a trial would have revealed Lord knows what.

Cards are lucky they do not have the external social pressures a lawsuit from a parent would have provoked with much more media attention.
That's an interesting point. But if a parent did file civil litigation against UL, UL's expensive attorneys would settle the case without a trial, and cut the parent a large check with a confidentiality clause in the agreement. In other words, a civil filing may have already happened, but we will never hear anything about it in public. The only facts we will hear will be those described in the NCAA report.

That's an interesting point. But if a parent did file civil litigation against UL, UL's expensive attorneys would settle the case without a trial, and cut the parent a large check with a confidentiality clause in the agreement. In other words, a civil filing may have already happened, but we will never hear anything about it in public. The only facts we will hear will be those described in the NCAA report.

Although I would assume the filing procedure itself would still be public, even if the content is sealed?

UL's appeal is a final, desperate act. They are toast. Have you read the NCAA report? Do you really believe the NCAA would write and publish a document that says what that document says in plain English, then reverse themselves a couple of months later? Not going to happen.

Why do some of you want to argue with and call anybody that says they don't trust the NCAA either a UL fan or dumb? You have no clue what the NCAA will do as they are slime, just like Louisville. To act like YOU know it's a 100% done deal is laughable based on the NCAA's history.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoxterS
Why do some of you want to argue with and call anybody that says they don't trust the NCAA either a UL fan or dumb? You have no clue what the NCAA will do as they are slime, just like Louisville. To act like YOU know it's a 100% done deal is laughable based on the NCAA's history.
Well, looking back thru cases, which I have done, a successful appeal is very rare. So theres that.

Well, looking back thru cases, which I have done, a successful appeal is very rare. So theres that.

You actually looked back thru cases relating to UL's? Please tell me you are joking. Maybe you're a lawyer. The one's I know will argue with anybody, and are never wrong.

Reactions: BoxterS
You actually looked back thru cases relating to UL's? Please tell me you are joking. Maybe you're a lawyer. The one's I know will argue with anybody, and are never wrong.
Related to UL's? That has no relevance. That's a Zipp angle. My point is, errors are found rarely. The appeals committee can't do anything without an error having happened. Go look for yourself.

I posted this on another forum regarding the "reinstatement" argument, which I think is the strongest argument made, though likely still futile:

The problem with the reinstatement argument, which is still a necessary and somewhat persuasive argument, is that the example player may not have (and likely was not) involved in the more egregious acts. But I get it. Louisville is arguing, understandably, that while they should be punished badly for what happened overall, the vacation of games and money is a separate issue that revolves solely around the ineligibility of players -- i.e., it should not turn on how bad the actual violations were by the school.

I don't think that will fly in the end because of the scale of this, the nature, and the fact that no matter how much you speculate about what would have happened the players still played while technically ineligible. What Louisville's argument does is open a huge can of worms where so long as a player is not caught until after they have finished playing, then they and the school can never be punished for playing while ineligible. I can't see how the NCAA will allow that to become the precedent. And if Louisville concedes that some games should be vacated, but not all, then how on earth do you determine what games should be vacated? That would be a completely arbitrary and useless exercise.

They are guilty, let them burn, and let UNC be next.

Eric Crawford's 6 take aways from the appeal:
1. Car and prostitutes comparisons
2 Precedents?
3 plea for banner seasons
4 UofL's strongfest argument
5 the banner
6 final odds

http://www.wdrb.com/story/36126940/crawford-a-deeper-look-at-u-of-ls-ncaa-appeal-6-takeaways

“No team should ever lose a banner. It is a useless sanction that unduly harms the innocent.” - Jay Bilas

Brilliant analysis there Jay. So there is nothing that a player or school could do that would justify losing a banner. Entire seasons if you don't win a championship but not a banner.

Didn't they say it was unfair for the current (2016) players to miss out on the tournament since they weren't involved and were therefore innocent? So if you can't punish a school retroactively and you can't punish them currently what the hell punishment is left?!

How can anyone say the NCAA is setting a precedent with these "draconian" penalties and not acknowledge that ul set a precedent with the infractions? This wasn't the typical "extra benefit" situation. Did they honestly expect the NCAA to have specific language in the rule book prohibiting hiring whores for players and recruits along with specific penalties?

