ADVERTISEMENT

UK/UL Rivalry Could Be What...

Jan 11, 2013
Paducah
Rivalries are a huge part of sports, and has been since the beginning. The UK and UL rivalry is no different. In the state of Kentucky, our bouts with Louisville are magnified and is put atop the pedestal of bragging rights to the state's top dog status. With so much emotion tied to the rivalry, it makes it one of the most important to the two teams thwarted into it than perhaps all of sports.

There are many fans that have warranted skepticism of Cal, while others have their minds made up and want him out immediately. Then there is the side that still backs Cal, and wants to see him climb Kentucky and himself back to the top of the college basketball mecca.

I have been pondering this rivalry since Cal's long time friend and ex-assistant took over the job and the implications that could follow. While Kenny Payne seems to be on a hot streak on the recruiting trial, many are worrying about their own team.

At UK, the expectation of beating Louisville every year as amounted into an enormous mountain of pressure, even larger than the mountain of money Cal is owed thanks to his lifetime contract. Here, it is beat UL first and foremost.

This is leading into the next season like a well-written TV drama that have people on the edge of our seat. If Cal can't retain UK's dominance of the state of Kentucky, what could it lead to? Could his old pal Kenny, be the one to slay the king and put to bed Cal's reign over Kentucky basketball?

The irony of this imminent situation is blindsided not only UK, but the rest of the college basketball landscape. After all, this could be the reason that leads us into finding our new head coach.

It is apparent that Mitch has given Cal a get-out-of-jail free card, giving him a mulligan on UK's worse season in history, and arguably it's worse loss in their long NCAA Tournament in their legendary history. But with the Kentucky and Louisville rivalry still at the forefront of "must-wins," would that finally be enough for Kentucky's AD to say enough is enough? Most fans will accept a couple of bad seasons or losses, but seeing our rival becoming a legitimate threat again and back on the college basketball landscape is another. Even more, if Louisville tips the scale back in their favor in the rivalry, it will most likely be the straw that broke camel's back.

Pay close attention to this developing situation, as it could get very interesting in the Bluegrass State, possibly historic.

Reactions: kl40504
Payne hot on the recruiting trail? The courier journal did a story on that kid that originally signed with Mack, and now resigned again with Kenny....what they dont tell you is the kid is 40th in the country. aka...he sucks and he's their best player so far. But by CJ's article you'd think he's the next Jordan.

UL is going to be awful for a while. All this hoopla comes to an end next fall when people realize they still have a long way to go.

When Indiana was Indiana that was a big rivalry. Louisville is. More regional product and we can have the second best rivalry behind Duke and Carolina with them. It will never top it.

If Indiana becomes Indiana again that game has the ability to be the biggest. Natural animosity and historic accomplishments.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Payne hot on the recruiting trail? The courier journal did a story on that kid that originally signed with Mack, and now resigned again with Kenny....what they dont tell you is the kid is 40th in the country. aka...he sucks and he's their best player so far. But by CJ's article you'd think he's the next Jordan.

UL is going to be awful for a while. All this hoopla comes to an end next fall when people realize they still have a long way to go.
Pertaining to DJ Wagner and Louisville's momentum, I would say so. Just because they haven't signed a top recruit yet, doesn't mean they aren't hot on the recruiting trail. What happens if they are able to steal Wagner from Cal's grip?

Reactions: EKYCard643
When Indiana was Indiana that was a big rivalry. Louisville is. More regional product and we can have the second best rivalry behind Duke and Carolina with them. It will never top it.

If Indiana becomes Indiana again that game has the ability to be the biggest. Natural animosity and historic accomplishments.
Good points and am aware of their past rivalry. But UK and UL's rivalry will never go away. I am saying, what happens if/when Louisville starts to teeter the rivalry in their way? Fans and our department will not put up with it. If this does happen, I believe there is no way Cal isn't run out of Lexington.

Good points and am aware of their past rivalry. But UK and UL's rivalry will never go away. I am saying, what happens if/when Louisville starts to teeter the rivalry in their way? Fans and our department will not put up with it. If this does happen, I believe there is no way Cal isn't run out of Lexington.
I know the the rivalry won’t go away. It’s just a more regional game nationally. It’s why it’s game time and date has been odd. The Indiana Kentucky game was a bigger deal at one time and they both have bigger brands when they are right.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Pertaining to DJ Wagner and Louisville's momentum, I would say so. Just because they haven't signed a top recruit yet, doesn't mean they aren't hot on the recruiting trail. What happens if they are able to steal Wagner from Cal's grip?
Even if they get Wagner its not a great team. Thats like Cal taking over and just getting john Wall.

I think you've been reading the UL media and fan posts too much. Cards are gonna suck for a while and im still not sold that Kenny is the right coach. Reminds me a little of Penny, lots of talk but theyre awful....and Penny had better players.

I know the the rivalry won’t go away. It’s just a more regional game nationally. It’s why it’s game time and date has been odd. The Indiana Kentucky game was a bigger deal at one time and they both have bigger brands when they are right.
What would happen when the Kenny Payne led Cardinals comes in and beats us next season? Could there be implications and how big? The Indiana and Kentucky rivalry doesn't take away from the UL and UK rivalry, and I would say that their rivalry isn't just regional.

