ADVERTISEMENT

UK Unveils 2018 Football Schedule

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY
Kentucky Unveils 2018 Football Schedule
Jeff Drummond | Managing Editor

Cats to play four of first five games at Kroger Field, travel to Texas A&M for first matchup with Aggies since they joined the SEC.

bqcyeqqh1gbv4khandal

Mark Stoops' team will play four of its first five games at home in 2018.

Kentucky released its 2018 football schedule on Tuesday, a slate that features seven home games and the first matchup with Texas A&M since the Aggies joined the Southeastern Conference.

The Wildcats will open the season on Sept. 1 at Kroger Field against Central Michigan. The Chippewas are a familiar MAC opponent for UK, having played six times since 1983.

Mark Stoops' squad jumps right into league play the following week, traveling to The Swamp on Sept. 8 to face Florida. The Cats will be battling the Gators this weekend to determine whether that will be a 31-game winning streak for Florida or UK seeking back to back wins for the first time in the series since 1976 and 1977.

Four of the first five games are at home next season. Murray State, Mississippi State and South Carolina will visit Lexington consecutively on Sept. 15, 22 and 29. The game against the Racers will mark only the second meeting in series history. UK defeated Murray State 37-6 in 2003.

On Oct. 6 Kentucky will travel to Texas A&M for the first time since 1952. The Cats have yet to face the Aggies since they joined the SEC in 2012. The only two meetings between UK and A&M were in 1952 (a 10-7 win by the Cats) and 1953 (a 7-6 win by the Aggies). A year later, Paul "Bear" Bryant would move from Lexington to College Station, Texas, to lead that program.

The open date comes on Oct. 13, followed by a home game against Vanderbilt on Oct. 20.

Kentucky travels to Missouri on Oct. 27, play host to Georgia on Nov. 3, and pay a visit to Tennessee on Nov. 10.

The Cats wrap up the regular season with a non-conference game against Middle Tennessee at Kroger Field on Nov. 17, which will be Senior Day, followed by the annual Governor's Cup clash with Louisville on Nov. 24 at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.

UK 2018 SCHEDULE:

Sept. 1 CENTRAL MICHIGAN

Sept. 8 at Florida

Sept. 15 MURRAY STATE

Sept. 22 MISSISSIPPI STATE

Sept. 29 SOUTH CAROLINA

Oct. 6 at Texas A&M

Oct. 13 Open Date

Oct. 20 VANDERBILT

Oct. 27 at Missouri

Nov. 3 GEORGIA

Nov. 10 at Tennessee

Nov. 17 MIDDLE TENNESSEE

Nov. 24 at Louisville

If anyone is looking for a fun road game next year, I can't recommend A&M enough. I have been to 2 games there and just a ton of fun, including the night before at Midnight Yell practice.

Reactions: Smashcat
I have been saying this ever since aTm joined the conference...make this your 2018 road trip. It won't happen again for a long time.

I was down there for a game in the mid-90s and it was absolutely the most awesome game day experience I have ever witnessed. I say that having been to tOSU, TN, AL, ND, Clemson and others I can't remember right now. :D

Peace

Not sure how I feel about it just yet. Tough as ever I suppose. I guess I'm worried that we lose a lot to graduation and maybe some talented JR's possibly jumping to the draft after this year.

I think we can get bowl eligible, but it's really going to be a very different team. So glad we' e recruited well and have built some quality depth, but so many unknowns. Just another reason I'm so hopeful we do something really special this year!!

I though we had a home and away with Eastern Mich jdrum?
They go to Ypsilanti in 2019. Keeps the seven home game schedule and not the eight. Louisville on the road is the away non conference game. Don't only want six home games by going to both little brother and eastern Michigan.

If anyone is looking for a fun road game next year, I can't recommend A&M enough. I have been to 2 games there and just a ton of fun, including the night before at Midnight Yell practice.

Definitely going to make trip to College Station. Had this game and trip circled on the calender since the day the Aggies entered the SEC.

Might as well head to A&M. With the out-dated 8-game SEC schedule, I might be dead before the Cats play down there again.

Definitely do it. As I posted above, I have been there for games against Nebraska and Iowa State back in the early 2000's. Worth the trip!
Where did you stay? Preliminary hotel accommodations don't look promising (at least at a reasonable price point).

Where did you stay? Preliminary hotel accommodations don't look promising (at least at a reasonable price point).
I have a good friend that works at A&M, so can't help you out there...unless you wanna sleep on his couch.

FWIW I stayed in Houston and drove up (about 100 miles or so). Highway between Houston and College Station probably far more "populated" now than back then.

Friday night Yell Practice is pretty cool but is really more of a student body thing. As a visitor, assuming things are pretty much the same as they were years ago, you want to be in the stadium early to watch the various "entrances" (Corp of Cadets, Band, Team). Time I was there they had a big military exhibition outside the stadium. Sadly, they no longer do bonfire as they did so many years for the TX game.

Peace

ADVERTISEMENT