Hey ul fans, it isn't written in the books and no one has been punished for it before, but it will be frowned upon if your coaches take a few players and kidnap a recruit's mother to get him to sign. You're welcome in advance.

i think they actually do have rules against providing sex for players
paying for sex is on a whole new level

the NCAA is going to laugh their A$$E$ off when ul says, we are guilty every year except the banner years

Brian i wonder if part of the immunity agreement the recruits got was not to bring a lawsuit

Reactions: brianpoe
Related to UL's? That has no relevance. That's a Zipp angle. My point is, errors are found rarely. The appeals committee can't do anything without an error having happened. Go look for yourself.
the last time ul was in serious trouble an error is the only thing that saved them from the potential death penalty

i think this time around the NCAA dotted every I and crossed every T
the appeal is going to fail

Clean the language up.
It's rather pathetic that like no UL fan (except @beasleythecard who is pretty cool) will actually call out and condem all this behavior.

The whole "we only had sex/ hookers during our NON Final Four and Title season" is laughable, disgusting and oozes desperation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Jones crushed this paragraph from UofL's appeal today, this is basically what he said

89Zzkkov3mL8DFPLeHcd7plrAqKbf2D27-a6Ou-CVMGn9d2bJqJDqLNIFpSgKBhTyPr22p6XmyfDPGcXrHS2t29Yxqd6jfzujZxmbmzpt6YBBOnbzCv_L7hqOEEzeqH8WXTU8G5N

Unwanted benefit- well we know without question the benefit was sex. UofL claims that it was unwanted. This is objectively and definitively RAPE that UofL is describing. They are using rape as their defense. UofL is saying these recruits came on campus, under their watch, in their basketball dorms and were raped under the supervision of one of their coaches, and UofL’s staff was paying for it all. And then call the whole thing a minor benefit. This is their actual agrument. Absolutely no shame.

Even though the NCAA said: we dont care how much the sex acts were worth, its not the amount of the violation, its the nature of the violation, which they refer to as severe and repugnant, UofL still compares it to a car ride worth 150$. UofL is basically saying: Prostituting minors and a car ride are about the same thing. Absleoluty no shame and or no self awareness.

Student athlete was neither culpable nor received some meaningful benefit?
So UofL does not consider sex meaningful, fine. But the student was not culpable? The players knew what was going on and said nothing. The NCAA report said these sex parties were common knowledge and that at least 3 coachers were aware of them.

As Tim Sullivan states “It’s hard to believe McGee could have staged so many sex parties at Billy Minardi Hall without at least one of the residents recognizing the damage disclosure could do to the basketball program. It’s hard to excuse participating players for failing to alert their coaches to a multi-year scandal that has already cost the university millions of dollars, an NCAA Tournament appearance and an incalculable amount of reputation. Andre McGee deserves to be permanently disassociated from his alma mater and banned from college coaching, but he is not the only one who bears responsibility for this fiasco. At least some U of L players participated, placed their school in peril and remained silent."

“No team should ever lose a banner. It is a useless sanction that unduly harms the innocent.” - Jay Bilas

Brilliant analysis there Jay. So there is nothing that a player or school could do that would justify losing a banner. Entire seasons if you don't win a championship but not a banner.

Didn't they say it was unfair for the current (2016) players to miss out on the tournament since they weren't involved and were therefore innocent? So if you can't punish a school retroactively and you can't punish them currently what the hell punishment is left?!
He is just saying that , be cause his UNCheat boss that runs ESPN told him to !

If otis loses the appeal, and they actually do go to court, will the banner remain until the lawsuit is settled?

How did so many of the mafia stay out of prison? Basically dealing with same type of people at UL. Got to believe they probably have the money to buy their way out and certainly have no qualms to lie about things.

There is another more glaring difference. That single player actually had eligibility left if he was reinstated. For the others the eligibility bell had been rung and there is no way to unring a bell.

So they had a bunch of players receiving benefits they wasn't allowed making them INELIGIBLE. They played a ton of games they should not have played in. So UL is saying had they known it, they would have suspended them for a game or two and then they would let them come back and play.

How does this connect with them not suspending them and allowing them to continue and play? IF they really didn't know about them, what does that have to do with playing inelgible players. It happened, and can't be taken back.

It's like UL is saying that they are good people and if they had known about it they would have been mad and suspended them. What does that have ANYTHING to do about it? In reality, there is a pretty good chance they knew about it and just kept quite.

So they had a bunch of players receiving benefits they wasn't allowed making them INELIGIBLE. They played a ton of games they should not have played in. So UL is saying had they known it, they would have suspended them for a game or two and then they would let them come back and play.

How does this connect with them not suspending them and allowing them to continue and play? IF they really didn't know about them, what does that have to do with playing inelgible players. It happened, and can't be taken back.

It's like UL is saying that they are good people and if they had known about it they would have been mad and suspended them. What does that have ANYTHING to do about it? In reality, there is a pretty good chance they knew about it and just kept quite.
No, it's about NCAA reinstatement after a student-athlete has received impermissible benefits. Only one, Mathiang, still had eligibility if he was reinstated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT