ADVERTISEMENT

***********UK vs KU********** game thread

We've been grinding it out on offense from the very start of the game. Were you upset when we were running the shot clock down and winning in the first half?

Nope I was upset when Self made adjustments and took that approach completely away and yet Cal still tried pounding a square peg in a round hole.

If you haven't noticed yet, he's stubborn to a fault and does not walk on water.

See Wisconsin last year for an even worse and infamous example.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
I know people wanna blame the refs but this team has a serious issue. They cannot play D without fouling.
Wrong. It's funny how we can play D without fouling 4 guys out everywhere else but not at KU. This game wasn't called the same on both ends and it dam sure wasn't called in the second half the way it was called in the first.

Reactions: Brando Mac
I've said it for the last few years but, Cal tries to salt away games by going too conservative at or near the end. He almost lost the Championship in '12 with this same shit. It's what he does fans.
This, class, is called confirmation bias. It's for simpletons. It produces the kind of people who genuinely don't see the pattern when they insist year after year that the backup QB is the best on the team.

If no matter how well your guy performs, you're always looking at the mistakes and announcing that (insert alternative method here) is clearly superior, you are a simpleton.

It's amazing how many goldfish-ass people we have who don't understand Cal's monsterous record in close games and only remember the relatively few Ls.

This board has so many pathetic posters it's unreal.
obviously "we" didn't watch the game - at least that's what I was told
I know who you're talking about

Regardless - I am proud of our Cats. I think they have turned a corner and will finish out the season well

Kansas fouled like crazy in first half. So, you think it's on the up and up they could all of a sudden guard in the 2nd half. They've been a terrible defensive team just about all season. They won that Oklahoma game the same way they did this one. 8 on 5.

Wrong. It's funny how we can play D without fouling 4 guys out everywhere else but not at KU. This game wasn't called the same on both ends and it dam sure wasn't called in the second half the way it was called in the first.

You might have a case if it was specific to this game. But we've had this issue all year long.

When does it not become about the refs and becomes hey these guys can't play D without fouling. Lee, Poy, Skal.......they are fouling machines. It doesn't seem to matter who the refs are

if we had all of our players i think the outcome would be different. Kansas wasn't catching do that Kansas switch defense us without free throws. Plus to the morons blaming our coach for slowing it down, he didn't slow it down they switched defenses, and we had less players in there so they cramped down on the players of ours who were playing decent Murry and Ullis.

I don't think Cal slowed tge offense down guy, I just think KU made the right adjustments and took Ulis out. If Ulis doesn't have room to operate UK is nowhere near as efficient.
Proud of this team though, if this game was played anywhere else UK wins easily.
I can't believe the free throw discrepancy. We really weren't allowed to play defense, once we got into foul trouble we were screwed. KU never got to that point. I'll leave it at that.

Kansas switched to that zone and took Murray and Ulis out. The other three defenders could pack the paint because we had nobody capable of hitting a jumper. Willis foul trouble/fouling out hurt us here.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
We had 9 seconds to get a shot to win. Everyone and their mama knows we aint winning in OT. We had time. Tyler either shoots or let's Murray drive the ball. cal calls a play and it just didn't work. He called the wrong play, but I can't complain. We should have won in reg despite the atrocious refs and the home court advantage. We should have won this game in reg. That's all.

I mean we ranked 198th in defensive free throw rate and that was BEFORE this game.

Anyone who can't see this as an issue is just lying to themselves at this point.

Reactions: fatguy87
They beat us on the boards...AARGH×/$!=!#%
think you all know how I feel...

Even with Cal's poor performance it's hard to get beyond us having 4 guys foul out while Kans-ass still has all their starters at the end of the game. Not meant for UK to win this game. Predetermined.

The pumpers need to go sit on a hot poker. Cal is not that good of a floor coach. It is what it is. Love the guy but he does stupid things in big games.

Always good to get the opinion of someone who has played the game and just not a couch potato.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
I mean we ranked 198th in defensive free throw rate and that was BEFORE this game.

Anyone who can't see this as an issue is just lying to themselves at this point.

No Cal has no issues with free throw shooting.

None.

We will he then when they matter.

Always good to get the opinion of someone who has played the game and just not a couch potato.

I played football in college. I coach high school ball.

I know well enough to understand Cals rep as a floor coach is well deserved.

Go pump on a poker.

We had 9 seconds to get a shot to win. Everyone and their mama knows we aint winning in OT. We had time. Tyler either shoots or let's Murray drive the ball. cal calls a play and it just didn't work. He called the wrong play, but I can't complain. We should have won in reg despite the atrocious refs and the home court advantage. We should have won this game in reg. That's all.
I agree with this 100%. But, when Cal sat Murray in OT, and left Briscoe on the floor to drive the ball over and over, we were doomed.

Hack a Shaq all over again.

Reactions: new era cat
We'll be fine.

I'm actually more positive about this team after this game than I was before. This was always gonna be tough. We took them to OT. Before our guys starting fouling out we basically controlled the game.

I'm proud of this team. I think we will go far in March.
whatchoo said

if we had all of our players i think the outcome would be different. Kansas wasn't catching do that Kansas switch defense us without free throws. Plus to the morons blaming our coach for slowing it down, he didn't slow it down they switched defenses, and we had less players in there so they cramped down on the players of ours who were playing decent Murry and Ullis.

Obviously they have never seen a triangle and 2. Can't blame Cal for that though -- he is only the coach...

So prouD of our team tonight. 47 free throws is too much for anyone to overcome.

We proved we're legit

He absolutely did say this!! Come on Cal!

The problem is that no one else is prepared to come into the game at the end and score or get tot he line. In a typical game you might take him out and put in Skal or Lee, but they had both fouled out. So then where do you turn? Oddly enough Cal chose Hawkins. I think this was a terrible idea. Mulder, IMO, should have been the choice considering that Mulder has actually played recently and at least does a good job of getting rebounds and hustling. Hawkins has value as a defender, but he did not help us in this game with 3 missed 3s and a couple defensive lapses.

ADVERTISEMENT