Even if they get Wagner its not a great team. Thats like Cal taking over and just getting john Wall.

I think you've been reading the UL media and fan posts too much. Cards are gonna suck for a while and im still not sold that Kenny is the right coach. Reminds me a little of Penny, lots of talk but theyre awful....and Penny had better players.
I don't read any UL media. I am just bringing up a potential predicament that seems to be overlooked.

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
So. Basketball will still be basketball and this board will explode in a negative way regardless.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
IMO that will be the final straw that breaks the Camels back and somehow KY and CAL part ways unless CAL makes a deep run next season. Cal is guaranteed next season and the season after if he lands Wagner and a deep class to go along with Sheppard.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
So. Basketball will still be basketball and this board will explode in a negative way regardless.
Totally agree. My point was that the people wanting Cal out, might want to hope for Louisville beating us next season. If that happens, the house of cards would really fall.

IMO that will be the final straw that breaks the Camels back and somehow KY and CAL part ways unless CAL makes a deep run next season. Cal is guaranteed next season and the season after if he lands Wagner and a deep class to go along with Sheppard.
Bingo! That was the exact point I was trying to get to. This is being overlooked by many, and that game could be one of the most important for Kentucky and Cal's future.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
That would make Louisville the greatest recruiters ever assembled. I mean, if they were to recruit a kid who legend has it calls Kenny "Uncle" then no way they aren't a recruiting machine. What if nephew goes to the rivals down 64 though?

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Bingo! That was the exact point I was trying to get to. This is being overlooked by many, and that game could be one of the most important for Kentucky and Cal's f

Totally agree. My point was that the people wanting Cal out, might want to hope for Louisville beating us next season. If that happens, the house of cards would really fall.
Whoa! Did you just say cheer for the Cards over UK? You lost your damn mind son? Bill Keightley to Rick Pitino. I can't cheer for Louisville over Duke. You need to take that talk to the Louisville board

Whoa! Did you just say cheer for the Cards over UK? You lost your damn mind son? Bill Keightley to Rick Pitino. I can't cheer for Louisville over Duke. You need to take that talk to the Louisville board
No, absolutely not. What I implied was that the Cal haters might get their wish. Losing to the Cards would likely solidify Cal leaving.

I don’t think the UofL rivalry will impact Cal one way or the other. Even with who UofL has coming back and is in on in the portal - UKs likely winning next year. Cal will be impacted much more by the results of the coming season. Do well, make a deep run and he’s golden for one more year. The Wagner recruitment likely won’t impact anything either as long as his team performs well this year. Now is there a scenario where maybe UK has a mediocre season is a 3 or 4 seed and gets bounced opening weekend and Cal walks away? Yea but I don’t think the UofL rivalry aspect will have an impact because even if he beats UofL this year it’s not gonna matter if he loses in the second game of the tournament.

Cal will either right the ship and be on solid footing or the ship will sink and he’ll be gone before Kenny or the Louisville rivalry really has a chance to heat up because it’s one game a year and Cals on shaky ground right now.

Might need to pump the brakes on KP. RP was at UL for sometime UK owned him. Not sure if KP is the level coach RP has shown. KP might not even be a good head coach.
Even if he is. Very few coaches walk into nothing and pull out a deep tourney team. Hell I believe Cal really the only one in he modern era.

Davis and Lloyd did pretty good this year. But Davis aphid some talent stay and Lloyd DNA’s a solid structure of a program too. We will have to see how this year goes for them. KP walked into a shack with a brand new AD and a brand new president. That’s gonna be hard

And UofL isn’t UNC or Zona. All these talking heads can say UofL is a Top 5 job in college ball but I don’t buy that. Maybe at one time but certainly not now.

KP has a LOT of work cut out for him. A lot.

Root for the Cards. Not just no…but,,,,

HELL NO.

That’s a ban worthy offense right there.

Only time I even remotely want UofL to win is when they play Duke/UNC/KU.

If they play UT I pull for a power outage.

Root for the Cards. Not just no…but,,,,

HELL NO.

That’s a ban worthy offense right there.

Only time I even remotely want UofL to win is when they play Duke/UNC/KU.

If they play UT I pull for a power outage.
Idiocracy really does run deep here. If you can't comprehend something you read, I definitely wouldn't reply or give your thoughts.

Again, tell me where I said that I was going to root for Louisville to beat us, I'll wait? Maybe try not to take every word someone says literally.

I said that since so many on here are so adamant for Cal to leave, that it is a good possibility if Louisville does beat us, that they will get their wish.

I have read from the Cal haters on here many outrageous things. From Kentucky losing the next couple of years as a win as long as Cal is gone. Implying that they don't care if a transition to a new coach might be disastrous, but would be worth it as long as he is out the door. Even going as far as to say that they would rather UK be horrible for the next year or so. This is why it was worded as it was. I couldn't believe some of our fans would take Kentucky being at the very bottom just to get away from a coach. So if these same people wouldn't mind if didn't win a game after Cal left, they might as well want Louisville to beat us next year so that they would finally get their wish.

It seems as if you have misunderstood the whole post. That isn't my fault.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT